Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
    I’ve been following these F3 posts, and from what I see, and whether some of you like it or not, the guy does make a lot of sense. Why would I buy an inferior car for the same price with worse reliability? It comes down to pure logic really.

And to JohnPaul, your comments were way out of line. Look at what just came out of your mouth, absolutely ridiculous! Seems to me that you are the one who looks like the jack*ss clown now!

I never said anything about reliability. I was commenting on his insulting insinuations on US paddocks and US drivers in general.
    I think you should go out and buy one right now and see where that gets you. no parts and no one to race against but at least you'll have a buddy on apexspeed that made money on brokering the sale or you can always to got Spain to race (if they even race there anymore).
    But you are absolutely right I'm making myself look like a complete jack8ss arguing with a [FONT=Verdana]Ignoramus.[/FONT]

Liked: 23

What? No one else likes the sombrero idea? Geez!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by a. pettipas View Post
    I don't understand why the sombrero has not been widely embraced by NA motorsports weekend warriors and consummate professionals alike?... Affordable, stylish, sun-protective headwear for summer months at the track. Thanks for planting the seed CF-3PO, this could be big and I'm not talking just brim O.D.
    I have no idea who the guy in the sombrero is, but that image represents just about everything most club racers love about the sport: getting there, being there, thrashing on your car in the pits at midnight, racing and being able to smile about it the next morning, and bragging about it on Monday morning to all the squares at work who spent the weekend golfing. The guy using that as some kind of negative example of anything is just clueless.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Screw sombreros. Pith helmets are where it's at.

Banned
    Liked: 2

Default Actually I’m beginning to like the idea…Sombreros a Plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by a. pettipas View Post
    I don't understand why the sombrero has not been widely embraced by NA motorsports weekend warriors and consummate professionals alike?
    [FONT=Verdana]
    and Brett is right pointing out the Sombrero advantages! It could become a staple in any garage. Wren you keep saying that Nordberg, Kazis31 and myself don’t get it, maybe it is YOU! who doesn’t get it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]“What exactly is more advanced about it?...old obsolete, uncompetitive cars.” Rubbish talk as we all can see that these cars are incredible, super-reliable, very-affordable, and parts readily-available.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]It only takes 10+ cars to start a Series and grow grid numbers from there. Just 10 believers out of 16,000+ members on here, not bad odds at all to garner, and to run against others in fabulous racecars.[/FONT]

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Formula 3 Championship View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]Wren you keep saying that Nordberg, Kazis31 and myself don’t get it, maybe it is YOU! who doesn’t get it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]“What exactly is more advanced about it?...old obsolete, uncompetitive cars.” Rubbish talk as we all can see that these cars are incredible, super-reliable, very-affordable, and parts readily-available.[/FONT]
    Help me out. What is it that I don't get?

That does remind me of another thread on here where a member related a story regarding his struggle getting parts for his F3 car and you went off telling him how wrong he is.

Yes, an old, obsolete F3 car is affordable. But old, obsolete FC cars are too.
    [FONT=Verdana]It only takes 10+ cars to start a Series and grow grid numbers from there. Just 10 believers out of 16,000+ members on here, not bad odds at all to garner
    and after all of these months, you have succeeded in getting how many brought in?

Still waiting on a picture of your paddock/rig or an apples to apples paddock comparison.

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar

The seductive power of carbon fibre.
    aaron

Liked: 384

This thread makes Presidential debate look like kindergarten.
    Why don't we focus all that energy on actual racing and whoever like f3 will race those or other carbon fiber cars and other will be picking steel tubes out of them in case of bad crash.

lol.
    Like i said we all need to chill.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Banned
    Liked: 2

Default The "Sombrero Thread"

[FONT=Verdana]Oh, you mean that one; http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54021 …or the one where I gave the contact names and job titles of the people in charge at their manufacturers to verify for yourself if you didn’t believe me? …and why do you think acquiring parts is sooo hard when these manufacturers today have huge stocks that are supporting multiple Championships?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]“After all these months” …I just joined Apex in August at the end of the racing season, we just entered the buying season starting November 1st. A guy in Ontario is buying a Dallara F300 next month, another Ottawa based guy is buying in January, I’ll always have one, and there’s 3 more Dallaras in the states. I just need my 10 racers. My paddock, I ran once this past July and didn’t take any photos as I was working too hard on the car. But next time, you'll get them I promise.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Kazis31 View Post
    Like i said we all need to chill.
    I agree Maris, you can fight amongst yourselves, but I'm bowing out of it. wasting too much time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazis31 View Post
    Why don't we focus all that energy on actual racing and whoever like f3 will race those or other carbon fiber cars and other will be picking steel tubes out of them in case of bad crash.
    Because people keep posting ignorant opinions like this. One of the first threads CF3C made here was insulting tube frame cars and claiming how much safer they were. He was pretty soundly slapped down with actual facts but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

An important distinction to me is that the F3 guys will be lapping against no equal competition while the FF/FC guys will be racing.

Liked: 14

not the way to go about business Mark, comparing a pro F3 operation with a club Miata racer then saying we are behind the times.

BTW the 91 Reynard you keep pushing in the sale section for someone to buy to run your series wasnt even the car to have when I was trying to run, it was the Ralt RT35( or 34 its been awile and I forget. 91 was Reynards dip the toe back in year with the factory directly running DeFerran). The Reynard didnt win the title till 92 with DeFerran and PSR in the ride I thought I had secured.

You keep talking about there being too many options so you are starting, in theory atleast, a new open wheel series, and a new karting series. So how is that helping there being too many options?

Oh and for the record my 44' transporter with fully enclosed 20' wide 13' high awning has kept me in business , full time, since 1998. I dont you are anyone else a damn thing who doesnt think my operation isnt modern enough.

you need to tone it down a bit or just move to Europe and start your used car series over there.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    Screw sombreros. Pith helmets are where it's at.
    Dude, you are simply wrong. The sombrero is much better for us NA club racer types. The pith helmet is just too fancy and "european" for my taste. I got myself one just for paddock use next season. Took a photo of me trying in on so you can all see just how good it looks.

I think it will improve my paddock image in 2013
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.01.14 at 6:29 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

[FONT=Verdana]Oh, you mean that one; http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54021 …or the one where I gave the contact names and job titles of the people in charge at their manufacturers to verify for yourself if you didn’t believe me? …and why do you think acquiring parts is sooo hard when these manufacturers today have huge stocks that are supporting multiple Championships?[/FONT]
    No, I was referencing this thread:

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54640

Someone comes in and gives an anecdote relating their struggles to obtain a spare part for their car, he even copies and pastes the emails from Dallara with POC's. Then you have the stones to tell him he is wrong? WTF? Your tone here from the beginning has not been helpful to what you are trying to accomplish. Cluelessness.

[FONT=Verdana]“After all these months” …I just joined Apex in August at the end of the racing season, we just entered the buying season starting November 1st. A guy in Ontario is buying a Dallara F300 next month, another Ottawa based guy is buying in January, I’ll always have one, and there’s 3 more Dallaras in the states. I just need my 10 racers. My paddock, I ran once this past July and didn’t take any photos as I was working too hard on the car. But next time, you'll get them I promise.[/FONT]
    So the answer is no one has bought one yet?

I didn't realize that there was a start of the buying season.

I will wait anxiously for your pictures. Until then I assume it is every bit as nice as the RP motorsports setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Dude, you are simply wrong. The sombrero is much better for us NA club racer types. The pith helmet is just too fancy and "european" for my taste. I got myself one just for paddock use next season. Took a photo of me trying in on so you can all see just how good it looks.

I think it will improve my paddock image in 2013

I really envy you. Where did you get yours? My wife thinks you look handsome with that awesome sombrero!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Bill, did that sombrero come with a sheriff's badge?
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 190

Matt,

When I got the hat, I asked specifically if the sombrero purchase came with a badge. The clerk got rather upset and I recorded his response.

You can here it here:

http://www.rudebadmood.com/badges/badges1.wav
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

[FONT=Verdana]It only takes 10+ cars to start a Series and grow grid numbers from there. Just 10 believers out of 16,000+ members on here, not bad odds at all to garner, and to run against others in fabulous racecars.[/FONT]
    FB has close to 80+ (pretty equal) cars nationwide and you'd be lucky if you can get 10 out at the runoffs. With 10 cars you'd be lucky if can get 2 at any one race. Just stating the obvious.

Liked: 120

Default Clarification

This is a heads up to all Apexpeed folk.

1. There is no such thing as the Canadian Formula 3 Championship.

2. It is highly unlikely there ever will be. Basic economics and the number of people actually participating in open wheel racing in Canada are too low.

3. F3 cars are interesting to browse in photos. Running one is a different game. You don't just dust it off and run it every couple of weekends. Not unless you want to hurt yourself that is. Sooner or later something with mileage on it will bite you in the *** and it could be a 'big one' at 150mph not 125mph which I call FF/Zetec pace.

KR.

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    Bill, did that sombrero come with a sheriff's badge?
    Badges? We doan need no stinkin badges!

oops, I didn't look further down the thread before I posted. Please forgive me for barging in and misquoting.

Interesting how the thread went from North of the border to South of the border...
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Yes, interesting... And I find it highly offensive that poor people that are even further South of the border are protrayed as SCCA members in the lower 48. They don't want to race cars, and I for one don't want to work for Pancho Villa.

But I have to get one of those hats!!

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    You're MO has been to run down other series and cars.
    *your*..

Liked: 27

Quote Originally Posted by tonyave View Post
    North America has a literal Motorsports machine called NASCAR that dwarfs anything seen in Europe except F1. The difference here is that the NASCAR tracks make huge money, whereas most F1 events need government subsidies to survive past the first few years of excitement.

Theres an awful lot of posting on this (F3) subject on this site regarding a series that doesn't exist. There are several oval racing series (pavement and dirt) that have pretty impressive traveling circuses, something that most road racing aficionados don't think about.

Oval racing in NA is what road racing in Europe is. That's the proper comparison, not F3 there to some club event here. Every good WoO race here turns a lot more profit than a comparable F3 race does there. Don't even try to compare T shirt sales.

The real pros here make money from their results. The pros in F3 there are the team owners taking money from rent a drivers.

I love F3 too, but it is what it is, you don't have more money in your pocket after a good season, the team you are paying does. Not true of Scott Bloomquist.

There, that oughta generate some fun reading.....

Tony Ave
    Truer words were never spoken. There are open-wheel racers who make a living at it in Pennsylvania, and they never travel more than 100 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    *your*..

Wow, that is awful. I hope I can blame that on iPhone autocorrect.

Liked: 0

Question: Carbon vs tube:-How many racers out there have 'crashed on Saturday and raced on Sunday ' Who did the repair and the cost?

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

happens all the time at the Indy 500. Crash on carb day, strip the tub, air freight to england, fix, air freight back, have the crew thrash all night to put it back together, go out in a crowd of 33 at 220 mph with no idea of what works or doesn't, and then break at about lap 50 because of something that was just a little off when it was all put back together.....

Cost????

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I didn't read every post in this quite ridiculous thread, and it may have been mentioned already. Reading about how we here in America are a bunch of slobs when it comes to our "paddock space" and shops, I did notice that the pics of "our" cars all had treaded tires on them. Besides treaded Dunlops in vintage, I don't remember in the last 30 years or so, ever seeing treaded tires on any formula car that has come through my crap pile shop. Come to think about it, the last time I saw a treaded tire ( other than vintage) on a Formula Ford in person was north of our border.

Oh BTW,.....Sorry I had to decline your friend request Canadian formula 3 championship guy. My Mom only allows me two race promoter friends at a time. Rand and Foschi fill my quota.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 111

This is the most inane thread.

I really don't know how to begin to comment. Good luck with this posh field of (f3) dreams thing. I'll have to remember what slobs we are in the USF2000 championship.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

CF3C, you simply don't get that amount of fixed cost investment at the club level when the same guy tows, owns, and drives the race car. As someone who straddles the club/pro (Rolex Series) divide, there are certain expectations of the quality of trackside support/facilities at the professional level. Don't alienate the club racer with your apples to oranges comparison. Would everyone love to have a budget for an F1-style setup? SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Lane View Post
    What? No one else likes the sombrero idea? Geez!
    David A. McMahon, P.E.

McMahon Raceworks FB/FA/F??? mothballed for now

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    happens all the time at the Indy 500. Crash on carb day, strip the tub, air freight to england, fix, air freight back
    Or just send it to Eloisa Garza in Indy. One thing that most forget (or don't know) about carbon tubs is that they are not impervious to wear, tear and just plain wearing out. They are race cars and have been thrashed. Delamination that can not be seen can easily occur. Any car that has run for several years in any pro series will have had some relatively major shunts. Just because a tub shows no indicatuion of cracking or other damage does't mean much. Ideally the tub should be sent to Eloisa for X-ray. Or Algie. That's my limited understanding. I'm sure Richard or Steve can shed a lot more light on this issue.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 1417

There is nothing productive going on in this thread except people making themselves look bad. There is no reason to bash other people's setups to make yours look better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information