Liked: 2

Default FV to FST conversion

I'm considering converting an FV to FST. I am wondering where most people are sourcing their parts and what years and models they are using for donor parts?

Tom

Liked: 56

Tom
    I see that you are in MA. Before starting your conversion contemplation, have you had an opportunity to visit a FV race at NHMS? We have a great group of guys and gals ( averaging 15 cars per weekend), and I would hate to have you go through the challenge of a build to find there are relatively few to race against in the NE. If you haven't, we would love to have you visit in Sept. and "hang" with us.
    I don't want to step on toes , but thought I might be the first to welcome you to FV in the Northeast!
    Nick

Liked: 4

I'll second Nick's comments. The FV group in the NE is great. My son is now in his 2nd year of racing a Vee and loves it. Always 15-20 cars and always good racing.
    Not to knock FST but we have raced at all the NE tracks and in the 2 years of racing have yet to even see one.
    I also would recommend you come to the next race at NHMS and check it out. You won't be disappointed. We're back there Sept. 8th and 9th.

Liked: 20

And I have a car for you

Welcome
    Mark Filip

Liked: 190

Tom,

There are many places to source parts as the aftermarket availability of the VW parts for FST is very strong. SR is a strong supporter of the class and has a good selection, but the VW parts are all over. www.thesamba.com is an amazing place to find tons of OE NOS and aftermarket VW parts.

The specifics on the donor, the ball joint beam is '66 on VW type 1. The front spindles and brakes are VW Ghia, the gearbox is a standard FV longbox with a 1.26 third with bolt on aftermarket disc brakes (using the Ghia calipers). Engines in the NE Div are being built by Dave Carr (Autowerks). SR has an excellent book called getting started in FV/FST. I also have a short article on conversion that I will email to you.

Dave and Nick are somewhat correct in that there has not been many FST's in the NE Div. There are 3 ongoing NE FV conversions, 2 of which are in the final stages and will be out this year. In addition, George Podgorski in CT has a brand new Evolutiuon FST that he has ran at Lime Rock. There have been many interested NE FV people waiting to see the conversions. George has been very busy with work and has not been to many NE races lately

If your heading to the "Fun One" at Watkins Glen next month, you will see a significant migration of FST's at that race. I also think that one of those conversions just being finished is scheduled to be at NHMS on September 8th & 9th.

There are plenty of closet FST people in the NE Div. PM me and I can get you in contact with them.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Dave and Nick are somewhat correct in that there has not been many FST's in the NE Div
    I think they are 100% correct this is my 3rd year in FV and I have also never seen a FST in the Northeast and I have been to LRP, Then Glen, NHMS and NJMS but I did here a rumor there was 1 that ran at LRP once and was class winner.

There are plenty of closet FST people
    Why? You guys seem to have a secret closet cult.
    Mark Filip

Mark,

You've made my point very well. There have been numerous NE FST entries, but almost always from our Nelson Ledges event hosted by the Glen Region, very few FST entries have been in New England area propper. At three years, your still too new. FST has been around for 10 years. In 2006, (11) FST's came to WGI for a series race. We even hosted a dinner for all the FV guys at the track that weekend. If you look at our page of fast laps http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29424 You will see that FST cars have been to Nelson Ledges, Beaverun, WGI and Lime Rock. Not everywhere, but not 100% no FST's.

My point I was attempting to make for Tom is that there are more FST cars coming to the NE. One has been in Hartford, CT for over a year and two more will be finished and running this season.

Also, please keep in mind that this is the FST forum.
    Bill Bonow

Default Citation FST

To get this thread back on Tom's question, I would highly suggest to look at a used completed conversion, much less in time and money than performing a conversion. This car is a perfect example: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52915
    Bill Bonow

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Mark,

You've made my point very well. There have been numerous NE FST entries, but almost always from our Nelson Ledges event hosted by the Glen Region, very few FST entries have been in New England area propper. At three years, your still too new. FST has been around for 10 years. In 2006, (11) FST's came to WGI for a series race. We even hosted a dinner for all the FV guys at the track that weekend. If you look at our page of fast laps http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29424 You will see that FST cars have been to Nelson Ledges, Beaverun, WGI and Lime Rock. Not everywhere, but not 100% no FST's.

My point I was attempting to make for Tom is that there are more FST cars coming to the NE. One has been in Hartford, CT for over a year and two more will be finished and running this season.

Also, please keep in mind that this is the FST forum.
    Bill I'm not doubting you I'm just saying I have never seen one.

I may be new compared to most FV or FST guys but your bringing up events almost 7 years ago what is a driver going to do in between those huge events.

I know this is a FST forum but it's seems that the FST guys are always ready to jump in on FV discussion.

I'll keep my mouth shut now I just hope a new driver doesn't waste his/her time and money. Everyone deserves to receive all information before making choices.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 151

Default WGI

Mark

If you come to the Fun One at WGI this year I believe you will see a bunch of FST's. More importantly it looks like three will be NE based. Vermont, and CT.

Our Formula seems to be working and spreading because conversion produces the cheapest race car. There is also talk of a cost effective purpose-built FST car being done this year.

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    Bill I'm not doubting you I'm just saying I have never seen one.
    Understood. You will most likely see Dennis out with his very shortly at NHMS.

I may be new compared to most FV or FST guys but your bringing up events almost 7 years ago what is a driver going to do in between those huge events.
    Agreed, we have not held a series event in the NE propper for a long time. We are having one next month at WGI. Hope you will be there to see a number of them.

I know this is a FST forum but it's seems that the FST guys are always ready to jump in on FV discussion.
    I think you need to clarify who is "the FST guys". That typically turns out to be mostly Jim Schings and he is typically trying to make comparisons. We've told him to stop, but Jim makes his own choices. I think you will find that most everyone involved with FST gave up a long time ago on trying to discuss anything FST on the FV forums.

I'll keep my mouth shut now I just hope a new driver doesn't waste his/her time and money. Everyone deserves to receive all information before making choices.
    You don't have to remain silent, send the guy a PM. All of us in racing are wasting our time and money, so you're too late on that one

Could not agree more that getting all the info you can before making a major decision is the best plan.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.13.12 at 7:59 AM.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 0

Tom,

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. I am in the final stages of getting my Adams conversion on track and plan to be at NHMS for the September race and the Fun One at the Glen. FST has admittedly had a slow start in the NE, but it IS starting. After 22 years in FV, I felt it was time for a change.

Dennis

Liked: 22

Default It's an Epidemic...

Count me in too, I'll be at NHMS in September with a new FST. Also planning on running the Glen and Lime Rock this year.

One thing we all agree on, the New England FV drivers are all a great bunch of guys and gals!

Here's a picture of George Podgorski in a FST at Lime Rock

Last edited by veefan; 08.13.12 at 1:15 PM.

Default Don't convert, you'll have no one to race...?

Please, this is not a dig against anyone, I've heard that a comment lot.

In almost every NHMS race group I've been in or seen, we've always had one (maybe two a few times) F500 in our grouping. Does everyone really think he's been wasting his time... and not enjoying himself?

Quote Originally Posted by veefan View Post
    Please, this is not a dig against anyone, I've heard that a comment lot.

In almost every NHMS race group I've been in or seen, we've always had one (maybe two a few times) F500 in our grouping. Does everyone really think he's been wasting his time... and not enjoying himself?
    Yes he's wasting his time unless he or she enjoys not improving

Your driving alone you do that on Sunday's with your wife or girlfriend
    He's not racing he's trying to drive fast and without someone to race against your not getting faster nor can you learn how to race.

This is just my opion but I welcome all comment proving me wrong as I'm still new at racing

I guess I just look at things differently
    Last edited by Mark Filip; 08.13.12 at 2:57 PM.
    Mark Filip

Your driving alone you do that on Sunday's with your wife or girlfriend
    He's not racing he's trying to drive fast and without someone to race against your not getting faster nor can you learn how to race.
    So your saying Solo Racing, is a waste of time and since your driving alone you'll never get faster?

Liked: 49

In Solo, you're still racing someone else, just not simultaneously. It's a valid point, whichever way you try to spin it, driving around by yourself, in almost any type of car, gets old fast.

On the other hand, someone needs to lead the way. I wouldn't jump on an F500 and be the lone dude driving around with no hope for company, but an FST that might make a few more people jump over the fence? Meh, maybe! But if I was still the lone FST after a season of driving around, you can be sure I'd get rid of it pretty fast.

Liked: 62

Okay, I'm very very new to racing, but I hear that a lot, and I don't quite get it. I guess it depends upon what you want to get out of racing. I have had some of my best on-track "racing" with my old Reynard CF against someone in a FV (who is a better driver than me, but then again, most people are) on some of the more twisty tracks like Shenandoah with the FRCCA. He would pass me in the twisty sections, carrying more speed, smoother, better lines, etc., and then I would pass him in the straights. In my mind, that's good, clean, inexpensive, fun "racing". It should probably bother me than I can't run circles around him with the HP differential, but we both enjoy it, and I don't have much of a racing ego (thank goodness)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    In Solo, you're still racing someone else, just not simultaneously. It's a valid point, whichever way you try to spin it, driving around by yourself, in almost any type of car, gets old fast.

On the other hand, someone needs to lead the way. I wouldn't jump on an F500 and be the lone dude driving around with no hope for company, but an FST that might make a few more people jump over the fence? Meh, maybe! But if I was still the lone FST after a season of driving around, you can be sure I'd get rid of it pretty fast.
    Thank you exactly how I feel
    Nothing is a waste if you have something or someone to make you better. I raced Hillclimbs for a few years I picked the class with the most drivers that my budget allowed otherwise I was going to watch. I was running alone but with other cars in the class. After the first run I saw the gap they had, next time I made gap smaller and everytime after that I kept working until I was competitive.

You know how every wanna be street racer always seems to tell you he went through the ramps at 105mph and you look at him and think "impossible" in his mind he really thinks he did because he has nothing to gauge himself off of mean while you know you could have drove around him in grandmas station wagon

Someone definitely needs to lead the way It just may not be the best choice for someone just getting into racing.

It will be great if Dennis and John make the track and more may follow and in another 10 years there will be 6 ok just kidding

Either way Tom now knows he has 2 great groups of racers that will be willing to help in any way they can.

Quote Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
    Okay, I'm very very new to racing, but I hear that a lot, and I don't quite get it. I guess it depends upon what you want to get out of racing. I have had some of my best on-track "racing" with my old Reynard CF against someone in a FV (who is a better driver than me, but then again, most people are) on some of the more twisty tracks like Shenandoah with the FRCCA. He would pass me in the twisty sections, carrying more speed, smoother, better lines, etc., and then I would pass him in the straights. In my mind, that's good, clean, inexpensive, fun "racing". It should probably bother me than I can't run circles around him with the HP differential, but we both enjoy it, and I don't have much of a racing ego (thank goodness)
    Unfortunately the only thing that running with a FV is going to do is make you slower. It will force you to drive your CF differently. As you may think its a good thing it most likely driving him nuts and it effects both cars. Hanging with other CF or FF even for a lap or 2 will elevate your driving and eventually you will get closer and closer then you will only be passing Vs.
    Last edited by Mark Filip; 08.13.12 at 7:34 PM.
    Mark Filip

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4358

Quote Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
    This is much more about defining "racing". To me, the above description is "driving a race car" but not what I would call "racing". I expect Mark, Tiago, Dave, and Bill would agree with my interpretation. To others, that(above) is racing. To each is own. Lots of room for all to participate.

Tom may want to figure out what "racing" means to him. A visit to the race track is usually a good place to start.
    Last edited by problemchild; 08.13.12 at 7:51 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 62

Greg - Agreed, and well said. Defining ones goals, expectations, budget, etc. will certainly play a large part in what series / car makes sense for an individual.

Maybe in 15-20 years when I retire, I'll have the time and energy to do some real racing, for now, it's a good stress relief to tinker on the old car, and get some decent track time 5 or 6 weekends a year. Lapping at speed with other cars on the track is probably a better definition of my current exploits.

Back to the OP's question, after doing this now for 2 years in my CF, if I had to do it again, I would have more seriously considered an FST. Seems like pretty good value.

Tom - If Jim's book would be helpful, PM your physical address, and I'll send you my copy. It does have some excellent beginner type info in it.

Thread Information