Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default CoTA Proposed Speedcast coverage

I decided to start a new thread as the other 3 or 4 CoTA threads are all over the place.
    It's quite amazing, this level of excitement...

Anyways I spoke w/ Clark Cambern tonight. He was the one that produced the excellent Mosport coverage from last year. The Speedcast crew did an amazing job; every person who viewed that coverage was blown away, with comments such as "Better than ANYTHING aired on Speed Channel in the last 15 years" being the norm.

We kicked around a few concepts, and decided I would ask a few questions and we could gauge the interest from there.

What would you guys like to see done with this first historical race at America's (ALL of 'em!) premier race facility?
    Runoffs type coverage?
    Expose type deal?
    Behind the scenes, car and driver vignettes?
    Similar to the above referenced Mosport deal?
    Something that could be used as a promotional vehicle?
    F1000 only, or include FA to spread the cost over approx twice the people?
    A show on our whole group - C/DSR and FA/B?

Thanks for any feedback.

GC

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Glenn, i would like the whole group,,,,,fb, fa , c and d , just one among many,,,,,,,bobo the large-o

Liked: 43

Coop,

I'm glad you made the call. Hopefully something can get worked out. I would sure like to see what they did for the Mosport race. Is there any link to view that event. It may be worth some series money between East and West to capture such an event for class recruitment. Talk about a class of car and drivers who have pooled together to form a race like this in just a few years. WOW!

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

If at all possible, YES ! I can't be there, but would like to help on funding... Many hands make for light work.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 0

I didn't see Nick Woodman on the list. Does he still have his Storh FB? Is there any chance that GoPro would sponsor the telecast? They seem to use his SCCA in car footage a lot in the commercials. I bought a GoPro for mountain bike racing partially because he is involved in FB and partially because of the value/quality of the product. If nothing else maybe they could put a camera or two in each car, so there is more footage available for promotional videos. Maybe every class will hit them up, but it might be worth asking.
    I wonder if I can figure out a way to be there during a cross country business trip with a loooong layover. J Best luck to all and have a great time!

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

He still has his Stohr. That footage is of Woodman at Thunderhill, with another I saw from the Laguna SCCA regional race in April last year.

We have tried on more than one occasion in the last three years to get GoPro involved in the West Coast F1000 Pro Series. At one time they were going to provide us with cameras. This was about two years ago. Then suddenly, we could no longer get in touch with anyone at the company. We evenually moved on to concentrate on those potential sponsors that would at least talk to us.

Last year from August to December I worked at GoPro as a contractor designing some new accessories. From the inside of the company I tried once again to get them interested in providing some assistance to the series. However, I spent most of the time trying to convince people in the marketing department that we had no association with the failed F1000 Championship series run by Jon Lewis. Apparently they gave them cameras and didn't get so much as a phone call back from them. They, to say the least, weren't happy about that experience. Even the fact I "kinda" know Nick Woodman and could talk directly with the marketing people at GoPro from within the company didn't help me. Getting a hold of Woodman directly is almost impossible. He's probably got all kinds of people coming at him all day long asking for sponsorship deals. The normal GoPro email he has will only give you a standard reply of thanks but I'm too busy to respond. I'm a little reluctant to use the one I know where it will actually get to him.

We've also tried on many occasions to get Nick Woodman to come to the races.
    He is as you can expect, very busy. He may show up at one race a year. He shows up when he shows up. Last year I gave him the winners trophy at one of our Laguna events. That was in April. When I encountered him in a meeting to present my design to him in September he barely remembered me. He did, but I had to remind him where it was. This even though I've met him on numerous occasions at races over the last few years.

Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 01.23.13 at 2:24 PM.

Liked: 0

Default So you're telling me there's a chance!

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Copeland View Post
    He still has his Stohr.
    [/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM[/FONT][/SIZE]

Always a chance!

Did forget to mention....We are thinking about how we can capture this moment on both video and still photography. We have a plan! Sort ah....

I've also talked to Speedcast before in the past as well. They are good value for the money. Maybe we could all pitch in for a "one off" speedcast.

Liked: 20

I'll give them back my GoPro from the F1000 Lewis series if they want. Would be great to have them involved in this race at Austin.

Disappointing they never got anything from it. Wonder if they would be interested in Speedcast's initial production or the footage. It was all shot with GoPros for the on track stuff.

On second thought, Lewis might try to sue them for using it.

*sigh*

As luck would have it, there might be another action camera company interested in getting involved. May even come on board as a sponsor. I'm currently hammering out the details. Hoping to have something in place by Austin.

Liked: 48

Default replay XD might be worth talking to

YOU might want to try Replay XD they have a VERY nice product and alreayd are involved with PRO MAzda and are happy with that deal

We've used them with some good success ..

As well the RaceOptic system is a wee big but works awesome !

Replay is VERY small and HIGH quality !!
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Novak View Post
    I'll give them back my GoPro from the F1000 Lewis series if they want. Would be great to have them involved in this race at Austin.

Disappointing they never got anything from it. Wonder if they would be interested in Speedcast's initial production or the footage. It was all shot with GoPros for the on track stuff.

On second thought, Lewis might try to sue them for using it.

*sigh*

Except for the fact that Lewis doesn't own the footage.
    The reason it never got aired on speedcast is because the drivers weren't the only ones he F'd over...

Liked: 59

I wonder if we could buy the footage from last year? I'd chip in just to watch them on You Tube. GoPro owns and has the videos?

To my knowledge Speedcast owns the Mosport coverage.

Thread Information