Liked: 0

Default Building a F600 chassis from home

Hi Im 15 and would like to build my own chassis. My dad works at a machine shop so materials are not a problem, and I think I'm comptent in the design deparment. I would also like to make it myself because then I could custom fit the cockpit and chassis design to my liking. One question though where would you get elastomeric pucks.

Thanks Jacob

Liked: 111

material can be had at mcmaster carr
    urethane sheet cut to rounds or round stock cut to thickness

what is the lowest ride hieght because I can't find it in the rules. I think its 2.5 inches but can some one verify that. And thanks for that website very helpful

Ride height is as low as you dare to go, 80inch wheelbase, 55 inch max track. You can find the material requirements in the GCR at SCCA.com.

Liked: 111

By some of these questions, I have to ask how much F500/F600 experience you have. I don't mean that disrespectfully. There are a lot of design considerations for one of these cars to make them work well (or even safely).

Liked: 1

Good luck, there's a lot to consider. If you haven't already, try and put eyes on one locally to study the design. Some cars are a little better thought out than others.

Liked: 57

The best place to start is the rule book:
    http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44472

Read through it all, but focus on the F600 section in the back. Then I'd strongly suggest you find an F500 or F600 near by if you can and take a good look at existing designs. It will save you a ton of re-work and frustration!!

Have fun with it!!
    George Bugg
    -----------------------------
    NovaKar
    F600

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    By some of these questions, I have to ask how much F500/F600 experience you have. I don't mean that disrespectfully. There are a lot of design considerations for one of these cars to make them work well (or even safely).
    Since Jacob says he is 15 years old...I'm guessing not much.

Jacob, just go for it! The first time you finish an event in a car you designed and built yourself, no matter how fast or slow, you will be on top of the world. And I guarantee every other driver in your group will be patting you on the back and shaking your hand!

Remember, every great racing car designer started right where you are.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Yes Jacob, if you're like me you've been building karts, minibikes, ect. from the time you were old enough to turn a wrench & swing a hammer, so like Stan said, "go for it". Remember, "The difference between men & boys is the size of their toys!"
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Thanks for the support and soliditfying some of my questions.Experiance in building an actual car absolute 0. But I think I have enough knowledge in the saftey and design aspect of building a chassis. I was thinking something like the early novakar f600 chassis designDSCN7758.jpg or something simple like this. Like I said before my dad works as a machinest so I can get the steel and such for 50% off, which is one of the reason also for attemping this project. Would it also be possible to do this for under 4-5k, because then if someone like me can do this it would kind of be like opening a new door in inexpensive racing.. I woud be using a lot novakar body work and such.

Again Thanks
    Jacob

Oh and I forgot I am mechanically inclined. I've been working on cars with my dad in the drive way since I was about 5.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob280zx View Post
    Thanks for the support and soliditfying some of my questions.Experiance in building an actual car absolute 0. But I think I have enough knowledge in the saftey and design aspect of building a chassis. I was thinking something like the early novakar f600 chassis designDSCN7758.jpg or something simple like this. Like I said before my dad works as a machinest so I can get the steel and such for 50% off, which is one of the reason also for attemping this project. Would it also be possible to do this for under 4-5k, because then if someone like me can do this it would kind of be like opening a new door in inexpensive racing.. I woud be using a lot novakar body work and such.

Again Thanks
    Jacob
    If you don't already, learn to use some type of solid modeling 3d cad program and build your car there first. You'll save yourself a lot of time.

I was thinking of using google sketch up to build my base plans. I am also going to find out the weight o the fuel cell and such to find out how much the chassis it self is going to have to weigh.

Gbugg I have been doing that which helps a ton.

fatdaddy53, hs also suggested that I get a f500 chassis and convert it. Would anyone have or know of anybody selling a bare f500 chassis in Seattle or Vancouver, B.C?

Again Thanks
    Jacob
    I was thinking of using google sketch up to build my base plans. I am also going to find out the weight o the fuel cell and such to find out how much the chassis it self is going to have to weigh.
    I've been using solidworks to model my car and do various small projects. The educational version is very inexpensive.

I'll look into that. I took a look at the novakar parts price list and checking out components I cannot make myself and the price is over 3k help on findig parts cheaper if possible like brake rotors and calipers, fuel cell, steering rack and box, wheels and hubs, body work, etc.

Liked: 896

Go for it Jacob. I doubt if you can do it for $4-5K, but you can buy used parts wherever possible and that will help big time.

I also suggest that you do not do this project without doing drawings or 3d models. Doing it without drawings or models will result in lots of do-overs and mods.

This will be a fantastic project and will result in many great experiences for you. Good luck and do not surrender!

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Liked: 5

fatdaddy53, hs also suggested that I get a f500 chassis and convert it. Would anyone have or know of anybody selling a bare f500 chassis in Seattle or Vancouver, B.C?
    Another approach is to offer to buy a stripped down F500 chassis with the owner keeping all the snowmobile stuff which he can then sell separately probably for more money.

HTH,
    Jim

Yeah Jim if anyone is willing to take out the running gear that would save a lot of money. And if anyone is selling any used parts in the Seattle area send me a message

I'm also thinking of just doing solo events first just to get started. Then build up enough skill and confidence while I get enough money to take it to the road courses

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Jacob..................absolutely GO FOR IT !

i am away from my library but will recommend some design sources within a week

Thread Information