Liked: 3787

Default Should Spec Engines Remain

posted yesterday on SCCA website: CRB Minutes

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    Formula/Sports Racer
    FM
    1. #9155 (Club Racing Board) Future of FM Engines
    The CRB requests input, from FM drivers, owners and builders, on the issue of FM Spec engines.
    1. Should FM remain a sealed, spec engine class.
    2. If so, should alternate engine builders be included as official suppliers of spec engines?
    3. If FM should not remain a sealed engine class, what engine specifications would the class embrace for the future?

Liked: 9

Default SCCA; just kidding, right?

I try to see all sides and not to jump to conclusions but I gotta say;

Looks to me like SCCA is trying to shoot themselves in the foot. The future and success of the FM is now and has always been in the hands of one single manufacturer. Anyone who doesn't like what Star and now Moses Smith have done, can go FS and do whatever they want. But the FM class needs to remain a controlled spec class. Tossing this question out to the masses who have no idea of how this class could be totally splintered and fade away is just silly.

I would urge anyone who enjoys the advantages of this spec class and wants to retain the foundations of its succes to respond to the CRB that you'll back whatever Moses Smith proposes.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 27

I have no doubt that Moses has the best interest of this class at heart but I going to express my own opinion on each issue that involves FM. I am confident that keeping Daryl Drummond as the SOLE engine supplier and builder is the best solution for the longevity of the class. His dedication to providing quality equal motors to each of us is paramount to the success of this platform.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wills View Post
    I am confident that keeping Daryl Drummond as the SOLE engine supplier and builder is the best solution for the longevity of the class. His dedication to providing quality equal motors to each of us is paramount to the success of this platform.
    If anybody is wondering about the effect of opening rebuilding FM engines to other than Daryl, take a quick read of the 4Chan-level derp over on the CRB Letter #8803 thread.

Hint: the FF guys are clawing each others' eyes out over 15 grams of connecting rod weight.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Senior Member Franklin Futrelle's Avatar
    Liked: 6

spec. the only reason i raced one.

Liked: 14

not in the class anymore so I wont vote but when Rob and I ran it I know I can speak for Rob and say that we both considered Daryl one of the best parts of the class. The guy worked real hard to match the motors as close as possible.

Anyone know if Daryl has said he wants out ? Cause of not going away from him is just a bad idea.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 27

Default Nope

Daryl is still excited to be part of the FM class and expressed as much to me. I called him when I saw this to find out if there was a real need to have a second supplier(e.i. retirement from engine building) and he said he is very much still in the game. The FM community and former FM'ers should write the CRB and express your feelings on this. The CRB responds to whatever the community wants. I am all for open motors if that is what the majority want to do but I am writing my letter to the CRB in support of spec motors and keeping Drummond as sole supplier.

Contributing Member

Default 1supplier

Ok here goes. I have always been opposed to 1 company controlling production and supply of anything for obvious reasons. Not to slight D. D. As obviously there is no question about his contribution and dedication. However, it sure would be nice if there was a southwestern or southeastern approved rebuilder where shipping costs could be minimized, or, as an alternative, someway to provide an approved dyno location that would provide a certification of horsepower and engine seal to allow you to rebuild and run your own engine as long as it didn't exceed a pre selected hp limitation. The dyno shop could use the same carb, plugs, exhaust,timing setup etc on each engine to get a pretty accurate readout on each car.

Just trying to think of other ways to keep the integrity of the spec class while keeping the expense at a minimum.

Liked: 9

Default Looks like fun

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    If anybody is wondering about the effect of opening rebuilding FM engines to other than Daryl, take a quick read of the 4Chan-level derp over on the CRB Letter #8803 thread.

Hint: the FF guys are clawing each others' eyes out over 15 grams of connecting rod weight.
    I knew this $hit went on, I just didn't know how much fun it could be. Just what this team needs: a racing geek engineer with a law degree.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 14

Default Drummond..

Daryl has my vote as the only builder. I'm sure everyone else would agree also. I don't care if the shipping cost are higher and I live in NC. He has been with us from the begining and puts up with all my very stupid and time consuming questions. See you at the Runoffs.
    Robert Noell FM#27

Contributing Member

Default Drummond

Well, I guess I should've stopped at "here goes"...since I according to R Noell, am part of the "everyone" that agrees. "everyone" that I talk to complain about the shipping charges on the rebuild, some at a cost of almost 1k. It's not DDs fault, just something that adds substantially to the cost. Moses is very cost conscience about his pricing, sometimes to his detriment. I would imagine for two reasons: some of the parts are available from other suppliers for less and he is the driving force behind the car and the class.

In comparison, DD has no competition, and answers to nobody. I don't know whats in my engine now and wouldn't know after a rebuild. I also don't know what he's charging others for a rebuild. Does he charge others who do a lot of business with him less? How do I know what he replaced and what he didn't.

Please don't think that I think DD is not ethical and straight up about his dealings or overcharges. It's just a restriction on free enterprise that's not healthy. Certainly that's not a thing of the past? I vote for an alternative builder, for what it's worth.

Liked: 2

I may not be up to speed on all the internal politics, but I do find it odd that this pops in to the GCR questions so soon after they floated the idea of combining FE and FM. Are they pushing people toward the FE at the expense of the FM just to try and condense the classes to make the run offs simpler. Guss there is a little conspiracy theory in all of us.

Thread Information