Liked: 9

Default Flywheel inspection

what should I be looking for?

I have no problems, just have the car apart and am wondering what goes wrong with these things. I see 3 holes spaced at 120 deg on the weld bead holding the bolt plate on the wheel itself. is that normal place for the welder to start and stop the bead? Do these welds crack? I think I see a fiine hairline crack off one of those holes.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 942

Default Inspection

Hello Ted,

Possible cracks:
    A good auto machine shop can perform a mag particle inspection for you for a nominal price.

Mechanical runout:
    A dial indicator on the face of the flywheel as you turn it on the shaft will tell you if the flywheel is bent or warped.

Dial indicator on the edge will tell you if there is eccentricity or out of round.

Again, a good machine shop can check it for you.

Balance:
    Check balance the flywheel and shaft with the clutch cover bolted on. All three parts need to be indexed/matchmarked to one another for reassembly.

Weight:
    Make sure its legal!

Are you coming out to play this year?

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thread Information