Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Runoffs!

Liked: 49

Default 2012 Runoffs!

Sheesh, no runoffs thread yet? What's up with that?

I missed the live timing yesterday, but from the results, it looks like people were being pretty conservative. What's the weather looking like at RA?

For the guys that are at the track, hope everyone has a great week and please keep us updated. I'm halfway across the globe but doing my best to be at a place with free Wi-Fi for the on track sessions

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

You've obviously never driven the track if you think 42s and 43s are conservative
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

But those are hardly fast times either. It was a decent day here yesterday in the afternoon, but I don't know what time they ran. I see a couple of fast guys that are running at least 2 seconds off the times they usually run, so I would expect to see the times drop if the conditions are OK. But it's not going to be very nice between now and Sunday. Rain forecast for tomorrow.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

The session was black flag after 2-3 laps, then resumed with 2-3 more laps of track time. Most people just did not get a clear track to turn in a good time.

Brian
    Last edited by Hardingfv32; 09.21.12 at 1:38 PM.

Contributing Member

Varacins: 2:41.112 in Q2. That is fast on any day and all is back to normal.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

I did not mean to imply I'd be running any faster - just that the times weren't all that close to what I'm used to seeing. The black flag situation makes sense

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 93

I think 2:41:112 is either below or very close to the track record. I think he turned that time by him self also. Pretty impressive.
    Scott

Liked: 190

Default Lay off the pipe dude

Tiago,

The Cen-Div website lists the Road America FV track record at 2:41.988 (as of 9/2/2012)

http://www.cendiv-scca.org/03racing/...ckrecords.html

Based on that info, I'd say Mike is flying at 2:41.112 (flying to mean not conservative).
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 09.21.12 at 9:30 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member

The Runoffs qualifying lap record was 2:41.316 (Varacins 2010). The race lap record is 2:41.435 (Neumeister, 2011).
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 174

Matt,

You live in Wisc...so what's the weather forecast for Sunday?

Mark

Sunny. High of 58 Low of 36. Should be perfect weather for air cooled motors !!
    Scott

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Formula Cars View Post
    Sunny. High of 58 Low of 36. Should be perfect weather for air cooled motors !!
    You left off the 15-20 mph wind from your calculation. That usually does not help lap times.

Is that the kind of weather you want to tow 2-4 days for, spend 4-5 days in, and at a cost of a minimum $2-3000?

Brian

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    You left off the 15-20 mph wind from your calculation. That usually does not help lap times.

Is that the kind of weather you want to tow 2-4 days for, spend 4-5 days in, and at a cost of a minimum $2-3000?

Brian
    For us in the NE that is a beautiful fall weather. The NARRC Runnoffs just finished - looks like Colin Lawrence won (why they had it on the weekend as the National Runoffs.....) Here is it around 67 degrees and dry. Just about perfect.

Looks like the race tomorrow will be around 55 degrees and sunny - should keep the engines and tires cool.

Today looks like the same temp and rain....but it looks dry right now.

Chris Z
    Last edited by FVRacer21; 09.22.12 at 12:13 PM. Reason: real weather

Contributing Member

1) And 14 mph winds!!! Granted in the car it is no big deal, but you are only on the track once a day for 30-45 minutes. That leaves a lot on time to be very cold.

2) What is the difference if the NARRC is scheduled on top of the Runoffs? How many NE regional participants actually ever leave your small geographic area?

Brian

Brian
    I must admit that I am a bit jealous watching my fellow FV competitors from the west coast competing at the runoffs, however, so far in two qualifying sessions they have a total of 15 laps. So if everything goes perfectly today and tomorrow they will get 20 more laps. Wow..... a total of 35 laps and who knows how much $$$ and time are involved. I Just cant justify that kind of expense. I wish SCCA could come up with a better program that could add more value to the event for us on the west coast.
    Last edited by Diamond Level Motorsports; 09.22.12 at 6:32 PM.
    Scott

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    1) And 14 mph winds!!! Granted in the car it is no big deal, but you are only on the track once a day for 30-45 minutes. That leaves a lot on time to be very cold.

2) What is the difference if the NARRC is scheduled on top of the Runoffs? How many NE regional participants actually ever leave your small geographic area?

Brian
    (1) Are you lobbying for Southern California to hold the Runoffs?

With this new proposed National Program fro next year, why not move the Runoffs to the middle of the summer? Lots of sports do not follow a calendar year.

(2) Don't forget the workers - wonder how many were there today? With the complaints about the aging worker population in the NE, why force them make a choice? They look forward to our "Super Bowl" also.

ChrisZ

Contributing Member

Varacins and Seibenaler got back down into the low 41s and a few more were in the 42s, so the weather up there must be a lot better than it is here, 40 minutes south of the track.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

According to my sources there is no shortage of workers for the runoffs. Probably doesn't matter where the race is held, they will show up.
    Scott

Contributing Member

Go Andy!

Good luck to everyone - have a fast safe race!

Chris Z

Liked: 72

This event is a true gathering of the clan, including the volunteers. While a bit brisk for a Cali guy, the weather has been pretty nice.

While the lap count might seem a bit low, don't forget we're going around 4 miles a lap. Yea, a course of 2.5 to 3 miles would be better.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 5

Default I would like to see a runoffs?

I am just a regional driver who happens to have a national lic. I would like to go to the runoffs to work, or watch. But I can't if I am running the last race of the year,at LRP. Also some of the workers had to make a choice to go help at the runoffs at RA, or finish the season with us local drivers. I think that is the reason for the previous Post about having the 2 races the same weekend. At least it is for me. Pete Cheney FV#06 We had a calif driver at Limerock this weekend He is traveling around with his club ford going to all the tracks in the country to try them. I wish I had the money to do that what a great thing to do God Speed to him.

Contributing Member

Great race. Congrats to Mike Varacins.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Tiago,

The Cen-Div website lists the Road America FV track record at 2:41.988 (as of 9/2/2012)

http://www.cendiv-scca.org/03racing/...ckrecords.html

Based on that info, I'd say Mike is flying at 2:41.112 (flying to mean not conservative).
    Bill, I made that post after Q1, where barely anyone was in the 2:43s..

Liked: 1

Congrats to Mike and his dad for another well deserved championship. These guys work hard and smart on every aspect of their program and it shows.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Crash?

I didn't get to see the race and heard that there was a crash on the front straight. What happened?

Ray

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDS View Post
    Congrats to Mike and his dad for another well deserved championship. These guys work hard and smart on every aspect of their program and it shows.
    A shout out to Roger (and his guys) who is always right there - you wonder what would happen if these two guys went at it year after year - would it be heads/tails etc.

Does anyone have the story on Rick Shields? How about Charles Hern?

Chris Z

Liked: 72

I did not see the incident but it happened on the restart and envolved at least Charlie Hearn and Lisa Noble. Charlie ended up on his head with the rest of the field bearing down. Fortunately, no injuries. Rick had a failure on his rear suspension in 6 and had to be lift towed home. Don't know if something broke or got broken.

After the final restart, the front 4 really hooked up and drove away from the field lowering their lap times every lap with all four eventually running 2:41's. One lap while going from 4th to 1st, Chris Jennerjhan set a new record at 2:40938. Just shows what can happen when drivers cooperate. Once they left the field behind, the chess game started. The victory and 3rd & 4th were decided by inches. All four really enjoyed their race and were shaking hands and laughing in Victory Circle.

Whether you spectate or compete, this race should be on your bucket list. Only a very few can win and it's the best vee racing anywhere.

If it's easy, it's probably not worth doing, congrats to all this year's competitors.
    Last edited by budawe; 09.24.12 at 2:39 PM. Reason: added words
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

What was the cause of the lap 1 incident going into turn one? I spoke with
    Rick Ruckman who was running around 23rd at the time and he said it happened
    far enough in front of him that he couldn't determine the cause, but received a
    bent front beam after getting hit from behind just prior etc.....?

Thanks!

Mark

P.S: Congrats to Mike, Roger, Gary and Chris for an enjoyable race!

Liked: 114

Default FV Start T1 Photos

Had some time on my hands since our SR group raced on SAT, so I went down to T1, outside to take some images of the Vee race. Thank heavens for 7-8 fps autoburst

https://picasaweb.google.com/1155365...CL3Y5s3Bjqq8aw#

Pepperbowe:

Nice photo's!

Thanks!

Mark

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Wow!

What a gaggle of cars!! Great pics!!

Ray

Liked: 69

Default Worth the money!!

Whether you spectate or compete, this race should be on your bucket list. Only a very few can win and it's the best vee racing anywhere.
    I agree with this quote 100%. This was my first time to Road America and first time to the runoffs. I had a blast!!! It was great meeting all the vee drivers from everywhere.

Looking forward to one day maybe getting to be a part of this race.

Kim Madrid
    FV1 291

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Kim291 View Post
    This was my first time to Road America and first time to the runoffs. I had a blast!!! It was great meeting all the vee drivers from everywhere.

Looking forward to one day maybe getting to be a part of this race.

Kim Madrid
    FV1 291
    Seeing how Chris put his vintage FV up for sale I'd guess he feels the same and "one day maybe" might be sooner than you think.

Yes, Chris and I both are leaning towards the modern vees and running with SCCA. The difference is I am just going to try and keep my Caldwell (to attached to it) so I can do both. We have to close and awesome races in our group. Thats something every racer wants. At any track we race at it can be myself, Bob Hatle, Chris Quinteros or Eric Inkrott taking the checkered flag. The wins are by hundreds of a second. Very exciting.
    If I/we, Rudy and I do sell one of our vees then we are leaning at selling the Zink being that it is a true vintage vee and it is very fast and has been a front runner vee. That way the market is larger. We will see.

Kim Madrid
    FV1 291

Kim,

Who said a D-13 is a Vintage Vee? There was a white one on the grid last Sunday
    at RA and being a former owner of two D-13's, I was rooting them on!!

Mark

92' Protoform P-1

Yeah I know there was a Caldwell out there. I was there with him. That was Terran Swanson from SFR. It was their first runoffs and all of our first time to Road America. I ran with him and his dad a few times for the past few years. My Caldwell is vintage though. I still have the small manifold and heavier connecting rods, trailing arms, etc. I can modify it though. That would be pretty cool seeing my hot pink/black (lol) Caldwell out there running.

BTW: Brian McCarthy says the colors of my vee reminds him of Good N Plenty!

Kim Madrid
    FV1 291

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Kim291 View Post
    BTW: Brian McCarthy says the colors of my vee reminds him of Good N Plenty!
    Pepto-Bismol is what it reminds me of and exactly what I need when looking at what you've done to that thing

It reminds me of Donna Mae Mims who was the first female SCCA champion
    (in pink), and later worked the grids at Nelson Ledges and Beaverun always
    wearing something pink! She passed away a few years ago, but not before
    having an article written about her in Vintage Motorsports magazine.

Mark

Liked: 111

Mims was awesome. I miss her on the grid.

Liked: 388

I just wanted to say thank you to all those who sent their congratulations. It's been a long year of hard work that paid off, but there are many, many, many people who helped along the way.

Although it was a fun race, I was dissapointed with the schedule as it seemed like I didn't get a chance to socialize and catch up with a lot of the people I usually hang out with at the runoffs. I'm curious to see what happens for next year.

Congrats to Gary for his awsome 3rd place finish - Gary and Chris were right there the whole race and everything was nice and clean...It allowed for a fun and "relaxing" race, as there weren't any close calls or anxious moments.

Michael Varacins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information