Thread: Degrees of Roll

Liked: 2

Default Degrees of Roll

How many degrees of roll are folks seeing on their chassis when they're fully dialed-in (in terms of sway-bars and spring-rates)?

Thanks,

Chris

Liked: 126

I saw 40 degrees on the bridge of the USS Farragut (DDG-37) in 1986 when I was Officer of the Deck.

But I guess that does not help with your question!

Default An idea came to me, Rob ---

You put sway bars on those things -- you know, great big pontoons outboard of the ship -- so long that when one is riding a swell, the other is riding the dip... and, well, no better to just live with it. That's why the Citadel made you tough!

Regards,

Crowe

Liked: 1397

1 degree of suspension roll plus about the same amount of roll due to tire deflection. That is what I see with a softly sprung car. for an FB I would not expect to see any more.

Default Thanks, Steve ---

much appreciated as always.

-- Chris

Liked: 9

Default Not sure if this helps.

I ran the Stohr DSR spring rates alot of people use in a simulator so I could apply to a similiar ground effect car and at 1g I got a number of between .12 and .15 degrees. If you then take the upper and say you corner at 2G you may see .3 degrees

Not sure if that help as its purely math

Liked: 1

The FB data I have shows a typical maximum suspension roll of around 0.4 degrees at around 2g lateral acceleration. Note that this does not account for tire deflection, so the actual chassis roll angle relative to the track surface will be more.

Liked: 9

Great to see my modelling very close. I've probably over sprung for FB as modelling was on tunnelled car. Things like roll centre and centre of gravity will have some impact too but the above probably give a great guide.

Dont you just love data

Liked: 1

The data I was referencing was from a car equipped with what is most likely "moderate" wheel and ARB rates for an FB. Rates that are more than a typical FC, but less than a Stohr DSR.

And like I said, tire deflections will definitely add to these roll amounts. I also have access to the estimated tire deflections, but I have not yet written a math channel to convert this data into roll angles.

Thread Information