Liked: 8

Default Gibb Gibson, The Man, The Myth, The legend

For those of you interested, Kautz Racing has asked Gibb Gibson to support us at this years running of the Midwest Council 50 lap, Looong Race, held October 20th and 21st, at Blackhawk Farm Raceway.

For the few of you in the know, Gibson was unable to attend the Runoffs this year, an event he has never missed. We want to close out the year with a show of gratitude for all this "unsung hero” has done for us, I mean “ALL OF US”. Personally, all of our races (6 years worth) including our 2010 runoffs win and this most recent 2012 win have Gibby’s finger prints all over them.

It will be October and it may be raining/snowing BUT it will be about Gibson and all he has done for all of us and for Formula racing.

Bring your car, have some fun, share some stories. The Formula classes run in a “wings and things” kind of grouping/format with the practice and race on Saturday, see the Midwest Council link below.

Kautz Racing is working with John and Jackie Taylor on this event. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Contacts

Midwest Council
    http://www.mcscc.org/events.php
    Two Dogg
    John Taylor 815-262-0099
    Jackie Taylor 815-988-9016
    Kautz Racing
    Tim Kautz 630-337-3774
    Paul Descoteaux 630-549-5182

Liked: 3787

A legend.

Not only did he bring the most fantastic DB1 to the FF40th... He tells Rand to put him on the agenda at the banquet. Then he shows up with plaques to award to his FF Hall of Famers.

He runs with a rough crowd. Janice has pictures of him riding on the back of at least 5 different team toters over the last few years.

And... Gib does smile, just impossible to ever catch it with a camera.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 02.25.13 at 10:52 AM.

Liked: 7

Default Guy in the Dark Blue Shirt

Mike,

I can't read his Name; who 'dat?

Thanks,

Rick Kean

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Not sure if serious, but Sandy Shamlian @ QS.

Liked: 7

Default I'm seriously...

out of it!

Thanks

Rick

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Tim,
    find me a car and i will be there. Anything for the gibster.
    He is a myth to those who have not worked with him and a legend to those that have.
    I remember the first time I met him, heading to the grid at a Sebring winternational, he stopped me, leaned into the car and said, "you really like this new car, dont you." It was the start of a very rewarding relationship for me.

John

Liked: 218

Just remember, the first beer that evening will be "the best beer I've ever had!"
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 43

Gibby is a Legend. There is not a single person that I have known in racing, since the early 80's, that compares to his knowledge and work ethic. He even has some great stories to share when you can get him to relax with a beer. I have laughed to tears with some of them.

Liked: 3787

I knew there was a picture of Gibby smiling. After rolling through a few thousand pictures... back in 2010... riding on KHill's cart...with entertainment immediately in front of him.

And, he was about to smile for Jim Morgan back in 2010.

The trademark shorts with scared legs hanging out.

And he will get real dressed up if he knows he is the star of a video.

His "Work of Art" parked in front of its offspring.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 02.25.13 at 10:52 AM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Frog,

It had to be good Gibby and me almost smiling driver looked pretty happy too.

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Quote Originally Posted by jim morgan View Post
    Frog,

It had to be good Gibby and me almost smiling driver looked pretty happy too.
    I have seen that look and finger point before, I bet he is busting on cole and probably for good reason. Can't argue with grandpa.

Liked: 0

Default Smiling

I found some good shots of big smiles maybe even a belly laugh at a Runoffs at MO. He was next to us with Justin. I also have some good shots from the 40th. Man how cool of event was that. I will try to post this weekend once I re teach myself the posting pictures drill.
    Those of you know my wife Lori will understand that when I told her of this event she said we ARE going screw the car. Gib is the best. I shudder that he and Joe S. took care of her a day and a half before I could get to the sprints. She asks? " why cannot you be so nice on a race weekend?" Oh she loved the Certs eating Goats.
    Should be there in Oct

mike

Liked: 42

Default The Looooong Race

If you're considering going to this event, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs runs a great traditional event called
    The Looong Race, and this is the 42 Annual Running of this event.

It is 50 laps at Blackhawk Farms,(100miles) which is an extremely Loooong Race in a F car. It's a great event, and worthwhile, but especially so, with Gibby going to be there.

I've run this event lots of times, and there are several different ways to approach it.

Some cars have a big enough tank, or add an additional fuel supply to be able to run the entire thing, non-stop.

Some drivers stop for quick fueling, and continue.

Some cars are run with 'co-drivers', and stop for fuel, and switch drivers
    (lower cost in sups for 2nd driver)

I've even heard of pulling in a pair of cars, and swapping drivers of both cars!

The infamous Pete Wood once started DFL from pit lane (avoiding the pace lap)
    short shifted, and ran low revs in tall gears, and ended up w/ plenty of fuel in a Crossle without stopping.
    (Hmmmm...,what if you put in a really small restrictor in a Honda?)

I know of a fast S2 that just ran it hard, but ran out of fuel on last lap, but was quick enough and far enough ahead to finish P2 overall.

or, you could even just use it as an hour long test session, coming in and out of pits after making changes or whatever. Pretty sure thats not a winning strategy though.

If stopping, expect to get beat that lap by the Schindlebecks, many years of practicing a driver change with those guys, and they are in and out FAST

Some additional info:

Rules, follow SCCA FF and FC almost exactly,
    CFF almost exactly to CenDiv with hard tire rules, though might bump some weight penalties for whizzy remote reservoir shocks and the like.
    And classes for most anything else Formula or Sports racers.
    They also run a full contingent of door car classes, in case you're bringing a friend with a Miata.

TECH: They almost always honor an SCCA Annual Tech

Licensing: per the sups,
    [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Race Entry & Registration[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]3.1.1. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Races are open to drivers holding a valid current MCSCC, SCCA [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Pro, National, or Regional. -NO [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Novice Permits[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial], [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]WHRRI, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]BMWCCA(full), EMRA, CASC, PCA(full), NASA(full), SVRA, or [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]VMC racing license. Competitors must be 18 years of age or older.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Vintage/Historic groups are additionally open to drivers holding [/FONT][FONT=Arial]valid current VSCDA, SCCA Vintage, HSR or other recognized [/FONT][FONT=Arial]license.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]3.1.2. 16 and 17 year olds may compete only if they hold a Midwestern [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Council Minor Probation License and conform to all procedures [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]required of that license.[/FONT][/FONT]

There is NO mandatory stop. There is NO timeout. If you do stop, it's live, and under the clock. -If you have an additional fuel supply, be sure to take it to tech for approval.

If you have kids, there is Trick0rTreating Saturday at the corner stations, and a great BigWheel Race on Sunday noon

Usually a good party Sat nite.

Event flyer/supps./registration form:
    http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=12915

Entry List: (you'll need a 'myautoevents.com' login)
    http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...92409891663432

GCR here:
    http://www.mcscc.org/gcr.php

more info, including schedule:

That Loooong Race #42

Chicagoland Sports Car ClubChicagoland Sports Car Club presents the 42nd running of Chicagoland's Loooong Race, the final event in the 2012 Midwestern Council Championship series.

Back by Popular Demand... It’s our 42nd Annual running of Chicagoland's Loooong Race.

Join us October 20 & 21 at Blackhawk Farms for an end of season celebration of everything that’s special about Fall, Friends and Midwestern Council Sports Car Racing! The Race Group schedule has changed form last year's, so please review the entry form or information posted below.

Crew and Guests receive Free Admission on both days!

Saturday, October 20th, 2012
    • Group 1: FF, CFF, FA, CFC, FC, S2000, CS2000, ASR, CSR, DSR, CFI

Group 2: ITA, ITB, ITC, ITD, SSA, SSB, SSC
    • Group 3: GT1, GT2, GT3, ASR, DP, EP, SP, GTSC, SSGT, ITGT, AGS, ST1
    SATURDAY Schedule

7:00 am – 5:00pm Registration at track

7:00 -11:00 am, 2-5pm Tech Inspection open
    • 8:00 am Race Staff Meetings
    • 8:00 am Drivers Meeting S/F Line*
    • 8:30 am – 8:50 am Gr 1 Practice
    • 9:00 am – 9:20 am Gr 2 Practice
    • 9:30 am – 9:50 am Gr 3 Practice
    • 10:00 am – 10:30 am Gr 1 Qualifying
    • 10:40 am – 11:10 am Gr 2 Qualifying
    • 11:20 am – 11:50 am Gr 3 Qualifying
    • 11:50 am – 1:10 pm Lunch & Trick or Treat
    • 1:10 pm – 2:25 pm Gr 1 Race
    • 2:35 pm – 3:50 pm Gr 2 Race
    • 4:00 pm – 5:15 pm Gr 3 Race
    • 5:20 pm – 5:50 pm Race Staff Rides (Weather and daylight permitting)
    • 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm Pizza and Rerfeshments
    Sunday, October 21st, 2012

Group 4: Vintage Historic
    • Group 5: ITS, FP, GP, HP, GT4, GT5, VWS, SM, ST2
    • Group 6: SREN, SRF, FV, F440, F500
    SUNDAY Schedule 7:00 am – 1:00 pm Registration open
    • 7:00 am – 10:00 am Tech Inspection open
    • 8:00 am Race Staff Meetings
    • 8:00 am Drivers Meeting S/F Line*
    • 8:30 am – 8:50 am Gr 4 Practice
    • 9:00 am – 9:20 am Gr 5 Practice
    • 9:30 am – 9:50 am Gr 6 Practice
    • 10:00 am – 10:30 am Gr 4 Qualifying
    • 10:40 am – 11:10 am Gr 5 Qualifying
    • 11:20 am – 11:50 pm Gr 6 Qualifying
    • 11:50 pm – 1:10 pm Lunch & Big Wheel Race
    • 1:10 pm - 1:50 pm Gr 4 Race 1
    • 2:00 pm - 3:15 pm Gr 5 Race
    • 3:25 pm - 4:40 pm Gr 6 Race
    • 4:50 pm - 5:30 pm Gr 4 Race 2
    Find the complete Midwestern Council schedule and GCR at

Event Location: Blackhawk Farms Raceway
    15538 Prairie Road
    South Beloit
    IL 61080

Driving Directions[SIZE=2]BFR is about 15 miles north of Rockford, IL, near the WI state line. For map and directions see http://www.blackhawkfarms.com

Registration Opens09-Sep-2012 10:00 PM ESTOnline Registration Closes17-Oct-2012 9:00 PM ESTOnline RegistrationRegister Online Now! - View Entry ListOfficials and ContactsTitleNameEmail AddressPhoneEvent
    RegistrationJay Bussejaybusse@att.net

CSCC Club TreasurerLarry Bestljbest@foxvalley.net

CSCC PresidentMichael Schindlbeckmk6c@aol.com

Timing & ScoringBill Martintimingscoring@mcscc.org

MC PresidentChuck Cassaropresident@mcscc.org

Last edited by mblanc; 10.04.12 at 2:56 PM.
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 35

Strange - Just about every time I talked to Gib over all the years he was smiling. Many, many memories! Can't make the race (car is apart) but give me best to the legend. TF

Liked: 8

Default We have terrific news from Hoosier!!

We have terrific news!!

Any Formula F Driver participating in the Mid West Council's Long Race this Saturday, will be entered into a drawing for a full set (4) of Hoosier Race Tires for your Formula F.

Gibb Gibson has been a huge supporter of Hoosier Race Tire's for many years. He has worked with Hoosier in their testing programs and with Hoosier factory staff to develop and assist in the creation of the excellent racing tires that we all enjoy running on.

Hoosier heard Gibby was attending and gave us a call with this gracious offer honoring Gib Gibson's work within the Formula Car Community . You don’t have to win, place or show, just enter your Formula F with Mid West Council and you will be entered to win.

When was the last time you raced and someone offered you a substantial prize? Well....Hoosier just has!

Keep Gibby close...and good things happen!

Thanks
    Kautz Racing
    www.kautzracing.com

Liked: 76

I raced with Gibby when he had a FV and ran MWCSCC events a few(time does fly) years back Great to see he will be back to his roots in racing.
    butch deer

Liked: 64

Good luck to everyone this weekend! wish I could be there. Gibby is one of those guys that keeps us all racing. He has helped me so many times over the years. Great guy!
    Safety Fast!
    Wes

Liked: 0

Default Thank You

[FONT=Verdana]I am very grateful to be the recipient of the (4) Hoosier Tires that were given away in the drawing.

A big thank you to Hoosier Tires for this gift.

Although I have never had the opportunity to meet Gibb Gibson, Bruce Lindstrand of Lindstrand Motorsports Inc. has told me that he and Gibby had many stories together.

In honor to Gibb Gibson, I will do my best to use the new tires to their maximum on my 1978 Tiga CFF.

Once again, thank you to everyone associated with this event.

Bob Flemming
    [/FONT]

Thread Information