Liked: 530

Default setting split start/finish with AIM?

hi guys,
    i've read and re-read the EVO4 manual and the formula steering wheel manual, but I can't determine that there is a way to set a split start and finish line for an autocross course. the manual seems like the AIM system assumes start/finish is always the same line. i suppose a quasi work-around would be to set up "split 1" as the finish line, but that will still make it cumbersome to evaluate laps later and i'm not sure what the system would think if i complete split 1 and then shut the car off..

appreciate any help!

thanks,
    mike

Liked: 4

My understanding is that you just put start/finish beacons at both the start and finish lights. I just got a car with an AIM (mychron3) system for autocross, and this is what I was told to do - I just haven't done it yet.

I should clarify.. I'm trying to do this with the GPS based system on-board the EVO4. I do not have beacons.

Thanks,
    Mike

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Scootin159 View Post
    My understanding is that you just put start/finish beacons at both the start and finish lights. I just got a car with an AIM (mychron3) system for autocross, and this is what I was told to do - I just haven't done it yet.
    what's the new car,Scott?Congrats if you sold the old one!!

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by flat tappet View Post
    what's the new car,Scott?Congrats if you sold the old one!!
    Bought the Colegrove's old car (2011 + 2012 national champ), have a buyer lined up right now for the old one, so it should be leaving soon.

Liked: 0

I'd call the AIM support line. They've always been exceptionally helpful for me.

Jeremy

Is there a U.S. number? aim-sportline.com I can only find numbers in Italy.

Liked: 285

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Is there a U.S. number? aim-sportline.com I can only find numbers in Italy.

(800) 718-9090

The US Aim website is: http://www.aimsports.com

thanks

well apparently there's no provision to do it with the gps lap timer.. silly that they didn't think of that, hopefully a future update for the hardware can be downloaded to allow for it. i'm going to try and set the finish line as "split 1" and see if it will store data even though i will shut the car off before completing the "lap".

Liked: 102

What I do is use the "Insert New Lap" function to separate the run from the pre and post run data. However, guesswork is required to locate them correctly.

It is possible to use the Track Manager to record either the start or finish line. That would only solve half the problem, and you would have to park the car at that point before every event. IR beacons would solve that problem, but I have a history of forgetting to retrieve them at the end of the day.

Liked: 10

On my Evo3, non-GPS system, I had excellent results with a push-button replacement to the beacon. Someone wired up a push button for me that duplicated the beacon signal. Autocross-only, of course. I hit the button when the flag was waved, a fraction of a second before full throttle. Then, "some short time after the finish" I pushed it again. The software allowed me to equalize the starts/finishes if I wanted to. My system was set to record any time it was on, so I powered it up while approaching the start.

Chris Eckles

Liked: 10

FYI for folks who have an RT DL1 (or are considering one) for autocross or hillclimb there is an "open circuit" option in Analysis that was added a few years ago. Works well.

Also there are some "auto start/stop" configuration options to avoid the need to manually start/stop the logger.

Dick

Thread Information