Thread: race cameras.

Liked: 1

Default race cameras.

Hi All

Looking for your advice/experiences with the different type of cameras available on the market today and also how they are mounted for a good picture also have been reading a few peoples comments and will probably want to be able to attach a microphone to the camera so as to take away wind noise and what are your experiences of the different types of cameras when it comes to handling heavy rainfall as we do tend to get a lot of it here.

Thanks

Liked: 5

I currently use the Replay XD camera. It has some nice add-ons since you can get a remote car harness to both control and power the camera and an external microphone. The system is weather proof. Overall I have mixed feelings about it though. When it works it is great. I'm on my third camera under warranty though. This latest one has the new battery design which is supposed to fix the issues with the battery breaking down under high vibration. I do have a rolling shutter effect on my video but it appears to be an issue related to the mounting and high (15,000) RPM's that our engines run. Many others don't have any issue with the rolling shutter.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 52

Default camera

My brother and I have a contour and go pro. I would suggest a GoPro especially because they are coming out with a great new camera. The GoPro hero3 will be the camera to have once its released in November.

Ryan

Liked: 5

Is Go-Pro going to fix the issue with the mount's breaking off that many formula cars have had?
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

I would hope so... Since the owner of GoPro races an F1000 I would hope he is putting a lot of development into making the mounts stronger. The third GoPro has amazing capabilities which will hard to compete with. So I'm hoping the mounts are ten times better as well.

Liked: 111

If you just want video, ReplayXD.

If you want to learn from your video, the RaceKeeper system is very, very useful. I use both on the car.

I have had Chasecam and like it.

I can't emphasize how much I dislike GoPro. I have had three generations and hate them all, not to mention they are a brick in the wind.

If you have a AiM data system, SmartyCam is very cool as well.

jim

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

All the F1000 "pro" series competitors were given a GoPro Hero 2 at Mosport.

I was a bit skeptical because of all the talk about earlier models having issues, but I will say that this camera has been the most reliable and has produced the best picture of any that I have used. It's been great.

If the Hero3 is smaller, lighter and takes better images, then it will be hard to beat.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon View Post
    All the F1000 "pro" series competitors were given a GoPro Hero 2 at Mosport.

I was a bit skeptical because of all the talk about earlier models having issues, but I will say that this camera has been the most reliable and has produced the best picture of any that I have used. It's been great.

If the Hero3 is smaller, lighter and takes better images, then it will be hard to beat.
    I hear the Hero3 will only cost $10k, making it considerably cheaper than your Hero2.

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    I hear the Hero3 will only cost $10k, making it considerably cheaper than your Hero2.
    HAHAHA, for $400 dollars it is a very amazing price. The hero3 shoots 4k and 2k... Along with 1080p at 60fps!!!! Along with that you get built in WiFi and the normal items along with it. If you aren't looking for quality then go with which ever camera you like, but for the price it is amazing, a production level camera for the average consumer.

Liked: 99
    -Nick

Liked: 309

Default GoPro Hero3 White : $199...

To me, it looks like the "White Edition" will be more than enough :

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-white-edition

Smaller, lighter with built-in Wi-Fi.
    The HERO3: White Edition boasts the same high performance specs as the Original HD HERO camera it replaces, yet it has built-in Wi-Fi, new UI and is 30% smaller and 25% lighter. The HERO3: White Edition is wearable and gear mountable, waterproof to 197' (60m), and is capable of capturing 1080p 30 fps and 720p 60 fps video plus 5MP photos at a rate of 3 photos per second.
    I like the idea of "App Compatible" / WiFi control. Looks like you'll need a Micro SD card for the Hero3...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 1112

Default New GoPro Hero

I grabbed one of the last of the original models because the price came so far down on existing stock when they released the Hero2. It's really worked just fine in limited use so far, though I did add a little bit of tape in the mount grooves to reduce the pivoting problem. Lots of folks here have had success with various models as long as they were careful not to over-tighten the mounts. If I were shopping now I'd watch for great deals on the Hero2.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 107

go pro is outdated now - the best new thing is the sony action cam, better in every way, and cheaper. they are not spending all their money on marketing, spending it on better technology... imagine that!

if you want something "like a go pro" get the sony instead. its also "oriented" (bullet shaped) correctly

i know some folks testing these - and they are better, especially with image stabilization, and wifi. and rumors of some very trick race car stuff in the future - possibly...
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Liked: 309

Default Sony Action Cam Review...

Quote Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
    go pro is outdated now - the best new thing is the sony action cam, better in every way, and cheaper. they are not spending all their money on marketing, spending it on better technology... imagine that!

if you want something "like a go pro" get the sony instead. its also "oriented" (bullet shaped) correctly

i know some folks testing these - and they are better, especially with image stabilization, and wifi. and rumors of some very trick race car stuff in the future - possibly...
    Oct 18, 2012 GIZMODO Review of Sony Action Cam vs. Contour / Hero2 :

Sony Action Cam Review: Not as Awesome as We Hoped
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 1

Guys
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with race cams the replay is looking like a a good bet as I can connect a external mic to it and keep this out of the wind,It was interesting to read the review of the sony unit its a shocker to be honest they have let themselves down. I am a bit worried to hear and read the stories of mounting brackets breaking its something else I will have to look into before purchasing as it also seems to effect quality of picture with the vibrations feeding through into the camera.
    The replay camera are they built in the USA or CHINESE built ?

Keep them coming.

Thanks

Liked: 11

I've used the Chase Cam, Go Pro and a Contour.

The Chase Cam & Go Pro record in mpeg which can be uploaded to youtube without issue if thats important. All 3 have high quality video but the GP is a brick and mine broke off and tumbled down the track at 100+mph (still works).
    I use the Contour on my MX bike and have taken two hard falls directly on to the camera and it still works great.

The big pita for me in the formula car was turning on the cameras and knowing that were recording which is where the Chase Cam (with wired remote) was the best. However, its expensive.

The new GP has a wifi remote... I'm buying one.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 15

Default Camera types

hey guys any new thoughts on camera for formula cars

Liked: 146

I just used a GP 3 this weekend on my Formula Ford. Strapped the remote control onto my wrist, and was able to turn it on and off easily. No issue with battery, breakage, sound and image quality was great. I'll probably edit some today and post.

Indeed, the Go Pro was the most reliable thing all weekend. The weather was mostly crap, and the engine and driver were not much better.

The trick is to get the Black version that comes with the remote, and it already paired. Otherwise, you'll buy them separate, and it's a pain to get them to pair. The Australian Agent is useless, and Go Pro support is not much better. The only way I could get them to help was to drop into their office just outside San Francisco.

Here is one I shot in Canada last month. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqgpA7FtjGw Edited with Windows Live Movie Maker. Some hand held, and chest mounted. Temp was about -10C, and no issue with battery.

Liked: 530

word is that AIM is coming out with a newer HD version of the smartycam GP and possibly offering a lower cost version without the GPS or accels if you already have an AIM data logger and want to just add video without paying for redundant hardware.

unsure the timing of release..

Liked: 111

Default race cameras.

RePlayXD 720 for $150 is a serious deal

SmartyCam is awesome if you use Aim

Race-keeper is what everyone else should be doing for software. It is possibly more useful than a data system for making a driver faster but it isn't cheap.

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 15

thanks for the input guys
    who is the best to contact for the replay cameras

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    word is that AIM is coming out with a newer HD version of the smartycam GP and possibly offering a lower cost version without the GPS or accels if you already have an AIM data logger and want to just add video without paying for redundant hardware.

unsure the timing of release..
    AiM is doing an HD Smartycam. It's due out in about 3 weeks last I heard. It will be in both GP form and a new, smaller shape similar to a GoPro. It's a great unit.

I just saw ads for the Ion Camera. No idea if it's good or not. www.ioncamera.com

Liked: 146

Here's something I shot last weekend with a GoPro 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XpBViR5b0I

Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    AiM is doing an HD Smartycam. It's due out in about 3 weeks last I heard. It will be in both GP form and a new, smaller shape similar to a GoPro. It's a great unit.

I just saw ads for the Ion Camera. No idea if it's good or not. www.ioncamera.com
    I would wait to buy it until they shake it down. My first gen Smartycam was plagued with teething issues...
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by mike g. View Post
    I would wait to buy it until they shake it down. My first gen Smartycam was plagued with teething issues...
    This should be pretty solid when released. They did a bunch of testing at Sebring and it was very good. They have been tweaking a couple of things and then working on getting it released. I would not hesitate to buy the first one.

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default GoPro mount-failure victim.

I've had 2 GoPros. Neither worked, and when the mount failed [a fault they were aware of, but do not warn customers about] they said it was my responsibility to spot their design defect, and tether the camera [which has no tether point]. Needless to say, I feel I was shafted. I now have a contour roam, and in one weekend shot more video than in a year with Go Pro. The quality is as good as you could ask for, and I know when the thing is on, which was always a question with the GP. Price was better, and I can take it back to my local Best Buy, where it has a three year warranty [extra, but still, after the trouble with GP, I didn't hesitate.]
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 8

*update june*

So the contour works fine on the CFF, with its softer sprung-self..

It does NOT work well on the stiffer Piper FF. 1 in 3 success rate. For 1, it recorded files but they are unreadable.... oh well.

*update*

To add onto Jim's experience... old gopro 1, 2009ish, failed all the time... blamed batteries and vibration etc.. wouldnt take it back.

I have had a contour HD GPS for almost 2 years... a few quirks, but overall good video capture percentage and teh GPS is pretty sweet for post-race eval.

You have to play with the video quality settings if you have in-car vs rollbar mounts - exposure metering sucks... but I recently got the bluetooth and iphone app to see what I'm getting and adjust it via the app.. and its better..

See racing and flying videos here:
    http://contour.com/users/nekbet
    Last edited by mike g.; 06.17.13 at 10:33 AM. Reason: update
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 9

Default Drift HD

Had good luck with this so far. Smaller aero profile. Picture quality seems same as GP.

Bob Zecca has a good deal on them and great customer service. Wind noise not so good so adding a remote mic. Had it on my mtn bike helmet. Crashed headfirst and landed on it. It stills works fine.

Waterproof without buying anything extra. I like the clip in mounting system.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Thread Information