Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Brandon Newey Onboard Footage

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the onboard footage from Brandon Newey's car which can be found at www.f1600series.com. Amazing stuff!!

Ray

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Yeah, it's great. We watched it in the shop last weekend and immediately had to watch it again.

Liked: 14

great stuff. I realise I come from a different point of view then many but the harmless wheel banging and passing with wheels in the grass just flat gets me excited. To me thats open wheel racing at its best. I can do without the getting punted off on the last lap though.

Even with the 31mm restrictor I still am very much impressed with FF1600's running 13's at the Point. Never thougt I would see that.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 996

Exciting racing that is for sure. Lots of "lane drift"... it is quite surprising someone did not end up on their head with as much interlocking of wheels as went on.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Yeah, it's all fun and games until someone gets a stick in the eye, as my folks used to say to me....
    I agree with Kevin, but sometimes the kids think it is all a giant video game.
    Well, guess what guys ?
    When it all goes wrong there isn't a reset button....
    This very race led to my calling a "come to daddy" meeting Sunday morning for four young drivers.
    It was made crystal clear that dangerous lane changes, intentional blocking and really absirdly low percentage moves would not be tolerated.
    No furled black, no second chance.
    One strike and you are out, get into the paddock and put it on the trailer.
    I was very pleased with all of their deportment onSunday, during a very wet and treacherous race.
    All the staff and any observer who knew what they were looking at back in July when these four plus one other simply mesmerized everyone for 18 laps at Mid Ohio.
    The singular most intense and exciting motor race I have watched in my 45 seasons.
    Lap after lap all 5 came around, changing positions multiple times per lap between the 5 of them.
    Absolutely restored faith in their abilities as racers.
    So, it can be done.
    All it really needs is respect for your competitor and respect for what you personally are undertaking.
    It ain't chess.......

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Yeah, it's all fun and games until someone gets a stick in the eye, as my folks used to say to me....
    Well, guess what guys ?
    This very race led to my calling a "come to daddy" meeting Sunday morning for four young drivers.
    It was made crystal clear that dangerous lane changes, intentional blocking and really absirdly low percentage moves would not be tolerated.
    I was very pleased with all of their deportment onSunday, during a very wet and treacherous race.
    All the staff and any observer who knew what they were looking at back in July when these four plus one other simply mesmerized everyone for 18 laps at Mid Ohio.
    The singular most intense and exciting motor race I have watched in my 45 seasons.
    Lap after lap all 5 came around, changing positions multiple times per lap between the 5 of them.
    So, it can be done.
    All it really needs is respect for your competitor and respect for what you personally are undertaking.
    It ain't chess.......
    After watching that Mike, I am surprised that some "little league" moms and dads weren't out there telling their sons to be as ruthless as possible on the track.Surely lucky that no one appeared to get hurt!!
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 10.02.12 at 9:13 PM. Reason: fix quote

Liked: 127

Very exciting video. The #9 car really had no regard for anyone racing around him though from the clips shown there.
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 996

Default Kudos

This is exactly why Mike's series thrives. No bull**** given or taken; no committees; one person with a level head and lots of front line experience making the call. This isn't Nintendo or I-racing someone can get hurt; some just don't quite understand that yet. None the less these guys are talented!

John

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I was just thinking either #9 has been on his head a ton in karts and never got hurt....or he's never been on his head.

There's cajones, and then there's I'm invincible, it's Dad's money and I don't have to work on Monday

Liked: 956

Well, guess what guys ?
    So, it can be done.
    It ain't chess.......
    Well said. Thank you.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 232

It ain't chess.......

.. It can be done!

That is why a Series with an vastly experienced, knowledgeable, benevolent dictator/administrator/racer who has been there, understands the sport yet the viability and meaning of a measured but stern no-nonsense enforcement/response(s) leads to overall and continued success (... and just maybe the health of the competitors).

Kudos Mike !!!

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Looks to me that during the rain race, after being warned in the morning according to above, the same antics continued on. Just my opinion based on what I see on the video.
    Steve Bamford

Classifieds Super License Brands's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Well this will probably get me in trouble but all I could see was some good old fashioned Formula Ford action in a world of over officiated racing. This kind of racing happened every weekend back home, we just didn't have on board cameras for couch racers to study ad nauseum.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post
    Well this will probably get me in trouble but all I could see was some good old fashioned Formula Ford action in a world of over officiated racing. This kind of racing happened every weekend back home, we just didn't have on board cameras for couch racers to study ad nauseum.
    That's why those old crash videos like "and they walked away" were 50% British FF crashes.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 757

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    That's why those old crash videos like "and they walked away" were 50% British FF crashes.
    Ha ha, yes! The key being 'walked away!'

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

you're right Ben. it's definitely ye olde English style FF racing. smells like youthful exuberance with a hint of "somebody else is writing the check". it's fun to watch but less so if your checkbook gets caught up in the middle of it. there's no shortage of balls and talent there, but certainly some questionable car placement (judgement). in the end it's always a fine line with many interpretations. being the boss in that situation is difficult and i'm glad it's not me having to set the limits. most of us don't need limits set by others. that's a job generally reserved for our lack of, or diminishing talent

Agreed! What I do find interesting is that no one seems concerned by the '60's style safety at Summit Point.. I like it personally but it's all well and good others criticizing driving standards but accepting unguarded trees and earth banks protected by stacked tires.
    Last edited by Brands; 10.03.12 at 9:36 PM.

Liked: 111

minus the punt, good aggressive racing. Exciting stuff.

Liked: 956

"Well this will probably get me in trouble but all I could see was some good old fashioned Formula Ford action in a world of over officiated racing. This kind of racing happened every weekend back home, we just didn't have on board cameras for couch racers to study ad nauseum. - Brands"

Ben,

No issue with you at all. Its just hard to improve by watching the race from the E-truck station.

I was on the receiving end of a punt by an over aggressive driver in a different class, as he tried to make up for a lousy start. It ended my second race of the weekend before I completed a lap. The "punter" went airborne, just missing my roll bar, almost going on his head. He did not finish either race that weekend due to contact. Two drivers blew two double yellow flags, one of them twice. The entire race was not one to be proud of from our run group.

Its bad enough the mistakes cost you a weekend, its even worse when one is pushed off intentionally, same class or not. We are instructed to allow "racing room".

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 187

Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post
    Agreed! What I do find interesting is that no one seems concerned by the '60's style safety at Summit Point.. I like it personally but it's all well and good others criticizing driving standards but accepting unguarded trees and earth banks protected by stacked tires.
    I completely agree. I love the track but I remind myself every time I race there that it is easily the most dangerous track that I go to and there are several places where an "off" is going to hurt.

Liked: 99

Default Brandon Newey

I remember having many races with Craig Taylor back in the late 80's where our wheels were inside of each others many times a lap and we never crashed each other.This is Formula Ford racing and what it is all about.Great car control and knowing your perimeters.Good job Brandon.

My son and I watched the video and laughed the entire time cause we see this kind of racing EVERY weekend. This agressive style of racing is alive and well just not something seen for a while in the US. Brands should be able to tell you that passing at Brands Hatch is pretty much taking your life in yours and the other guys hands. These kinds of experiences are something the Team USA guys get to experience first hand every year. We spent the day with Matt Brabham at Silverstone for a practice yesterday and he was surprised at how agressive guys are at a practice. I have to say it did look like there was a race going on, the Fortec guys were in full race mode the entire day. My parting words were that he will have to endure all kinds of interesting driving techniques. My favorite one is, "dad's footing the bill so no need to worry about what might happen." This is what we always referred to as "NAFOD" for no apparent fear of death.

Grumpy

Liked: 7

Default .

Last edited by Rick Kean; 10.05.12 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Apparently I'd fallen off my meds

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyf14d View Post
    My son and I watched the video and laughed the entire time cause we see this kind of racing EVERY weekend. This agressive style of racing is alive and well just not something seen for a while in the US.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuphg4QvuQ

So is _this_ the sort of 'aggressive' racing you enjoy? This was our last-ever open-wheel race, life is just to precious to entrust it with this kind of red-mist carelessness.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 481

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hull View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuphg4QvuQ

So is _this_ the sort of 'aggressive' racing you enjoy? This was our last-ever open-wheel race, life is just to precious to entrust it with this kind of red-mist carelessness.
    If the person has a history of doing this, that would be one thing, but one incident doesn't make a reason to leave racing - heck, I would have been out the first year - not 34 later!

ChrisZ

Liked: 111

I certainly been hit and have hit like this before. I don't enjoy it but has happened to me twice in the last three years.

Not to defend but I see a car that bottomed over a curb And caught the driver of guard. I don't see anything resembling aggressive in that video. I think everyone left more than a generous amount of room in that section.

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    Not to defend but I see a car that bottomed over a curb And caught the driver of guard. I don't see anything resembling aggressive in that video. I think everyone left more than a generous amount of room in that section.

Agreed. Not aggressive. Just stupid. BTDT, fortunately with less consequences.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 42

Really? This is racing. Competition. These things happen. A very minor incident, and no reason to quit!

Liked: 96

At 1:26, how did the #9 not get launched?!
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Beartrax View Post
    At 1:26, how did the #9 not get launched?!
    I was wondering the same thing, very lucky!

I am all for aggressive driving, but I think that there is no place for interlocked wheels in open wheel racing. Australia and England have the right idea with large sidepods to prevent deep interlocking.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

wild guess: cold tires not providing enough friction to allow tire to climb vertically up Newey's tire.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

Interesting interpretations of teamwork
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Ben, i agree with you completely in that from our, and his, perspective it was a relatively minor thing. The issue was that his mother happened to be standing right there watching and she had a different point of view

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Funny how the moms are always around when things go bad...

My mother never came to go kart races, but the one that she did come to, a kart launched over my back and landed on top of me.

That didn't go over too well

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

You should have seen my Moms face after the ambulance dropped me off in pit lane after rolling my DB4 in Montreal back in 1996. I guess the multi replays on the jumbotron was a little much for her!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

it's funny how that happens. mine came to one race....ever. about 15 years in she decided to come, mostly because it was relatively close....not because of the large number of local antique shops. i hadn't damaged a car in quite some time and i got squeezed into a guardrail by a backmarker that I, and another car, sandwiched while lapping. needless to say.......

mike, i gave you a 9.9 on that roll. it would have been a perfect 10 if the bottoms of your sidepods matched colors.

Default My moms first race

My Moms first race was at MO at a late regional after a busy National Year. Leading the race Id came up on traffic at 8. I took the apex and did not track out... He moved left to get out of my way...up I went. 3 corners gone but no head time. They made me get in the squad because I tripped and fell while hopping over the guardrail. Mom was not happy but she was impressed how by buds (Bruce May and Smoke) loaded my car while Ol Doc Mills checked me out at medical. The only worse look I got than looking at my Moms face from the window of the squad was the one my wife (still) had when I got home and opened the trailer door.

Mom never went to another race.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 481

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kolthoff View Post
    My Moms first race was at MO at a late regional after a busy National Year. Leading the race Id came up on traffic at 8. I took the apex and did not track out... He moved left to get out of my way...up I went. 3 corners gone but no head time. They made me get in the squad because I tripped and fell while hopping over the guardrail. Mom was not happy but she was impressed how by buds (Bruce May and Smoke) loaded my car while Ol Doc Mills checked me out at medical. The only worse look I got than looking at my Moms face from the window of the squad was the one my wife (still) had when I got home and opened the trailer door.

Mom never went to another race.
    I was doing an Endurance Karting event at Lime Rock with my 2 sons. My wife was there and in my first stint and they had to stop the race because a driver got hit so hard he was thrown from the kart and laying in the middle of the track. To my wife's credit she did not take the boys and go home right then.

Another time at Lime Rock, I lost a front spindle and crashed hard in West Bend. I was knocked out for a second, but when I came to I jumped out of the car and waived at the workers because I did not want them to roll the ambulance, my wife and kids watching from the esses. She does not come to many races - she does not share my love of racing, but I would not trade her for the world. She has been the calming influence when things go wrong.

My mom is 85 and I am sad that Bridgehampton is gone as I am sure she would love to come and watch me race.

Chris Z

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

1971, wet race morning warmups, FB [pre atlantic, twincam powered] March 712, turn 12, lose it and back it in hard under the old starter stand, knocked out for a bit, quack shack and a bus ride to Gainesvill Hospital. After radiology and neck brace time to go, but how ?
    Well, there are both my parents. Mom went to a lot of races Dad hated them, they both took Milltowns I think was the name of the med.
    It seems they had arrived at the circuit as the ambulance was about to leave and asked someone, maybe Delvecchio, where I was, he says "follow that ambulance and you'll find him". The bus gets lost on the ride to the hospital, took around 45 minutes to get there !
    All she said was....and I had been racing for 4 years already, was..."OK, so NOW are you gonna stop this foolishness ?". Apparently not Ma, still at it 41 years on, getting a replacement knee for the one broken at West Bend Lime Rock in 1993 next month, times as to allow racing in the late spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information