Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: COTA Entry

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Looks like they've already killed it ... at least temporarily.
    I'll bet it was NOT "supposed" to be open.. just the person setting it up, opened it for a couple of people to test to make sure it was working correctly. (I do that EVERY time for my MSR setups.)

SOMEONE let the cat out of the bag and suddenly entries started FLOWING IN .. RAPIDLY and they shut it down.

Steve, FV80
    Yeah, the Lone Star Region website had a link saying COTA was open and now it's gone. I bet it wasn't enabled and we're all going to have to re-register.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Liked: 830

This link to the Entry list
    http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubd...5207&LMID=1977

is still working. Hopefully, we all did it RIGHT and we'll stay "IN"...
    Steve, FV80

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    This link to the Entry list
    http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubd...5207&LMID=1977

is still working. Hopefully, we all did it RIGHT and we'll stay "IN"...
    Steve, FV80
    But go to your My Races page and click on edit. It says registration for the event hasn't been enabled.

Also, did anyone get an email confirmation? I didn't.

Liked: 273

Default Registration not open?

Just got an email from the West Coast F1000 series saying registration was open. Logged in to dlbracing and it says it is NOT OPEN.

What gives????
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Quote Originally Posted by BWC54 View Post
    But go to your My Races page and click on edit. It says registration for the event hasn't been enabled.

Also, did anyone get an email confirmation? I didn't.
    I didn't get a confirmation either... maybe that's why they shut it down.

At least, when they reopen it, they should give us all 'first dibs' since we were 'astute' enough to get registered when we shouldn't have been able to .
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 84

I can't find it. Is it shut down or sold out already? WTF??

Liked: 3787

Let's hope and pray Texas does the stand-up thing and records all those that thought they were officially registering, and makes sure when they "officially" do open registration those folks get in.

It would be a pisser to have made the cut the first time, and then be a minute late the second time...

Customer Service Topeka

Liked: 52

Quote Originally Posted by BWC54 View Post
    Yeah, the Lone Star Region website had a link saying COTA was open and now it's gone. I bet it wasn't enabled and we're all going to have to re-register.
    That's just great. I will be on a plane to San Diego for the next several hours. Wanna bet that's when it'll reopen and close for good? I hope they give us place holders.
    Tim Pierce - #81
    2018 JDR F-1000
    www.area81racing.com

Well it sorta looks like we may be screwed. It appears they have closed registration for good.

I called the SCCA and they gave me the number for the Lone Star Region registar....no call back yet.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Cut 'em some slack. Someone out there is probably tearing their hair out right now figuring out how to deal with this...
    I did notice a couple of small issues when I registered, but decided NOT to worry about it and just get myself registered and then go back and edit it later... which I did.

Not surprised that they charged extra for RV's, but seemed like we're getting raped again @ $40 per night for NOTHING. I guess they figure we owe them for taking up so much space ? (besides it's inherently obvious that anyone that owns a motorhome (regardless of it's age) is filthy rich... just like anyone that owns a RACE CAR! )

Steve, FV80

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

I count 198 entries. Almost half of those are SM. That can't be how they are planning to roll. Where one race group has 86 entries and others have only 10.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens next. Maybe they will start over, or maybe they will just turn the switch back on. Give them some time. Probably overwhelmed right now.

Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    Well it sorta looks like we may be screwed. It appears they have closed registration for good.

I called the SCCA and they gave me the number for the Lone Star Region registar....no call back yet.
    I bet that COTA have them a 200 car limit which the miatas ate up. I'm pissed

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    I bet that COTA have them a 200 car limit which the miatas ate up. I'm pissed
    I don't think they would break even with only 200 cars.

In the SCCA posted "letter from the chair", Roger says that the only limitation is 85 cars per GROUP. SM and SRF are the only classes with their own group, so they're not taking entries away from other classes.

I wonder how the heck all THOSE guys managed to get in so fast?
    Steve, FV80

If you look down the page it says SM (Full) I don't see that on any other group. So perhaps it's 85 car limit per group.

Just got word from DLBRACING that the registration link was published without their permission. This came straight from DLB.

Did they maybe get hacked into??

Anyhow it looks like it will officially reopen sometime soon and those that did reg. are good to go....maybe.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 23

Just got word from DLBRACING that the registration link was published without their permission. This came straight from DLB.

Would suspect its not a hack. They likely shared the URL with partners early so they could be prepared to publish the link without putting up the 'come back soon' setting for the event. Or it was removed from their search index so not discoverable, but the link itself was live. Both pilot error situations. Security by obfuscation is not actual security.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

STRAIGHT FROM Beth Mills at DLB Racing...RE Lone Star Nat Reg.

"The race chair will make the official annoucement on SCCA.COM later today"
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 68

Anyhow it looks like it will officially reopen sometime soon and those that did reg. are good to go....maybe.
    The link had been in place on the SWDiv site for some time, so there were a bunch of people trying it right at noon. It apparently went live, and someone then posted that link....then the chain reaction started. There's much discussion on this topic at the SM boards.....
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 52

Conspiracy theory?
    I just can't believe that many registered in the hour and a half before I did.
    Maybe someone in the SM ranks had inside info?
    Tim Pierce - #81
    2018 JDR F-1000
    www.area81racing.com

From the SM Forum:

Per the COTA Race Chair: "We are aware there was a problem with the registration link prematurely posted on the SOWDiv website. We are reviewing our options and will determine a solution. The only sanctioned location for registration information is the SCCA.com website (http://www.scca.com/...ex.cfm?eid=5405)"

And this:

Registration is not OFFICIALLY open. The 203 people that managed to sign up through the bogus link posted will be notified through their email of record. I'm not sure if they'll be notified tonight, tomorrow, or when the OFFICIAL REGISTRATION opens, but THEY WILL BE NOTIFIED.

Sounds like someone jumped the gun on the registration thingy...the story I'm reading from the SM Forum is that this link was posted over there even earlier than here. Maybe even as far back as a few days ago. Might explain why so many SM entries got in there so fast.

According to someone over on that forum everyone that "registered" are going to be getting an email sometime tonight. That don't sound too good.

As much as I hate to say this to our "registered" FB guys, it appears that this was an unauthorized link (if all this is true) and to me the only way to resolve it is to start the process over and do it on an authorized registration link. Otherwise it's highly unfair to those that weren't in the "loop" on this and didn't get the opportunity to register during this stampede (for lack of a better word).

Either way I would hope there would be sufficent notice when entries are open. We shouldn't have to be refreshing our pages and doing sneak and peeks to find out when registration opens.

Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 01.15.13 at 7:23 PM. Reason: modified last paragraph

Liked: 49

Either way, it looks like the 85 car per group limit is valid, so I wouldn't worry tremendously about running out of room to run in FB I hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see video of 85 FA/FB and sports racers flying around that track!

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    and the Citation cat is out of the bag!
    Glenn. JR is out of the country and asked me to register for him. I dont know how i got the wrong car on there. It was only lunch time so i cant blame beer. Mind you i did start just after lunch , So when he gets back in the country this weekend he will change it..

Liked: 81

Default "Computer Glitch"

So rumor has it that Lone Star Region had a glitch and the link was leaked. I'm not sure when we will be able to register for the event, but I do know that those of us who already registered will PROBABLY have to reregister once it opens.

Hopefully it gets figured out soon.

Meg Sauce
    Last edited by sauce_racer; 01.15.13 at 9:31 PM.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Yeah. Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by teddale View Post
    Glenn. JR is out of the country and asked me to register for him. I dont know how i got the wrong car on there. It was only lunch time so i cant blame beer. Mind you i did start just after lunch , So when he gets back in the country this weekend he will change it..
    No, Realllllllllllllly, I belive ya...

Default I just went back to DLB

and not to add to any confusion or anything, BUT there is no mention of needing a do-over, or any verbage indicating an issue.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Security by obfuscation is not actual security.
    Well, to register at dlbracing.com you enter your password on an http (non-secure) page, not an https page. They didn't even pass the security 001 primer.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Copeland View Post
    From the SM Forum:

Per the COTA Race Chair: "We are aware there was a problem with the registration link prematurely posted on the SOWDiv website. We are reviewing our options and will determine a solution. The only sanctioned location for registration information is the SCCA.com website (http://www.scca.com/...ex.cfm?eid=5405)"

And this:

Registration is not OFFICIALLY open. The 203 people that managed to sign up through the bogus link posted will be notified through their email of record. I'm not sure if they'll be notified tonight, tomorrow, or when the OFFICIAL REGISTRATION opens, but THEY WILL BE NOTIFIED.
    huh. NOTIFIED of WHAT is the question.

Contributing Member

Does anyone know what the run groups are? Please post.

Liked: 25

Default Glenn's Fault?

What a mess! The DLB site now shows 204 entered, not the 203 from this afternoon. Think about that if you are paranoid. Where did you get the link, Glenn? I was keeping an eye on the DLB Calendar, watching for the event to be added. I "registered" after seeing your post with the backdoor link. The Lone Star Region also had that link. At least we are not SM drivers. The formula car numbers don't look too bad. I think some SM drivers are going to be pretty mad if they think they registered today and then don't get in.
    - Frank Chambers

Liked: 3787

Jason snagged this b4 the site went down.

Run Order
    Group Classes (Drivers)
    Group 1 SM (86)
    Group 2 EP, FP, GTL, HP, T3, STL, T4, B-Spec (30)
    Group 3 SRF (16)
    Group 4 F5, FF, FV (16)
    Group 5 CSR, DSR, FA, FB (23)
    Group 6 FC, FE, FM, S2 (10)
    Group 7 AS, GT1, GT2, GT3, T1, T2, STU (17)

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by teddale View Post
    And I'll let mine out of the bag too... As soon as I can register. Looking forward to joining the FB community and racing w you guys. Open wheel at COTA, how cool is that?!
    Lawrence Loshak
    '13 FB & HP National Champion
    '10 DSR National Champion
    '06 EP National Champion

Default OK, Sit down...

Are you sure you can handle where the link came from?
    Have you been down the rabbit hole lately? If you ain't skeered yet, C'MON! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

At approx noon I was in the kitchen, lap top on and DLB up. Nothing...
    After hitting the refresh button for about the hundred and seventy third time, my screen did one of those power down, fall into itself kind of deals, like when the Millenium Falcon hit warp drive and the stars all kind of stopped moving then went real bright and kind of flew back attcha - yeah that one.

Anyway, I hear some low humming noise, which is getting progressively louder, which is super extra crazy cause according to my 12 yr old computer expert neighbor (I let him ride my Z50 Honda, he does tech support for me - sweet deal) I don't and never did have any audio capability on my 8 yr old IBM Lenovo, which must have been a factory defect, maybe made on a Monday? Anyolehew...

The Voice (NOT the TV show) starts speaking to me - I had to pinch myself, because the Doc said no more cutting! I pinched myself silly, I tell ya, but The Voice was giving me specific instructions. Nothing like Kill, Kill, Kill mind you like most "voices in my head" type deal, but like I mentioned earlier - The Voice was coming from my laptop, which remember has no audio capability.

Naturally I listened, cause OMG, it was like a religious experience. Full-On Sistine Chapel type deal, Coop n' the Burning Bush if you will (Well there was that time in gym class with the heavily mentholated shaving cream and a Bic lighter, but I digress...)

So I start following the instructions, and next thing ya know, lo and behold I'm in!
    No blue pill, no red pill, nuthin' but a few key strokes.
    Now, being the righteous racer I am my next thought was "I must now do my bestest to get the word out - to hell with any official registration start time.
    All we knew for certain was that on Jan 15 reg would open, and there was NOTHING said about any divine intervention, nor A&E's "Intervention", rather just sit your ass down by a computer on this date, and see what happens, and boy did it ever!

Liked: 43

Quote Originally Posted by LLoshak View Post
    And I'll let mine out of the bag too... As soon as I can register. Looking forward to joining the FB community and racing w you guys. Open wheel at COTA, how cool is that?!

Hmmm Cen-div is starting to grow and get much tougher. Welcome to FB LLoshak.

Default I smell

Split Start - DSR/CSR and FA/FB

Liked: 14

Loshak thats great news, what chassis are you using. welcome!!!

Liked: 11

Default Split Start, I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    Split Start - DSR/CSR and FA/FB
    That would be a great idea.
    Working hard to enhance my Carbon Fiber footprint....
    2011 Stohr F1000
    www.Area81Racing.com

This I got off the SM Forum today (it is also on the SCCA website):

Lone Star Region apologizes for this yesterdays miscue with the online registration for March 8-10, 2013 event at the Circuit of the Americas. The unauthorized release of the link to dlbracing.com is unfortunate and premature as we work out final details on Supplemental Regulations (supp?s) and other aspects of the registration package.

The site was and is not prepared to accept entries and this issue has set us
    back. Registration was not formally announced and not officially opened. We did not have the website ready; the Supp?s were not published and the credit card processing not enabled. No official announcement of open registration on SCCA.com was made. Because it is not official we are forced to start over. We have cancelled all attempted registrations and will OFFICIALLY OPEN registration on dlbracing.com in the near future. The Lone Star Region Race Chairman will announce on SCCA.com with at least 24 hours notice when that will be. Everyone will get the same 24 hour notice. The Supp?s will be published prior to registration being opened on SCCA.com.

When registration does open we will be taking Credit Cards ( MasterCard, Visa and Discover). An entry is not complete until payment is received. 14 days will be allotted to receive checks. Credit Card Payments are encouraged.

PLEASE read the supplemental regulations. There are many changes in how we can use the facility and operate our event. Understand, COTA retains the right to eject ANY participant from the facility for violating these regulations. They have a wonderful facility and plan to keep it that way - RESPECT THE FACILITY; RESPECT THE PEOPLE is their mantra

Again, we sincerely apology for the chaos caused by this unauthorized release. I must reiterate:

If you are getting your information from any other source than SCCA.com it is not legitimate. If you are getting information from anyone other than the Registrars or the Race Chair it is not legitimate

We appreciate your understanding and patience in this matter and are looking forward to having an event that will be the memorable for all

Roger Krebs
    Race Chairman, BFGoodrich Tires COTA Super Tour

This must be a very difficult time for the organizers right now. I'm hoping everyone understands this and can give the organizers plenty of encouragement and exercise a little patience. I'm sure everything will work out to everyones best interest and benefit in the end.

Additional information on the race can be found here:

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=5405

Liked: 25

Default Where on SCCA?

Thomas:
    Where is this on the SCCA site? I can't find it. Where will they put the announcement that Registration is opening?

Update - Now I see your link. Why don't they put it on the "Majors" page?
    - Frank C

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information