Liked: 42

Default NO to multiple Engine Builders for FM

As many of you have already received a letter from the SCCA Competition board or may have seen in CRB Meeting Minutes , asking to voice your opinion regarding the wellbeing of Formula Mazda. I want to officially give you our position here at Formula Mazda, as the Manufacturer. I would like to preface the following statements with the fact that Formula Mazda has been my full time job and passion for 15 years. I want to openly express my opinion not only regarding the recent survey of the question about multiple engine builders, but also explain what the over-all picture of Formula Mazda is and has been from its conception.

Formula Mazda has always been a ‘Spec’ class. In fact it was one of the first formula classes to adopt this idea for creating equality between equipment, and thus cost containment. Sometimes it is a very fine line that is walked between equality and cost, and when in doubt equality always wins out. I am faced with these decision everyday, and have come to realize “That “cheaper” is not always better, if it is not also equal”. Along the lines of cost containment in a ‘spec’ class, is keeping the amount of changes or “updates” to a minimum. This ensures that a competitor does not need to go spend money on the “latest and greatest” thing to remain legal or competitive. I believe this is a large contributor to the success of the Formula Mazda class.

Here is a little bit of my history and my involvement with the Formula Mazda, for those that are unaware. As a young go-kart racer looking to move my driving career into cars, I started by working as a mechanic for a competitor, on his Formula Mazda. Soon after, I took a position with Star Race Cars, building Formula Mazdas at the factory, which parlayed into driving Formula Mazdas competitively for several years. As my driving career moved me from Formula Mazda into other forms of racing, I became a team owner, a Formula Mazda prep shop, and an official dealer for Formula Mazda. In the few years before purchasing the rights and responsibilities of the Formula Mazda, I had even begun manufacturing parts for Star Race Cars. In 2009, I purchased the rights and responsibilities to the Formula Mazda, making me the official Manufacturer, and have dedicated every day since then to the wellbeing of the Formula Mazda, its ‘spec’ class in SCCA, and to you the drivers.

The reason I am giving my history, is that I feel as though I have a well-rounded view of this racecar, having seen it from so many different perspectives. Thus, I am able to make very educated decisions for the class’ Dealers, Prep Shops, and Competitors alike in regards to its well-being and longevity.

The three questions asked to the members and competitors, was brought to my attention by the SCCA Formula Car Advisory Board a little over a week ago. My opinions and reasoning is as follows.
    1. Should FM remain a sealed, spec engine class?
    Absolutely! This Class was formulated in the Eighties as a spec class, which included using a spec engine, and a single spec engine builder. This was not only to ensure that there were no illegal engines, but also to make certain that each engine was within a narrow window of horse power and torque. By ensuring that all engines are within a set window, by a single engine builder, there has never been the need to flirt with trying to find that last little bit of power that usually results in an engine not lasting as long, or being as reliable.

2. If so, should alternate engine builders be included as official suppliers of spec engines?
    I do not see the need or want for additional engine builders. The current engine builder (Drummond Engines) for Formula Mazda has been able to keep up and deliver the demand that Formula Mazda requires. Furthermore, the current engine builder has a history with these specifications and build technique required to keep all engines for the Formula Mazda equal and reliable.
    The problem that has happened over and over from class to class, when opened up to multiple engine builders, is that costs slowly go up, and the equality window in regards to performance opens up. This is not the designed or desired specification for Formula Mazda.
    The majority of parts and components have been specified for Formula Mazda for one of two reasons, if not both, cost and equality. If we take one of the major components (Engine) and remove the true “spec” nature of the class, we will lose what this class is and has been for the past 25 years. This class is so strong because of its numbers, not only the number of competitors, but the number of years those competitors have chosen Formula Mazda as their place to race.

3. If FM should not remain a sealed engine class, what engine specifications would the class embrace for the future?
    It is no secret that parts are becoming harder and harder to come by for the current spec engine. Myself and Drummond Engines have started planning and prototyping a replacement Spec Mazda Rotary engine for Formula Mazda. Without prematurely disclosing any details of the project, the goal is to have an engine that meets the current horsepower, and torque window that the current spec engine produces with the same or better equality, reliability and drivability.

I personally ask everyone that has a vested interest in Formula Mazda to Rally together for the well-being of the class. Trust in me, to make the very best decisions in representing you and the Formula Mazda to whomever or whichever organization threatens the integrity of our class.
    As many of you know my door is always open to concerns, ideas, opinions, and suggestions. Your feedback is always a major consideration in the decisions I make for Formula Mazda.

Please express the need for a single engine builder in Formula Mazda.

Moses Smith
    moses@mosessmith.com
    FORMULA MAZDA Manufacturer
    9016 Performance Ct.
    Cresson, TX 76035

As with the last issue we also ask that you submit a formal letter to the CRB through this link http://www.crbscca.com/index.php stating your objection to the proposal of multiple engine builders. Please email a copy of this letter and transmittal number to moses@mosessmith.com so that we will have a record of the letters as we petition SCCA and represent you. Your information will not be shared.
    Please also at the very least post your transmittal number and statement, if not your entire letter on this Apexspeed forum thread

Liked: 5

As it says in the good book, or some book, when Moses speaks, you should listen. Letter to CRB to follow. Thanks again MSR.

Liked: 9

Default Amen and good night.

Mo, I can't imagine how anyone who's been in this class more than a year could think otherwise.

As it says in the good book, or some book, when Moses speaks, you should listen....
    John, you bastard, you stole my one-liner. I'm going to put you in the weeds next year.........with a new Drummond motor.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 0

Default hail moses!!

Just for the record, why has the issue come up? Someone somewhere must be unhappy or it would not have come to the attention of the SCCA board? Problems with Drummond (I have heard a few anecdotes). Someone else trying to get in the engine building business? Some drivers want to eliminate the spec nature of our class?? Whats the other side of this issue?
    DrV
    PS obviously I will yield to Moses experienced advice, he understands this better than anyone, and I will write my letter in support, but Im just trying to get the whole picture

Liked: 0

Default Engine rules

I'm not typically one to respond or comment through these types of forums but I have seen this class decline in car counts. The reason I started running a FM is to have an equal playing field. Anyone who has been doing this for anytime knows what can be done to these engines and it will only drive cost up. Although no one likes to get beat but if you do it should be on the drivers ability, not how much horsepower they have. I hope SCCA takes notice and things remain the same. I urge everyone to respond to SCCA as well. And a "Thanks" to Moses for taking a lead on this.

Steve Brown

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default One engine builder only

I sent my letter into Scca One engine builder only They tryed this years ago and the second engine builder was so fast The Scca wanted the engine and he refused to give it to them They then stopped trying for a second engine and now they are at it again. One engine builder only on the same dyno every time

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by dvanhooser View Post
    Just for the record, why has the issue come up? Someone somewhere must be unhappy or it would not have come to the attention of the SCCA board? Problems with Drummond (I have heard a few anecdotes). Someone else trying to get in the engine building business? Some drivers want to eliminate the spec nature of our class?? Whats the other side of this issue?
    DrV
    PS obviously I will yield to Moses experienced advice, he understands this better than anyone, and I will write my letter in support, but Im just trying to get the whole picture
    I haven't ever had any major problems with Drummond, and that's with five different engines between four cars (IIRC). Really, my only issue is that I wish Daryl would move to Atlanta. I'm guessing either somebody's balking about the price increase, and thinks this will save money (it won't, in the long run), or somebody with an engine shop is lobbying to increase their revenue stream in tough times.

My letter (tracking# 9212):

I'm writing to say "no" to having multiple engines in FM. It may seem tempting to let market economics decide the pricing of engines, but I have yet to see any class where multiple engine builders has actually saved money at the front of the field.
    It's what around $7k for an engine now including shipping? It sounds like a lot, but I've seen people run up front with 3 year old engines (Daryl Wills won the Triple Crown with an engine that was at least that old). By contrast, the Wreck Miata guys shell out $8k for engines that might last half a season.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Liked: 22

Default 4 port renisis?

So i see in the 2018 scca gcr the 4 port renesis is listed as an optional engine using a msr part numbered swap kit/header etc. And a restrictor plate. So when is this stuff becoming available? How is sealing engines going to happen? Can a used engine be mailed simply to be checked over and sealed?

Liked: 12

Engines to be sealed go to Daryl Drummond Engines. If you need a complete engine with all but oil lines and carb, I have mine at Texas Autosports for sale.

Liked: 22

I'm just curious about how the renesis rx8 engine swap is going to be handled. Is the swap kit listed in the scca gcr required? A stock 4 port renesis is only about $1k so 1/5th a rebuild on on our current 13b. It's fuel injected, more reliable, and more fuel efficient. If its a matter of just sending a stock ren engine to drummond to have seals installed for what i hope is a small fee swapping over is going to be quite easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mstephenson51 View Post
    Engines to be sealed go to Daryl Drummond Engines. If you need a complete engine with all but oil lines and carb, I have mine at Texas Autosports for sale.

Thread Information