Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 2

oops! Looks like I've open a can of worms

I understand that the speed difference is huge. It's been a while I find that a 944 is slow. But very fun to drive and I'm doing it with my friends. I want to move up the ranks, but I don't want to buy a F1600, then sell it because I want to learn aero. Then buy a F2000. I've wasted so much money building a Turbo 944 just to sell it at a fraction of the cost to go race an atmospheric 944, I don't want to make that same mistake again.

I also understand that a formula 1600 is not like a sedan. Still, the same basics apply (alignment, rake, ride heigth, sway bars, springs, these are all things we - sedan drivers - also play with, including shocks too, only 2 way adjustable though). What is that mechanical grip that is so different? I truly don't know. You guys know. I'll have to learn it for sure.

I'm mentally prepared for that rude awakening. And quite franckly, this is what I want. I'm not fooling myself. I don't pretend anything either. I just want to jump in that bandwagon of complexity. Hey, if I don't like it I can always race something else.

But I think I will like it. I have a good friend of mine who use to race the Export A FF2000 in the late eighties, then raced for Jackie Stewart in the Formula Opel Serie then came back here racing in the FF2000 USAC/SCCA pro serie in 92-94. I guess he could help out a bit . I have a very good mechanic. Will need to find someone on the engineering side.

Thanks for the input and sorry to have hi-jacked the thread...

c.
    "Racing is an addiction that makes heroin seem like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Liked: 18

Default Spectrum F2000

2012 must have been one for the old chassis, with La Rocca winning the F2000 series in a 99 VD, and Matt Brabham winning the USF2000 series in a 2001 VD which used to belong to Scott Willard, Matts Mazda engine had 9411 miles on it at the end of VIR, never rebuilt only checked on the dyno by Elite, we have added another 700 miles since then.
    I agree with Dave until something else comes along the old VD takes the cake.

2013 will see the Spectrum 014 F2000 introduced, we feel this will be a step forward in speed and maintenance at a resonable price.

We attached some wings we had to one of our cars to see what it could look like,and we loved it, while Borland Racing Developments is in the process of building the first one.
    Last edited by LFC; 06.22.16 at 8:56 AM.

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin View Post
    What is that mechanical grip that is so different?
    From a 944 to a FF? About 0.5G!

Nothing wrong with jumping in with both feet if you fully expect to be surprised and challenged. I think some people took issue with some wording you used like "So far I could buy a VD, Piper or Mygale and win a race" or "apart from being faster, there's no big difference from a sedan.". They're pretty big statements to make without a bit of context, that's all

Anyway, I think you'd still be surprised at how quick a good FF can be and how much of a challenge it is to drive at the limit compared to most sedans, but if like you say you're doing it for the learning experience and the challenge, yeah, I'd go straight to FC too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    From a 944 to a FF? About 0.5G!

Nothing wrong with jumping in with both feet if you fully expect to be surprised and challenged. I think some people took issue with some wording you used like "So far I could buy a VD, Piper or Mygale and win a race" or "apart from being faster, there's no big difference from a sedan.". They're pretty big statements to make without a bit of context, that's all

Anyway, I think you'd still be surprised at how quick a good FF can be and how much of a challenge it is to drive at the limit compared to most sedans, but if like you say you're doing it for the learning experience and the challenge, yeah, I'd go straight to FC too!
    Well, you are right, my wording must have been a bit lousy. I'm born with French as my first language, so my english is far from perfect. I never meant I was going to win a race myself!!! What I wanted to say was that whatever chassis someone chooses, if he has talent, money and a properly prepared car, he can win, right?

My objective is to get a chassis that is capable of winning a race. Me, as a driver, I don't expect to win anything as a rookie. And later on in my development as a F2000 driver, if I'm not winning any, that means that I still have to work on my driving and set-up. And that is my objective. I want to become a better driver and the F2000 seems a great place where I could improve my driving.

I never planned on leaving the 944 Cup until I started to win races. My thinking was that if I'm a bad driver in a very slow sedan, there's no hope for me. Now that I can win races, I'm planning for the next step.

I could have bought a very very nice F2000 with the money I lost on my turbo car... And I'm 100% sure I would enjoy a F1600. But at some point, I'll be seated in an F2000. So why not start with one right away?

c.
    "Racing is an addiction that makes heroin seem like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 19

Default VD 97?

I wondered about the 97 VD as an option. Little cheaper and I am intrigued by Kevin F's post in the "cars for sale" section where he posted this about a 97 VD:

"along the way this car has passed thru some good hands. Shaffer, Firlein, Langbein. always a good car. I love the 97 VD's"

Kevin - can you expand on this a little? Easier to set up/ easier to drive? what?

Would be very informative to get your feedback based on your experience.

Thanks,

JeffW

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

That spectrum F2000 looks sweet!

Liked: 1879

I don't think anyone took anything you said badly - they just want to make sure you understand that the difference in performance is not always understood by someone coming out of a sedan class - a Formula Ford on an out lap will still be faster than a 944 on its best qualifying lap, and maybe still by another 5 seconds or so!

While you are correct that as far as adjustments available to you, both classes closely resemble each other, what you will find much different is the ultra-sensitivity to changes that wouldn't even register in a 944. It is because of this that we recommend that you get a well-sorted car and a mentor - you can screw an FF or FC up faster than you can think about it.

Next will be how quickly the car responds to any and all inputs, and how insanely far you will go into a corner before you even think about braking compared to the 944.

Once you driven either, a sedan will be boring in comparison!

Liked: 3294

Default Sedan vs FF

I have to say, in my experience going back and forth between FF and a Mazda RX7 or Camaro Showroom Stock that we ran in the Longest Day 24-hr races at Nelson Ledges, while the FF definitely fits the scenario that Richard noted above, neither was boring or, IMO, harder to drive than the other. They were just very different, as Richard says.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    I don't think anyone took anything you said badly - they just want to make sure you understand that the difference in performance is not always understood by someone coming out of a sedan class - a Formula Ford on an out lap will still be faster than a 944 on its best qualifying lap, and maybe still by another 5 seconds or so!
    The speed difference at Mosport is about 16 seconds a lap. At WGI, it's about 24 seconds and about 20 seconds at VIR (944 vs FF2000).

While you are correct that as far as adjustments available to you, both classes closely resemble each other, what you will find much different is the ultra-sensitivity to changes that wouldn't even register in a 944. It is because of this that we recommend that you get a well-sorted car and a mentor - you can screw an FF or FC up faster than you can think about it.
    I made a small adjustment on the rake of the car for the Mt-Tremblant race. Half an inch.

Next will be how quickly the car responds to any and all inputs, and how insanely far you will go into a corner before you even think about braking compared to the 944.
    Braking? Our cars are not fast enough the require braking . Seriouly, I' m still on the same brake pads since the beginning of the season. 5 events, 14 races. And I'm still good for the next 2 weekends! I learned to unbrake going from the turbo to the atmo, as we can carry lots more speed than with the former. I guess I will learn a lot with an F car.

Once you driven either, a sedan will be boring in comparison!

Racing will remain racing, which is the fun part of it. I'm looking forward to drive one.
    Last edited by Charles A. Toupin; 11.21.12 at 11:15 PM.

Liked: 296

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    The leap from a 944 to an FC is as dramatic as the leap from a bottle of Jergens lotion to a live woman.
    Tell me more.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 151

I bet no one thought this thread would take this direction.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livengood View Post
    Tell me more.
    No problem. I just need to get a 944 and a woman, then I will get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    No problem. I just need to get a 944 and a woman, then I will get back to you.
    I can provide the 944.

Liked: 14

now just just needs to buy a woman...for 5 - 10 minutes
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 145

Default F2000

I would strongly advise purchasing and using a HANS device before moving up from spec Jergens.....helps with the increased lateral g's and wind buffeting

Default Spectrum

The Spectrum is an Australian made chassis and have been making and racing VERY competitively in FF here is OZ for many years. They have won a number of our National Championships.

They have a good reputation, high build quality and good customer support.

That Spectrum F2000 looks very very sexy.

Chris, the fit and the finish is way more important on a woman than on a racecar. Way more.......

Liked: 10

Default Jergens

The Jergen's will help with the Hans job but may make the gear shaft a bit slippery.
    Jimmy Hanrahan
    jimh3063@yahoo.com

Liked: 3294

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Horvath View Post
    Chris, the fit and the finish is way more important on a woman than on a racecar. Way more.......
    Good play on words...
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Welcome to F2000, where having a VD is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Horvath View Post
    Not everything is a race to win.
    David A. McMahon, P.E.

McMahon Raceworks FB/FA/F??? mothballed for now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information