Thread: Cowboy CAT

Liked: 9

Default Cowboy CAT

Only 7 FF's registered so far....what gives???
    Currently Without Car

Liked: 36

Anyone know the approximate time of the FF race?
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Liked: 447

EDIT: According to the schedule it looks like it will start in a half hour.

EP, STU, etc have two laps to go. Then the *SR race, then the FF and FE race.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Thanks

Liked: 0

I am not the best observer or most informed reporter on the Cowboy Cat.

Here is what I have:
    1. Kautz (in Q2, 93F, he was just a tick off his track record)
    2. Hazleton
    3. Blanc
    4. Wheatcroft
    5. Midgley
    6. Acock
    then Drake and Murray I believe
    Rubenzer DNS gearbox; Bartz DNS clutch

The start was peculiar, so peculiar that I was a bit surprised that we got the green. The field sped up - and stretched out - before the green. Marc got his usual great start - only fell back when he dropped wheels exiting 6 early in the going. Last I saw of the leaders, Reid was in front, so I don't know when/how Tim, who was on pole, re-took the lead. I couldn't stay with Marc and, as I did almost the entire weekend, ran around alone.

Note: It was 90F or so at race time, late morning. In the past 2 weeks, I have run maybe a half dozen sessions in hotter conditions than I've ever run in the past. The 25s do not like the 90s, that's my conclusion.

Liked: 13

Default Results

Quote Originally Posted by Allen_W View Post
    I am not the best observer or most informed reporter on the Cowboy Cat.

Here is what I have:
    1. Kautz (in Q2, 93F, he was just a tick off his track record)
    2. Hazleton
    3. Blanc
    4. Wheatcroft
    5. Midgley
    6. Acock
    then Drake and Murray I believe
    Rubenzer DNS gearbox; Bartz DNS clutch
    Isn't Bartz in a Van Diemen Honda now? Anyone have any information on the clutch problem?

Quote Originally Posted by BWC54 View Post
    Isn't Bartz in a Van Diemen Honda now? Anyone have any information on the clutch problem?
    Yes, Honda. I am not 100% sure it was clutch (that's what I heard in the paddock - didn't get a chance to chat with Jeff or his father). Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrooms View Post
    I saw your car - with someone else in it! Hope to catch up later in the summer, John.

Liked: 20

Default Bartz clutch issue

As I understand a long bobbin was putting pressure on the clutch plate. It was machined and upon reinstallation the pilot bearing was unknowingly damaged. After the 2nd qualifier the car was split again which reavealed that problem. After a new pilot bearing was located in Milwaukee it was installed and the input shaft was found to be bent, probably due to the failed bearing during the last session. Tom, please correct me if my account in not accurate.

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hazelton View Post
    As I understand a long bobbin was putting pressure on the clutch plate. It was machined and upon reinstallation the pilot bearing was unknowingly damaged. After the 2nd qualifier the car was split again which reavealed that problem. After a new pilot bearing was located in Milwaukee it was installed and the input shaft was found to be bent, probably due to the failed bearing during the last session. Tom, please correct me if my account in not accurate.
    Your correct. What happened was when we put in the new clutch we didnt use an alignment tool and we were not splined properly. Right before the car slipped back together we heard a big POP and we beleive that was the pilot bearing breaking. After we had it all together, I took it around the pits and found that when i revved up the engine and put the cutch in a heard a nasty grinding. I was paranoid about it so my dad took it around the pits and he heard nothing. When we went out I could tell something was wrong from the beginning because there was a vibration that matched my rpms. At first, I though maybe the wheels weren't balanced because we put on the new tires but i knew it wasn't that after a couple of laps. I tried to radio in to my dad telling him what was wrong but he never heard me... becuase he never put his antenna on his radio. So eventually the car wasn't doing what I liked anymore so I came in for a change. When i came in i found that my clutch was non existent and that was the end of our weekedn essentially. We got a pilot bearing from John Vlasis thinking that it was that but we bent the input shaft and broke another pilot bearing when we put the car back together. Overall a very dissapointing weekend, as I felt the car was starting to really handle the way I wanted it to. The full rebuild in between the Sprints and the Cat really helped. Oh well off to Blackhawk in two weeks! See you all there!

Thread Information