Liked: 29

Default Bill Stern - Sad news

From Hurley Hatch:

For those that have not heard, Bill Stern and his family were killed in a small place accident over the weekend. This article has more information:
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20121230phoenix-family-killed-small-plane-crash-near-san-diego.html
    Bill had been racing with ProAutoSports in the Open Wheel group for the last several years. His blue #50 Swift was always battling in the front of the pack, and had just finished up in fourth place for 2012 in a packed Euro Formula Ford field.
    If you had a chance to hang out with him in the paddock, you know how much of a great person he was to be around. He will truly be missed, and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Prayers of comfort for his family & friends .
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Although I never raced with Bill, we both sat on the same board together & would share racing stories. I knew his family & they will truely be missed. Very sad news.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 0

I only got to race with and meet Bill for the fist time this past October and went wheel to wheel with him many times that weekend. He was a classy guy and great to hang out with at the track. Godspeed Stern family. You will be missed, but not forgotten.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Condolences to all of Bill's friends and family.

Also is a post here under fallen friends.

Liked: 273

I believe this is the same Bill Stern I raced with in Phoenix back in the late 80's.

I live in San Diego and heard about this accident but didn't make the connection.

Was Bill piloting this plane?

Very sad news indeed.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    I believe this is the same Bill Stern I raced with in Phoenix back in the late 80's.
    I live in San Diego and heard about this accident but didn't make the connection.
    Was Bill piloting this plane?
    Very sad news indeed.
    Yes, Bill raced with SCCA back in the 80s, was the original owner of his DB1.
    The last few years he joined the more mellow EFF group. And yes, he was the pilot. A gentleman lost.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Thread Information