Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default who knows............

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    I don't see any split lines in the body so I can only assume to service the car the entire body comes off?

Seems like a remember there were a few FF in the late 70's or early 80's that took this approach. Always seemed like a PITA to do but maybe not?

.................maybe its maintanence free

Liked: 444

I don't see any split lines in the body so I can only assume to service the car the entire body comes off?

Seems like a remember there were a few FF in the late 70's or early 80's that took this approach. Always seemed like a PITA to do but maybe not?
    I was thinking the same thing. Our first Speads was all one piece and was PITA!!!
    We ended up sectioning it to 3 pieces. YMMV

Liked: 43

Amazing!

When did you start fabricating parts. This project has moved on with incredible speed. 6-8 months?

Liked: 896

Magnificent Jon.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Liked: 68

Seems like I remember there were a few FF in the late 70's or early 80's that took this approach. Always seemed like a PITA to do but maybe not?
    I don't know about FF, but I had a 2001 Red Devil F500 that had a one-piece body, except for the very front of the nose section.

Yes, it was a PITA....until I figured out the "easy way" to pull it off or put it on. Loosen all the dzus fittings, then stand in the cockpit, lift the body up, then step out of the cockpit and set the body back down onto the ground. Reverse to put the body on. This might not be so easy with a body that is either too heavy or not well balanced front-to-rear.....

Once I got it figured out, it was actually pretty fast and easy to deal with.....though I took the brunt of a few paddock jokes when people saw the process.

On-topic, that's a heck of a nice job you did with that car! Can't wait to see it at speed.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

Default Trailer

Here's my newest trailer. It's made of Birch plywood from Russia, Okoume plywood from France, and Yellow Pine and Douglas Fir from Saginaw, MI. The Pine & Fir were originally bleechers removed from 2 high schools in Saginaw. This is the best wood of its type that I've seen since the 70's.

The first photo shows the sophisticated tools required for such a project. The plywood sheets were scarffed (beveled joint) together. There are, essentially, no structural fasteners in the entire trailer. It relies, instead, on epoxy glue. The storage unit on the left side contributes to tortional strength.

The outside of the trailer is coated with WEST System epoxy, followed by several coats of clear automotive enamel.

There's a bed across the front of the trailer that swings up for access to 2 complete sets of tires. Hal Pringle's idea. The axle is a 3500# tortion axle, allowing the floor of the trailer to be 9" above the road. There's a hand-operated winch on the back left side that, through a pulley system, will draw the car into the trailer. Should make the car easy to load. All tools are stored on the inside of the entry door. The tubes for the canopy are stored inside the 3 plastic pipes below the storage unit. Total weight is 1200#.

Look's great Jon, any pic's of the car with paint? Are the hole's on top vent's or sky lite's? I cant remember a round combo..

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default just gorgeous !

shouldn't this be in Architectural Digest or something?

love the aero-engine dangling from the rafters

your stuff is awesome

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Default Good looking trailer

Very nice looking trailer Jon.
    I'm exhausted building a car, let alone a trailer as well!

Desmond

Liked: 0

Pretty slick Jon. Did you get the mini van tow vehicle yet?

Clark

Contributing Member

I haven't painted the car yet because it's time to concentrate on my DSR Also the steering rack has been back ordered since December. I think by mid season I'll have time to finish and test the FB.
    The holes in the trailer are skylights
    I have a new tow vehicle Clark mentioned that I will start modifying tomorrow.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Jon

Cant wait to see what you have up your sleeve for a tow vehicle.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Default Tow Vehicle

Will it be a woodie?
    Marty

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

That is awesome looking work, Jon. I would've never thought wood to be a good medium choice for as much as you do with it. I couldn't even make a pretty Pine Wood Derby car in school.

Side question- is that a Lycoming TIGO-480 engine hanging from the ceiling next to the SR body in the 6th picture?
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Contributing Member

Matt,
    The engine is a GO435 a smaller version of the 480.
    However in the mid 90's I did design, build, and fly in aerobatic competition the plane in the attached photo. Sorry about the photo but I took it today of a picture hanging on the wall in my shop.
    That plane did have a geared supercharged 480 in it.
    340HP
    54GPH
    29 Gal fuel tank
    93" Dia. Prop
    Sea level power to 8000'
    1300LB.
    I flew it to Texas from Michigan twice for the US Nationals.
    I was essentially breaking the FAA required fuel reserved minimums upon departure.
    Lots of fuel stops, no GPS or Nav.
    That said, I bought the 435 because I miss the plane and want to build an old mans version.
    The geared engines sound cool too. But only from the outside.
    Not a lot of people would recognize that engine.
    Jon

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

Ah, ok. Its tough to pick out the details from that little bit I could see. Just caught my eye + interest because I'm a Designer at Lycoming. We don't see much (ok...any) of the older models needing Engineering work anymore.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 11

Just awesome stuff. Seriously cool, fantastic work. Wish I lived near you and could come help/ learn!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Did I read right 54 gph and 29 gal fuel tank.

That would equal about half an hour flying time on a tank.

I can see why lots of fuel stops.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Default FB Progress

Did the FB car ever get completed or raced?
    Marty

Liked: 2

Default Me too!

Very neat car. Did it take to the track?

Chris

Liked: 254

I can't comment on how often it has been out, but I have seen Jon out at Waterford for a test day in the car. My guess would he that we'll see this car at least a few times over the summer.

Liked: 49

Jon,
    beautiful work! You could make a good sideline restoring Mosquitos! I'll ask the question nobody has, but might be thinking: How much would it cost to have you make a trailer like yours for one of us? I'm going to use your ideas as a guide to make a liftable cover for my open trailer, but I know the work will be nothing like you are capable of. I agonized over buying your former trailer with the lift up side door and swing out hoist, but it was too far away to justify at the time.
    Thanks, Brad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information