Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daytona races

Liked: 1870

Default Daytona races

Well, there are supposedly going to be 3 races down at Daytona the weekend after the Runons.

Question: Of those going to the Runons, just who is going to have the time and energy available to drive 1300 miles and race the next weekend?

Liked: 23

Looked at the SEDIV website, and they only show a single regional at Daytona that weekend. Have there been any changes?

F1000champ

Initially scheduled for three races, the Central Florida Division added an enduro for the tin top cars and scaled back the number of races. Therefore, there will be two races. A 20 minute race and a 30 minute race.

F1000champ

Two rounds up next at Daytona for the Formula 1000 Championship Series

Rounds 5 & 6 of the Formula 1000 Championship Series will take place on September 29-30 at the Daytona International Speedway. Initially scheduled to be three rounds, the Division has added an enduro and scaled back the number of races during the weekend. The Series’ event entry fees have been lowered to $950 which includes regional event fees. The Series annual registration fees have also been lowered and single event registration is now free.

Over $7,500 in cash and prizes are up for grabs at Daytona including over $3,500 in cash, $4,000 in tires and a host of other contingency awards.

“We’ve successfully restructured the Championship to a sustainable level,” stated Series Director Jon Lewis. “All we need is four entrants to break even. If a driver was to win both races, they could take home over $3,000 in cash and awards. Come in second and you could take home over $2,000 in cash and awards and 3rd over $1,100. Not a bad pay day for a junior league Series.”

Cash awards will now be paid out to the drivers at the track, at the conclusion of the weekend. Lewis continued, “We feel it is important that our teams get their due awards right away, so they can use them towards their operating expenses.”

The remainder of the 2012 Formula 1000 Championship Series season will take place after the SCCA National Runoffs to enable those F1000 drivers the opportunity to focus on that Championship. “We have a lot of drivers who ran in our first two events working on the SCCA National Championship and we didn’t want participating in our Series to hinder their chances at winning the gold.”

“The Series is now structured to be sustainable, while we work to take care of our commitments from the first two events. Only through the continuing support of our teams and sponsors will we be successful in accomplishing that goal.”

The Formula 1000 Championship Series will continue after Daytona with events at Virginia International Raceway and Road Atlanta.

Liked: 84

Daytona with DSR/CSR's and FV in the same group......should be real fun.

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    Daytona with DSR/CSR's and FV in the same group......should be real fun.

Here is a short video of Brandon lapping a vee twice in a 10 minute warm up at Road Atlanta. Watch at 3:52 and 7:55 to get an idea of the speed differential

Expect higher closing speeds with a car set up for Daytona and against regional vees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY61IboTY9o

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

that sure looks safe. I can't imagine what would happen if a CSR/DSR slammed into the back of a vee at full speed

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

I've run the numbers, and I'm reasonably sure the closing speed would be less if the Vee were traveling in the opposite direction.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Valet View Post
    that sure looks safe. I can't imagine what would happen if a CSR/DSR slammed into the back of a vee at full speed
    Would that be a "bug splat"?

/sorry...had to
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 2

Default Regional Vees with FB, C and DSR?

Pretty irresponsible.

The club should have at a 110 percent qualifying rule for national races. Maybe 105 percent rule if including regional-level pilotos.

In the old days you saw the Vees take to the track with the Formula A and B cars... but those were also the days of open-face helmets, un-braced 16 ga mild steel roll hoops and no fuel cells... (Lots of people got hurt).

For all the current safety conservatism, you'd think this area would have been addressed by the club a long time ago.

There is no more Nationals at Daytona. The entry list for IT cars running the enduro(s) AND their regional group is substantial. They get the lion's share of track time, but they are also mostly paying for the event. This leaves the organizers cramming all the formula/SR classes into one group.

Face it- without these guys, racing at Daytona would probably be history.

F1000champ

There's no doubt that the closing speeds of a FB/FV are going to be significant. Maybe not as great as when we were running GTP at the Daytona 24 and had to deal with GTU cars. We would be exiting NASCAR 2 and a GTU would be entering the chicane and we were on their butt by the end of the chicane. But that said, its always the overtaking driver's responsibility to make the pass safely. Not any different than any other mixed class racing.

We ran Alex Mayer in our car at Charlotte and there were a few FV's in the mix. Sure, we lapped the FV's several times, but Alex was smart in his execution and its really wasn't an issue.

The one good thing about Daytona is that there is lot's of room to make a pass. This is the main reason why we opted to cancel Sebring short course for VIR, where we will have our own run group. It would be great if we were to have our own run group at Daytona, but its not in the cards. We will have a split start so it will give time for the field to spread out. I know, its not the ideal situation, but its what we have to work with as we work to get the Series back on track.

Jon, do you have any entries yet?

F1000champ

John,

I have three at this time, but its still very early. Race is almost two months away.

[FONT=Calibri]I was originally going to send you a PM but decided maybe the best thing for you and everyone else is to write you publically. I just bought an FB car (taking delivery today) initially to run in your series. But since your series has taken a turn for the worse. You failed to meet you obligations and owe everyone of the drivers (and whoever else) . **** happens, some bad decisions and bad partners can put you in the jackpot pretty quick, I get it. I recently had to sell my RV to pay a friend back because my partner screwed up big time. I did what I had to do because I would let my problem become my friends problem. I gave him my word and I followed through with my obligations. But what I don’t get and is hard for me (and everyone else) to swallow is reading your post above talking about $7500 in cash and prizes at this Daytona race. I don’t get it. How can you offer cash and prizes when you still owe everyone cash and prizes for the past races. It reminds me of a friend that I loaned money, I asked for it back after a year and he told me he didn’t have it as he was packing his family for a 2 week vacation to Europe.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]I planned on going to the Daytona race as a local SCCA member but I can’t in good conscious compete in your series while I know you still owe my friends money. I can tell you that just about everyone in the FB community feels the same. I can also tell you that most of the people in the FB community stills wants this series to work and would support it in the future if you get everyone paid up and fix whatever issues you have.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]I was always told that the true measure of a man isn’t whether you fall down but if you get back up on your feet. Get everyone paid and I for one will race in your events. If you don’t I’d suggest you pack it up. I'm not trying to be a douche but maybe you need to sell your RV (m[FONT=Calibri]etaphorically [/FONT]speaking). Come on man get this fixed, nothing American's love more than to see someone rise from the ashes![/FONT]

F1000champ

John, Interesting comment. The fact is I am working very hard to take care of the Series past commitments. If I had an RV (metiphorically speaking) to sell, I'd do so. The fact is I don't. It doesn't take a neuro surgeon to figure out where our prize fund for Daytona is coming from. $3,500 in cash is coming from the entry fees, of which we only need 4 entrants, $4,000 in tires from Goodyear. Its not like I'm spending money we don't have. If we had 12 entries, we'd have a net surplus of $5,600 which would enable us to start paying back some of the prize fund or at least the tow fund from previous events.

The fact is I was let down by promises made to me, which resulted in the Series letting down its competitors. But, only through the continuation of this Series and me securing the proper sponsorship funding are we going to be able to take care of our Mosport and New Jersey prize funds. I'm not saying its right. I'm just stating the facts. So go ahead, don't support the Series. But is doing so, you're not doing anyone any favors.

Default JohnPaul ---

It may just be that there is a contractual lock on this stuff. That is, a certain sponsor agrees to pay X dollars to publically sponsor X event at X facility on X date (which he does for his own promotional reasons)... and that's his deal with the series, quite simply.

So perhaps, in deciding where the money goes (and for what) the promoter's hands may be tied (contractually). The new dollars might be specifically dedicated to a specific event. Not sure of this -- maybe Jon can ellaborate. Your question is a fair one.

F1000champ

Contracts with sponsors clearly lay out what the obligations are. For X amount of sponsorship money the Series will provide X amount of inventory. As long as the Series provides all the inventory as specified, if their are excess funds available, those funds can go wherever the Series chooses. This is the profit margin. This profit margin can be used towards prior commitments or wherever the Series deems necessary.

Very simplified example:
    If the Series agrees to provide;
    - Incorporation of company logo in Series logo
    - Logo and hyperlink on Series website
    - Series logo on all cars and driver uniforms

and charges a Sponsorship fee of $25,000

if the above inventory costs $5,000, there is a $20,000 profit. This profit can be used for anything the Series deems necessary to make the Series stronger.

Hence, why it is important that we continue the Series and secure a major sponsor. The profit margin can be used to take care of our earlier prize fund issues and get the Championship back on track.

I constantly hear everyone say they'd like to see the Series succeed. Maybe instead of having the position of "Pay up or I won't play" and instead offering ways in which to help the Series succeed and supporting it is a better use of time and energy. I'm not a rich man. If I were, I'd take it out of my own money. I'm a little guy who had an idea and started a Series. It's not an easy task to do on your own. But, its a commitment I made. I've heard nothing but complaints on here about the prize fund. I was let down, plain and simple. I can't pull it out of my A**. Enough said. So maybe, just maybe, someone out there might have an idea of how we can make it better. I'm all ears when it comes to suggestions. But let's focus on how we can make the Series succeed in a positive way. Negativity does no one any good.
    Last edited by F1000champ; 07.31.12 at 1:15 PM.

Liked: 3787

Posted on Apexspeed July 11, 2012 @ 6:30 pm by Jon Lewis:

This will be my last post on Apex Speed. Although I believe this site is an excellent forum for information and selling products, there are alot of individuals on here that either have no direct connection to F1000 that offer opinions based on knowledge they don't have.

F1000champ

Well EXCUSE ME!!!!

Again, another poster who has no balls in the game and nothing constructive to offer. This is why its so hard to get anything done on a forum.

Liked: 120

"Again, another poster who has no balls in the game and nothing constructive to offer."

He also hasn't bull****ted anyone in his 7264 posts.

Well maybe once or twice only after a couple of cold ones.....

The sooner you stop blaming this forum and realize the responsibility for lies and bad debt rests solely on yourself, not on Mr. Eakin or any other poster, the sooner you can attempt to build some credibility. OBTW, I sold my ball because you ruined the game, so give that tired attempt at deflection a rest.

[FONT=Calibri]Jon, people did wish the series success (maybe not so much you personally), but God helps those who help themselves (I’m sure you heard that one before). You want people to support your series and bail you out by paying $500 more than SCCA is charging for the same exact races? Just so you can get extra money to pay the people back that should have been paid from the registration and sponsorship proceeds from the first two races?? I don’t think that is going to happen. You are a big boy and you need to bail yourself out of this one. No RV to sell? how about those fancy watches?[/FONT]

F1000champ

See, this is why its not constructive to post on here. Everyone has their own agenda.

All of us have balls in the game. Your series hurt participation numbers, putting FB as a national class at risk.

And don't keep saying someone screwed you. Smart money says you never had the dough in the first place.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by F1000champ View Post
    See, this is why its not constructive to post on here. Everyone has their own agenda.

It would seem if your agenda was to make right with those wronged that's where your efforts would be concentrated...

This Daytona carrot seems to be an effort to wring a few extra bucks from those still with skin in the game. What's your plan with the Daytona purse if the entry fees don't cover it? Of course you did say "could" take home, not "will" take home....what will you do if with the fees collected if the entries went to 12?

F1000champ

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    [FONT=Calibri]Jon, people did wish the series success (maybe not so much you personally), but God helps those who help themselves (I’m sure you heard that one before). You want people to support your series and bail you out by paying $500 more than SCCA is charging for the same exact races? Just so you can get extra money to pay the people back that should have been paid from the registration and sponsorship proceeds from the first two races?? I don’t think that is going to happen. You are a big boy and you need to bail yourself out of this one. No RV to sell? how about those fancy watches?[/FONT]
    JP, You can't go home with $3,000 in cash and prizes for just the regional fee at Daytona. And, the watches? They're for the Champion and the Crew Chief of the Year.

Oh, and we have 4 entries now, so the prize money is secure.

Registration and sponsorship proceeds from the first race? Do the math. Mosport cost over $26,000 to do alone (without the prize fund). 13 entries at $1,200/ea = $15,600. Sponsorship we have is all in product, not cash. Without our backers financial support, where do you expect the funds to come from.

F1000champ

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    It would seem if your agenda was to make right with those wronged that's where your efforts would be concentrated...

This Daytona carrot seems to be an effort to wring a few extra bucks from those still with skin in the game. What's your plan with the Daytona purse if the entry fees don't cover it? Of course you did say "could" take home, not "will" take home....what will you do if with the fees collected if the entries went to 12?
    Use it to payout Mosport and New Jersey prize fund and tow monies.

"Could take home" because the amount depends on whether you take the pole, or win the hard charger award. Amounts will vary on exactly what you win.

F1000champ

Default Daytona

Does it cost more to run in our series than it does just in the regional? Yes it does. Around $500 more. But take into consideration the following;

If you run in the regional you have the opportunity to win a plastic trophy and race against maybe 1 or two other cars in your class.

If you run in our series, you have the opportunity to win over $3,000 in cash and prizes. If you even came in 3rd in both races you'd take home at least $1,100 in cash and prizes. Maybe more if you won the hard charger award.

You run in a split start, not with the other classes and you get to race with alot more cars.

The cost of travel, hotels, expenses are the same. The only difference is the entry fee.

So you have to ask yourself, is it worth it? If you're a wanker and have no shot at being in the top three, maybe not.

Liked: 7

Default Wanker?

Jon, I know exactly what I am and where I stand in the small formula car world but if you want more wankers like me to show up and pay the bill you might want to change your wording a little bit.

Jerry

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by F1000champ View Post
    So you have to ask yourself, is it worth it? If you're a wanker and have no shot at being in the top three, maybe not.
    That's just a crappy attempt from a promotor challenging the egos of those who haven't parted with their entry fee. Hoping your ego will overrule your common sense and you'll whip out your checkbook.

Enter the race because you want to race at Daytona against 3 or 4 other FB's and like your chances of getting a set of tires for $400.

Liked: 14

" If your a wanker ".... are you friggen kidding me ? And just how much money do you owe to people ? how about less insults and more restitution. Thats just classless from a guy who came here telling everyone he was a true professional and has since used a hand shake and not a contract to firm up sponsorship funding, lied about receiving and cashing the money needed to pay for Mosport, and blamed this forum in private emails that were then posted for his own failures as a business man. I am sorry , how do you define wanker again ?
    Last edited by KevinFirlein; 07.31.12 at 4:52 PM. Reason: speling
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

You wankers need to stop pushing your agendas.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Kevin,
    I believe any accurate definition of wanker has a picture of me or Frog nearby.Or more generally refers to someone who persists at an activity for which they have no skill. Hey wait you might be on to something.

Okay, before we get moderated, I'd like to steer the discussion back to a more productive direction. I have a few suggestions.

1.) Why is Brandon lifting in T1? Refer to the video posted by Wren. I hope it doesn't keep him awake at night.

2.) Jimmy Oseth is 66.

3.) Purple Frog has never had good pork barbecue.

Default Accurate Definition od Wanker

Jim,
    A few years ago at one of Butch Kummer's "Wanker Runoffs", the picture of pure-wankerness was captured for all time.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.03.12 at 2:33 PM.

Liked: 43

Who said the color purple isn't slimming!

Name the people. Who is the guy with with two right hand fingers in the air and the left hand stinky pinky? And who is the guy with the frown? Otherwise, why the frown?

PS. In hindsight, did I go too far with the stinky pinky thing? I apologize in advance.
    Ken

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

On the left, that'd be the one, the only, SCCA FC National winna, and recipient of one of Apexspeed's most incredible "Rise from the wreckage at the Runoffs" via the most incredible showing of support this side of an extra large "jacque" - Mike "Purple Frog" Eakin, husband of one helluva lens-person in Janice.

On the right a guy who races an old Swift FC. He goes OK, not sure if he's a National winna, but never-the-less a nicer fella you'll have a tough time finding.
    One day he puts his kid in the car, complete w/ old school Justin Beiber haircut. Turns out the "Genes are strong in this one" and the kid goes on to win the F2000 Championship series in short order. No story of Jim Morgan would be complete w/o mentioning his progeny, Cole.

The gentleman in the blue suit is the world reknown rough drivin' cheating Irish lawyer/home builder from Lighthouse Point Florida. None other than ... Jim Morgan. Now, only known as Carly's father-in-law.
    See post #34 above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information