Liked: 0

I'm posting the current working draft of the rules underwhich Club Fords will participate in Monoposto vintage events. There are some important things to bear in mind:

1. This is a DRAFT document currently under review and comment. It WILL change before it becomes final.

2. The rules update for vintage FF's currently discusses permitting the recently approved crankshafts by SCCA. This is important since vintage FF's and vintage FF70 Formula Fords (Club Fords) will very likely run to the same engine rules.

3. The draft FF70 rules reference the Monoposto Rules which can viewed at www.monoposto.com
    Please bear in mind that these rules are currently undergoing some minor updates, so some of the words can/will change before all this becomes final.

However, I have been getting emails from racers eager to see the FF70 rules, so here is the current draft version:

FF70 1973-1981 FORMULA FORD RULES

I. DEFINITION

A class for single seat, open wheel race cars manufactured and raced from 1973 through 1981 by private owners, using the standard Ford 1600 crossflow, pushrod engine. The following commercially constructed cars are eligible:

Alexis – MK23/24/24B
    Caldwell – DL15FF and DL9 made in 1975
    Crossle – 25F/30F/32F/35F/40F/45F – 1976 to 1979 (only the 32F/35F are eligible to use the Crossle wing tray)
    Dulon – MP15/17/19/21
    Eagel – DGF
    Elden – PRH10/17/19/20,HD24
    Elfin -620
    Hawke – DL11/15/17/19
    Hermes – 16/79, 16/80
    Huron – FP2
    HR2760
    Image – FF2/2B/3/4/5
    Javelin – JL2/5
    Legrand – MK13/13B/21/27
    Lola – T340/342/440/540
    Meryln – MK24/25/28/29
    PRS – RH02, 81F
    Reynard – 73F/76F/77F/78F
    Rostron – RT 77/78
    Rowland – 1975/76 RP, RP 24-77, RP26-78
    Sark 2
    Sparton – FF78
    Titan – MK8/9
    Tiga – FF75F/76F
    Van Diemen – RF 73/74/76/78/79/80/81
    Viking – None
    Winkleman (Became Nomad –Palliser) – KHF/1 (WDF4), KHF/2 (WDF5/6)
    Zink – Z-10
    Zeus – FF81

Any otherwise eligible FF70 Formula Ford not on the MR Eligibility List may be considered for eligibility upon application to the MR President or his designee, by the car owner.
    FF70 Formula Fords will comply with the rules specified in the Monoposto Racing Rules and Regulations for Pre-1973 Historic Formula Fords (hereafter referred to as Pre-1973 Rules) and general rules specified in the Monoposto Racing Rules and Regulations with the following exceptions and clarifications:

II. ENGINE

a] General

The engine shall be the standard Ford 1600 pushrod crossflow, as specified in the Pre-1973 Rules. Specifically, aluminum heads and solid state ignition systems are not permitted.

III. TRANSMISSION
    Per Pre-1973 rules.

IV. FINAL DRIVE

Per Pre-1973 rules.

V. CLUTCH

Per Pre-1973 rules.

VI. CHASSIS

Monocoque chassis construction is not permitted.

VII. SUSPENSION AND RUNNING GEAR

Shock absorbers are free with the exception that external reservoirs are not allowed. CV joints are permitted. At a minimum, one end of the car shall have outboard suspension.

VIII. BODY

The body shall conform to the original design. Alterations made to improve safety and competitiveness are permitted.
    IX. BRAKES

Cockpit brake bias adjusters are permitted.

X. WHEELS

Wheels shall be 13’ with a maximum width of 5.5". Wheel covers, wheel faces or any device to fair in wheels is prohibited. Wheels must be metal (steel, aluminum, magnesium…).

XI. TIRES

Tires shall be slicks which fit the 13” by 5.5” wheels. Tire manufacturer and type are free. Rain tires are permitted.

Xll. MINIMUM WEIGHT

The minimum weight is: 950 lbs. [including coolant, fuel and lubricants, but no driver].

XIII. FUEL TANKS

Per Pre-1973 Rules.

XIV. ORIGINAL SPECIFICATIONS

All FF70 Formula Fords must compete in the specification as manufactured and raced. Updates and modifications which were made during the life of the car to improve it’s competitiveness and safety are permitted. However, the racer, if challenged, must be able to demonstrate that these changes were in compliance with the SCCA GCR’s in effect during it’s racing history.

XV. RACING WITH FORMULA CLASSIC CARS

FF70 cars may not race in any Formula Classic race.

XVI. PRESENTATION

FF70 cars shall be presented with a clean and finished appearance in keeping with the spirit of vintage racing. Cars with a rough appearance or otherwise deemed inappropriately presented may be excluded by Monoposto/race officials.

Dan Schmutte
    Vice President
    Monoposto Racing
    creekboy80@aol.com

Liked: 313

In the spirit of "changes will be made", could you add the Royale brand to the list? I have a 1976 RP-21 and I know of quite a few Royales running around. They built some good cars and it appears the mark was overlooked. Also, why specify weight of the car w/o driver instead of with? As a 240 lb. driver, I need to save weight on the car to make up for my size.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

I agree, the obvious omission of Royales numerous models appropriate to the class might be easier to address at this juncture than after the rules are "cast in stone". Per Steve Nickless's book, and many other sources, Royale models RP21, 24, 26, and arguably 29 should be listed.
    Under Viking, you say "none". The original, one off Viking built in 1979 of Titan parts including suspension, outboard front, is known to exist and in fact be in restoration. As a legal SCCA Club Ford car, to say nothing of its historic interest as a predecessor to the later streamliner models, it would be an interesting to any field.
    Regarding weight, the class has been weighed as raced with driver for decades now, a bit of research would dig up the exact date, maybe Joe Stimola or Dave Weitzenhof could supply it.

I am curious regarding the Crossle references: the 45F is included in the list, but only thru 1979. I used to have a 45F that was a 1981 model. Would be excluded? If so, why?

I appreciate the effort being made to identify a group of club cars that would be competitive with one another.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Dan,

Having teched a number of SCCA-legal CF cars, I can say with a great degree of certainty that the external-reservoir shock is not widely used in the northeast.

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Keep the input coming guys. I'm reading it every day and looking at what changes we need to make before we go final on the rules. Bear in mind that these rules, like most rules in racing, will evolve over time. So if we don't address every issue at the get go we may just need some time to get smarter or better understand it.

Dan, I think your proposed set of rules are right on target. I want to walk through the paddock of my first Monoposto race and step back into the past. See and smell the cars as I remember them from the glory years of Formula Ford racing. I hope a few cars are painted in the colors of the famous drivers of that mark. I look forward to seeing a Zink Z-10 in Weitzenhoff colors dicing with a Van Diemen RF 81 in Andretti colors. Except for safety issues the closer to orginal the better.

Liked: 353

So, who's going to resurect Seymour Chicken?

Originally posted by kgoertz:
    Dan, I think your proposed set of rules are right on target. I want to walk through the paddock of my first Monoposto race and step back into the past. See and smell the cars as I remember them from the glory years of Formula Ford racing. I hope a few cars are painted in the colors of the famous drivers of that mark. I look forward to seeing a Zink Z-10 in Weitzenhoff colors dicing with a Van Diemen RF 81 in Andretti colors. Except for safety issues the closer to orginal the better.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Dan, I think if you exclude all cars with external reservoir shocks, you will exclude 90% of SCCA club fords from entering a Monoposto event. I think you need to take a look at this issue before you get the hammer and chisel out!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Hi guys, I love the idea of seeing the ole GOJO car out there! Mikey in the Star-brite Lola and what was the name of the Bertils based chassis he also ran? I was crewing A-Prod cars and would watch the Ford races and shake my head! 8) The Gemini chassis should be included, Nine cars built in 1981. DIRECT copy of the PRS chassis with a front rad. Outboard both ft and rear suspension. Mk9 box. External shock reservoirs hmmm I'd be willing to slap the old Bilsteins on for these weekends. I think there are PLENTY of old shocks around and it sure does level the field against those who have spent $ testing and testing on triples. Jim

Contributing Member Bob Ramberg's Avatar

I'm not sure those with an aluminum head would want to keep a fully prepped (read expensive)second iron head on the shelf to run this series in addition to SCCA's. Also what flywheel weight is going to be specified? SCCA is now at 15.5# min.
    Bob Ramberg
    Z10C

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

I'm not sure the goal was to let all the SCCA club guys jump in the fray with their new-fangled shocks and heads and ignitions.

The vintage community has very different objectives from club racing. The cars need to be in the form they were in when new. Otherwise vintage racing is pointless.

I'm wearing my Nomex, so flame away.

tim

Hey Peter O,
    I already have MacInnes and Seymour appearing at the Lime Rock 35th Anniversary show on Memorial Day May 31st. Double edged sword, to get the chicken I had to take Bruce !!!!
    Now if the idea of FF's in their original livery is attractive, [be careful what you ask for.....] the the DelVecchio camo Crossle 50F/13th Valley car would be right up your alley. Oh wait, 50's are inboard at both end so we won't have to endure that particular sight for another decade or so.

Is Frank bringing the Tongue Puppets?

Originally posted by Mike Rand:
    Hey Peter O,
    I already have MacInnes and Seymour appearing at the Lime Rock 35th Anniversary show on Memorial Day May 31st. Double edged sword, to get the chicken I had to take Bruce !!!!
    Now if the idea of FF's in their original livery is attractive, [be careful what you ask for.....] the the DelVecchio camo Crossle 50F/13th Valley car would be right up your alley. Oh wait, 50's are inboard at both end so we won't have to endure that particular sight for another decade or so.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Peter,
    Not only does Frankie have a fresh supply of tongue puppets but he is threatening to rent/buy/borrow/steal a car to enter. Not sure if that's a plus or not.......

I trusted him. After all, he never hit me. I crashed on my own.

Originally posted by Mike Rand:
    Peter,
    Not only does Frankie have a fresh supply of tongue puppets but he is threatening to rent/buy/borrow/steal a car to enter. Not sure if that's a plus or not.......
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 18

Congrats Dan,
    I think you are doing a wonderful thin in researching the early FF rules and accomodating the input on what is wanted/ needed iin order to implement them. I have an 82 Van Diemen which is still classified as a FF because of the inboard shocks. The development change that really seems to seperate the club FF's from current FF is when the volkswagen bellhousing was replaced with a manufactured bellhousing, obviously drastically altering rear suspension and chassis design. I have great fun wherever I run and it makes little difference to me, however some may wish to include the 82 Van diemen chassis in Club FF. Have you had input on this from other sources?
    Best of luck,
    Alan

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Hey Dan........
    it is a very tuff job to please all racers, especially when you MUST draw the line somewhere. we own a club ford Gemini also, 1982 w/outboard shocks @ both ends.... in our case though, we have too many mods (shocks, clutch) and limited funds to change. (I state the above so you know where I am coming from) I understand from reading your rules that your intent is to create a class that is very close to what it was like running a FF in 1970. and, you are right, this would be very neat.
    but, if (I am stating "IF")you ever thought of car counts and wanted to include the rest of us club fords that will be on the outside looking in. you could create an open class.. thus, you would have a FF70 class as your rules stated above. and, a FF70/O Open class for racers who can not/will not change their cars. but are still considered Club Fords.
    it would cost you three extra trophies. and since FF in a lot of cases comes down to the driver, just think of the smiles on the face of an FF70 class driver who place higher than an open class car......
    just my opinion.... thanks for listening!
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Liked: 605

decisions decisions.....should i change out the SCCA alum. head, elec ignition, lighter fly engine as a unit for the engine with the iron head, points [leave the elec. box in the car just don't hook up any wires]and original fly and change back later....yup! Thank you Curtis Farley.

I try to stay out of political battles but here goes. Dan I simithize trying to come up with rules and car list to appisse all. To allow some 81 cars that are CF and not others is tough. To say you want preperation per 73 rules is even harder to keep all happy. There was a huge technilogical change in the late 70's. From the cigars to the strymliners. The Eagle, Gemini, and Viking are just a few. My feeling is in Vintage the cars are to be the show. On the West coast if Arnie Loyning wanted to show up in his Viking you wouldn't let him play. What a draw for a real FF afficianato. I left Vintage Ford to Race!!! The WING Nut in the seat makes the car fast. In the NE we are being hammered by a 80 Van Dieman by someone who REALLY can drive an open wheel car fast. Enough rambling and I say ther should be a case by case examination cause REMEMBER the cars are the stars not the drivers in Vintage.

Liked: 25

I think that Dave has it exactly right. As is said, "the cars are the stars" in vintage and we want to see history, all of it. Is it not "period correct" for an ADF or Viking to dominate the competition? For SCCA Club Ford, the various rules have been devised to try to equalize competition, not display history. I think it would be most appropriate for vintage groups to set eligibility for their Club Ford classes just by year, with 1981 being the most logical choice based upon precedent. Preparation rules are a difficult question, as some things are hard to change back. I don't like the expensive shocks, but I don't think even the vintage purists still are using period correct canister oil filters (I have one I would sell!).
    - Frank C

[size="1"][ March 02, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Frank C ][/size]

Geez guys,,,,,,,,Monoposto is good enough to allow some CF's to join the fun and all I read is sour grapes. The current historic Formula Fords are a unique and relatively period correct class. The aim is to preserve these cars and give them a place to race.

I don't think Monoposto sees it as a crossover class giving CF an additional place to race, but as an alternative place to race.

If you want to join them put your car back to fit their regulations. Otherwise quit bitching and stay where you are with SCCA.
    Like a roll of toilet paper,
    life goes faster as you near the end.

Dan,
    I hope you guys are looking into including the
    Merlyn Mk 30 (1977) in your list of cars. Noticed the list ran through the Mk 29 series. Very little difference between a Mk 30 and Mk 29, body mainly. Mk 30 was one of the last cars built by CRD and well under the guide lines of the year 1981. I have been taking the time lately to prep it for the FF70 series, hoping to race it in April.

Let us keep our ignition boxes. We will not be running with the pre-73 club fords or any of the ff festival events and it does not alter the appearance of the cars. I have noticed that several others have mentioned keeping the cars looking as they did in years past. I agree, looks is the key here. The ignition may well keep the FF70 club fords from getting smothered by a FA car. [img]tongue.gif[/img] As it looks now, we will be able to run what, a total of four races this year in FF70?

Liked: 605

Timos...."otherwise vintage racing is pointless"...ya shoulda bin on Sienfeld!...and to sort of include Bob Ramberg in the reply....yup, eye'd change out the engine/head/ignition/fly as a unit [what, doesn't everybody keep a spare engine in a crate?]...one's iron and 'pointy' and the other's alum'd and electronic and put together with the new fly rule.....so no sour grapes here, just some sweat [and beer!] from changing engines [but Pete Jones does make a very very very salient point - why da rules if we not going to run head to head with purists?] Unless you're a pro,isn't it about individual effort to just go your fastest, regardless of who else is on the track?

Liked: 42

"Monoposto is good enough to allow some CF's to join the fun and all I read is sour grapes."

I disagree, I see a discussion of people looking to add cars that may have been overlooked, and giving "opinions" on the rules. Assumedly thats what Dan was looking for, since he clearly stated this is a "draft" set of rules.

So, while we're all making suggestions to improve things, here goes:

FF70 should have a hard tire rule. CFF Most everywhere currently runs on a hard tire. Great bang for the buck, and levels the playing field for those without big tire budgets. Note, I did not say a "spec" tire.

I would recommend:
    Hoosier R60
    Goodyear 600
    and maybe the American Racer

Some regions run one, some run another, and some groups already allow all three.

Another benefit would be that the actually softer Vintage Dunlops would give the older cars a bit more of an advantage. That really might help change the opinions of some of the Vintage FF guys that don't like the idea of newer cars running around faster than them. Probably would increase the dicing between the Vintage FF's and the FF70's (CFF).

Eye might expect some disagreement, but if you're switching over the head and ignition, a set of used hard compound tires would be easy to change at the same time, and let you save your tire budget for racing w/ the other guys.

Some might say, "why should I have to buy a special tire to run vintage" but that's backwards, it's really, "why should most of the country that's already running a hard tire, have to buy soft tires to keep up at an occassional vintage event?" just because there is no hard tire rule like we run in our local group/region.

Dan, please consider the change.

Marc Blanc
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Marc:

I agree that having a hard tire rule would make it easier for guys running both SCCA and Formula 70 FF to attend more vintage events. To me, that makes sense.

With regard to your point that making the Club Fords a little slower compared to the Vintage Fords would be a good thing, I don't think the plan is to have the two classes (Vintage Ford and Club Ford) running in the same group. Formula 70 is always separate from Monoposto Classic in race groups. I think one reason Monoposto went with an open tire rule is to make Club Fords faster and thereby reduce the speed differential between Club Ford and Formula Atlantics and SuperVees in Formula 70.
    Craig Jones

Thanks for all the input. I broadened the eligible makes and models based upon input received here and from personal emails. Please bear in mind that the elgibility list will be continually evolving, so if your car wasn't on the first go round, send me an email and we can discuss it. The Monoposto BOD will finish it's vote on the rules package this week, so you will likely see the rules underwhich we will begin racing posted this weekend.

I appreciated the efforts of those of you who are familiar with the "spirit of vintage racing" to educate your fellow racers. To those whose principal racing venue is SCCA, you are going to find this to be somewhat different. We stress "cameraderie and competition" in that order. This is more about showing up with a well prepared and presented car, with a knowledge of it's history, that is true to it's competitive history, and that can compete safely. The culture is much more low key and self policing. We rely upon YOU to meet the regulations and to ensure that your on track behavior is consisitent with being a good vintage competitor. There is some car inspection (principally safety related by the race organizers)and limited post race inspections by Monoposto Racing officials and maybe the race organizer. But enforcement and technical inspections are much less than you are accustomed to seeing in SCCA racing.

The question of tires came up which I think probably deserves a few words. First, recognize that the plan is to have you race in the Monoposto FF70 group. This puts you with the wings and slicks cars like Atlantics, Super Vee's..... What tire you chose to run out of the inventory of slicks available is up to you. Some people mentioned hard versus soft compounds. It will be your choice. Tires will not be mandated other than you will be expected to run slick tires.

You should expect that the parts of the draft rules that prohibit aluminum heads and solid state ignition systems will stand. Also, external shock reservoirs will be prohibited. This goes back to that thing I mentioned earlier called the "vintage racing spirit". There is an expectation in vintage racing that drivers, not technology, are the principal determining factor in race performance. Thus, some of the more modern technology is not allowed. I know some racers want to straddle both SCCA and vintage racing. All I can say is get your car vintage legal (which we tried to make as broad as possible) and come try it. You may find that this style of racing is more to your liking. It is very social, very historically focused and the on track behavior is much more user friendly.

We look forward to seeing you at the track. We begin the season on April 1 at Roebling Road with SVRA. I will be there with my Super Vee, so stop by the Creek Boy Racing trailer and say hello. And plan to come to the Monoposto reception on Firday evening. We would like to meet you and welcome you to vintage racing.

Dan Schmutte
    Vice President
    Monoposto Racing

Dan...just so you know...we here in the Northwest (NorPac Division of SCCA) have been running Vintage grids along with Regional weekends for at least the last 12-14 years. We have done so without Monoposto Rules and classification. My Lola T-340 #10
    just misses the Monoposto cut-off date (no 300 series cars) I run Dunlops or Avons...that is one of our rules...no slick tires allowed..the reason being to keep cornering speeds down and stress on older suspensions. Last year, besides running our NorPac Series, I was able to gain enough points running National races that I qualified for the Runoffs.....on treaded tires!
    I'm not sure why Monoposto doesn't accept the T-340...maybe its the inboard rear brakes...is that an advantage....the inborad rear discs tend to heat up not being in the airstream. I'm still baffled by the Monoposto decision..unless they just had to draw the line someplace.
    Dan Mullin
    Vintage Chair
    Ore Region SCCA

Thread Information