Thread: 1982 PRS

Liked: 8

Default PRS part

Gary
    PM sent
    Greg Kokolus

Liked: 10

Default 1979 prs rho1

Pic of my PRS purchased from Mike Scanlen after he drove it in the 40th, (was yellow at time) Car holds the CF track record at Homestead and 7/100 off Daytona track record. 2012 2013 2014 SARRC champion car, Car is in South Florida running the SARRC series with SCCA.

3. The following 10 users liked this post:

Liked: 15

Default 1982 prs

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    <snip>

I had thought about reverse engineering the upright as I'm told they also are no longer available. <snip>

I had one good one and one mashed up one. I ended up fabricating new ones from scratch. When I picked up the car someone had tried making replacements from VW parts. Wrong!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449546352.810023.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1449546418.139694.jpg
    Man will race anything. It's in his blood. His Soul. He must.

Kurtis C. Shirley MacLane FV (sold), Lola T644HU05 (sold), Murray FK1 FST (sold), Vector MG-95FF (sold), PRS 82F (sold), Lola T644HU02 (sold), Lola T340-HU110

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Klotz View Post
    Pic of my PRS purchased from Mike Scanlen after he drove it in the 40th, (was yellow at time) Car holds the CF track record at Homestead and 7/100 off Daytona track record. 2012 2013 2014 SARRC champion car, Car is in South Florida running the SARRC series with SCCA.
    Bill Slowik built that car in the mid 1980's. Bill was an excellent driver and fabricator. He was Fast and won a bunch of racers and championships in EMRA and RCCA in the North East for years.
    Bill tried Reverse Flow Cooling for a season on that car with mixed results. Also made unavailable parts for my PRS 82F when I ran it.

The one year and fourth months later update:

I have spent very little time working on the car over the last year. Space in the garage is at a premium. Damn airplane stuff in the way.(Anyone need a Midget mustang fuselage?...) Anyway, I was talked into bringing it out to the track last weekend to maybe work on between sessions. Nothing happened there but I did do some prepping to it just in case. Bought some 110 and topped off the water then when I got home with it instead of pushing it into the garage I thought it should go around the block a few times. Even doing that felt great.

Time to button it up. Going to pour a seat, put some new belts in it, make some setup bars, get a few odds and ends and get her done. Of course by then it will be 120 degrees out here but, it will be ready for the start of fall. Good times ahead.

Kurtis C. Shirley MacLane FV (sold), Lola T644HU05 (sold), Murray FK1 FST (sold), Vector MG-95FF (sold), PRS 82F (sold), Lola T644HU02 (sold), Lola T340-HU110

7. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 78

Default San Francisco Region PRS

The guy I crew for races a 1979 PRS RH02F. I've shared this thread with him and invited him to join the conversation. He's had his PRS a long time and has really developed and optimized it. Hopefully we'll see him posting here.

CornerSpeed
    crew for #27 PRS San Francisco Region SCCA

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Great to hear,Kurt, and it was nice to see you at the track.

Liked: 115

Default Jackson

Jackson's moniker was "Spin or Win". Sounds cool, but he overdid it from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift17 View Post
    from Jacksonville bought a car based upon the same type of meeting with the Holman's@ PBIR/WPB changing from his Crossle - watched him drive that and whew !! .... then he switched to a Reynard leading to his (and Reynard's only) FF National Championship [... sorry for the slight sideways]

Done. Gonna' either do a private test at Wilcox or a Pro-Auto day at Firebird ( it will always be Firebird to me...) next month.

(and yes, the little 87 has been replaced with a proper sized one.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1115

"Private test?" Noooo. I want to see that baby run, and the Main track has great places to watch.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 19

Looking marvelous,

Tim is right, bring it to "whateveryouwanttocallit" main.

Talk Mike into bringing the ADF and I promise not to drive withing 15' of either of you ... for the first session.

Regards ... Dave

p.s. Tim you need to be on the track too, with your cameras running .

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Yeah, Maindo. Lol. You can watch "Dave the Rave" strut around in his Championship jacket between sessions, even if it's 80 degrees out ! Lol, just kidding Dave. Congrats

Default PRS Racers

Hi everyone, I am new to your forum. Just wanted to let you know, I,m the Zimmerman from MIchigan with the 1983 PRS. It has been resting peacefully in a back corner of my workshop for 25 years. Two months ago got the bug to Vintage race the old girl. Overestimated the work and amount of things that needed to be updated ( or forgot I wasn,t 30 anymore ) so missed the first race. Am on track with the car but still need to get licensed. I have been reading through your posts, I never thought about not seeing another car like mine. Bill of sale I got with my car stated it is chassis #12. From the pictures of the 82 I am surprised how many things are different. I haven,t taken any pictures of the car yet, will post when I do, it is still the original yellow Gel Coat. Bob Zimmerman

19. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 123

Default Prs

Hi Bob,
    I purchased Kurt’s 82 and am in the process of doing a full restoration. The frame is now stripped, and heading for paint this week. I’d like to see some pics of yours, especially the dash.
    Cheers
    John
    480-250-4727

21. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 1115

Only John would think that beautiful car needed a full restoration. I expect it will be even more amazing before long.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

23. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 115

My RH-01 is becoming a nice vintage car. Ex-Rick Klotz.

25. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

Default Prs 82

Hi,

I have just purchased a PRS FF2000 SF82/83 car. I am looking for more information on the history of these cars, results and photos

It looks very Van Diemen RF81 ish but appears to be a PRS creation , uprights are stamped PRS and the pedals are similar to the PRS SF81 I have seen before . Thin tubes in the engine bay seem to be in keeping with other PRS models too.

Has anyone got any photos of any PRS FF2000 cars that I could compare chassis and features ??

Contributing Member
    Liked: 31

Default Was there an oil cooler on this car?

Trying to find out if there was an oil cooler on this car.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRS82F View Post

Done. Gonna' either do a private test at Wilcox or a Pro-Auto day at Firebird ( it will always be Firebird to me...) next month.

(and yes, the little 87 has been replaced with a proper sized one.)

Default 82F Oil Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by veeracer98 View Post
    Trying to find out if there was an oil cooler on this car.
    There was an Oil Cooler on the 82F. It was located on the right side upper frame rail behind the NACA Duct, across from the Oil Pump.
    It was mounted with the fittings facing down, and a plate that sat on the top with a couple of springs to hold it in place. This pic is from after I sold the car, but you can the bottom plate mounting pin across from the Oil Pressure Warning light sensor.

Any questions let me know.
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (178.8 KB, 193 views)

Contributing Member

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to fix a hot low oil pressure problem and want to eliminate all other possibilities before pulling the motor which was re-built by the previous owner and getting it re-built again. Maybe an oil cooler would only delay the low pressure for a few laps. Not sure Don't have a oil temp gauge but maybe I could hook one up to diagnose. The other thing I could do is replace the oil pump but that is a $750 gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Gallagher View Post
    There was an Oil Cooler on the 82F. It was located on the right side upper frame rail behind the NACA Duct, across from the Oil Pump.
    It was mounted with the fittings facing down, and a plate that sat on the top with a couple of springs to hold it in place. This pic is from after I sold the car, but you can the bottom plate mounting pin across from the Oil Pressure Warning light sensor.

Any questions let me know.

Default 82F Oil Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by veeracer98 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm trying to fix a hot low oil pressure problem and want to eliminate all other possibilities before pulling the motor which was re-built by the previous owner and getting it re-built again. Maybe an oil cooler would only delay the low pressure for a few laps. Not sure Don't have a oil temp gauge but maybe I could hook one up to diagnose. The other thing I could do is replace the oil pump but that is a $750 gamble.
    I ditched the Oil Cooler after a few races due to vibration issues that led to cracks @ the cooler fittings.
    Always had good Oil Pressure, even in 100 Degree, Humid days, at Bryar and Summit Point in the summer.
    Mobil 1 FTW!

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Gallagher View Post
    I ditched the Oil Cooler after a few races due to vibration issues that led to cracks @ the cooler fittings.
    Always had good Oil Pressure, even in 100 Degree, Humid days, at Bryar and Summit Point in the summer.
    Mobil 1 FTW!
    Thanks for the info Sean, if you ran w/o an oil cooler I dont think thats the problem in somewhat chilly michigan.

Contributing Member

Kurt,

Can you pm me again, my inbox was full.

Dave

Liked: 0

Default Prs 82f

DSCF3875 (2).JPGimg158 (2).jpgBill Zimmerle and myself bought your car in 1984 from Sandy Dells in Vista California. At the time, it was complete but had been crashed at the RF corner, nose and radiator. We brought it back to Prescott AZ thinking what a deal we got on a 2 year old car. It came without any information but I knew it was the car that Alex Cross had tried to make work. We had no idea what we were in for.... After rebuilding from the ground up and fixing the damage we set about trying to make it work. It had come with a box of springs and shocks so we started out with the 600 lb springs in the rear and the 350 lb in the front, did and alignment and headed out to Holtville on Thanksgiving weekend. I won't elaborate on how awful Holtville is (was) suffice to say, I never went back, but I found out enough to know we were waaaaay off on spring rates! In addition, a piece of concrete kicked up by another car tore off the right side mirror (could have been my head), then 2 laps from the end the steering arm broke off of the left hand upright! Anyway, enough about Holtville! The next time out we had figured out that the geometry of the front rockers was wrong and they weren't long enough. Now we knew that the 600 lb spring went in the front and the 300lb in the rear. At PIR it felt much improved but still with bad understeer on entry and snap oversteer on exit. Not exactly confidence inspiring. We had the rear bar set full soft but it worked better with it disconnected. We did pretty well with it in regionals and got a 4th place at a national in Carlsbad Ca. once but it was the most knife edge , unpredictable car I'd ever driven. Compared to my old Brabham BT29 and a Crossle 32 it was downright awful. Finally sold it to Jay Nolte in Scottsdale and he was the one who wanted the Valvoline paint scheme, I guess he had some kind of a small sponsorship deal, I don't know. Anyway , the first time out for him in that car was at Eloy and he crashed it. That's as much of the story as I know.img144A.jpgDSCF1224A (2).jpg
    Last edited by John Blizzard; 07.18.23 at 7:25 PM.

Liked: 123

Default Prs

I did a frame up on the car a few years ago, and a gentleman in the midwest purchased it. I spoke with Sean Gallager, who loved his 82f, who advised me on new spring rates, which I installed prior to the sale. As far as I know, the buyer still has the car, and found a friend in the area with another 82f. Thanks for the history!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Blizzard View Post
    DSCF3875 (2).JPGimg158 (2).jpgBill Zimmerle and myself bought your car in 1984 from Sandy Dells in Vista California. At the time, it was complete but had been crashed at the RF corner, nose and radiator. We brought it back to Prescott AZ thinking what a deal we got on a 2 year old car. It came without any information but I knew it was the car that Alex Cross had tried to make work. We had no idea what we were in for.... After rebuilding from the ground up and fixing the damage we set about trying to make it work. It had come with a box of springs and shocks so we started out with the 600 lb springs in the rear and the 350 lb in the front, did and alignment and headed out to Holtville on Thanksgiving weekend. I won't elaborate on how awful Holtville is (was) suffice to say, I never went back, but I found out enough to know we were waaaaay off on spring rates! In addition, a piece of concrete kicked up by another car tore off the right side mirror (could have been my head), then 2 laps from the end the steering arm broke off of the left hand upright! Anyway, enough about Holtville! The next time out we had figured out that the geometry of the front rockers was wrong and they weren't long enough. Now we knew that the 600 lb spring went in the front and the 300lb in the rear. At PIR it felt much improved but still with bad understeer on entry and snap oversteer on exit. Not exactly confidence inspiring. We had the rear bar set full soft but it worked better with it disconnected. We did pretty well with it in regionals and got a 4th place at a national in Carlsbad Ca. once but it was the most knife edge , unpredictable car I'd ever driven. Compared to my old Brabham BT29 and a Crossle 32 it was downright awful. Finally sold it to Jay Nolte in Scottsdale and he was the one who wanted the Valvoline paint scheme, I guess he had some kind of a small sponsorship deal, I don't know. Anyway , the first time out for him in that car was at Eloy and he crashed it. That's as much of the story as I know.img144A.jpgDSCF1224A (2).jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information