Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying times

Liked: 2

Default There IS a pro series solution ---

-- that no one probably wants to hear. But it's this:

Run some races at the short paved ovals... like the USAC Midgets do. Midget racing has supported itself and run continually since the 1930s with only one break -- for WWII.

The reason the oval shows work and (lower level) pro road racing doesn't, is that a short track attracts the paying customer. It attracts him (and his family) becuase he can see the whole show from his seat in the grandstand, get a cold beet and some warm food just a few feet away, and have an announcer tell him all the exciting things that are going on.

It's the oldest formula in the books. And heck -- at some of the longer (5/8ths and up) tracks you could use the infield and put on a little road-course show.

I've wondered for years why no one's tried putting formula cars into the Saturday Night Under the Lights milieu. I know it ain't very Grand Prix in feel... but it sure would pay some of the freight... and make formula car racing in America something more than just a damned expensive hobby.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Folks,
    It really is simple. Its all in the numbers.

To put on any specialized single class event, with a reasonable amount of track time, It takes at least 20 entries paying a LOT more than an average SCCA National entry. 24 entries is closer to a real number. That gets you a good amount of track time, a podium with trophies costing more than $5, and some fairly decent blasts out to the media. No travel money, no live or semi-live TV coverage, no sexy models holding up grid placards... As an entrant you get a highly competitive event, where you are not weaving through a mixed class field, that will demand everything of you as much as a Runoff race.

Want to race at a big spectator event? (ALMS, IndyCar, Grand Am, F1, etc.) Add a bunch more to the entry fee. $$$$ Expect to qualify at 8 am, and race at 6 pm, with a 2 mile drive from your paddock to grid. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't F1600 @ Canadian GP entry fee something like $2,750? With a gravel paddock. How many of you are going to toe up to that line?

If you can't grid 20 to 24 cars consistently, then somebody has to write a check to cover the costs that the entry doesn't cover. OBTW, the track managers talk to each other, #2 knows if you didn't pay #1.
    The Frog has summed up things pretty well. Any questions?

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    The Frog has summed up things pretty well. Any questions?
    Yeah. How did Frog et al. who are explaining obvious facts and simple arithmetic never learn the difference between "ideal" and "real."

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by DonArm View Post
    It does appear that there is some interest
    26 people now viewing.
    Maybe Shadow Beverage Group, Ltd. will get involved and help get the series rolling in a big way.
    Don,

We are in constant communication with Mike B. about involvement. Time will tell.

Kind Regards
    SBG

Default Race schedule that would

be interesting. If you went from this years F2000 schedule the venues I would of like to see the F1000 cars at would of been.

VIR
    Road Atlanta
    Mid Ohio
    Watkins Glen

But we will see.

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Crowe View Post
    I've wondered for years why no one's tried putting formula cars into the Saturday Night Under the Lights milieu. I know it ain't very Grand Prix in feel... but it sure would pay some of the freight... and make formula car racing in America something more than just a damned expensive hobby.
    It's been done. I think everyone got tired of writing off cars and sending people to the hospital.

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Folks,
    It really is simple. Its all in the numbers.

To put on any specialized single class event, with a reasonable amount of track time, It takes at least 20 entries paying a LOT more than an average SCCA National entry. 24 entries is closer to a real number. That gets you a good amount of track time, a podium with trophies costing more than $5, and some fairly decent blasts out to the media. No travel money, no live or semi-live TV coverage, no sexy models holding up grid placards... As an entrant you get a highly competitive event, where you are not weaving through a mixed class field, that will demand everything of you as much as a Runoff race.

Want to race at a big spectator event? (ALMS, IndyCar, Grand Am, F1, etc.) Add a bunch more to the entry fee. $$$$ Expect to qualify at 8 am, and race at 6 pm, with a 2 mile drive from your paddock to grid. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't F1600 @ Canadian GP entry fee something like $2,750? With a gravel paddock. How many of you are going to toe up to that line?

If you can't grid 20 to 24 cars consistently, then somebody has to write a check to cover the costs that the entry doesn't cover. OBTW, the track managers talk to each other, #2 knows if you didn't pay #1.

Speaking of Sugar Daddies...

Tracks scheduling dates want payment way in advance. They aren't real friendly about handing out credit. So, you will need someone to write a big check (that won't bounce) MONTHS in advance to secure a date.

So there it is in a cam cover. Can you drag out 20 to 24 cars on a regular basis that will ante up pro racing fees?

If you can't.... You have to hope you can at least get minimum entry numbers so SCCA will maintain you as a national class... so at least you have the Runoffs.

I raced last years F1600 support race at the GP in Montreal. Frog is right about the track time, paddock parking, cost was about $1600.00 I believe, not the $2750 but still a lot of money. No overnight camping with hotel fees at $800.00 a night for that weekend in Montreal. It was fun to say I experienced it however it was a bucket list deal, I did not go back this year for it.

All high profile events like that send you out early to scrub the track & have your races when it works for the promoters...lets face it, why wouldn't they.

For myself it was an experience however I find it much better to race regular events, triple the track time & no hassles. I don't have to be in my car an hour before our scheduled track time at regular events.

Some people love those events, I prefer to spend time in my car rather then watching others. Call me selfish.
    Steve Bamford

Default Just posted on eFormulacar News...

The Formula 1000 Championship Series has announced it is going through a restructuring of its 2012 schedule, including the cancellation of the upcoming east-west shootout event at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

Recently, the F1000 Championship lost its private backing, forcing it to postpone some of the high-profile events on the originally posted schedule. The series is looking to replace those events with some more cost-effective SCCA National events, so that competitors may also use the events towards earning an invitation to the prestigious SCCA National Runoffs.

The much acclaimed east-west shootout event at Mid-Ohio slated for August 3-4 with the IndyCar Series has also been cancelled. The loss of the series' financial backing, coupled with low car counts, prompted its demise. The event was to feature cars from the west coast-based F1000 Pro Series, however the series has opted to hold a race at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah.

While the loss of its private backing has dealt a huge blow to the Formula 1000 Championship Series, organizers believe with proper restructuring of its 2012 schedule and prize fund, the championship will continue while it searches for a title sponsor and/or other financial backers.

The Formula 1000 Championship Series hopes to announce the restructured schedule in the next few weeks.
    Ken

Liked: 30

Default So

what about the 10s of thousands the series owes the competitors and tracks? Was this just a dear john letter to the competitors that supported the series up to this point. As far as low car counts for Mid Ohio, what did they think was going to happen.

Liked: 43

Quote Originally Posted by KenT View Post
    The Formula 1000 Championship Series has announced it is going through a restructuring of its 2012 schedule, including the cancellation of the upcoming east-west shootout event at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

Recently, the F1000 Championship lost its private backing, forcing it to postpone some of the high-profile events on the originally posted schedule. The series is looking to replace those events with some more cost-effective SCCA National events, so that competitors may also use the events towards earning an invitation to the prestigious SCCA National Runoffs.

The much acclaimed east-west shootout event at Mid-Ohio slated for August 3-4 with the IndyCar Series has also been cancelled. The loss of the series' financial backing, coupled with low car counts, prompted its demise. The event was to feature cars from the west coast-based F1000 Pro Series, however the series has opted to hold a race at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah.

While the loss of its private backing has dealt a huge blow to the Formula 1000 Championship Series, organizers believe with proper restructuring of its 2012 schedule and prize fund, the championship will continue while it searches for a title sponsor and/or other financial backers.

The Formula 1000 Championship Series hopes to announce the restructured schedule in the next few weeks.

So now that the Lewis series is being coupled with SCCA Nationals what is different from What Mike B has done for F 1000? Jon just needs to go away after he settles up with those affected by his early actions and take up golf...

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    It's been done. I think everyone got tired of writing off cars and sending people to the hospital.
    I like you wren, your a pretty decent guy, but damn you are or negative sob?

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Pate View Post
    Nope, not at all. He is a smart guy and remembers many an F2000 guy being haulled off the track on a stretcher. Ovals are bad news for our cars. I wouldn't want to think about an F1000 on an oval
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Pate View Post
    They tore up a lot of cars and hurt a lot of people. These cars don't belong on ovals.

Liked: 159

Default No ovals please!

Wren and Bill are absolutely right. I do remember the carnage when F2000 ran the ovals. Lots of people and cars badly damaged.

As the manufacturer of a new car for F1000, I don't think I could keep up with the demand for spare parts and chassis!

Let's either run pro races within nationals, or hook up with Mike Rand....if he is interested. In the latter case, I would worry about keeping participation numbers up. We certainly don't want the class to loose national status.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Motorsport.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    He is a smart guy
    Let's not go too far.

Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default Pro Series

Interesting Quid Pro Quo. Jon stepped in front of Mike B’s F1000 National Championship Series and now Mike B re-inherits what he started.

Jon's press release seems like an attempt for an insolvent series that is in default of its customer base to replicate what another promoter had already established.

I wish no one ill will and it is sad what has occurred for everyone concerned. But from all this we learn from it and it is a great opportunity for Mike B and or The Rand group to work together based on some comments that have been made.

SCCA has licensed many of their Pro Series to promoters versus them running them though SCCA PRO. Mike Rand Group has done a great job creating a Formula Car Multiple Pro Series Franchise and I am unsure how many classes he can fit in to his schedule. However, as mentioned herein, it could make real sense to add F1000 as a second group within the FA group and car count should be around 30 cars combined based on past F1000 Pro/FA Pro participation. That may be a good way to incubate both those Series as car counts increase up to FF16000/FF2000 required levels.

There is already talk of the Mike B established F1000 National Championship Series making a re-launch at least for 2012 at the Runoffs with a single event Championship Race. That would make the Runoffs even more fun to attend this year. If not, I am in high hopes a viable F1000 Pro Series emerges in 2013 overlayed on Nationals or made part of the Rand Series.

The F1000 car is a great platform with bike power. It is probably lower cost to run than FF1600, FF2000 and FA. Where else can you get a donor motor that for $2,500 you can plug in and win. I chose the Van Dieman platform because I can always easily turn it into a FF-Honda or FC-Zetec and still have a competitive car. I think guys coming out of Go-Karts would love the F1000 platform.

Didn't everyone read the official F1000 CS email about this? If you had, you'd know that the whole situation is the fault of a few posters on this website.

Liked: 1432

Some of us don't get to see that email

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Some of us don't get to see that email
    Here:

As everyone knows by now, we unfortunately lost the financial support of our private backers. This came as a complete surprise to us and put us in a great financial bind, making it impossible to payout the prize purse and tow fund for Mosport and New Jersey, as well as other areas of payment. While we continue to work towards generating financial support through a Title Sponsor and investors, in order to make payment of these funds to our competitors, we have had to restructure the series in order to ensure the survival of the Series and continue providing venues of exciting racing for our teams and drivers this season at premier tracks. Some of these cost cutting measures include a significant reduction of the prize purse and a cancellation of the tow fund. We have also reduced our entry fees to $1,000 per event weekend and our late fee to $200.

Currently we have only 6 entrants for Mid-Ohio. Several of our drivers have elected not to do Mid-Ohio due to our inability to pay out the prize purse from Mosport and New Jersey. I cannot argue with their position, as many teams were counting on this fund to operate their teams. We are working constantly to generate the funding to distribute these prize purses to the teams, as we would very much like to see them continue with our series.

The west coast series, which originally planned to use Mid-Ohio as their final event has opted to hold an event on the same weekend at Miller in Utah. Many of the west coast teams are electing to go to Miller instead, as are a few of the drivers from our Series, so that additionally reduced the number of entrants.

We simply cannot afford to pay the extremely high price of participating at the Mid-Ohio Indycar/ALMS event with just 6 entrants.

Therefore, we have had to place our participation at Mid-Ohio on hold. We are reexamining our 2012 schedule to fill out the remaining events. We are examining the potential of running at some SCCA National events at premier tracks so that drivers can also utilize these events towards their runoffs qualifications as well.
    We are searching for cost effective alternatives to finish out the season that still provide exciting racing. We are currently in discussion at replacing the Mid-Ohio event with a double national at Barber Motorsports Park Aug 31-Sept 2 with a split start. Replacing the Road Atlanta event originally scheduled in Sept to the ARRC at Road Atlanta in early November and finally supplementing the postponed VIR date with events either at VIR in October and/or Sebring Int’l Raceway and Daytona Int’l Speedway in September and October, bringing the total number of races to 12. Two races may be dropped towards championship points. Where time permits and if there are at least 10 entries at an event, we will still be looking towards the possibility of again using standing starts with single-class races.

We hope to announce our final rescheduling in the next few weeks.

We want to thank all the teams, partners and sponsors who have supported our efforts and that have stayed the course with us. We will be making some announcements regarding the remainder of the schedule in the next few weeks. We hope you will continue your support of this promising series while we work to rebuild it back into what was originally planned.

Please note that the Series phone number has changed to 239-910-3361.

Finally, in regards to ApexSpeed. Although I believe that ApexSpeed provides an excellent forum for open-wheel people to gather information, sell products, etc., we will not be posting anything more on that website. There are several individuals that don’t even have anything to do with Formula 1000 (FB) and/or don’t have any connection or even any contact with the series posting their opinions which are counterproductive to the success of this Series. I do not have the time or patience to offer rebuttals to their innuendos that no matter how many times I would post, there will always be those with their own opinion. If anyone wants the straight scoop on what is going on, all they have to do is contact me directly.

Liked: 1432

Wow.

Way to go apexspeed....

I'd guess those owed money will never see it. That blows.

And the line "If anyone wants the straight scoop on what is going on, all they have to do is contact me directly" is funny. What I have heard that others have been told is anything but "straight."

Default Thats alright

they can have their kool aid at miller with jon and ill be drinking vodka at the runoffs with Mike
    Last edited by allof6; 07.11.12 at 6:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Liked: 120

"Although I believe that ApexSpeed provides an excellent forum for open-wheel people to gather information, sell products, etc., we will not be posting anything more on that website. There are several individuals that don’t even have anything to do with Formula 1000 (FB) and/or don’t have any connection or even any contact with the series posting their opinions which are counterproductive to the success of this Series. I do not have the time or patience to offer rebuttals to their innuendos that no matter how many times I would post, there will always be those with their own opinion. If anyone wants the straight scoop on what is going on, all they have to do is contact me directly"

No dog in this hunt but as I recall this guy was all over ApexSpeed and now this forum isn't good enough for him to have the time or patience
    to offer any rebuttals??

When you don't have the prize money to pay the competitors at the end of a pro race and you took their entry fees and allowed them to race without being upfront at a drivers meeting your a real tool.

Anything this fool is involved with I'd run in the other direction....

F1000champ

This will be my last post on Apex Speed. Although I believe this site is an excellent forum for information and selling products, there are alot of individuals on here that either have no direct connection to F1000 that offer opinions based on knowledge they don't have.

I am in direct contact with all drivers in the series and they are being kept up to date with current issues. I feel no need to explain ourselves to the general public.

I will openly admit that we have run into a major snag in our series. One that came as a complete surprise. But, we are working around that to make the series and our competitors whole.

First of all, what we are doing is scaling back our series to a sustainable level with the pull out of our private backers. It would be easy just to shut the series down and walk away. But, I have put too much time and money into this Series to let it just go away.

What we are doing is not at all what Mike B has done with his past national championship. What that was was simply a points system for F1000 drivers in every national events across the country cummulating at the Runoffs. There was no organization of events on his part, nor were their any prize funds at individual events.

Mike Rand runs an excellent Championship and maybe the inclusion in his events might work well, but that is up to him.

We are looking to hold our races, run by our staff at SCCA events. Most with split starts and potentially some stand alone races. This is more along the lines of what they have been doing our west with the F1000 Pro Series. We are doing this because of the position we have been placed in. We have had to scale back our prize fund to an acceptible level within what we have to offer.

We are constantly working on generating funds to payout the prize purse to our competitors from Mosport and New Jersey, but it isn't an easy task to raise $40,000 at this time. But we will continue our efforts until everyone is paid.

We have had to scale back some of the aspects of the Series in order to continue its operation. This is being done until we can generate enough funding to again bring it back to a the level its was originally planned. Its not an easy task. But, it is our focus.

Its easy to say let someone else run the series. We developed this Series with an understanding that there was funding behind us. That funding was pulled out from underneath us at the last moment. I think all the competitors at our first two events will agree that they were well run. Its now our focus to continue to run the remainder of our 2012 events, however at different venues but still premier tracks.

Starting a new series is not an easy task and I find it annoying to hear those who don't even risk a dime and sit back on their couch to offer counterproductive opinions on how to run a series. Our competitors have invested a considerable sum to run in this Series and we need to stand behind their efforts and provide a schedule of events where they can run for our prize and points structure (however reduced it may be).

So in conclusion, we are working on restructuring the Series to get through these difficult financial times as we work to regain our original plan and make our debt to our competitors whole. Its not an easy task, but we will see it through and the Series will once again capture the status that was its original purpose.

Those who want to really know the correct workings on how we are proceeding are urged to contact me directly. I've got nothing to hide, just a lot of work ahead of me. To those that are negative, well that's just you and there's probably no way for me to change your mind, so why spend my time trying to bother. Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.

Only time will tell if we are successful in resurecting this Series back to its original plan. Until then, its all conjecture by those who have no clue on the inner workings of the Series and the reorganizational plans its has for the future of the Championship. We still have several drivers who understand the position we have been placed in and continue to support our efforts. Its easy to be negative, but its more productive to find ways to offer assistance and help in order to make a series grow. Maybe if those naysayers were to use their energy in a productive manner, we just might have a easier advancement of this series back to its original status. So if you just want to sit in your easy chair, offer negative comments and have no real effort in seeing this series succeed, then by all means just do so. It only hurts the ones you continually say you are concerned about.

That's all from me. Anyone truly interested in seeing this series prosper can contact me directly. I'm always open for ideas. Other than that, I find my time on this site to offer explanations to those who don't even have a ball in the game to be a complete waist of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I think that running on any of those would suck. I thought that the number of spectators at Mosport sucked. It is all down side. You get better track time at smaller events.
    Maybe I should have use this post to make my point as the other one was a little more serious. Also I apparently need to spell check things more

Default You know

jon its one thing to come on and try to defend and justify what you do or say but to cut up what Miker B did last year and in the previous years for the class is wrong. No he did not give out per race payouts but when he said there was money being paid out for an event guess what it got paid and the checks didn't bounce. But for you to take the competitors money and not pay them anything and push the blame off on some one else is bull.

Good luck out west I hear they still hang em out there..

Liked: 703

Quote Originally Posted by crowe motorsports View Post
    Interesting Quid Pro Quo. Jon stepped in front of Mike B’s F1000 National Championship Series and now Mike B re-inherits what he started.
    I don't think Michael is mis-stating this but I want to be very clear to those who still don't understand what is happening. Whatever form my Championship takes now or in 2013 will in no way be related to, a continuation of, or an offshoot of the now-defunct Lewis "pro" series.

If you're one of those that still doesn't understand what is going on, feel free to PM me, one of the other F1000 drivers, or Ken Tandy and one of us will be happy to fill you in.

Quote Originally Posted by F1000champ View Post
    What we are doing is not at all what Mike B has done with his past national championship. What that was was simply a points system for F1000 drivers in every national events across the country cummulating at the Runoffs. There was no organization of events on his part, nor were their any prize funds at individual events.
    Anyone want to take a swing at that softball lob?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Anyone want to take a swing at that softball lob?[/quote]

I just pictured the ball leaving the bat and continuing skyward into a full orbital path around the earth.

Liked: 120

Even tough I don't have a dog in this particular hunt, it's guys like this who put a dark mark on racing. It takes a lot of time, money and commitment to buy, maintain and actually race a car. We certainly don't need BS promoters complicating things. It sounds like a reply from a cheap politician. As a promoter you either pay at the end of a pro race or you don't, there is no middle ground.. Whining about having issues or problems is pure BS after you took the driver's entry fees and they raced in good faith believing there was a purse to race for....

I would love if some of the laundry list of people who were scammed even before the series began would come forward, but this guy is doing a good enough job of discrediting himself.

I wonder if I am one of the ones he is referring to with no "knowledge" or "ball in the game." I feel like I have no shortage of knowledge or balls, though.

Liked: 126

Looks like the series went up in smoke the same weekend my car did...
    Last edited by RobLav; 07.11.12 at 8:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    I would love if some of the laundry list of people who were scammed even before the series began would come forward, but this guy is doing a good enough job of discrediting himself.

I wonder if I am one of the ones he is referring to with no "knowledge" or "ball in the game." I feel like I have no shortage of knowledge or balls, though.

[quote=
    I wonder if I am one of the ones he is referring to with no "knowledge" or "ball in the game." I feel like I have no shortage of knowledge or balls, though.[/quote]

"No knowledge or Ball in the game"

This guy doesn't think that his series drivers have a way of communicating with those of us that don't take part in his series. We were all friends and worked with each other to get the class to where it was before he stepped in. We all know who is credible amongst the F 1000 ranks. But what would you know Josh seeing as you were at the first F 1000 runoffs with me and many others that don't run his series.

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    To be fair, I am on the verge of having no balls.
    I hear the surgery can go well with the right doctor. Hormone therapy can help as well. You should be fine as long as your friends still accept you for who you are.

I am not a doctor, but I took two quarters of pre med before I started in engineering which allows me to practice in most countries outside of the US.
    Ken

I have to sign off now. I really need to go out and make some parts for a couple of F 1000 cars I know nothing about!

Liked: 1417

I guess ApexSpeed's only value is for dumping fabricated press release after press release about sponsors, prizes, races and tow fund for series that won't finish their initial season. Public opinion be damned.

Okay, so 45% of the internets to Mike Devins, 45% to Doug Carter, and 10% commission I will keep for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    I guess ApexSpeed's only value is for dumping fabricated press release after press release about sponsors, prizes, races and tow fund for series that won't finish their initial season. Public opinion be damned.

He did quote himself in the third person in the press releases so there is some believability. I learned from those releases that one could write anything and news services would pick it up and print it as fact. Educational.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post

I wonder if we will ever see this as a press release:

Jon Lewis stated today that "The F1000 Champion series was changing the logo. Not utilizing Apexspeed as a way to connect with the majority of the F 1000 user group will be felt. The new logo better represents the series and the direction it is heading"

Liked: 84

Come on Mike B + R are you guys going to save FB and make a real series happen for 2013 or what? It'll work no doubt! Make it happen

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    Come on Mike B + R are you guys going to save FB and make a real series happen for 2013 or what? It'll work no doubt! Make it happen
    Sounds like a great idea. I believe they want to get a declaration or consensus of an official " Tits Up" before moving forward. Is that what this is? Is tonight a "Tits up" moment?
    Ken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information