Thread: Austin National

Liked: 4

Default Austin National

Richard Cottrill asked if Austin would be a National or Regional, so I asked the local SCCA this question. As you see, it is a no-brainer for everyone to do this race and get points....

Stefan, The event will be a Double National Event and a Super Tour/ Majors available to all 29 National Classes.
    We won't have a mailing list Per se. but information will be posted on SCCA .org and SowDiv .org and Lonestarscca.org.
    Yes there will be a test day probably only for entrants. If you have additional questions I will try to answer them but at
    some point I won't be able to respond to all inquires.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default I'm predicting massive turnout

for virtually all classes at this race.
    Has anyone given thought to how exactly we will be able to handle the potential crazy numbers of race entries?

Lets say we have a typical grouping: FA/FB/FC/FM/FE/CSR/DSR/S2.
    There are supposedly 38 or so FB drivers who say they will attend - I'll say we probably have a solid 25 out of that.
    Now add in an average of 15 cars per other class in the group (just throwing #'s out there) and you start to see the potential for a bit of a problem - namely overpopulation/subscription of the track.

The potential is there for a 130 car group. I'm fairly certain that would exceed the max allowable, and make for poor racing conditions.

IF (Did I mention the word "IF"?) it goes down like this, and folks come out of the woodwork like it was the 2nd Coming of the FF 40th Reunion - I have a plan...

How cool would it be if the hosting region put on their own version of the June Sprints, and instead called it "The Spring Sprints", or something equally catchy?

All they would have to do is basically copy the Sprint's format (FA w/ FB, FE w/ FM, etc) and we could have split starts, etc...

Of course then it would be only one race, but if the entry numbers approach anything like I think they may, the only other choice to thin the field to doable max car count would be to have qualifying races, and or enforce a 107% rule, or whatever other mechanisms that may exist.

Just a thought, never hurts to plan ahead, there's only about 4 months till we roll out on that beautiful track...

Liked: 553

It's going to be very interesting when registration opens.

I wonder how much higher the entry fee will be compared to other Club double nationals (assuming it will be). I can certainly understand why they would charge a premium, but I hope it's not too ridiculous.

Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    for virtually all classes at this race.
    Has anyone given thought to how exactly we will be able to handle the potential crazy numbers of race entries?

Lets say we have a typical grouping: FA/FB/FC/FM/FE/CSR/DSR/S2.
    There are supposedly 38 or so FB drivers who say they will attend - I'll say we probably have a solid 25 out of that.
    Now add in an average of 15 cars per other class in the group (just throwing #'s out there) and you start to see the potential for a bit of a problem - namely overpopulation/subscription of the track.

The potential is there for a 130 car group. I'm fairly certain that would exceed the max allowable, and make for poor racing conditions.

IF (Did I mention the word "IF"?) it goes down like this, and folks come out of the woodwork like it was the 2nd Coming of the FF 40th Reunion - I have a plan...

How cool would it be if the hosting region put on their own version of the June Sprints, and instead called it "The Spring Sprints", or something equally catchy?

All they would have to do is basically copy the Sprint's format (FA w/ FB, FE w/ FM, etc) and we could have split starts, etc...

Of course then it would be only one race, but if the entry numbers approach anything like I think they may, the only other choice to thin the field to doable max car count would be to have qualifying races, and or enforce a 107% rule, or whatever other mechanisms that may exist.

Just a thought, never hurts to plan ahead, there's only about 4 months till we roll out on that beautiful track...
    [FONT=Verdana]I was thinking the same thing. what the hell happens if you have 80 cars in a group? I've seen 60+ in a Spec Miata race and it was a joke, a total bloodbath.Imagine open wheel cars?? Realistically, what is the SCCA protocol in situations like this??[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    It's going to be very interesting when registration opens.

I wonder how much higher the entry fee will be compared to other Club double nationals (assuming it will be). I can certainly understand why they would charge a premium, but I hope it's not too ridiculous.
    I heard $750 entry fees. I also heard that if FB wanted a separate race it would be $80k extra......what is that like $2k per minute?? crazzzzy

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]Realistically, what is the SCCA protocol in situations like this?[/FONT]
    The guideline (GCR 6.4.1) is 25 cars per mile. That's 85 cars at COTA ...

Thread Information