Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ARRC

Liked: 52

Quote Originally Posted by JEREMY HILL View Post
    [quote As for Tim P., Jeremy Hill's Mosport, Canada incident comes to mind. The inside sidewall of the LF GY tire was pretty disturbing.
    tell us more about this tire issue[/QUOTE]

Third heat cycle, starting pressure of 13lbs. JP spun and I was in 3rd 14 seconds ahead on lap 17 of 20. LF went severely out of balance and I could see it out of round. It got worse on the right turns so I backed off and limped it the final 3 laps. JP passed me, costing me the podium.

It had a severe bubble about 4 inches wide. GY dismounted and I could see a 4 inch sawtooth separation of the threads on the inside of the tire. GY states that the minimum starting pressure is 15lbs. Steve Petrescu said that he asked Jon Lewis to notify all F1KCS teams of the minimum, but I never received the memo. I ran 8 races at less than the minimum and only now experienced this issue. Steve also said that GY will be changing the construction of the tire to account for it, but did not commit to a date.
    Tim Pierce - #81
    2018 JDR F-1000
    www.area81racing.com

Liked: 84

I spun the car 3 times before I finally lost my 2nd place position

Yeah, I know, you were blazing fast. But a position is a position and a podium is a podium. I thought I drove a good race and it was a disheartening finish. I have much room for improvement and I'm sure you are as unsatisfied as I am. It was great meeting you this weekend and I look forward to seeing you at RRR and VIR next year. Let the good times roll!
    Tim Pierce - #81
    2018 JDR F-1000
    www.area81racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zcurves View Post
    Yeah, I know, you were blazing fast. But a position is a position and a podium is a podium. I thought I drove a good race and it was a disheartening finish. I have much room for improvement and I'm sure you are as unsatisfied as I am. It was great meeting you this weekend and I look forward to seeing you at RRR and VIR next year. Let the good times roll!
    Only messing with you! You should have had that podium. I screwed up big time and you drove a great solid race. That's racing! I had a great time with you and Richard.
    Smells like a rematch to me

Liked: 80

tim, steve tried to tell us our 5 tire failures at mosport was underinflation even after they checked the pressures with their own gauges and saw 19 lbs hot, the sidewall construction is garbage, you can almost poke your finger through it between the tread and the sidewall get yourself some hooisers, they are faster as well, best regards, jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I hate that you suffered the brunt of all this. I'm just glad I didn't end up in a wall like you did, or worse. I really hope GY comes up with something better. In my opinion, we need both GY and Hoosier to do well. Competition breeds excellence and keeps the price in check. We were on Hoosiers last year and are very familiar with both brands. I'm very appreciative to the GY guys for their support, especially beyond the demise of the F1KCS.
    Tim Pierce - #81
    2018 JDR F-1000
    www.area81racing.com

Liked: 601

Default ARRC

Jeremy,
    I don't know which tire GY has you run, but it reminds me of the problem they had in the later S-Vee years.
    A little history.
    The Pro series (really only one tire brand run at the time) had a number of cars go into the wall at the Phoenix oval, due to issues with the front tires (6" & 8" wheels). GY fix for the next year(s) was to change the tire design from the standard 2-ply tire used (same then as F/Ford) to a 4-ply construction front tire. Then shortly there after, SCCA changed the rules for wider rims (8's & 10's). It sound like your cornering loads are having a similar effect as back in the S-Vee days.
    By the way, back then, GY first told the competitors that their pressures were too low and thus the problem.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

I ran a hard 20 minute session on 2 heat cycle Hoosiers. When I came in and checked the hot pressures I realized that we had massive air leak in my front wheels (wheels not properly sealed). They were down to 9 and 10lbs. The tires came off the wheels and looked perfect. Why would the GY's have that issue even if they were under inflated? Seems like the Hoosiers are also better made?

Liked: 59

JP did you get any gopro footage? Youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by billwald View Post
    JP did you get any gopro footage? Youtube?
    Nope, my memory card took a dump that weekend. I think that is the 2 or 3 one that the gopro destroyed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information