Liked: 2

Default Compare FM to other classes

What are you guys finding as a comparison of other classes to the FM, such as FE, FC, FB, CSR etc. I am fairly new to SCCA racing but finding it tough to keep up with these guys. SCCA wanted to merge the FM and FE together but my experience is they seem to stick better in some of the corners and have power to pull away on the straights.

The other thought might be there is a decrease in power, but that is why I am asking for a comparison. Definately the driver could be better, but some corners I do better than the competition, which may also be part of learning the car.

The course I run at most of the time is 2.5 miles, 14 turns and running in 1:43+. The FC's are running 1:39-1:41 and the FE is running 1:34. any insight is appreciated.

Steve

Liked: 9

Default I wouldn't lose any sleep over it

We raced these other classes head to head in 40-50 car grids for several years in SCCA. They are all more modern chassis and generally have more latitude to tinker.

When the FE first came out they were a touch slower than a reasonably fresh motor'd FM. They quickly improved shocks and some other things and were quicker across the board within a couple of years. DSR's and FB's have some pretty quick and light motors as well as tweakable chassis. CSR's can also tinker and increase their power to weight ratios and such.

FC's have less power but handle better making them generally on par for many of us.

The FM's strong suit is the motor, so yours may be getting weak. They last a long time and the power loss is subtle and tough to feel. The dyno, lap times and data tell the story.

But before you worry about the motor and go looking for an experienced FM dyno/tuning guy, change your muffler. Mufflers go bad and rob power in sublte ways that, like a weak motor, doesnt' give you a lot of seat of the pants clues. I've had mufflers that ran 20 hours and some that didn't last 2 hours. Look back on the old FM forum and you'll see threads from 2005 discussing potential reasons. Never got a consensus. The fast guys never try to guess, they just change them.

Bottom line, you can't measure your car against another class; test and race against another FM who has a known history and condition. Then change your muffler, then dyno/tune the motor, AND have your set up checked. And if all that and coaching doesn't help, join the club of back row wankers that have fun and laugh our ass off writing race reports called "Postcards from the Back."

Over and out.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 43

Steve,

I've seen you car run on track about three times. My guess is that your engine/muffler is getting very soft. It does not have the engine note that other FM cars have. It has also appeared that you are down on power because you corner speed has been decent but you are getting pulled on the straights.

Thanks guys. I did change the muffler before Labor Day weekend. The previous one had split a seam and was loosing the steel wool. I noticed the interoir baffles were loose and had to be replaced.

Northwind, I will have to meet up with you at an event and introduce to one another. Your impression is similar to mine. I can actually pick up on some corners, but loose it on others, so I think I need to work the telemetry and figure out what the driver is messing up. Think I will spend the next season tinkering with setup and see what I can due. Appreciate the insight.

Steve

Contributing Member
    Liked: 6

Default What brung you

We have a saying down here in the south. Run with what "brung" you. Lotta peoples cars are down on power. Just carry more speed into the corners, keep you revs up. Run your practice days on tires heavily cycled. Put new ones on on race day. Push yourself past your limits and work on one turn at a time. Just learn to skate on your skates, play your old golf clubs or write with your own pencil. You,ll surprise yourself and win more than your supposed to. You'l also lose some you shoulda won. But the bottom line is you had great fun doing all of it.

Liked: 27

Are you coming to the Runoffs to spectate? If so, then you will have an oportunity to stop be a talk to Moses Smith. You can also stop by and ask me questions and take a look at our cars and how they are prepared and setup. First thought is how old are your plug wires, cap and rotor? Rotary engines like a lot of spark. Old plug wires just doesn't give the engine enough spark and makes the motor sound flat and unresponsive.

I was originally planning to come to the runoffs, but the schedule with work and family just filled the schedule. I am probably the closest guy to the track and I'm the one not to make it. I did spend time with Moses this winter to bone up, and am still working with what I learned from him.

Plug wires are about 1 season old. I will replace rotor and cap.Thanks for that tip. I may also be running the car leaner than when I bought it as I was having issues with plug fouling, but that may be hurting me and will try to step up one size and see if there is an improvement.

By the way- anyone of the FM guys need a room at the runoffs. I have a room we are not going to use in Plymouth and before we release it thought we would offer it up. It is the AmericInn for the nights of 19th-and checking out on 22nd. Queen non-smoking. Let me know if you are interested.

Steve

Thread Information