Thread: transaxle HELP

Liked: 1

Default transaxle HELP

i'm not rich, i have other projects and kids tuition and race bikes to support. i just missed a hewland on e bay by a couple hundred bucks, is there a cheaper alternative for a ff1600? porsche, vw, something else must work, right? thank you in advance for any advice

Liked: 1397

Quote Originally Posted by dtargonski View Post
    i'm not rich, i have other projects and kids tuition and race bikes to support. i just missed a hewland on e bay by a couple hundred bucks, is there a cheaper alternative for a ff1600? porsche, vw, something else must work, right? thank you in advance for any advice
    What are you looking for? FFs have used Renault, VW, VW adaptions and Hewland LD200 gear boxes. Webster made an inexpensive VW conversion that will work. You can use a VW IRS gear box with a few simple modifications as well. Junk yard stuff.

help me out, be speciic, what should i buy?!

help me out, be speciic, what should i buy?!
    You did not answer my first question. What are you going to use the trans. for?
    Are you building a car or are you trying to fit a transmission to an existing car?

The cheepest thing is to use a VW IRS transmission from a late model Bug. You will need the engine adapter and an input shaft which Taylor Race can find for you. The box can come from a salvage yard or you might be able to get a new one from Mexico.

The VW case transmissions will be the lowest cost because the bell housing adapters are inexpensive. Parts for these gear boxes are still available. FM use a variation of this box. You do have to use the VW box with both side covers that are removable because you have to reverse the ring gear in the box.

You can start with the VW inards and over time convert those parts to Hewland/Webster type for quich change gears. Taylor's guys may know if the original Webster conversion kits are available. That way you can use the VW CWP of which there are 2 ratio options.

Years ago, I built a Zink Z10 with a Webster conversion box in an effort to see how inexpensive I could do a new Z10. The box worked just fine.

Contact Scotty at Taylor.

Default thanks

i'm sorry, i bought the car disassembled, i would like to at least auto x this year. its one of the first (4) reynards in the states, a 76. ultimately i'd like the hewland so its correct, but i just want to get it ready to have some fun this spring. i appreciate your suggestion and will follow up with this idea

Default posts

hey if i bug you a bit longer a can be your 1000th post!

Liked: 126

Also, a Porsche 901 type box from a 914 will work. They were overbuilt for the 80-90 HP VW Type IV engine, so you can find them cheap and in good shape. And there are kits available to make them into a dogbox (not cheap).

i don't want to be a pest but i need more specifics, what kind of kit would i need?
    ??

i don't want to be a pest but i need more specifics, what kind of kit would i need?
    ??
    http://taylor-race.com/ Scotty is your guy. He will know what is still available. He may even have a gear box.

Liked: 0

Default Transaxle help- VW IRS Type 1

I too am trying to find an inexpensive alternative to the Hewland. I bought a 79 Van Dieman roller. I sourced a Pinto 1600GT engine that I plan to disassemble and rebuild. For now I do not need a fast shift transmission so the street synchro gearbox will work. Could someone here advise me if a 1968-69 VW Type 1 IRS gearbox will work? Do I have to invert the gearbox? If so, what mods are needed? Thank you-

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    I too am trying to find an inexpensive alternative to the Hewland. I bought a 79 Van Dieman roller. I sourced a Pinto 1600GT engine that I plan to disassemble and rebuild. For now I do not need a fast shift transmission so the street synchro gearbox will work. Could someone here advise me if a 1968-69 VW Type 1 IRS gearbox will work? Do I have to invert the gearbox? If so, what mods are needed? Thank you-
    That should work. You will have to invert the gear box and switch the CWP side to side. You will have to use a FV type shift setup to change gears. The input shaft will have to be changed and you will have to built a mounting brack that replicates the Hewland side plates or see if you find a pair of Webster side plates that retain the VW CWP. You will need an adapter to mate the engine and VW case. The adapter should be easy to find as they are still in production from several sources. I think that the Titan style is the best. Start with Taylor for your parts hunt.

Liked: 11

I have a Hewland mk9 box from a Crossle FF that is for sale. pm if interested.

Liked: 79

We have a webster Mk9 in the shop that may be for sale, We've had it for 3 years, I'll contact the owner and see what he wants to do.

Lee Williams
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Slightly off topic here.... does anyone know if an adapter exists between an LD200 and VW Type IV engine?

Liked: 79

Rob, we have supplied an adaptor from mk9 to a jfr, the mounting face is basically the same between the ld and jfr, I'll look up the drawing and let you know for sure.
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Lee, PM sent. Thanks, Graham

Thanks Lee. I've been looking at doing a funky project.
    Rob

Liked: 0

I too am in need of this very same adapter. are they still available? and do they have provisions for a starter? any pictures?

Liked: 5

Default mark9

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy O'Brien View Post
    I have a Hewland mk9 box from a Crossle FF that is for sale. pm if interested.
    PATTY I am putting a crossle 16 f formula ford. i need a trans,have a case, mark 8 sidecovers and rear bearing casting assembly goody421@charter.net

Liked: 295

Are there less expensive ring and pinions available for the LD200? ...like VW?

I am looking for a way to achieve a 3.44 final drive to replace my 3.1.

Liked: 182

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    You might find building a vw box with decent road racing gears to cost a lot more than you think.
    I've been down that road. Rethink the Hewland regarding resale, durability, gear ratios, etc.

Thread Information