Liked: 3

Default Formula Ford suspension

Would like to have some comments on available and legal vintage FF shocks. I have a MK10 LeGrand. Fronts are 11.5, rears 12.75 extended. Just starting to shop around and would like some input. Thanks

Mike

Liked: 58

I've only run vintage ford for a couple seasons but from what I've seen the fastest cars are using Koni 8211 double adj steel bodied shocks. I've used Spax single adj with success and am trying Konis this year.

Default shocks

What model Spax?

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Summers View Post
    Would like to have some comments on available and legal vintage FF shocks.

Mike
    Is there a common standard for " legal " shocks ?

I've been looking for a Club Ford and I see that a bunch of cars have Penske shocks and others running on original shocks. Then I look at the rules for multiple vintage organizations and most say the cars should be raced as they were back in the day or without external reservoirs or nothing is specified.

I'm assuming that there is no common definition of a " legal " shock

Liked: 58

I'm not sure the Spax shocks have a designation other than their single adjustable formula ford shock. I got them through Andy Antipas set up per his relationship with Spax for use on a Titan ff. Andy is the Titan guru and you can find him on the web re Titan cars. Many CF cars use Penske 8100 shocks,which are generally not legal for vintage. SOVREN in the northwest requires a steel bodied non-canister shock.The Koni is thought to the best of this type.

Liked: 7

Default Spax

I use on my VD79
    Front G300 (body 6", specs 8" closed, 12" fully open);
    Rear G330 (body 7", specs 10" closed, 13.250" fully open).

Don't know if they are still available but I got them from Universal Racing Services
    http://www.universalracing.co.uk/
    J-Guy

Liked: 1

Default Most rules state steel bodied w/ out reservoir...

That being said...we have seen everything ! I used the Konis on my Crossle. I purchased them after asking lots of folks including shops that do not sell parts. The common theme was cost and value. Spax were the most maligned. One shop owner said to buy 2 sets of spax cause you'll need them...

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Dave F View Post
    Spax were the most maligned. One shop owner said to buy 2 sets of spax cause you'll need them...
    I have not used the VD79 for a few years now, but from 99 to 2006, I had the Spax on it and had no issues with them.....
    J-Guy

Liked: 947

Mike,

Sometimes the steel body Bilsteins come up for sale on this board or on one of the sports racer boards. They can be rebuilt and revalved to your needs for about $75 a shock plus parts at Bilstein Service in Poway, CA. They are a good shock for our period cars.

Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by DanW; 12.16.12 at 12:51 PM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 123

Bilstiens are great shocks, Koni single or double adjustable are an upgrade. I have a set of Penske adjustable steel bodied non-reservoir shocks that would be great, sitting on my shelf. With Penske's you can easily revalve them to suit your requirement, and they don't need much adjusting.

Brian

Default shocks

Brian, please contact me off list ....bluesbrother30@yahoo.com

Thread Information