Thread: help guys!

Liked: 1

Default help guys!

i've been a bike racer, lost on formula car issues...i lost my old notes, a mr lathum suggested a vw transaxle to get my ff on the pavement. i reached out to taylor racing but haven't heard back yet. i got the vw transaxle but need some help getting it up for use with the ford 4 cyl. if anybody can give me any info i would appreciate it. don't feel you are talking down to me, i know nothing on this one and appreciate any input! i hope to get a proper transaxle and restore the car eventually but i just want to use it in the meantime! thanks for any info dtargonski@aol.com

Liked: 210

well, assuming it's a 'standard' VW transaxle, the first thing you need to do is flip it upside down. Then find an adaptor for the block.

You really do need the help of a good prep shop or Taylor.

First thing I'd do based upon where you are is call Keith Averill and see if he has any good ideas.

Averill Racing Stuff
    (248) 585-9139
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

i appreciate how fast i got a response, this site is awesome! i'll follow up after the holiday weekend...this is for one of the 1st reynards into USA 1976

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

KEP / Kennedy Engineered Products makes the adapter for a bunch of stuff, including the FM. Give them a try.

Good Luck, GC

Liked: 5

Default good luck

I sent you a note to your e-mail address hope it helps formula vee #06

Liked: 157

Default How about this adapter?

Isn't this what he needs whether it is a Hewland, Webster or VW gearbox

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...oupID%3DTRANSC

I am surprised that the adapters are now over $400. They used to be about 110 at one time.

Post a WTB ad here and on race-cars.com and see if you can find a serviceable used one. Maybe that needs weld repair? assuming you can get it and repaired and still be under the price of a new one

here is a link to swapping the diff side to side. You will need to set the backlash properly. Anyone who works on FV (or Taylor....) can do this for you. You could have a go at it yourself and possibly get it right.

http://www.550spyder.pwp.blueyonder....ansmission.htm

Also look here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/arc...-275913--.html

and perhaps get help here on the Diff swap

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewfo...069d600da8229f

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by Roux; 11.24.12 at 11:01 AM.

Liked: 22

The internals of the VW are going to be all wrong for what you need for an FF. FV's have to stick to the stock internals (synchros, not dog rings), and the stock set of VW gear ratios. Those ratios end up making a 4-spd into a 2-spd on the track for FV's, as the only serviceable ratios for most tracks are 3rd and 4th, not what you want in FF, for sure. The other problem is you can't easily do ratio changes on the VW setup, whereas once Hewland converted this box to their internals, the quick-change feature was designed right into it. Plus they simultaneously made it a close-ratio, dog-ring (read fast-shifiting), proper racing gearbox. The VW box they started with was a street box, for shoving around a 2,300# Beetle...

For the money, by the time you buy the adaptor you'll need, plus go through the work of flipping the ring and pinion over, plus find a way to connect your halfshafts and shift linkage to it, you'll be way ahead of the game to just buy one of the used Hewlands or Websters in the FF Classifieds here on Apexspeed, and be done with it! Even if the one you buy needs a rebuild, at least you've got all the correct bones to do it right.

Liked: 22

Sorry, should have re-read the original post before chiming in! Especially the ending part that you just want to make the car useful for the time being, and re-do it later with a proper box....

In that light, yes, a flipped-over VW transaxle will work with the correct adaptor, but you're still going to have to figure out how to make the input shaft long enough, and somehow connect your halfshafts and shift linkage, the latter two being no small projects. And if you do accomplish those, you'll end up undoing what you did later on to go to the correct Hewland or Webster box. Sounds like a lot of effort to me., compared to going the Hewland route right now...fwiw. Good luck!

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by dtargonski View Post
    ...this is for one of the 1st reynards into USA 1976
    ALL THE MORE reason to call Keith Averill. He is the 'master' of the world of Reynards in the U.S.A.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

thank you dave i think you are right, i thought the vw was cheaper/easier...it doesn't really look that way with everyones input

thanks again
    dan

Liked: 121

I think there is an adaptor on e-bay for $175.

Liked: 95

Default VW to block adapter

I have a good adapter. It has no repairs or welding on it by memory. I have alot of stuff which will go for sale shortly so call 519-727-6133 (Windsor/Detroit area) or e-mail westrocmotorsport@hotmail.ca.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 19

Re-inventing the wheel....after the above...."Hey we can get an engineering crew in here to make, invent, recreate bout anything".........go back and see what original F-car parts are missing from your baby and go from there.....sure there may be mounting stuff missing or other missing but if just the transaxle then get that.....save for that.....EOP.....end of problem..................and of course you said u can't find a transaxle.....talk to WRD or Taylor to make one with your case (expensive that way) call Hewland in England and see what's on the landing in the back, may get lucky!!!...........actually saw a low budg guy in Ohio get all ready and borrow a MK9 to "Get it out there"........skin the cat, not my Lea though!!!!!
    Last edited by Modo; 11.26.12 at 2:16 PM.

Thread Information