Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brakes?

Liked: 0

Default brakes?

Called Carbotech and they have nothing and racing-stuff doesn't have KFPs available (only one set that is straight, not angled). What other options are out there that are better than stock? Looking to upgrade but can't find any options. Suggestions?

Liked: 76

Change brake adjusing screws to straight and use KFP or grind shoes to fit angled adjusters. Porterfield used to mmake racing brake shoes but I don't know if they are still in business since Andy Porterfield passsed away.
    butch deer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

I ordered from them since he passed away, so I would say they are.

Liked: 830

Has anyone had success getting KFP or Porterfield shoes for a Vee? I've sent a couple of people to Averill, but not heard anything back. Keith - if you see this, do you actually HAVE shoes for FV? Anyone using them? Success? Failure?

I'm fat for shoes at the moment, but can see the writing on the wall and am looking to the future.

Steve, FV80

Liked: 20

I spoke with Kieth a few weeks back he has them but has no cores to get more so if we want something without waiting for the clowns at carbotech to get some we need to get together and get core to Kieth so they can be sent out.
    Mark Filip

Mark,
    That sounds good. I suggest that any vee guys that have cores send them to Keith so they can build up some stock. I have at least one set. In past years I just threw them away because CT didn't ask for them (wonder where they get THEIR cores?), but in the last couple of years, I got concerned and have been keeping them ... somewhere. I'll look and see what I can find (after the runoffs )

I think I'll send something out to the FV Registry about it when I get a few minutes.

Steve, FV80

I have at least 3 sets and I know a few guys that can rangle up at least
    A dozen sets.

Have to check with Kieth to see what they need for a batch
    Mark Filip

Liked: 610

Default Brakes

Mark,
    I can have them made in any quantity, my problem has always been cores. Once I ran out of the boxes of old shoes that George Mazuro brought over, the problem arose.
    KFP did by some "metals" in the past, but they were rears.
    The best way for me to keep on top of supply is to send me both ends, either adjuster style.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 0

Default Cores

I'll have a large box of cores going out to Keith early next week. Something on the order of 20 sets, more if I can get my buddy to dig his out

Dennis

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    but can see the writing on the wall and am looking to the future.
    And the future should be disc brakes!!!!!!

Brian

Liked: 72

Go to http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/ and solve your grief. Two compounds are available and frankly these shoes are more kind to the drums than the latest version of brand CT.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    Go to http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/ and solve your grief. Two compounds are available and frankly these shoes are more kind to the drums than the latest version of brand CT.
    I went there once before (and again just now). Their website is extremely poorly "organized" (if you could call it that) and I cannot find ANY reference to VW brake SHOES. If you found something, please send a link.

I'm bit taken aback by Keith's KFP price. And I thought CT was expensive. Now we're talking another $50 bucks up .. per axle.

I sure wish there was an affordable wide 5 disk brake conversion out there .... I LONG for $30 performance pads....

Steve, FV80

Liked: 190

I LONG for $30 performance pads....
    $30 is outrageous. Every 30 races, $18.95 for the good stuff
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Ha! The LD20 pads are around $100 a pair and must have less than 1/4th the material!

I agree with the website being a bit weak but a phone call will answer your questions. Guess it's old school.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Contributing Member

Right off I found a $419 and $400 kit.

http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Zero...it%205x205.htm

http://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2926.html

Is that not affordable? How much are shoes?

Brian

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Rather than go to discs, why not just eliminate performance brake shoes.
    We did not need them for the 1st 30 years of FV. I still run stock replacement shoes on my cars. Rears last for years. Fronts may last a year or more. Drums last forever. Endless availability! Available at NAPA.
    Hopefully, "dumbing down" FV could be accepted in this case.
    Last edited by problemchild; 09.13.12 at 7:25 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Rather than go to discs, why not just eliminate performance brake shoes.
    No possible way to enforce that. There are too many "street" compounds for brake shoes.
    Steve, FV80

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Right off I found a $419 and $400 kit.

http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Zero...it%205x205.htm

http://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2926.html

Is that not affordable? How much are shoes?

Brian
    Hadn't actually searched in 3 or 4 years. Last I looked - with diligent searching - the best I could find was something over $800. This does interest me. There is no weight info - I wonder what the comparison weight is? Also - the jbugs kit uses 2" drop spindles, so not applicable ... unless we allowed that too.

I was a proponent of allowing disc brakes several years ago, but the class members shot it down. Maybe thoughts have changed?
    Let's see. The complete conversion kit (front only) costs about the same as 2 sets of (performance) brake shoes - but no info on the cost (or source) of replacement pads.

Anyone else want to comment?
    I wonder if Kustom1 could keep up with a sudden influx of orders .. say 40 or 50?

Steve, FV80

You really want to put crap like this on our cars? Believe it or not drum brakes are pretty efficient. I think easiest way is to get together and find someone to produce shoes at a more resonable price (if that is even possible)

http://youtu.be/XJsOMuvpghI

remember most of the parts will be from china
    Mark Filip

Liked: 391

Steve -

Make sure you stop by at the runoffs so we can chat a little bit about brakes.

Michael V.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    Believe it or not drum brakes are pretty efficient...remember most of the parts will be from china
    If they are so efficient, why are not they used exclusively on new street cars.

You get from China what you ask and pay for.

NO stock/street shoe will hold up on a front running FV.

Brian

Contributing Member

but no info on the cost (or source) of replacement pads.
    The one kit uses "Chevy style calipers with semi metallic brake pads"

After reviewing some Chevy possibilities, the cost of a semi metallic front set (both sides) can run from $7 for economy pads to $35 for high performance pads.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    If they are so efficient, why are not they used exclusively on new street cars.

You get from China what you ask and pay for.

NO stock/street shoe will hold up on a front running FV.

Brian
    95% of type 1 beetle parts are far superior than the crap that is on new cars trust me I have been working on this garbage for 30 years. When is the last time you saw a Chevy cavalier running, dodge K car Or a ford tempo they made millions and they are all gone and these cars had tons and tons of Chinese parts.

The only problem with drum brakes are heat. Can we run a brake duct to the brakes per SCCA rules (I have no clue I never looked) If the heat was reduced we may be able to get away with a less agressive shoe. Brake duct could be made for peanuts. Just a thought

I understand you get what you pay for in china. I'm saying it's crap and I don't care if it was free it's not something I want to buy for a race if I had a choice.
    Last edited by Mark Filip; 09.13.12 at 1:33 PM.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 49

Before you go on talking about how Chinese stuff is crap, take a very good look around you. Where was your computer made? The pieces and devices that connect you to the Internet? Your tv? Your clothes, most of the components in just about everything..?

Chinese "crap" is as necessary to the American way of life as water.

Moving on, disc brakes would get my vote, and I have been told by more than one person they'd never consider driving a Vee because the brakes look silly, but - does anyone think this will ever happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    Before you go on talking about how Chinese stuff is crap, take a very good look around you. Where was your computer made? The pieces and devices that connect you to the Internet? Your tv? Your clothes, most of the components in just about everything..?

Chinese "crap" is as necessary to the American way of life as water.

Moving on, disc brakes would get my vote, and I have been told by more than one person they'd never consider driving a Vee because the brakes look silly, but - does anyone think this will ever happen?
    Exactly it's all crap cloths don't last long sneakers last a month and tear open everyone wants to smash there computers cars rust in a year because of cheap metal. We have American made cars that are 50 years old sitting in fields still. It's all works but it's disposable. I use it because there is nothing else availible.

I'm for disc brakes as well just give me something that I will feel safe with and not kill someone with.

I don't care if people tell me my brake look silly I can name a few other classes that have disc brakes and I can out brake most with old drum brakes. Making a decision on looks is not always the right choice.
    Last edited by Mark Filip; 09.14.12 at 11:32 AM.
    Mark Filip

Classifieds Super License nhmcclure's Avatar
    Liked: 3

+1 for Mark!

Liked: 33

Default Porterfield Shoes

racye13,

I talked with porterfield on Wednesday of last week to order a set of brake shoes and they said they have plenty in stock. I took a session of the test day I was running to trying "beding" them in a little and they felt great by the time I pulled in. A friend uses them on her vee and she loves them. They also came out cheaper than the CT's I previously bought (my final bill was $237 for both axles). I would suggest Porterfield for a replacement to the CT

They sell two compunds; the R4 and the RD4. They suggest the R4 as it wont tear up the drum as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterianfreak View Post
    racye13,

I talked with porterfield on Wednesday of last week to order a set of brake shoes and they said they have plenty in stock. I took a session of the test day I was running to trying "beding" them in a little and they felt great by the time I pulled in. A friend uses them on her vee and she loves them. They also came out cheaper than the CT's I previously bought (my final bill was $237 for both axles). I would suggest Porterfield for a replacement to the CT

They sell two compunds; the R4 and the RD4. They suggest the R4 as it wont tear up the drum as bad.
    Amen!
    Mark Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterianfreak View Post
    racye13,

I talked with porterfield on Wednesday of last week to order a set of brake shoes ...
    Thanks, Russ. I was waiting for someone to provide info on that source.

Mark - my emphasis in this thread was on AVAILABILITY. Most of us have been using CT for years. Now that they are no longer a valid supplier (at least for the last year or so), I was very interested in alternate options. When I heard the price of the KFP's, it made me think that DISC BRAKES (conversion kit) might, again, be a better option for the class.

I feel it is the Committee's responsibility to "keep an open mind" about parts supply issues and "SEE" as far into the future as we possibly can to keep the class thriving (2nd highest entry at the runoffs this year ... only SRF has more).

Steve, FV80

Liked: 69

Default Porterfield is the way to go

Yes I do use Porterfied (as mentioned above) and they are great! They do have many in stock and it is $119.00 per set. I switched to them this season and I have not had any issues.
    RD4 is better if your brakes get hot (depends on the tracks you run) but R4 is better on the drums.

Here is the contact info: 949-548-7783 or 800-537-6842
    email: sales@porterfield-brakes.com

They will ship them to you in no time!!

Kim Madrid
    FV1 291

Liked: 946

+1 on Poterfield's inventory, service and the R4 compound.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 23

Steve,
    We have 37 entered at the Runoffs and they put the F-500 in with us again?
    I think SCCa would like to see open wheel go away.

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 93

Default Porterfield Contact number

Use the toll free number, or, if within CA use 949-548-4470

Just ordered a set of fronts in the RD4 compound which are in stock.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by FVEE56 View Post
    Steve,
    We have 37 entered at the Runoffs and they put the F-500 in with us again?
    I think SCCa would like to see open wheel go away.
    As much as I HATE it, keep in mind that FV was.. IIRC... 4th last year in entries - we were trumped by SM and ... wasn't it EP?

At any rate, SCCA (even in their INFINITE WISDOM) cannot (obviously) predict exactly WHO will register for the Runoffs NEXT year.

They did the best they could.
    IMHO, every class that has less than 10 participants at RO's should be grouped with other classes in the same situation - at least THREE classes per group. They'd still have less than half of the number of cars that OUR group will have on track.

Steve, FV80

Is there anyone that has experience that can compare the CT to the Portefields on a track that is fairly aggressive on brakes?
    Mark Filip

I'm bit taken aback by Keith's KFP price. And I thought CT was expensive. Now we're talking another $50 bucks up .. per axle.

Steve, FV80

Wait until everyone gets there quote for CT shoes!!!!!! They just sent me a quote $187 per axle!!!! hows that?
    Mark Filip

Liked: 49

bahahaha.. So with shipping and tax, that's not far from $400 for a car. Boy they better last a whole season, cause disc brakes are sounding cheaper and cheaper every day

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

What is the consensus on the new CT liner? What do people who actually tested them think of it?

Regardless of the performance (whether the new ones are better or worse), a price increase of 30% on a product is a major event. Even more when it adds to an already high purchase cost.

Thanks,
    Jean
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

Folks, I have access to mass produced brake shoes that sell for $50 an axle for fronts and $45 an axle for rears plus freight. They are similar to the old Mintex shoes and contain metal fragments to deal with the heat. I have tests planned in the near future for them but know some national level drivers that run them. They do require a bit more pedal pressure and need warming on the pace lap, but I've been told they work fine and are drum friendly.

The sets I received needed arching and that may be a challenge since OSHA banned the machines from general use in shops. That doesn't mean that you cannot arch them yourselves with a belt sander since it's not rocket science to do it. Just remember to wear a mask and do it outside.

If there is enough interest, I will outline a procedure for arching and place an order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information