Liked: 0

Default Front wheel bearings?????

Hello everyone,
    I am going to change the front wheel bearings on my 97 FM and was wondering
    if there is a link to a video or a step by step instruction page or anything that may
    help with the project. I looked thru the list of threads here and didn't see anything
    that look like it. So if anyone can help I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
    John

Liked: 2

try this old forum site. I know Mike was posting some of the info.

http://formulamazdaforum.yuku.com/se...mit=Search+All

You also need to remember the old physics trick of heating up the upright and freezing the bearing and they drop right in if I remember.

John

Found the stuff that Mike sent me.
    http://public.fotki.com/mikeism/mike...bearing-repla/

This looks to be the step by step

Steve

Steve,

Hey thanks so much, this is a great help. Hopefully the STORM will hold off and
    we can have a great race at Barber. Of course with this bearing issue we'll be
    behind the gun to get it done but I believe we will make it. I have also been on the
    horn with Bruce and if he has one on the shelf I may get it and let him redo this
    old one for me. I would hate to mess it up and right now time is short so. We may
    take the easy way out, but will keep this info for future reference.

Thanks,
    John

John
    Remember to keep the washer stacks the same on the suspension members as this will affect the alignment and steering

Yes, considered that when we were taking it off the car and marked everything and
    used a bread wrapper to run thru them in order to keep them that way. But thanks
    for the tip. I think if I get another one from Bruce for this coming up weekend I am
    going to check everything anyway just to make sure. There shouldn't be any difference
    I don't think but it never hurts to double check.

Thanks again,
    John

Default Hey... look at that...

Wow... something I did got referenced here ha ha. I have a more detailed procedure that includes freezing the hub overnight but I haven't updated the docs yet. One of these days I'll have to move everything over to www.mikeism.com. Short story however is this:

- Leave your hub in the freezer overnight.

- for the upright: I use a toaster oven that goes to 450 degrees instead of a barby grill. 1/2 hr in the oven and you are good to go. Get the upright to 425 degrees and everything falls out.

- While the upright is still 400 to 425 degrees, drop in your bearing, spacer and then the other bearing. Then, while everything is still hot and expanded, slide (don't drop) your frozen hub in. Keep everything near your press just in case it needs a little push but mine have gone in no problem each time. Some folks prefer to skip the freezing and just press the hub in due to condensation that forms between the hub surface and the inner race of the bearing because it can cause oxidation/pitting over time. I dunno... maybe.

Cheers!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sflaten View Post
    John

Found the stuff that Mike sent me.
    http://public.fotki.com/mikeism/mike...bearing-repla/

This looks to be the step by step

Steve
    Last edited by mikeism; 12.22.12 at 12:27 PM.

Thread Information