Banned
    Liked: 2

Default Formula 3's Cockpit Comfort

Some people may think that Formula 3 cars are too small, too uncomfortable, too small for them to drive competitively, or that a person of large stature cannot fit into the cockpit in one of these cars.

This would be a factor for any potential car buyer when they are out looking to purchase their next formula car. So I recently used my own Dallara F305/07 as a case study to take measurements and pictures of a Vortex Racing employee sitting inside the cockpit of my car, (photos are below).

These measurements were taken with only the extractor seat installed, not a custom poured foam seat. By measuring out the cockpit as an empty shell, this gives you its general dimensions, and then from there your own overall space depends upon how thin or how thick you pour, cut and form your custom foam seat.

Here are the following measurements in inches:

15.50 - Width of Bottom of Seat (Flat Section)
    20.50 - Length of Bottom of Seat (Flat Section)

21.00 - Height of Cockpit at Driver's Elbows
    20.63 - Width of Cockpit at Driver's Shoulders
    20.50 - Width of Cockpit at Driver's Elbows
    13.50 - Width of Cockpit at Driver's Steering Wheel
    14.00 - Width of Padded Seat Cowl Opening

11.00 - Width of Footbox Entry
    13.38 - Height of Footbox Entry
    22.50 - Length of Footbox from Knees to Pedals

29.00 - Length from Seat Tailbone to Headrest Center-Point
    43.00 - Length from Seat Tailbone to Pedals (Straight Leg)
    46.00 - Length from Seat Tailbone to Pedals (Bent Knees)

36.00 - Length of Cockpit Diagonally
    35.50 - Length of Cockpit Opening
    33.00 - Length from Back of Seat to Steering Wheel
    72.00 - Length from Pedals to Center of Headrest (Straight Leg)
    75.00 - Length from Pedals to Center of Headrest (Bent Knees)

The person used in this demonstration is 5' 11" in height, weighs 175 lbs. and had plenty of room within' the cockpit. There was 4 inches on each side of his waist to the cockpit's inside wall. I myself am 5' 10" weight 190 lbs. and fit very comfortably inside the car.

There is a total of 75" inches of longitudinal space for a person of 6' 3" to sit in a driver's prone position with bent knees 46" inches from their tailbone to the pedal assembly. This 75" inches reaches to the center of the headrest and doesn't exceed the regulation safety line from the rollbar to the top of tub where the driver's knees would be.
    Last edited by Canadian Formula 3 Championship; 02.05.13 at 2:29 AM.

Banned

Default Additonal Pictures...

I think that if you are a large person you would be quite surprised that you could fit into one of these cars quite comfortably.

Liked: 0

Default f3 cockpit...

i have fortunate enough to be able to sit in one of the f3 cars that we used to have back in the philippines and i have to say that the cockpit itself is roomy (even for a first timer) i am a 5'6, 150lbs. person, and it still leaves plenty of legroom to the heel-toe downshifting (once you set up the pedals for your liking, it might reveal more room)...

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Helmet surround

Could you please detail how the cockpit/helmet surround is secured into the tub? Thanks, Eric

Banned

2 studs in the back of the headrest go into holes in the removable cowling with 2 locking clips at the front, (1 on each side) for quick release.

Any chance of some photos? Thanks

Banned

photos of the car or just the headrest?

The tub and the headrest with paticular interest in the mounting studs and quick release. We are updating an atlantic tub and would like to see how Dallara did it.

Thanks!

Eric

Banned

Default Dallara headrest...

well, even though Atlantics are Formula 3's equivalent rivals, I'll still help out a fellow Apexer Although I won't be back at the car's location for atleast a week or so to take those pictures, but when I do, I'll shoot some off and post em'

You are a gentleman! I support your cause 100 percent! Thanks Eric

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by quartzracer View Post
    You are a gentleman! I support your cause 100 percent! Thanks Eric
    Support my cause by buying a Formula 3 car and come racing with us then!

Must have forgotten about the photos. When you gat a chance would still love to see them. Thanks Eric

Banned

Eric...no I haven't forgotten about the photos. I had to meet a potential buyer for the car 2 weeks ago and started the car up for him. I was going to use this occasion to do some HD filming and photography so I lugged my DSLR, shotgun microphone, and tripod to our facility Vortex, but I never had the opportunity to even open up my camera bag! I dragged all that equipment there for nothing. Anyways, I will have a 2nd chance within' the next week or so as I have a few other meetings scheduled, and I'll just bring the DSLR to make it easy, so you will get some images soon.

Cool>>>Thank You Eric

Thread Information