Thread: John Goss

Liked: 3787

Default John Goss

Moderation shows a lack of commitment.

...John Goss

A great guy who helped thousands of fellow racers go faster.

July 28, 1954 - September 2, 2012
    Way too soon.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 10.16.12 at 11:22 AM.

Liked: 896

A sad day. John did a lot for many people. RIP John.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Liked: 64

I am very saddend about this news.John was a good friend and I will miss him.I want to extend my sympathy to his family.John fought this illness for several years and was a true fighter.I hope all who reads this will take time to say a prayer for his family in there time of need.I know I will.
    Yir
    Rest In Peace my friend
    Tim MinorFc88
    Tim Minor

Liked: 610

Default John Goss

Way too young.
    Very sad indeed.
    My condolences to his family and those closest to him.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 14

damn. was always there when you needed him.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 0

John was not only a great racer & supporter of our sport; but, also a great composites fabricator. He will be sorely missed in many communities. My sympathies and thoughts go out to his family, friends, and colleagues.

Steve Maxwell

Liked: 2

I met John for the first time at the Glen a number years ago at a drivers school. He was a student ? Setting blistering lap times, I wondered what was going on. He later told me "just shaking off the cob webs , keeping license current"

I hoped at the time to be as smooth as John.... Still not

He passed on some great advise to me that was much appreciated.

Deepest sympathy to Johns' family.
    Godspeed John
    Ed Vargo and family
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 54

Even with the long illness, it seems you are never prepared to hear the sad news.
    John was a great friend of my for over 30 years and I was able to speak with him by phone last week one last time.

Back in the early '80's he told me he wanted to learn about building fiberglass race car bodies and I put him in touch with Ralph Locurcio who built molds and parts in the Buffalo area for his own Formula Ford(s).

John's first attempt was a new body for his Zinc Z-10 FF, which he called the "Polecat"....it wasn't pretty. But he went on to perfect the art and moved into composites with beautiful parts from his Syracuse area shop.

We raced a lot of different cars in a lot of different series together and he will be forever missed.

God bless you and RIP.

I had the privilage of knowing John and his wife and boys (now young men) only half as long as Dan, but I enjoyed every minute spent with him, including in the shop, "bench racing". Another pioneer will now be missing from the tracks! Sad indeed.

Ed

Contributing Member

John was a great guy. Always had a smile and never complained. He will be missed.
    Gods Speed John!

Liked: 159

Default a great loss

John was a great guy.....and an asset to the racing community that cannot be replace. He will be sorely missed.

My deepest sympathies to his family.

Jerry Hodges

Dan was right, no matter what, you are never prepared to hear the sad news....

John was a family friend since before I was born. My father met him at an SCCA driver school over 30 years ago. John was his assigned instructor. The way my father tells it, John told him to just follow his lead and try to keep up. They became good friends after that.

Almost five years ago, John got wind of the fact the Mack's were going back racing, but this time, I would be behind the wheel at my first driver school. He told my father that he would be there with his car to show me around. My very first lap of the Glen was following John's lead. It was the last time he was on the track..... I have no idea if John ever knew how much that ment to my father and I, but I hope that he did. It was a weekend of great memories, immortalized by the customary class photo where John, standing behind me, subtly managed to give me "bunny ears" right as they snapped the shot. That photo will forever be on display in my office.

John enriched the lives of everyone who knew him. My deepest sympathy goes out to his family.

Godspeed

Liked: 54

September 2, 2012
    John Steven Goss, 58, of Jamesville, passed away Sunday night in the comfort of his home. He was a graduate of Bishop Grimes High School and Notre Dame University. At Notre Dame, John was a NROTC cadet and served in the Reserves.
    After college he managed the family business, Goss Piano and Organ, and started a second successful retail business, Creative Walls Ltd.
    In 1985, John merged his lifelong passion for auto racing with his entrepreneurial spirit by founding Pennon Composites. This new business allowed John to help his fellow racers by designing and fabricating components to improve car performance and driver comfort. John's creativity and design talents led to many exciting projects and happy customers. John was a member of Sports Car Club of America and several professional organizations involved with polymer and composite engineering. He was a very active and committed officer and coach for JDYAA. John especially loved lacrosse and invested his time to help the youth at JD learn to love the sport as well.
    John was predeceased by his parents, Russell and Marie (Curran) Goss.
    He is survived by his wife, Alison Goss; sons, Peter and Adam; siblings, Lynn Kazel of Rochester, Jean Schreier of Hollywood, FL, and Brian Goss of DeWitt; brothers and sisters-in-law, Alan and Gayle Peters of Binghamton, Janet and Steve Damtoft of Rochester and David and Joellen Peters of Fayetteville. Also surviving are his nieces and nephews who cherished him and the many friends he made through the years.
    Services: 10 a.m. Saturday at Eaton-Tubbs Fayetteville Chapel. Friends may call from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at the funeral home, 7191 East Genesee St., Fayetteville.
    For directions visit www.SCHEPPFAMILY.com Contributions, in lieu of flowers, to Jamesville Community Church, 6300 East Seneca Turnpike, Jamesville, NY 13078 or JDYAA, 712 Scott Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13224, please write John Goss Scholarship Fund on memo line.

Liked: 64

There is some good news news from this sad news.John was able to find a buyer for all of his molds and parts,so his legacy can continue.If people orderd parts and need to find out the status they can Contact Steve Maxwell at CCE Composits 802 999 6930 and he will do his best to get you your parts.He will also be making parts from all the molds he got from John.
    Yir
    Tim MinorFc88
    Tim Minor

Liked: 179

Sad news RIP John.

Liked: 1

Default rip john

so sorry to hear ,john helped thru my first bead seat 2 years ago.so nice and so helpful,a loss ,condolences to the family kim willcox

Liked: 1

Default He'll be missed

Johnny touched a lot of people's lives outside of racing, too. He coached lacrosse in the community for a long time, and was active around town in many ways.

There was a big outpouring at the calling hours this afternoon - and at least 30 or 40 kids that Johnny had coached.

Sad - I'll miss him.

In Johns' honor I had decals made which will be run on the cars in the open wheel groups at The Glen this weekend.
    I will be in garage 2B for those who would like to stop by.

We selected #27 as this was the last car number John ran to the best of my knowledge. Johns involvement with youth lacrosse will certainly be missed, he helped many players in the Central New York area.

Attachment 33259

Racing in Johns Honor
    Thanks
    Ed
    Last edited by aspenripper; 07.28.14 at 2:36 PM.
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Thread Information