Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 5

Default Formula Vee 50th Celebration

Dear drivers and friends of Formula Vee,

The United States Formula Vee racing community will celebrate its 50th birthday at Savannah’s Roebling Road Raceway April 5-7, 2013. With the support of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA), this race will follow the “Festival” format during which hundreds of racers and their families will enjoy this racing milestone and the historic Brundage Cup. Held every five years, the event draws drivers and cars from around the globe as well as the “Who’s-Who” of Formula Vee racing. It will feature six race groups covering the spectrum of current and vintage Vee, Formula First, and Super Vees.
    For additional details of the Formula Vee 50th Festival: www.formulaveeracing.org/fv50th

Liked: 190

Default Registration is open!

For those making the trek to the 50th, registration is now open.

Here is the link:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...B927CB2BA1F08A
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Default New car intro at the 50th?

Here is a bump for the 50th registration.

Looks like about 90 cars so far with almost 40 vintage and almost 50 current cars.

Noticed that Steve Oseth has entered in a brand new 2013 Citation Vendetta FV. Any insider comments on this car?
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 03.10.13 at 5:55 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 49

I have been waiting for the new Citation car with anticipation Can't wait to see what they've done!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    I have been waiting for the new Citation car with anticipation Can't wait to see what they've done!
    Tiago,

At 21 years in the making, you won't be the only one waiting to see the end result.
    Bill Bonow

Default Over 100 entries and growing

Still time to enter, the deadline is April 2.

102 entries at this point, 42 monoposto vintage, 56 current era and 4 misc (non-monoposto and FST).

Should make for a great event.

Another event note:

Aaron "Butch" Deer will be attending and driving his 50 year old 1963 Formcar Mk 1. He is the only driver to have driven every year in FV for the past 50 years! Butch has owned the Formcar he will be driving for 32 years and other than the Nardi, will most likely be the only car in attendance and driven at every FV Birthday Party (20th, 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th, 45th and 50th).

Bill Bonow

Liked: 200

I will be making the trip from north of the border for the birthday party. I have been thinking about running one session on the Friday test day with our F1200 spec wheels and tires. I think this would give everyone a good idea of what they are actually capable of as an affordable spec tire.

Does anyone see a problem with doing this?
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 23

I would like to see you run them.

Default F1200 wheels/tires

If there is anyone interested in possibly running our series, I will be bringing an extra set of F1200 wheels/tires for someone else to run for a Friday test session. If there is anyone going to the birthday party that is interested in trying them out, let me know. If there is a lot of interest, I can bring a couple of extra sets down.
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

One week left to enter, the deadline is April 2

Update on entry numbers:

114 entries, 45 monoposto vintage, 62 current era and 7 misc (3 non-monopost vintage and 4 FST).
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 36

Is Parking going to be a challenge with that many entrants etc?

Frank,

Parking can always be a challenge depending on the skill level of the park-er.

The track facilities at RRR have ample space allowed for a large number of entrants. This is pretty close to the same number of entrants at the last (45th) party at RRR, so space should not be an issue.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 1

Are spectators allowed at this event? The Zink isn't finished, but the family and I will be in Savannah over the weekend.

Liked: 19

I'm not sure about your question but if Not I'm sure someone can get your family in.
    Let me know if you need help getting in.
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 3787

I saw pictures of the new Citation at Atlanta last week. Pretty impressive.
    Steve Davis is really flogging to try to get the Wedge rebuilt.

Still somewhat surprised there are only 4 FST entered.

Liked: 174

If I finish putting a new wood floor in the kitchen, I'll be down as a spectator.

Liked: 94

Max and I will be heading down on Friday to spectate and pick-up some spares. Hopefully we'll see you there, Mark.
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

To date, there are 118 entries. I have seen the posted schedule, but does anyone know if that could/will change based on the number of entries in the other classes? There are only 3 group 5 entries, 4 FFirst entries, and 0 group 3/4 entries.
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 830

Shane,
    Rest assured that the schedule WILL change. There would be little point in having a session with ZERO cars in it. And I suspect if there is more than one group with <5 cars, it would only make sense to combine them.. somehow (for the worker's sake).

Now HOW, it might be changed is yet to be determined . (But reasonable to expect that groups 5 and 6 would be combined).

Steve, FV80 (back to the garage!)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Shane,
    Rest assured that the schedule WILL change. There would be little point in having a session with ZERO cars in it. And I suspect if there is more than one group with <5 cars, it would only make sense to combine them.. somehow (for the worker's sake).

Now HOW, it might be changed is yet to be determined . (But reasonable to expect that groups 5 and 6 would be combined).

Steve, FV80 (back to the garage!)
    Makes sense to me too, Steve!
    Best of luck getting your car back together over the next week. See you at the track
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Default Enter now or forever hold your peace

Still time to enter, but this is likely to be the final update on the 50th entry list, the entry deadline is April 2 (that's tomorrow!).

117 entries at this point, 45 monoposto vintage, 65 current era and 7 misc (non-monoposto and FST).

Bill Bonow

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

People that are attending, please provide news and info from the event.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 49

Yes please!

Plus it's my birthday today, how fitting

Default Yes, we have no new Citation

Relayed info from trackside said the new Citation entry of Steve Oseth was pulled as the car is close, but not completed.
    Bill Bonow

Spotty internet here, but ... let's see...
    Weather spotty rain/drizzle A.M., but cleared mid afternoon and became sunny and warm.
    Greg Bruns has renewed his SCCA membership and license and is running a GB4 currently owned by Mitchell Ferguson (ran the Atlanta MAJORS 2 weeks ago, but not available for this weekend). Brad Stout has dusted off his Vortech and turned quite a number of laps today. Steve Davis (me) managed to piece his car back together (and get it past TECH ) and turned a few laps today. Roger Siebenauler made the trip down from the cold north and turned quickest (observed by this team) lap today (but not THAT much quicker ). Recent Champ Rick Shields is here. Oseth is here in Vintage form only. Team Vector (Abbotts) are here and looking strong. Blanarik is here with new (AGAIN) Silver Bullet bodywork ... Just running down as I think of them.. Donnie Isley is here and turned a few laps today (but I was busy elsewhere at the time)... Gary Kittell is running Jay's Mysterian and broke a head stud this morning.. got it fixed and ran .. OK.. this afternoon... Andreas Serrano has come out of hiding, but don't know how his day has been other than he has been on track (test day)... LOTS of other cars (mixed Vintage and FV on track at same time - 2 groups - odd/even numbers.. these are just the ones that I am either close to in the paddock or happened to see on the track.

Meeting tomorrow AM to see how the groups will shake out, but guessing that we MIGHT have only TWO groups of current cars + 1 group of Monteposto cars + 1 group of "everything else" (so far 4 vintage and 4 FST's).

Will try to give a brief report tomorrow after the party if no one else chimes in.
    Still a lot of people I think are here that I haven't seen yet. Been busy sorting my own car out and not much time to "wander about".

Steve, FV80

PS . Happy Birthday, Tiago!

Liked: 3787

This story from Hilton Tallman:

So if you are going to the FV 50th, stop by and talk to Tom and Nick Galuardi. Nick lives up by me and Tom lives in central Conn. Tom has been racing the same FV car for 33 plus years. Has never won a race and doesn’t care. He will run in the back of the pack and be happy dong it. The family has always camped out at the track and for 33 years Tom, his wife Donna, Nick and his sister went to the track every weekend. In the early years it was 4 of them in an old VW pickup. The one with the sides that folded down. Tom really lives by the motto any day at the track is a good day. When not racing he is a corner worker at any track that he can find work. From Atlanta to Montreal if asked , he will be there. Any other day I can call him up and ask if he wants to help me and he always says yes. Him and his wife are now retired school teachers. Nick is a new business owner. He owns a wellness center in Saratoga Springs NY. His sister Allison, is a videographer for the outfit that does all the Indy car races and others like the Rolex series. They all can spout all the names and stats, of most drivers and teams . When you stop and see them make sure you are hungry. I know they will ask you to have lunch, or dinner, or what ever once you are talking t them. It is truly a great experience and a lot of fun to just know these people. Take a few minutes as you are walking through and just say hi. These are the people keeping the dream alive.

Default Special Presentation Tonight -Butch Deer 50 years of FV

At this evenings after event party, Aaron "Butch" Deer will be given a special award/presentation for an amazing accomplishment, Butch has competed in FV every years since 1963. This makes him the only FV driver known to have made this benchmark.

Many of you know Butch from DRE, the iconic FV parts supply business. However, some may not know that he raced in FV for the past 50 years.

Here is a few photos of Butch in past FV's
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.01.14 at 6:29 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    At this evenings after event party, Aaron "Butch" Deer will be given a special award/presentation for an amazing accomplishment, Butch has competed in FV every years since 1963. This makes him the only FV driver known to have made this benchmark.

Many of you know Butch from DRE, the iconic FV parts supply business. However, some may not know that he raced in FV for the past 50 years.

Here is a few photos of Butch in past FV's
    Congratulations to Butch - I was hoping to have his old Citation down there; but, as someone said in another section - then life got in the way.

Everyone have a fast safe race and put everything back on the trailer in one piece.

Chris Z

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Q2 of monoposto/vintage group:

Kim Madrid 1:24.710
    Mike Jackson 1:25.340
    Michael Ennis 1:26.692
    Edward Ziegler 1:26.906
    Bill Griffith 1:27.563
    W. Dwight Calkins 1:27.628
    Steve Oseth 1:27.825
    Paul Buttrose 1:28.228
    Roger Bailey 1:28.248
    Rick del Rosario 1:28.329

and 36 more

Combining Q1/Q2 Oseth moves to 5th.

Madrid is in a VARA legal D13 (no fan/generator, dual rear shock, vintage manifold and carb)
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 04.06.13 at 9:28 PM.

Liked: 5

Default to Purple Frog

Tom and Nick are the Best Nick won the first regional last year at nh in his D-13 Just a great Family I try and stay with him with my Protoform P-3 and I should just blow by him but I don't drive as well as nick. My car told me she wants a new younger, faster, braver , Driver so she can go back and compete in the runoff's again, says she Misses Jim Kearney LOL Pete Cheney #06 GOOD LUCK TO ALL AT THE BIRTHDAY PARTY PLEASE STAY SAFE ALL. AND WATCH OUT FOR YOUR FRIENDS ON THE TRACK.

Liked: 6

As a low budget also ran I am having the time of my life with a great bunch of people - I will never be at the front end but if it wasn't for FV I would not be road racing and I would probably wasting away with my diabetes.
    Plain and simple I am having fun this weekend and I don't have to win - thank you to Fred Clarke and many new friends I havbe made this weekend.

Quick post before we go out to start "work".
    Odd cars ..
    Grenier 1:21.5
    Stout 1:21.6
    Noble 1:21.7
    Fredericks 1:22.1
    Shields 1:22.3
    Rogers 1:22.3 (Charlie)
    Bruns 1:22.3 (Greg)
    Abbott 1:22.3 (Andrew)
    Blanarik 1:22.6
    Serrano 1:23.2

Even cars
    Siebenaler 1:20.8
    Abbott 1:21.4 (Brandon)
    Stalvey 1:21.5
    Isley 1:21.5
    Davis 1:21.7
    Carbaugh 1:22.0
    Engler 1:22.3
    Satterley 1:22.4
    Grimes 1:23.9
    O'Conner 1:24.0

These are times from the second Q yesterday and should be pretty close to the grid. 2nd session was bit faster due to stronger tailwind on front straight.

Weather was great - sunny and mid 80's. In general a great day. Sorry - don't have monteposto times but Kim Madrid was allowed to run her D13 with them and she took the pole with Mike Jackson close behind (she will NOT be "competing" with them - they agreed to let her and another D13 run in their group). She also agreed to stay out of their race.

Races look to be like Runoffs races of old
    2 15 laps races today starting after lunch (Monteposto race should run before lunch), with Brundage 10 lap final to consist of top 20 finishers from each 15 lap race.

Steve, FV80
    ps - no measurable carnage that I'm aware of. Couple of blown engines and one of the FST's lost a RR axle tube in an 'off'. Dean Curtis had some damage after going over the top of Shields - not sure of the extent, but looked repairable at a glance as it went by on the roll back.
    Last edited by Steve Davis; 04.07.13 at 8:10 AM. Reason: PS

Liked: 53

Default Formula Vee 50th

As Barret and I were exchanging the the Lazer project who should appear but Steve Knapp! He came over and talked for a while. For me that was a moment to remember.

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 53

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    This story from Hilton Tallman:

So if you are going to the FV 50th, stop by and talk to Tom and Nick Galuardi. Nick lives up by me and Tom lives in central Conn. Tom has been racing the same FV car for 33 plus years. Has never won a race and doesn’t care. He will run in the back of the pack and be happy dong it. The family has always camped out at the track and for 33 years Tom, his wife Donna, Nick and his sister went to the track every weekend. In the early years it was 4 of them in an old VW pickup. The one with the sides that folded down. Tom really lives by the motto any day at the track is a good day. When not racing he is a corner worker at any track that he can find work. From Atlanta to Montreal if asked , he will be there. Any other day I can call him up and ask if he wants to help me and he always says yes. Him and his wife are now retired school teachers. Nick is a new business owner. He owns a wellness center in Saratoga Springs NY. His sister Allison, is a videographer for the outfit that does all the Indy car races and others like the Rolex series. They all can spout all the names and stats, of most drivers and teams . When you stop and see them make sure you are hungry. I know they will ask you to have lunch, or dinner, or what ever once you are talking t them. It is truly a great experience and a lot of fun to just know these people. Take a few minutes as you are walking through and just say hi. These are the people keeping the dream alive.
    We met Tom, Tom, Tom, Donna, Nick, and his wife. We had dinner with them, enjoyed every story. They are a bunch of great people. Hope to see them again, maybe at Watkins Glen.

G. & N.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 2

Default Not really a spoiler alert.

Anyone know how the protest went in the current class?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Hi Bruce, who or what was the protest about?

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Anyone have any results? Even prelims?
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 2

I was told Brad Stout was first, followed by Roger Siebenaler, Steven Davis and Jeremy Grenier. I was told Stout came over to cover Roger on the front straight on the inside, then went to the outside when Roger went there. Heard there was some dispute after the race. Haven't heard any more.

Suffice it to say.. there was DISPUTE! However, no protests were filed and no actions were taken. Brad won, Roger 2nd, Davis 3rd, Grenier 4th (Brundage cup). I think Brandon Abbott finished 5th, but the first 4 were in the same picture at the line.

Steve, FV80

Liked: 303

I'll add a bit to the latest reports. The racing was absolutely fantastic! Both qualifiers and the Brundage were exciting. They may be "amateurs", but I gaurantee you I watched some of the best drivers in the world today. A lot of experience at the front, in the middle, and even towards the rear. Really hard fought races. Congratulations to all!

For those that don't know, Stevan Davis really trashed his car a couple weeks ago at the Atlanta major, got it straightened out, finished 2nd in the qualifier and then a very close 3rd in the final. It took more than just talent to get from Atlanta to the front of the 50th, a lot of hard work was involved. It makes my efforts to rebuild a car look really slow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information