Liked: 1417

Default The Formula 600 Challenge Series

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 10/22/2012

The Formula 600 Challenge Series announces that the ARRC at Road Atlanta will be a money race with sponsorship.

The Formula 600 Challenge Series will be starting its new race series with the 2012 ARRC at Road Atlanta. This race will have financial sponsorship from Metalloid Corporation, Racing Analytics and Formula 600 Racing.

The Formula 600 Challenge series was developed to help promote an affordable open wheel formula car to showcase talent without large financial race budgets. The Formula 600 open wheel cars use a 600cc motorcycle engine and a 6 speed sequential drive chain revving up to 12,000 rpm with speeds capable in excess of 135 mph. The sound of these drivetrains at 12,000 rpm with their 6 speed sequential transmissions is likened to a F1 car.

"We are excited about our new sponsors for this year's ARRC at Road Atlanta and look forward to sponsorship for an eight race series for 2013," says Jim Murphy, Partner Formula 600 Racing. A purse will be provided for each race, starting this year with the ARRC at Road Atlanta, and composed of cash and prize awards for the top finishers, along with tow fund payments. The eight race series next year will be at tracks located in most SCCA divisions with the final race coming back to the 2013 ARRC at Road Atlanta. "As a sponsor of the series, we look forward to this year's ARRC at Road Atlanta and are very excited about the race series for the Formula 600 next year," says Fred Edwards CEO of Metalloid Corporation.

Look for further press releases about The Formula 600 Challenge website and next year's races.

For more information Contact:

Jim Murphy
    jdmurphy47@aol.com
    770-861-2337

Fred Edwards
    f.edwards@metalloidcorp.com
    260-438-4295

A few photos from Clark McInnis at Road Atlanta in July at the SARRC Double:

These might get you hooked on this new class if you haven't been already...

Liked: 0

Default Is this now a real class?

Looks like a "cheap" date [which as we know is all good] ...

Liked: 553

How much money will Clint win this weekend? :-)

Liked: 5

Yes this is a real class now. Cars were legalized as a regional class in April. Hopefully we will be rolled back into F500 in the next year or two so that we will be eligible to run national races also. Some of the best bang for your buck in SCCA racing. We will have 4 F600's at the ARRC this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nriFU...zEPBqNn9AkF7Rg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6TPU...zEPBqNn9AkF7Rg
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

All things in my life being different, THIS is the class I would step back into the SCCA with, in a heartbeat. All you have to do is watch one of those videos of an F600 screaming (and shifting) down the front straight at Road Atlanta and you're hooked. New car costs for (potential F600s) as well as there being plenty of suitable F500 conversion donors on the market make this tremendously inviting. I'd personally love to see this class grow in size with a very stable set of rules to keep it inviting to lower budget (but not necessarily entry level) racers like myself.

dc

Banned
    Liked: 1116

What Doug said

Liked: 1

Default way cool&?

way cool
    do these cars have pushrod independent suspension?
    or are they solid non suspended like the org. f500?
    thanks
    steve

Liked: 57

"Way Cool" is right! These cars are, and this concept is AWESOME!

F600, like F500, cars are suspended. They just use elastimeric "pucks" for springs and friction for rebound control - most use adjustable push/pull rod designs. The rear axle is required to be solid, so the rear isn't independant. The designs are quite sophisticated and effective.
    George Bugg
    -----------------------------
    NovaKar
    F600

Liked: 1

Default F6 Suspension...

Thanks GBugg,

These cars are very interesting,fast&cost efective.
    Was looking at older FF`s for autocross&FRCCA.
    F6 looks like a better bang for the buck etc..
    Only down side is very few used cars f/s,being a new class.

Thanks
    Steve W

Here are two excellent candidates for conversion: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54843
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55103

Or just run as a 500. Either way you're going to have a BLAST for about as cheap as it gets!
    George Bugg
    NovaKar
    F600

Liked: 296

I'm just curious, and i'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere here but couldn't find it, what is the cost of a F600 build?

Let's say used chassis to transplate, but with doing all worthwhile updates to make the chassis current/competitive. Then also doing whatever might need done to have a fast but reliable engine.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

It cost me a little over $5k to convert my KBS (the red #86 car pictured above) - including an eBay motor that ran great (until I ran it low on oil ) I purchased most of the "kit" pieces from Jay Novak and Dave Piontek and did the assembly and a little custom fab stuff myself. And in full disclosure, that counts the "income" from selling the Rotax stuff and spares. I know some have spent more than that, but you don't have to.

I sold my KBS this summer for exactly what I had in it - $13.5k - so I could do another one! I'm going to get started on the NovaKar this weekend!!
    George Bugg
    NovaKar
    F600

Liked: 5

I think a Novakar chassis might be a little bit cheaper to convert than the KBS/QRE chassis, but probably not enough to make a difference. Let us know your costs on converting the Novakar when you get close to done George. Either of the chassis's should be capable of running at the front.

You really don't need to do anything to the engine assuming you get a low mileage one off Ebay. Install a Power Commander V piggy back ECU and purchase the tune from Clint or take the car to a chassis dyno and pay someone else to do it. Buying it from Clint is way cheaper and is a good and slightly conservative tune for engine longevity. It is the tune that most of us are currently using.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 896

The NovaKar chassis that George has is an easy conversion as the engine fits in the engine bay so it is simply a matter of doing some new mounts and mods to the axle. There are actually only 3 of those chassis and one has already been done and raced. That was my car that Glenn Cooper won the ARRC with 2 year ago. The 3rd car is still and F500 and was Don Hamilton's car so it fits a 6' 5" 250 lb guy.

That car is now owned by Charles Lemeron and is being worked on VERY slowly at my shop getting it ready for F500 for next year. It is for sale though if someone is interested. This is a great car and just needs some freshening.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

The Formula 600 Challenge Series announces three series sponsors for 2013

The Formula 600 Challenge Series announces three financial sponsors for the Formula 600 Challenge Series 2013 pro races. We are pleased to announce that Metalloid Corporation of Sturgis, Michigan, Shrieve Chemical Products of Houston, Texas and ZIBEX, Inc., Duluth, Georgia will be providing a combined $4000.00-$5000.00 per race purse for the Formula 600 Challenge Series.

Metalloid Corporation is an international manufacturer of renewable ?Green? metalworking fluids (www.metalloidcorp.com). Shrieve Chemical Products is an international supplier of organic and inorganic industrial commodity chemicals (www.shrieve.com). ZIBEX, Inc. a leading supplier of waste water treatment chemicals, additives and technologies (www.zibexwater.com). We are pleased to have these great sponsors on board for 2013 and will be announcing other sponsors of the series very soon.

The Formula 600 Challenge series was developed to help promote an affordable open wheel formula car to showcase talent without large financial race budgets. The Formula 600 open wheel cars use a 600cc motorcycle engine and a 6 speed sequential drive chain revving up to 13,000 rpm with speeds capable in excess of 135 mph. The sound of these drivetrains at 13,000 rpm with their 6 speed sequential transmissions is likened to a F1 car.

For more information Contact:

Jim Murphy
    jdmurphy47@aol.com
    770-861-2337

Fred Edwards
    F.Edwards@metalloidcorp.com
    260-438-4295

The Formula 600 Challenge Series announces per race weekend prize payout and format

• Kansas Motor Speedway, May 4-5 2013 ($5000.00)
    • Watkins Glen International, Watkins Glen, New York, July 20-21 2013 ($5000.00)
    • Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, Alabama August 31-Sept. 1 2013 ($4000.00)
    • Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio October 5-6 2013 ($4000.00)
    • Road Atlanta, Braselton, Georgia November 1-3 2013 ($4000.00)

For the double race weekends the payout will be based on total points per race weekend.
    1st - 20 points
    2nd - 18 points
    3rd - 16 points
    4th - 15 points
    5th - 14 points
    6th - 13 points
    7th - 12 points
    8th - 11 points
    9th - 10 points
    10th - 9 points
    11th - 8 points
    12th - 7 points