Liked: 2

Default Freight 88 nice job !!

Used Freight 88 for second time to ship motor to west coast. Went beautifully from arrangements to pickup of crate.

300 lb motor to west coast from NY with 7500 of insurance for $287.

freight.com for quick quotes. They can ship with all carriers your choice.

Yolando Guerrero 1-866-944-8849 x 712 was a huge help

Ed
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by aspenripper View Post
    300 lb motor to west coast from NY with 7500 of insurance for $287.
    What carrier did you utilize that provided you the opportunity to purchase insurance? I'd be interested in reading their tariff.

Liked: 2

I ended up with YRC as carrier and did I read the tariff .....no.

So the insurance may not be worth the paper it is printed on. But it made me feel good.
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

All LTL carriers I've used allow you to purchase insurance. You can do it three ways - two that they will tell you. 1. Use the new itme dollar amount per pound 2. Use the used item dollar amount per pound or 3. Write in the field of the BOL that you want it insured for whatever amount. What is written on the BOL rules.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    All LTL carriers I've used allow you to purchase insurance. You can do it three ways - two that they will tell you. 1. Use the new itme dollar amount per pound 2. Use the used item dollar amount per pound or 3. Write in the field of the BOL that you want it insured for whatever amount. What is written on the BOL rules.
    I disagree.

1) Release value and declared value per pound won't hold up in the event of a claim if the commodity states a maximum DVNX or RVNX in the NMFC and/or the carriers' tariff. It's not INSURANCE. It's an agreement to limit the carriers' liability to an agreed amount. It's for their protection not yours.

2) Same as above and often the tariffs have very small dollar per pound limitations.

3) Nope. Courts have ruled otherwise. See Carmack Amendment...it's a Federal Law that trumps all others...it's been taken all the way to the Supreme Court. What you write on the BoL rules upto the limits in the carriers' tariff.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I disagree.

1) Release value and declared value per pound won't hold up in the event of a claim if the commodity states a maximum DVNX or RVNX in the NMFC and/or the carriers' tariff. It's not INSURANCE. It's an agreement to limit the carriers' liability to an agreed amount. It's for their protection not yours.

2) Same as above and often the tariffs have very small dollar per pound limitations.

3) Nope. Courts have ruled otherwise. See Carmack Amendment...it's a Federal Law that trumps all others...it's been taken all the way to the Supreme Court. What you write on the BoL rules upto the limits in the carriers' tariff.
    THen maybe I'm just lucky! They've always covered any claims I've had based on the value I've written on the BOL regardless of the claim amount, some of which have been over the tariff limit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aspenripper View Post
    I ended up with YRC as carrier and did I read the tariff .....no.

So the insurance may not be worth the paper it is printed on. But it made me feel good.
    I'll save you the trouble of digging through their tariff:

When Consignor or Consignee requests EXCESS LIABILITY COVERAGE for used
    or reconditioned articles exceeding 50 cents per pound per package and
    describes the articles as used or reconditioned on the original Bill of
    Lading:

Apply a rate of $4.75 per additional $100 of coverage with a $85.50
    minimum as outlined in Table 1 below.

Consignor or Consignee will indicate on the original Bill of Lading in
    the description of articles section: "Excess liability coverage
    requested in the amount of $5.00 per pound per package."

In no event shall Carrier's maximum liability for used or reconditioned
    articles exceed the actual value or $5.00 per pound per package,
    whichever is less, with a maximum of $10,000 per incident.

In all cases, the weight of packaging and/or shipping container,
    pallets, skids and the like shall not be included when determining
    excess liability coverage or Carrier's maximum liability. Additional
    liability coverage IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AS INSURANCE FOR
    THE CARGO.

That means your 300# motor is worth no more than $1500 no matter it's actual value/ released or declared value stated, nor the amount of excess liability coverage purchased. If you don't purchase any additional; YRC would cap the value of that used/rebuilt 300# motor at $150.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 01.20.13 at 1:26 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    THen maybe I'm just lucky!
    Apparently. Must have been a low dollar claim that passed under the radar

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I've been in the LTL freight claims business since 1986, because of that I really DON'T like to ship anything LTL that I don't have to. Should the need arise I'd like to be well educated about my options. I am familiar with the large carriers' tariffs but if there is one out there allowing insurance against loss or damage based on a value the shipper specifies in excess of $25/LB I'd like to know about it.

Thread Information