Liked: 0

Default Tranny oil question...

What tranny oil are people using?

Mike
    fv #21

Liked: 50

The full range. 75/90, 75/140. 80/140. MTL, etc. Red Line, Mobile One, Royal Purple, etc. Some even use auto trans fluid.

We run RedLine 75/90 with no problems. It provides more rear wheel HP for the first several laps. We use it on the FST cars which have 100 lbs of torque (far more than an FV)

From a reliabilty standpoint any good 75+ synthetic, will work fine. From a HP standpoint anything rated at 75 or below is better. You do not need or want a "shockproof" oil in a Vee.

BTW, do not fill per the VW instructions. (to the bottom of the filler hole.) Fill to one inch BELOW the hole. Use your finger or a bent piece of metal to test the level. Anything more than that and you will blow some out and waste HP. You will get plenty of lubrication all though the case at 1.5G's . The OEM thought you would be driving in town at under .5 G.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 610

Default Tranny oil

I sell a fair amount of Redline 75W85 for my local F/vee custiomers
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 94

There was a pretty informative discussion about this on the Formulavee.org site not long ago.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    You do not need or want a "shockproof" oil in a Vee.
    Please expand on this thought.

Brian

A shock proof leaves a heavier layer of oil on the gear surface. (STP like indexer of sorts with "microscopic particles"). With less than 100 lbs of torque, NON-straight cut gears, no hole shots, and stock clutches it is not called for in FV. Especially when it will drop a BIT of HP.

Actually even RedLine refers to it as a "compromise". A little more drag, but better protection.

If you are pulling stumps with a 150+ lb torquer, you might want it.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

I know that the Shookproof has excellent cohesion/adhesion (cling?). Very apparent when you take the gearbox apart. Oil still on the walls after sitting for over a year. I wonder why this cling would increase drag? Do you think the actual viscosity of the clinging oil film is thicker than that of the rest of the oil supply?

Brian

I would suspect so. Also the "micro-particles" probably increase the pressures at the gears to "squeeze" them out. STP, (which was bascially indexer) had the same properties. ie. Oil clung to surfaces but would increase drag in some applications.

Sometime on the chassis dyno it would be interesting to see if we can actually see any power loss. It is quite apparent with different grades so it MIGHT show up.

You get the best HP with no gear oil. But only for a few laps...
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post

You get the best HP with no gear oil. But only for a few laps...
    That's why I've been working on a button actuated tranny oil dump, for that extra last lap push!

Tiago,

Serves 2 purposes; Increases your HP and greatly reduces the wheel HP of thsoe behind you..
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Liked: 174

Tiago,

Oil dump ala Sir James Bond !

Mark

Liked: 5

Default Soooo Funny

You guys are a Hoot!!! I guess we will need rocket launchers to to take out the guys ahead. LOL I see nothing in the rules about taking out the competition with a rocket launcher. Hee Hee Pete Cheney fv#06

Thread Information