Liked: 102

Default Crate engine takeoffs

There are quite a few parts that are removed from a crate engine for the FF installation. How much is all of that stuff worth, and what's the best way to sell it?

Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 81

Default crate engine takeoffs

Hi Neil
    i was thinking the same thing myself. I have all my extra parts sitting on a shelf in an HPD box. MY local honda dealership was considering buying all my stuff that i have, but i am still waiting for there answer.

Sean

Liked: 23

I ebay'd mine. Was not worth a lot in the end, but since my motor was only $850 anyway, it did end up halving the donor cost. A couple parts didn't sell and were recycled before the move west.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 553

Good thread. I'm in the same boat. The parts must be worth something, but I haven't gotten around to trying to sell them yet.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    I ebay'd mine. Was not worth a lot in the end, but since my motor was only $850 anyway, it did end up halving the donor cost. A couple parts didn't sell and were recycled before the move west.

Tim
    What kind of condition was an $850 motor?
    I should stop reading these Honda conversion threads. I already have most of the parts for a back up Kent motor. And how much difference could a Honda make for autocross anyway?
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    What kind of condition was an $850 motor?
    I should stop reading these Honda conversion threads. I already have most of the parts for a back up Kent motor. And how much difference could a Honda make for autocross anyway?
    Mark
    It was from a Fit in NYC that, according to CarFax, was totaled the day after the pre-delivery inspection at the dealer. The accident report had the car listed has having 119 miles. I ran it for several events without issues (once the kill switch was wired without fragility) and then it was blueprinted where Sandy said it looked brand new. YMMV.

Even so, a brand new engine from HPD at $2.5K is still a killer deal. Its ~$5k dealer invoice.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 157

Default Nearing the end of the sell off

Ebay with low starting prices. Looks like I am about to be done with most of the loose stuff. Not much money to be made. The car is reliable and quite new. Maybe a total of $250 when all is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    Ebay with low starting prices. Looks like I am about to be done with most of the loose stuff. Not much money to be made. The car is reliable and quite new. Maybe a total of $250 when all is done.
    Thanks for the update. $250 in the wallet is better than boxes of useless parts taking up space in the garage.

Can we look at your ebay auctions? If yes, what are the item numbers or your seller name?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

I just put all my stuff on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/russmcb/m.ht...p2047675.l2562

I'll let you know what I was able to sell/get.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    I just put all my stuff on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/russmcb/m.ht...p2047675.l2562

I'll let you know what I was able to sell/get.
    I hope you have better luck than I did Russ. I went that route and didn't get squat. At some point I will be taking my stuff to a recycler.

Ray

After the first round I've gotten about $250. Biggest item was the catalytic converter ($150). Most items didn't sell so I've relisted them, but not holding my breath for much more. Better than nothing! :-)

Contributing Member

You did MUCH better than me Russ!! I can't believe that someone is paying $150 for the cat. I actually have two of those and a recycling center will only give something like $30 each.

Ray

Liked: 1879

Metal recyclers are only interested in the metal content. Someone buying off of ebay doesn't want to pay the $300+ for one from a dealer or parts house.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Metal recyclers are only interested in the metal content. Someone buying off of ebay doesn't want to pay the $300+ for one from a dealer or parts house.
    Yes, I understand that -- but I got 0 bids when I put mine on ebay!

Ray

I agree, Richard. I think it may have helped that I looked up the dealer prices for each item and mentioned them in the ads. I think the catalytic converter sells for $550, so the ebay buyer feels like he got a pretty dang good deal. I also posted the ebay auction on a Fit enthusiasts forum.

The O2 sensor sold easily, too. However, I think most of the other parts never wear out, so there's really no market for them. Maybe in 20 years they'll be needed. :-)

Liked: 1879

I'd expect that even the cats will be slow sellers - todays versions last a lot longer than they used to, and I'd bet that the majority of Fit owners will just take their car to a muffler shop or the dealer if they need one replaced. You got lucky!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

The last long if they stay on the car. It's when the crack head steals them with their battery powered sawzall so that they can get $80-100 at the recycling center that they need to be replaced.

I'm hoping someone does a Steve McQueen or Ken Block San Fransisco jump and needs this beautiful Fit aluminum oil pan. I have a zero mile dipstick I'll include for FREE!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

If not, mount it to the wall and plumb it to create a sink in the garage.

Maybe these guys will give you 10cents on the dollar and sit on their shelf:

http://www.fastlaneimportautorepair....-shop-marietta

Thread Information