Liked: 8

Default Gingerman National July 7-8, 2012

Does anyone have the results for the Gingerman National?

Thank You.
    Alex

Liked: 22

Saturday.

1.Loughead
    2.McCormick C
    3.McCormick S
    4.Jennerjahn
    5Abbott A
    6.Varacins
    7.Delaney
    8.Richter
    9.Landon
    DNF Abbott B
    DNF Satterley
    DNF Bowman
    DNF Bellingham

Sunday

1.Loughead
    2.Jennerjahn
    3.Abbott A
    4.Bowman
    5.Bellingham
    6.Richter
    7.Varacins
    DNF Satterley
    DNF Landon
    DNF McCormick S
    DNF McCormick C
    DNS Abbott B
    DNS Delaney.

Liked: 174

What happen to the DNF's and DNS's on both Sat. and Sun.?

Thanks!

Mark

An F500 spun in the first corner of the Saturday race, I took to the grass to avoid him, cutting a tire on the outside of the curbing as I returmed to the track. I nursed the car back to the paddock and changed the tire, but was not allowed back on the track.

I believe David Satterly and Kerry Bowman tangled and I'm not sure what happened to Brandon Abbott.

I know Stu Delaney had car problems, so I'm guessing that having qualified for the Run-Offs chose to sit out the Sunday race.

Michael Varicins was leading both races, but incidents right at end of both races caused him to drop back. I am not sure of the full story or the other DNFs.

I'll have to let the others fill in the gaps.

Liked: 19

Mark,

see if i can answer.......

Sat. B. Abbott we broke a trans.
    Satterley, lost a engine
    Bowman, No brakes
    Bellingham, umm not sure didnt get a chance to talk to Guy

Sunday,

Satterley, lost another engine
    Landon Not sure
    McCormick S exhaust problem ?
    McCormick C engine problem
    Abbott B no spare trans.
    Delaney. went home saturday
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Do you know what happened to Satterley's engine(s)?

Chris

Liked: 174

Thanks Guy and Terry!

That's a shame for Dave...two engines in one weekend..

Sorry to hear about the rest of you guys...

Mark

92' protoform P-1 / 004

Liked: 1

Dave's DNF on saturday was actually from getting sideswiped by Bowman, we did lose the engine in qualifying on sunday, appears to be rod bolt failure.The second engine was a older engine that we have not run in awhile do not know what caused the noises in that engine yet.

Liked: 0

Default In-car from Satterley's view

Video of the Saturday incident
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gTRw...1&feature=plcp

Video of the Start of Saturday's race,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCrXu...fuftodlkw2QOVg

Thank you for posting the video of the start.

Now I know how I incurred the rear damage and it looks like I owe Mike Landon an apology. I didn't realise until I reached turn two that I had no air in my front left tire and understeered straight off.

Liked: 8

Thank you all for the race results. Bad luck about the start and all the DNFs but it is good to see large FV turnouts at nationals this year, in the Great Lakes Division.

Hopefully, Grattan on Aug. 11 - 12 will also have good attendance.

Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
    An F500 spun in the first corner of the Saturday race, I took to the grass to avoid him, cutting a tire on the outside of the curbing as I returmed to the track. I nursed the car back to the paddock and changed the tire, but was not allowed back on the track.

<snip>

I'll have to let the others fill in the gaps.
    Why were you not allowed back onto the track?
    John Ferreira
    FV 15

Liked: 834

Quote Originally Posted by nhJohn View Post
    Why were you not allowed back onto the track?
    He went back to the PADDOCK. Once "behind the wall", you cannot reenter the track. You can come in to the PITS - no further - no paddock.

Steve, FV80

Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    He went back to the PADDOCK. Once "behind the wall", you cannot reenter the track. You can come in to the PITS - no further - no paddock.

Steve, FV80
    So, I am presuming this is a "safety" rule?
    or is it other?

The resason I ask, is we (us members, organization) are trying to keep and gain members. A rule that prohibts you from chagning a tire in your pits (as some of us do come alone) is not a help to the cause...
    A new person (just to SCCA racing) just asking the "why"?
    john
    John Ferreira
    FV 15

Liked: 834

I can't say FOR SURE "WHY".. but the general thinking is that someone could go out and run "most of" the race with "something illegal" .. come into the paddock and "fix" it and then go back out to take the checker. The same reason that the GCR says you must proceed DIRECTLY to impound at the end of the race (and NOT deviate through your paddock space first).

Regardless of the reason, it's *THE RULE* .. and has been for at least the last 35 years...

Steve, FV80

Liked: 202

You can return to the paddock, but you have to get permission from a steward (Operating or Chief) and be accompanied by a Pit & Grid worker. The reason (at least during qualifying) is because someone COULD set a blistering lap with a non-compliant car, go back to the paddock and make it compliant, then return to the track and still get credit for that lap. And like the Rules of Golf, the reason that rule is there is because someone did just that in the past.

This was certainly an extenuating circumstance and there's no doubt permission would have been granted, but unfortunately you DO need to ask before doing so (and then be sure the person you're talking to really DID get permission from the applicable steward).
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 3787

I completely understand the reason for the rule. (In pro racing we expect that entrants will have sufficent crew.)

That does not mean it is good for some club racers. I brought this up at the Road Atlanta drivers meeting last weekend, after the debacle at the June Sprints I thought a ruling would be good before the fact.

The answer was they were sticking to the "no paddock" rule. If you thought you may need rain tires, then it was the competitor's responsibility to stage everything in the pits before the session. They might "stretch" the 15 minute period to give us a break. OK...

But... i was racing solo. And, i had no golf cart, no hand truck, just feet. Now this is Road Atlanta... or Road Hotlanta... it was 100 on the thermometer under my canopy. How many trips up and down the steep ramps to carry 4 wheels, jacks, and tools?

Right. Then if it doesn't rain, or even if it does, i would have to hand carry all that stuff back up the ramps.

Bottom line. If it rained... i was screwed.

I'm not saying the rule is bad. But, the unintended consequence of such a rule in "club" racing could be negative for a regional racer.

OBTW... how many scrutineers were they going to post out in the rain along pit lane to make sure i didn't fiddle with my mandatory rev limiting chip? In pro racing we have about 5, and i'm not sure we could catch a good sneaky team.

Not saying its a bad rule... but.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

Whether its a rule or not, its application to a crewless competitor running in the rain, is purely stupid. Next time, he can sit in the rain for 15 mins, and then continue on slicks in the rain when the race restarts. That will teach him a lesson!

In this case, considering Guy's race was over from any competitive posture, if he wanted to go back out, let him.
    Last edited by problemchild; 07.17.12 at 9:47 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 3787

It is CLUB racing... for a $5 trophy.

The problem that reared its ugly head at the Sprints, and would have at Atlanta:

What if you put the rain tires on, and the car is now resting on the pavement?
    My rain tires require raising the front 1/4" to get the same ride height as the slicks had.

There has been discussion to maybe allow ride height changes during declared rain race black flags.

In the pro ranks this is easy. There is no declared "rain race". No black flag because it starts raining (competitors choice whether they want to come in and change tires). If the session was black flagged for corner worker safety, no working on the cars until it goes green.
    Simple.

I have been away for a week on vacation (& from the internet), so have only just seen how this thread has developed.

As you can see from the above video, I had a flat by corner two of the first lap. I nursed the car round the rest of the lap and having no pit crew, I could only return to my trailer, where, aided by the crew parked next to me, changed a tire in double-quick time and presented myself at pit exit. The race was still under full course yellow and I believed I could complete enough laps to be considered a finisher and earn points. It was at this point I learnt about rule 6.2.2.

6.2.2. Retiring to the Paddock
    A car that retires to the paddock during its qualifying session, and then returns to the track automatically forfeits qualifying times earned before retiring. A car that retires to the paddock from the pits or the track during its race may not return to the track unless the Supplemental Regulations or the Chief Steward specify.

Although the Pit Marshalls asked for the Chief Stewards permissions for me to return to the race, it was not given to that was the end of my race.

I later discussed the incident with the Stewards, who were keen to explain why the rule was in place, but unable to satisfactorily explain why the Chief Steward’s permission was not given. A mix up in communication it would seem, as they agreed – when it was too late – that under the circumstances I should have been allowed to rejoin the race.

The price of an education, I suppose.

Guy.

Thread Information