Liked: 84

Default In Car Live Streaming Video

I came across this cool little action cameras that stream live video to Facebook, smartphones etc. Bascially you invite people to watch. I thought the possibilities for use in a race setting would be pretty damn cool. check out these links.

http://www.slashgear.com/looxcie-hd-...ideo-21248827/

and

http://www.looxcie.com/discover-looxcie/#!live

Liked: 23

Needs WiFi. Would need to install a wireless MiFi in the car which are rather marginal on a commuter train at 60MPH, curious how it would work at 130MPH.

Would be better if it had a cellular modem instead of WiFi, but even then the bandwidth would prolly not make the video worth the effort. There's a reason these guys make good money.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Needs WiFi. Would need to install a wireless MiFi in the car which are rather marginal on a commuter train at 60MPH, curious how it would work at 130MPH.

Would be better if it had a cellular modem instead of WiFi, but even then the bandwidth would prolly not make the video worth the effort. There's a reason these guys make good money.
    In the second link's video the user is in the woods using this cellular connection.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    In the second link's video the user is in the woods using this cellular connection.
    GLWT in a race car at 130+ MPH.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

I don't think speed would affect anything but I could be wrong. I'll do more research.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Maybe if there was an LTE tower located on a hill in the middle of the infield.

Liked: 3

The new Go Pro Hero 3 camera has that capability. It can record in 4K (15 frames) format and do live streaming. The problem with the streaming is the distance. It can not stream from far away.

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    Maybe if there was an LTE tower located on a hill in the middle of the infield.
    We did that at Indy (well, there was no hill) but GTE MobileNet installed a temporary cell at the track in an attempt to use a phone instead of a business band 2-way radio. This was in the comparative dark ages of wireless technology, but its a huge challenge to make work in a race car, especially at tracks in rural areas where tower coverage is spotty when standing still.

Riding the commuter train with WiMax MiFi is regularly interrupted at speed as it switches between towers, and downloading youtube has the advantage of buffering content to bridge those gaps where the connection drops. In uploading content live you don't have that luxury.

Our commuter shuttles at work with integrated cellular WiFi are pretty good, certainly better than having my own MiFi, but they are not cheap I imagine and even they drop out in areas.

Perhaps the technology/cost will get there to make it work in our application, but suspect its not there yet now.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Thread Information