Liked: 5

Default COTA now Majors; Revised Road Atlanta schedule

[FONT=arial][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All,[/FONT]
    Butch Kummer, Majors boss, stated in our Atlanta board meeting
    last night that this is now a Majors event thus no regional cars except
    Pro-IT will be allowed.

In addition, Atlanta race schedule at RA has now been changed as follows:

March 15-17 -- No longer a double national but a double regional

May 17-19 -- now a Majors event (double Nat)

July 13-14 -- no longer a double regional now a Rational

Barber -- unless there is a breakthrough concession by the track mgt.
    (they want $40K up front), Atlanta will not have a race there;
    we lost money three years in a row

Nov 1-3 ARRC same as always

Jim
    [/FONT]

Liked: 3

I rarely complain, and as much as I like SCCA I have to say it runs a stupid business model with all those: regionals, nationals, rationals, majors. Just create a Race Date.

As of now I do not have a national license and they filtered me (F1000) out of COTA for March 2013. I do not see a single logical reason why someone would be allowed to race in a regional, but not a national event.

There will be no SCCA if it continues to sit on a train that runs straight for the wall. Just look at the Spec Miata numbers between NASA and SCCA.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by awegrzyn View Post
    I rarely complain, and as much as I like SCCA I have to say it runs a stupid business model with all those: regionals, nationals, rationals, majors. Just create a Race Date.

As of now I do not have a national license and they filtered me (F1000) out of COTA for March 2013. I do not see a single logical reason why someone would be allowed to race in a regional, but not a national event.

There will be no SCCA if it continues to sit on a train that runs straight for the wall. Just look at the Spec Miata numbers between NASA and SCCA.
    Ya Andy, but just think of all the $ that will save us "regional only" guys.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

I think the BOD has heard what you are saying as they are revamping the classes and for 2014 there will be no more regionals/nationals - only Majors and Divisionals - according to Butch. If I were you, I would get my national license just so that I could run both races. Read more about it in the BOD minutes.

Jim

From what I hear on the price tag for that track you would think they would need as many entries as possible to make sure they can cover the costs. Making it a Majors cuts it down to 12 classes correct? Good luck breaking even with that one if you can't break even with a Rational at Barber. I'm very disappointed they have decided to exclude a large portion of the membership for the inaugural SCCA race at COTA.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

I'm getting my national license, but there is no time in my area to obtain the license for COTA. Please note, I'm not blaming SCCA for that. It is my problem that I do not have a national license due to racing outside of SCCA before.

What I'm saying is SCCA limits itself for no reason.

Sorry for littering in the thread.

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by awegrzyn View Post
    I'm getting my national license, but there is no time in my area to obtain the license for COTA. Please note, I'm not blaming SCCA for that. It is my problem that I do not have a national license due to racing outside of SCCA before.

What I'm saying is SCCA limits itself for no reason.

Sorry for littering in the thread.

You might be able to get the SCCA to waive the requirements for a National license if you have past race experience with another club. It's a worth a shot.

Liked: 49

Most majors will have all national classes, there will only be a handful of restricted majors where they invite the top classes..

I agree that the division between regional/national/major might seem silly, but they need to get rid of a lot of classes before the distinction can be lifted. Can you guess who would go first?..

Lastly - if you have raced before, you can call your local license director and see if he'll give you a waiver for a national or reduce the number of regionals to need to enter before he'll give you a national license

Default Scca cota

I talked to SCCA, and my game plan will be to take my Spec Miata (because it offers multiple races same weekend) South, to a different division in February and finish the required races there.

A lot of things have to fall in the right place, but I may just make it.
    It's like a 50% chance I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    From what I hear on the price tag for that track you would think they would need as many entries as possible to make sure they can cover the costs. Making it a Majors cuts it down to 12 classes correct? Good luck breaking even with that one if you can't break even with a Rational at Barber. I'm very disappointed they have decided to exclude a large portion of the membership for the inaugural SCCA race at COTA.
    And according to Butch, HQ pays for several items like the trophies, etc. but I don't know how much HQ pays, which it gets this money from the sponsors.

Jim

Liked: 20

So I'm assuming this is a everyone gets to play type of Major?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Novak View Post
    So I'm assuming this is a everyone gets to play type of Major?
    It should be an unrestricted (except for regional) double national.

Jim

Liked: 49

If I'm understanding everything correctly (I'm a pretty smart cookie! :P) this will be just about the same as a current Double National, except most likely higher entry fees and the Majors runoffs qualification points.

Liked: 830

Please see this thread
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55413
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 41

Are they going to use a 120% rule in the Majors. One can get worried about that with an old DSR that is significantly slower than the expensive cars.
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Thread Information