Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying times

F1000champ

Default Trying times

There is no doubt that the series is going through a difficult time at present. The recent removal by our financial backers have left us in a bad situation. We are working on rectifying this situation on a constant basis. We hope to have this taken care of soon.

This situation was beyond our control and its difficulty coming up with the required funds to compensate those who are owed the money from Mosport and NJ., But we are working it on it on a constant basis.

We regreat the time it has taken us to overcome this situation. We were dependent on the word of our backers that at the last minute collapsed.

We will work through this and eventulayy come out on top of the situation. We ask all our competitors to be patient and we are looking at the future of the series moving on.

Liked: 80

Just received the prize money/tow fund check from our supporters. Being an out of state check it will take a few days to clear. As we are leaving today for NJ, we will be sending out the prize money and tow fund checks for Mosport when we return from New Jersey. We will send them all out priority so you can have your funds as soon as possible.

Just wanted everyone to be aware of what's going on. See you in New Jersey!

this is your email from june 5th, so did you get the prize money for mosport or not? regards, jeremy

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Events like the failure of the F1000 Championship Series (East Coast) can certainly create "trying times" for both organizer(s) and competitors.

It appears that all "credibility" of the series organizer(s) has been lost. While it may be difficult for the series organizers, it must be especially difficult for those who have gone the extra mile to travel, spend time, spend personal money, and the hopes of receiving awards that were due.

At this time, it appears that there may not be any resolve to the awards that were promised for the first few races. To "string" the participants along in hopes that they may receive awards is not very professional.

The organizers should have clearly made "contingency plans" for the loss of any sponsors, and certainly should have collected funds from the sponsors well before the events even occured. I question if there was verbal contracts with sponsors or written contracts with sponsors to perform their duties.

To me, it makes no sense to keep "stringing" competitors along in the hopes awards may be granted. The organizer(s) should simply face the facts, and inform each competitor on the likely hood of any awards that were due. Contingency plans should have been in place long before the events even occured if any one or more sponsors would have dropped out of the event.

The event organizer(s) needs to make a decison of whether or not to proceed with other scheduled events in the future. Any more promises of rewards, when they cannot be fullfilled should be addressed immediately. It only adds to the loss of credibilty directly to the organizer(s), and the F1000 class.

There is no doubt that F1000 owner/drivers are highly competitive people. They will continue to race and enter events.

In this case, the event organizer(s) should do whatever it takes, be responsible, even if personally, to make good for the awards that were due. The event organizer(s) certainly has a responsibility to make good to all event particiapants, even if the awards have to come from their own pocketbooks. Failure of any backup plan for awards, only shows disrespect for the competitors.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 1871

Quote Originally Posted by F1000champ View Post
    We were dependent on the word of our backers that at the last minute collapsed.
    Unfortunately, in this world, words are meaningless - only cash in the bank has value. As a supposed businessman, Jon should have learned this by now.

I truly do hope that he can get this resolved. Good luck.

F1000champ

Quote Originally Posted by JEREMY HILL View Post
    Just received the prize money/tow fund check from our supporters. Being an out of state check it will take a few days to clear. As we are leaving today for NJ, we will be sending out the prize money and tow fund checks for Mosport when we return from New Jersey. We will send them all out priority so you can have your funds as soon as possible.

Just wanted everyone to be aware of what's going on. See you in New Jersey!

this is your email from june 5th, so did you get the prize money for mosport or not? regards, jeremy
    We received the prize money check for Mosport with a huge number of demands that there not acceptable. These included tha handing over of ownership of the series and a number of changes to the structure of the series. All not in cordence with what was originally planned,

We chose not to receive that check in order to maintian the integrity of the series. Therefore the backers pulled out and left us high and dry. We are working on other avenues to continue the series in the way it was originally planned.

Liked: 14

so basically the email that Jeremy is asking about was only a half truth at best if not an outright lie. the email says you had the money and were waiting for the check to clear and now you said you refused the check. The real question is why wasnt a firm contract in place before a large purse was offered which is what set your series apart ?

Frankly if you had started off affering what you are now most everyone would still have shown up just for the single car racing and the small purse would be an added bonus. As it is you are still offering $50k to the champion at this point unless I am mistaken and missed something plus the various tests. At this point why would anyone believe any of that when even still in answering Jeremy there is double speak.

the series was always gonna hurt for cars as there just arent that many F1k on the east to run this type of series but it would have developed quickly just like the F2000 series did if the expectations had been met.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 43

Am I seeing this right. You tell the competitors that are owed money that you have recieved the check, but have no intentions of cashing it because of conditions on a signed check?

Liked: 30

Default I gotta ask

Jon,

Since your asking everyone to be patient and things will be good for Mid Ohio round in August. I have to ask if you have paid the fees to Mid Ohio to secure the event.

So have you?

Jon, Are the "backers" for the series involved in the motorsports industry, who are them then to just pull out. Do you have funds to sue them for breaking your contract. I find it amusing that your supporters/backers had the means to take the series to the next level by massaging things a bit, maybe shaking things up so it meets their criterion but sounds like it was too much to give up, including the ownership, man they had you against the wall. I don't know how you could've prevented this from happening. I do feel bad for you and I'm not gonna make negative comments based on what transpired. Going out on limb, Is GoPro the backer that wanted to make the series the GoProF1000 racing Series??, are they the backer that pulled out, I have a feeling the owner of Gopro wanted more and you told him no, he is on tv with his f1000 car, if this is the case maybe that wouldnt be a bad idea, he is loaded I'm sure. Please tell us more of the truth so we can support you, make it evident that you have a clue of what you are doing. Kind regards Marchand Juan R

F1000champ

My backers were two people I know personally. It was not GoPro. At the last minute they wanted to change things up considerably to the detrement of the series. I couldn't let this happen. Our agreement was a verbal one. I'm currently working on other backers and sponsors to keep the series going as planned. I guess it was my fault in not getting a written agreement, but I took people at their word.

All I can tell you is that I am spending every waking hour working on this.

Jon

I support your efforts. If there is anything we can do to help in the future of your series, let us know at GingerMan Raceway, we probably won't be holding a ALMS or Nascar event anytime soon, but if done right it can draw from all over. GingerMan sits between Indy,Chicago and Detroit, it could be a big show and we would definitely work with you.

Keep it up

Liked: 1

I'm new to the racing world, so I have a lot to learn but all I can say is I'm happy to have a series to run in with these amazing cars, at these tracks and at these high spectator events (well Mosport and Mid-Ohio). The prize money is nice, as I have a long way to get there before I would earn any of it, but just having the opportunity to do standing starts, run with such great competitors with these cars is worth it for me. I think we should all be trying to support and build this series so "we" can have one to run in; that also includes the people running the series to be open minded to idea's and offers that will keep it together. A lot of people I've talked to about it are extremely interested and want to run in it next year, but are waiting to see how this year plays out. As I said, I'm new to the racing world, but I think having a series like this helps open a lot of doors for idea's and opportunities. I've been let down on somethings that were promised as well, but it doesn't change my passion for pursing this motorsport and isn't that why we are all doing it. Someone told me this phrase, which I'm sure you have all heard before "How do you make a small fortune in racing cars... Start with a big one". lol.

I hope to have the pleasure of racing with the great competitors I have been at Mid-Ohio.

R. Verra:

Never give up the passion that you have for being involved in motorsports and being involved in F1000. It is a great class. As time goes on, you will find that the learning curve is steep and quick. Most important you have a group of F1000 owner/drivers that are willing to go the extra mile for a fellow racer when called upon to help.

There are lots of venues to run F1000, it just depends on what level you want to be at, and most important how much money you want to spend. The budget is so important. If you have deep pockets financially then the sky is the limit in this class. There can be no doubt that every F1000 owner/driver wants the F1000 Series Championship to be successful. It's a positive for everyone. It's a positive for the class. I am sure that the organizer(s) are at witts end with lots of pressure to produce for the competitors. Perhaps the future is in doubt. If it is, the organizer(s) need to come forth immediately and announce either a continuation or cancelation. They need to be decisive in their plans, either a "go" or "no go". There is no need to make promises to competitiors for future awards at races, when they cannot be produced/honored. Major mistakes were made and hopefully the orgainzer(s) will learn from these vast mistakes. I am sure he will going forward.

Seek out all race organizations in your area of Canada. If your willing to travel and tow, then will find lots of regional and national SCCA events to enter here in the USA. Midwest and Northeastern USA. F1000 has a good presence in the Mid-Atlantic and southern states like Georgia and Florida. Enjoy open track days at local tracks if you can find them. Open track days in my estimation are vastly unrated. They provide lots of seat time, in a race track environment, at very low cost. It's a great way to practice, and enjoy the extra time, and really enjoy the car.

It's a great sport, and you will learn fast. Enjoy your F1000 ride. It's a thrill of a life time, and be proud that you are able to have the opportunity to drive one of these premier racing machines. Your driving in an very elite class of open wheel formula style race cars.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Liked: 6

Anyone care to update the status of the Mid-Ohio race?
    I'm assuming with the silence on the F1000 website, and no news here that the race is
    Already had a hotel room reserved and paid for , was really expecting a great race.
    Oh well, ALMS and Indy.

Liked: 84

The bigger question is: will the drivers attend the event even if it is still on? Seems like there is a lot of bad blood and mistrust at this point. Too bad, a lot of time and energy put into this venture to see it fall so fast. I hope that it can survive or can be merged / taken over by the F2000 guys.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    I hope that it can survive or can be merged / taken over by the F2000 guys.
    John Paul,

The Mystt F1000 series was prepared and making the arrangments to take the series to the next level in 2012 with Mike B. It would of been part of the F2000 series run by Mike R and more than likely run as a race within a race with the Atlantics. These plans had been put in motion long before the other series was announced (all though no announcement had been made). Once the F1000 Championship Series was announced those plans got shelved and a wait and see attitude was taken. Will something happen for 2013 I can't say but those that can make it should go to the runoffs and enjoy whats left of the season.

Kind Regards
    SBG
    Last edited by Shadow Beverage Group, Ltd.; 07.09.12 at 2:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

[FONT=Verdana]So is the possibility of re-starting this venture back on the table? Obviously there is real interest based on the first two races. I think that you would bring a pretty serious field out almost immediately especially if done under Mike B+R’s umbrella.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Look, most want Jon Lewis to succeed but if not it would be great if someone picked it up and ran with it.[/FONT]
    Come on make it happen!!

JP:

Can't see why anyone would want to take over any other persons failure. A lot of questions need to be answered.

What is the background of the original organizer(s)?
    What contacts and racing history does/did the orginal organizer have?
    Was this event planned to be a" for profit" venture from the original organizer?
    What legal contracts were in place if any?
    What financial backing does the organizer have personally to cover awards if sponsors fail?
    Is the original organizer credible after 2 consecutive failures for the awards and events?
    What happened to all of the other sponsors that the organizer listed previously? (Which there were many).
    Why doesn't the original organizer(s) respond to numerous questions posted here on ApexSpeed where he actively promoted the event, and knows this is the main source for competitor contact?
    Will the original organizer make the competitors "whole" the for promises and awards that were offered?
    Will registered competitors of the F1000 series get refunds for entry fees paid to the organizer(s)?
    Is there any recourse legally for failure to "perform duties" by the organizer to the competitors entered into the event(s)?

Many other questions can be listed. It seems all credibility of the original organizer(s) has been lost. I don't think any racer will spend hard earned money to take someone's personal word that the future events can be run successfully.

I can feel for every competitor that spent funds to enter, travel, secure lodging in hopes of being a F1000 Series Champ.

This whole deal is a disgrace, and some resolve needs to take place soon to address if the event will move forward or not.

The big question, who can trust the organizer(s) word at this point?
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar

They're talking about a different series administrated by Michael Rand, nothing to do with the Farce 1000 Chumpionship Series. Pretty sure you can use a promise by Mr. Rand as collateral for a loan. OBTW how come no one told me we are allowed to talk about this now?

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    They're talking about a different series administrated by Michael Rand, nothing to do with the Farce 1000 Chumpionship Series. Pretty sure you can use a promise by Mr. Rand as collateral for a loan. OBTW how come no one told me we are allowed to talk about this now?

Who said you couldn't talk about it?

The last 10 or so people who thought they were telling secrets.
    Theres no secrets in racing! Only those that think there are

That's true, yet so many PMs/emails/calls about racing are prefaced with "Don't tell anyone, but..."

Liked: 2

How cool would those weekends be to run or spectate? F2000s, F1600s, FAs and FBs. Stand alone event at the Indy Road course for 2013?

Ken
    Ken

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Ken

Stop making sense!

Liked: 43

Ken,

That would make an impressive weekend almost anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dziak View Post
    JP:

Can't see why anyone would want to take over any other persons failure. A lot of questions need to be answered.

What is the background of the original organizer(s)?
    What contacts and racing history does/did the orginal organizer have?
    Was this event planned to be a" for profit" venture from the original organizer?
    What legal contracts were in place if any?
    What financial backing does the organizer have personally to cover awards if sponsors fail?
    Is the original organizer credible after 2 consecutive failures for the awards and events?
    What happened to all of the other sponsors that the organizer listed previously? (Which there were many).
    Why doesn't the original organizer(s) respond to numerous questions posted here on ApexSpeed where he actively promoted the event, and knows this is the main source for competitor contact?
    Will the original organizer make the competitors "whole" the for promises and awards that were offered?
    Will registered competitors of the F1000 series get refunds for entry fees paid to the organizer(s)?
    Is there any recourse legally for failure to "perform duties" by the organizer to the competitors entered into the event(s)?

Many other questions can be listed. It seems all credibility of the original organizer(s) has been lost. I don't think any racer will spend hard earned money to take someone's personal word that the future events can be run successfully.

I can feel for every competitor that spent funds to enter, travel, secure lodging in hopes of being a F1000 Series Champ.

This whole deal is a disgrace, and some resolve needs to take place soon to address if the event will move forward or not.

The big question, who can trust the organizer(s) word at this point?
    I agree with everything you said but Josh is right, I'm basically talking about a brand new f1000 series that would be run by Rand. Now that series would be a winner right out of the gate. Let's hope the powers that be start working on it today!

Liked: 5

I had a great time at the NJMP pro race but I am heartbroken that a F1000 support race for the 2013 Montreal Formula One race will not happen. That would have been the event of a lifetime for me.

How I would have been able to be in Montreal for a week without eating/drinking/partying myself into submission is another topic...

It does appear that there is some interest
    26 people now viewing.
    Maybe Shadow Beverage Group, Ltd. will get involved and help get the series rolling in a big way.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ivinsea View Post
    I had a great time at the NJMP pro race but I am heartbroken that a F1000 support race for the 2013 Montreal Formula One race will not happen. That would have been the event of a lifetime for me.

How I would have been able to be in Montreal for a week without eating/drinking/partying myself into submission is another topic...
    There is a great FF1600 support race at the Montreal event every year. If this is your dream, you do not need to wait for an F1000 support race (which definitely will not happen anytime soon). I'm sure that you could arrange to rent an FF for this event.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Just stumbled across this thread, I was wondering why so many F-1000s were appearing in the for sale section, now I know...

Default Gettin' on THAT ticket

would be a pretty mean feat.

You'd have to bump one of the existing support races:
    Canadian FF - Lets just say they enjoy a "homefield advantage"
    Ferrari Challenge - Try beating THAT money!
    Star Mazda - Even w/o TV coverage, that series enjoys some pretty deep pockets.

To be running that weekend would be a dream come true, but what about running NJGP or COA/Austin? Why not all 3?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivinsea View Post

Last edited by glenn cooper; 07.10.12 at 10:53 PM.

Default Actually

the current listings are at an all time low.
    Whatchoo taklkin' bout, Marshall?

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    Just stumbled across this thread, I was wondering why so many F-1000s were appearing in the for sale section, now I know...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    the current listings are at an all time low.
    Whatchoo taklkin' bout, Marshall?
    Agreed Coop, someone stirring the pot

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    would be a pretty mean feat.

You'd have to bump one of the existing support races:
    Canadian FF - Lets just say they enjoy a "homefield advantage"
    Ferrari Challenge - Try beating THAT money!
    Star Mazda - Even w/o TV coverage, that series enjoys some pretty deep pockets.

To be running that weekend would be a dream come true, but what about running NJGP or COA/Auatin? Why not all 3?!!
    I think that running on any of those would suck. I thought that the number of spectators at Mosport sucked. It is all down side. You get better track time at smaller events.

Liked: 151

The only thing that spectators mean is that you have to watch your stuff to make sure that no one takes it.

I agree. The ideal event would be only the classes I like, each on track by themselves, no other series, no spectators. Being there with a major pro series and crowds of people is a negative to me.

I agree. The ideal event would be only the classes I like, each on track by themselves, no other series, no spectators. Being there with a major pro series and crowds of people is a negative to me.
    100%

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

If you like being at a track all by yourself with no spectators come on down to homestead. oh by the way the promoter with the prize money ain' t there either.What were you guys thinking first year out of the gate $50,000 prize, mandatory drug test for all entrants, Coop excepted he's on a natural high.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I think it's nice to have a small track day where you don't have to worry about a crowded paddock, theft, sparse track time, etc... but a lot of the people participating in these races are drivers who believe they have a chance to move up the ladder, and as such, they want the exposure (or rather, the perception of exposure).

That's why parents dump hundreds of thousands of dollars for USF2000 and Star Mazda, it feels like you are being exposed to the top level, even if in reality no one is watching.

I like the middle ground such as the ARCA event at NJMP, Grand-Am at Watkins Glen, or Formula Drift at ATL. Even though the NJMP heat and experience sucked, it was fun as hell on Sunday with all the action around the podium after the race. Even though the drift crowd is strange as hell, it's fun to be part of that event and you feel a little special when the crowd checks you out on track. Grand-am was obviously awesome. Great cars but not overly crowded. You really felt like you were part of a fun and exciting weekend. Now if only the track time for that race was cheaper

Now ALMS at Mosport.... for a photographer, it was cool as hell. I love taking shots of those cars, but as a racing series, it was a joke. We were shoved to the go kart track outside the track, where all the fans were camping. You couldn't get through the main paddock to save your life, and no one gave a flying fock about your race.

Liked: 3787

Default Get Real

Folks,
    It really is simple. Its all in the numbers.

To put on any specialized single class event, with a reasonable amount of track time, It takes at least 20 entries paying a LOT more than an average SCCA National entry. 24 entries is closer to a real number. That gets you a good amount of track time, a podium with trophies costing more than $5, and some fairly decent blasts out to the media. No travel money, no live or semi-live TV coverage, no sexy models holding up grid placards... As an entrant you get a highly competitive event, where you are not weaving through a mixed class field, that will demand everything of you as much as a Runoff race.

Want to race at a big spectator event? (ALMS, IndyCar, Grand Am, F1, etc.) Add a bunch more to the entry fee. $$$$ Expect to qualify at 8 am, and race at 6 pm, with a 2 mile drive from your paddock to grid. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't F1600 @ Canadian GP entry fee something like $2,750? With a gravel paddock. How many of you are going to toe up to that line?

If you can't grid 20 to 24 cars consistently, then somebody has to write a check to cover the costs that the entry doesn't cover. OBTW, the track managers talk to each other, #2 knows if you didn't pay #1.

Speaking of Sugar Daddies...

Tracks scheduling dates want payment way in advance. They aren't real friendly about handing out credit. So, you will need someone to write a big check (that won't bounce) MONTHS in advance to secure a date.

So there it is in a cam cover. Can you drag out 20 to 24 cars on a regular basis that will ante up pro racing fees?

If you can't.... You have to hope you can at least get minimum entry numbers so SCCA will maintain you as a national class... so at least you have the Runoffs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information