Liked: 79

Default Buyer Beware: Chris & Tim Walsh of Afterburner

For some time there has been an ad in the FC forum for a RFR posted by Chris Walsh of Afterburner. For those that have been watching the ad you remember that the car was advertised for $47,000 initially and then the price was lowered to $42,000 obo. I had been looking for a FC zetec car to run in the F2000 series. Since I'm pretty tall, I don't fit very well in a Van Diemen. This summer I sat in both a Radon and a RFR and both fit much better than the VD. So I chose to buy a RFR, at which time I contacted Chris Walsh and asked some questions, requested additional pictures and information regarding the spares he said they had available.

Edit- We have reached a resolution! It's amazing what happens when everyone finally gets on the same page. Chris called this morning and we worked out the details and they have promised to send the deposit back immediately. This was an unfortunate situation I believe caused by the 3-way communication chain that was the way the discussions were from start to finish.

I will in the future defintely make sure everyone knows EXACTLY what the purchase entails. I thought at the time and still do that this is a good car- really low mileage and fresh motor from Elite. Hopefully we can put this behind us and chalk it up to "failure to communicate".
    Last edited by B Reid; 12.13.12 at 10:15 PM.

Liked: 11

Sure looks like the ad states one set of rims to me. Granted, doesn't say rims and tires but would expect a set of used up tires to be mounted to be able to move the car around. Sounds like if he hadn't screwed around with you as long as he did with the wheels, the deal would have been completed. No reason to not give back the deposit, especially one as large as that.

Jim A

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Did you try a number other than the one in the ad to get ahold of the man behind the scenes? Because his corporate filing shows a home address:

and the number to that house is XXX-XXX-XXXX

[edited personal information]
    Last edited by dc; 12.12.12 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Personal information removed.

I tried to call Tim Walsh at Advanced Control Technology and he wouldn't take the call. 5 minutes later Chris Walsh calls me back. When I asked why can't I speak to Tim since that's who I made the check out to, I got no answer.

I tried to be as professional as possible during the whole thing, thinking that they couldn't be this obtuse. I guess I was wrong about that.

Liked: 142

damn that sucks.

On a brighter note. you'd said you bought another RFR, welcome to the fold! Are you planning on running F2KCS or scca?
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

If you can't come to terms over a set of wheels clearly advertised in the ad, what leads one to believe anything else in the car is as advertised---such as a "New Elite Z-Tech"?

Liked: 14

or the GearDaddies (Stage V) gearbox blueprint

Liked: 1432

Wow! $10k! I'd be sweating bullets.

I know there are two sides to every story, but hard to see that being justified.

Wow.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Why do these type of people get involved with racing. grr

I hope you somehow get your money back.

As far as my plan for this year, yes I plan on running primarily the F2000 series, at least 4 weekends at this point. Probably do a few SCCA events that are close to me (I'm 20 minutes from Lime Rock).

Needless to say, the $10k would certainly allow me to do more events.

The issues of their credibility was also a primary reason I chose not to purchase the car. If this seemingly small issue over a set of wheels was such a problem, then who knows what else could have happened.

Liked: 24

I would also plan on going and knocking on his door...face to face to face things always work better
    Last edited by DB4 Tim; 12.14.12 at 8:17 AM.

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Payback is a b**ch

There must be plenty of gangsta's out there looking for some extra stocking money who would be glad to help......LOL.

It's too bad that these types continue to haunt APEXSPEED and other forums!!

I met a great gent at LRP last June. Turns out it was his last season in F500 and I agreed to purchase his car,trailer and spares at his price after the NARRC in Sept. I ended up crewing for him the rest of the summer at NHMS and LRP. Turns out that he blew his engine at LRP and had to purchase a rebuilt one to continue his season. I thought it to be only fair to add half of his engine purchase price to his payout from me at the end of the season. He also had to buy 4 new sticker Hoosiers to end his season. I also agreed to pay half of his cost for the tires when we closed the deal.

Bottom line......great deal, the seller was as fair as could be, I received spares I didn't even know I was getting! I also purchased his HAN's ready Bell and his 30 deg HANS, as well.

If you pick your seller carefully(and I could instinctively tell that this man was as honest as the day is long from day one),and most all of you here are exactly the same....and a great deal will ensue!!

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by B Reid View Post
    Needless to say, the $10k would certainly allow me to do more events.
    So if I understand you correctly, you have yet to recover your $10,000 deposit?

Liked: 553

Two things:
    1. I get uncormfortable when I see people get riled up after hearing one side of the story. So many times, later you hear more details and get more insight. Not saying the original post should not have been placed, but people shouldn't be too quick to judge publicly.
    2. A deposit should only be high enough to convince a buyer that you are are commiting to buy. It should be small enough that it can be lost if something unforeseen happens. Before it is paid, both parties should agree (and get in writing) what will happen to the deposit if the buyer backs out, or if the seller backs out (regardless of the reasons).

Liked: 530

reportedly this got resolved, would love to hear confirmation from Bob to that effect though.. noted Chris' post in his for sale thread.

on the topic of reasonable deposits and reasonable handling of said deposits, here's a great example.. $175K car, only $2500 deposit required, and refundable!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lotus...item2325b687e9

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I truly hope that Brian has not been connected with the characters in question during this debacle as I know him to be an upstanding guy.

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by flat tappet View Post
    If you pick your seller carefully(and I could instinctively tell that this man was as honest as the day is long from day one),and most all of you here are exactly the same....and a great deal will ensue!!
    Well, your own notion of fair was more generous to him than it needed to be. I'd say there were two gentlemen involved in that deal.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

[QUOTE=TimH;370955]Well, your own notion of fair was more generous to him than it needed to be. I'd say there were two gentlemen involved in that deal.[/QUOTE

Thank you, Tim!!.....at the end of our deal, I knew that I had done everything that I could to hold my head up high. I am retired,as is the seller and money(or lack of it ......LOL) meant a lot to us both.....but honor means more to me than any amount of money. And I have met so many great people while racing.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU!!

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Two things:
    1. I get uncormfortable when I see people get riled up after hearing one side of the story. So many times, later you hear more details and get more insight. Not saying the original post should not have been placed, but people shouldn't be too quick to judge publicly.
    2. A deposit should only be high enough to convince a buyer that you are are commiting to buy. It should be small enough that it can be lost if something unforeseen happens. Before it is paid, both parties should agree (and get in writing) what will happen to the deposit if the buyer backs out, or if the seller backs out (regardless of the reasons).
    I couldn't agree more with that post.

People are quick to judge and sling mud. There are ALWAYS two sides to EVERY story. I am by no means defending the Walsh's, but I've know them for quite some time and have had multiple business dealings with them. They've always been stand up individuals who did what they say they would in my experience.

Its unfortunate that the misunderstanding had to elevate to a public level for the matter to get resolved.

Liked: 1417

Judging by the edit to the original post, it looks as if this ordeal has come to a positive and amicable close. I think everyone would be happy to put this whole thing in the rear view mirror and get on with preparing for next season. Time to put this one to bed.

Good luck to all,

dc

Thread Information