Thread: Goodyear tires

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Default Goodyear tires

Has Goodyear officially stopped producing FV tires?

Brian

Liked: 0

Pat, at Comp. Tire East, told me goodyear FV tires should be available again around the time of the runoffs, but could not guarantee availability at the runoffs. They won't be anything new, just the same tires as before. I was told the FV tires were missed when setting the manurfacturing scedule at the factory, and wound up being last on the scedule, even though there weren't enough tires in inventory. Dale

Liked: 72

As I understand, the tires were classed by sales priorities and production schedules were established. Spec tires were given the highest priority and high sales volume tires were given a lower priority and were going to be produced at a lower frequency. The vee tire, which had a very low volume and priority, were intentionally not produced in 2012 and will be "reconsidered" in 2013.

This entire process has been very vague and GY has been less than committal about the future. SCCA has an official response on the web site and has been following this situation very closely.

Like others, I found out things had changed when I tried to order tires and was told "the accountants had made the decision." With all due respect to your vendor, unless things have changed since I last checked, I would not hold your breath waiting for new GY tires.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 5

Ask Stevan Davis about his experience with them.

They discontinued the F500 tires several years ago. The FA bias ply are real hard to get. And yet, they are expanding into SCCA Solo.

Jim

Liked: 200

Not to stir the pot back up, but this sounds like another good reason to move to a spec tire...just saying!
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Its not just FV having Goodyear problems. Production and GT cars are having similar problems.

http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13756

http://www.gt-racecar.com/forums/vie....php?f=1&t=335

Terry

Liked: 830

GY has a 'statement' on the SCCA website that specifies the tires that are not available ..
    http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=51081

Steve, FV80

Not to stir up the pot but this is exactly why you shouldn't have all your eggs in one basket.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    Not to stir up the pot but this is exactly why you shouldn't have all your eggs in one basket.
    So, how would you propose the FV competitors keep all of their eggs out of one purple colored basket?

Since we have virtually no control over the market, it will have to sort itself out. Since the corporate view of the world is so short sighted, it's unlikely that a more subjective or long term, business plan will ever take place. I really don't see any other tire manufacturer comming into vee racing. Hopefully GY will reconsider sometime in the future.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    Since we have virtually no control over the market, it will have to sort itself out. Since the corporate view of the world is so short sighted, it's unlikely that a more subjective or long term, business plan will ever take place.
    If the FV community can't affect a positive change in Goodyear or Hoosier's business plans then the FV community needs a long-term plan that fits into the corporate worlds' plans.

Somebody needs to make about 400 wheels with a FV center and the same offset in a 15 x 7 size...you won't have any FV tire shortages (street or race) for some time to come.

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    If the FV community can't affect a positive change in Goodyear or Hoosier's business plans then the FV community needs a long-term plan that fits into the corporate worlds' plans....
    Ditto
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 76

Did American Racer quit making FV tires?
    butch deer

Liked: 20

Somebody needs to make about 400 wheels with a FV center and the same offset in a 15 x 7 size...you won't have any FV tire shortages (street or race) for some time to come.

F1200 has that don't they?
    Mark Filip

Liked: 105

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    F1200 has that don't they?

Ours are 14" and made by Diamond Racing Wheels. They make us roughly 50 at a time.

If you haven't seen them, here is a link to the F1200 gallery, all the car's have them and the Falkens.

http://coburnphotographyca.smugmug.c...s/Formula-1200

Liked: 49

Must.. control... myself.. do.. not.. troll... aaaargh!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by butch deer View Post
    Did American Racer quit making FV tires?
    They don't make a tire that is competitive with the Hoosier. I loved racing on AR's, but it was the spec tire, so competiveness wasn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nbrigido View Post
    Ours are 14" and made by Diamond Racing Wheels. They make us roughly 50 at a time.

If you haven't seen them, here is a link to the F1200 gallery, all the car's have them and the Falkens.

http://coburnphotographyca.smugmug.c...s/Formula-1200
    Not many tire choices in 14". How many cars production cars sold each year with 14" wheels? How many race car classes race on 14s? What happens when Falken decides to cease production of that 14" tire? 15's will be around for a long time. Good street compounds, DOT-R compounds and race compounds available to fit a 15x7 wheel.

Not many tire choices in 14". How many cars production cars sold each year with 14" wheels? How many race car classes race on 14s? What happens when Falken decides to cease production of that 14" tire? 15's will be around for a long time. Good street compounds, DOT-R compounds and race compounds available to fit a 15x7 wheel.[/quote]

I don't see why a company like Diamond, could not make up some in 15", like they did for us in 14"? and they did it without massive volume.
    Last edited by nbrigido; 08.02.12 at 2:49 PM.

FF has a good tire/wheel set up or something real close to it - worth looking at.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim murphy View Post
    FF has a good tire/wheel set up or something real close to it - worth looking at.
    Yes, maybe like FST/FF tires. 20+% cheaper.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Liked: 174

You're stating the obvious &. good luck with that idea!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Three classes racing on the same tire? What a preposterous idea.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Yeah, but how much do the spec F1 tires cost?!!

(aaah, damn it, I tried so hard and just couldn't resist!)

Liked: 2

Default Fronts all around at least

Don't forget we want to swap around, flip, flop and rotate to the cords!

Maybe FF fronts on all for corners on a vee would make sense. Just sayin'...

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by fos View Post
    Maybe FF fronts on all for corners on a vee would make sense.
    Nope, gearing would be WAY to short (top speed of about 80 mph with a long box). Not to mention rear ride height issues.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Nope, gearing would be WAY to short (top speed of about 80 mph with a long box). Not to mention rear ride height issues.

Plus every single corner would be flat.

Liked: 2

Default What's a FF front then?

We have short rears/tall fronts already.
    Are the FF fronts shorter than the FV fronts?

I think the FF fronts are 20 inches tall, vs 22.5 for the vee rears or 21.5 for the short rears. Quick napkin type math tells me that the maximum speed on 20in tires would be 88.8% of the max speed on the current rears. I'd gladly run them at my local track, I run the short rears already and I could easily run even shorter tires

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    Yeah, but how much do the spec F1 tires cost?!!
    About 20% less than a set of FV tires. (2 fronts and 2 rears.)
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Liked: 76

So, how would you propose the FV competitors keep all of their eggs out of one purple colored basket?
    As I recall at one time or another M&H,Continental,Bridgestone,Dunlap,Firestone,Denma n,Mcreary,Midhelien have all made tires used on U.S. vees. If the market is thre perhaps one or more would rejoin the competition in addition to American Racer and Hoosier(maybe Goodyear). Cooper and Avon have made race tires for other classes perhaps they would come in. Tire companies come and go in racing. Competition drives the marketplace. (Isn,t this Mitt Romney's message?)
    butch deer

Contributing Member

If there was a market, the companies would already be there. If they aren't, it's because they do not see sufficient demand to enter the market. I think Goodyear's action tells the story.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 23

Tiago,
    Is that napkin from Chick-fil-A?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    If there was a market, the companies would already be there. If they aren't, it's because they do not see sufficient demand to enter the market. I think Goodyear's action tells the story.
    The FV size tire is almost unique in the race tire market. Change the tire to a FF size
    with corresponding wheel size and there are many more suppliers (and maybe lower prices) - numbers like votes have power. The FST guys have already done this so do a 2 year change-over to lower the conversion cost and start getting benefits where none exist now and it will only get worse in the future. Long term planning is called for.

Jim

Contributing Member

It's always an entertaining discussion, but this is a class that couldn't agree on adding 20 pounds to the minimum weight, let alone adopting a spec tire (despite the fact we already have a defacto spec tire), so changing to a completely different tire size with new wheels? Obama has a better chance of getting endorsed by the RNC.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    It's always an entertaining discussion, but this is a class that couldn't agree on adding 20 pounds to the minimum weight, let alone adopting a spec tire (despite the fact we already have a defacto spec tire), so changing to a completely different tire size with new wheels? Obama has a better chance of getting endorsed by the RNC.
    Then there will be a long term decline in entry numbers as the younger generation, as told to me by several of them, that the FV is old technology with skinny tires and they like better the other formula classes like FST, F600 (F5) or FF. The only solution to increase entries is an evolutionary process over to FST spec's with a bigger 1800cc(+?) motor to catch up to the FF's and F5/F6's so that there is no longer a major difference in lap times in this race group - a safety issue when the gap is large.

Liked: 190

I have a special emoticon just for occations like this......
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.01.14 at 6:29 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

to FST spec's with a bigger 1800cc(+?) motor to catch up to the FF's
    Nope. We (FST) are trying to keep costs down via available parts, low parts costs and engine longevity.

A 1600 maxes out that cocept. Bigger and you have introduced cooling issues, engine fitmant issues, far less longevity and enormous increases in cost. We are not trying to beat FF's. (Heck we aren't even trying to beat FV's ) We just wanted something more modern, cheaper, lasting longer and available parts. We accomplished that (and beat FV's). The only problem with FF's is that SOME of them get in our way.

We mix well with FF(CFF). They are typically faster on the straights and the same or faster in the corners. Safety issues occur when you mix cars that have significant differences in one or the other. Thus, they pass you on the straight and stop you in the next corner. Once in a while we run against a FF/CFF that does this.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Contributing Member

Then there will be a long term decline in entry numbers as the younger generation, as told to me by several of them, that the FV is old technology will
    I think the class is about 20 years into the downslope of that decline. Same old discussions, same old result. But it's not like I am disagreeing with you. I'm just pessimistic that any change is imminent no matter how eloquent the arguments are in favor of it. Beating a dead horse says it all.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    I have a special emoticon just for occations like this......
    I like !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    About 20% less than a set of FV tires. (2 fronts and 2 rears.)
    I think you mis-read my post, by a few thousand dollars at least

Anyway, this thread makes sense, but matters just about nothing.

Thread Information