Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Liked: 553

Thanks for the update, Brian. Glad to hear things are steadily getting better. I can't imagine how tough that must've been for your dad (and others close to you), and how lucky they feel to have you back and whole. It will be fun hearing about your LRP laps.

Liked: 127

I never even considered driving my own Mazda 3 on the track. However, driving my own street car will be as a last resort, as I'd really like to drive an open wheel car again!!

Oh, just had another thought.... Now that, Paul LeCain, and myself have become friends on FB and he is selling his FA, maybe just maybe he'll loan me his car for the day to run at, LRP! I mean, I'd do it for him if the situation were reversed! haha

Russ, I can't even imagine having to be in my parents position after my crash. The doctors never being able to tell them when I'd come out of my coma, or if I'd even wake up from my coma. If that wasn't bad enough for them, that they had no way in knowing what kind of condition I'd be in after waking up from my coma! My own neurologist has told me in front of my dad, "that there isn't any kind of medical explanation for my recovery" that I'm just a "miracle"! When my neurologist looked at my MRI after my crash, not only did he tell me that the other doctors who told my parents that I wasn't going to live. He actually pointed out these 2 darker spots asking my if I could see them, once I told him I could see them, than he told me that those spots were dead, that they'd never heal! I don't know what those parts of my brain that are dead controlled, but I feel exactly the same as I did before my crash. My parents have told me that I have changed a lot, but being neither of my parents are doctors, than what the hell do they know? haha

Brian, former #31 FF

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by Brian331 View Post
    My parents have told me that I have changed a lot, but being neither of my parents are doctors, than what the hell do they know? haha
    Um, they know YOU. Better than any doctor ever will. After such an experience, though, there's no way to know what changes are from dead brain tissue and what are from a whole new perspective on life. Godspeed Brian, and bless your parents.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Hi, fellow racing friends,

I haven't posted in a while, but I figured you all deserved to know how I'm doing, esp, since the outpouring of care and concern you all showed for me in the past. The people who became my friends on, Facebook, know how I've been doing, but I realized that most of you are clueless to my current condition, given I'm not friends with most of you on, Facebook!

I am going to mainly bring you all up to date with a bunch of pictures. There is a picture of me wearing a tie for a recent wedding I attended a few weeks back, and even one of me from this past Thanksgiving wearing a hat. All and all, I think I clean up pretty good! When I just meet people now for the first time who know nothing about me almost dying, or the fact I was in over a 3 week long coma, are totally clueless that I was ever hurt, period! I have healed that good! Having just said that, I will NEVER give up on healing even better than I have, as I'll always be healing, IMO!

I have also got a lot of tattoo work done on both arms, and all of the tattoos have to do with my crash! The tattoo on my left shoulder of a grim reaper holding my cracked helmet, isn't in any anyway poking fun at the fact he wasn't successful taking my life, as not only did he show up trying to take me, but he really F-ed up my life instead! You can't see the crack in my helmet, or the blue paint on his sickle in the picture, but that proves he was there for me!

The tattoo on my right shoulder goes down a little past my elbow but, again, it's all totally to do with my crash. The tattoo of me sitting in my, Swift DB3, was taken by my little brother three days before my near fatal crash. Then there is a phoenix holding a cross with my uncles and grandfathers initials on it, esp since I remember seeing my uncle and him telling me that "you have to go back"! Then there's a sun shining down, and that is for when I woke up from my coma. You won't see any dates in those tattoos on my right shoulder, but I have since added dates to all of them now. Next to me sitting in my race car it says, 6/5/12. Then on one of the crosses on the cross is, 6/8/12. Then over the sun is, 6/30/12!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian331; 11.25.16 at 8:57 PM.

5. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 42

Thanks for the update. Glad the progress has been so great.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Good to see you looking so well Brian.

Any good luck in the job hunt. I know that a while back you posted that people were immediately turned off when they found out about your coma. But that was 4 years ago and they should get over it and look at the person sitting in front of them instead.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Steve,

No, I haven't tried to find myself a good job, YET! I have decided to wait a little while longer before seriously looking for any work, and these are my two main reasons why. 1) My balance is questionable at best. While my balance my never fully recover, I'm going to wait until I see my eye doctor again, at that point, I will start looking for a good job even if my balance is still questionable! 2) the vision problems I'm still having. I go back to see my eye doctor in a few weeks (December 16th I think?) for my 1 year follow up since my last operation. My vision is like, 95%, back to normal, but I need to see him about getting possible glasses/contacts or maybe even another quick operation? I highly doubt that he'll want to give me another eye operation, but after testing my eyes current condition to his tests, than he may decide to do another quick operation? Clearly, this guy does miracle work on a persons eyes, so I'll be doing whatever he thinks is better! He told me once before, that on a scale from 1 to 10, that I was easily a, 10. He also told me that he really had to consider operating on my eyes given the damage, but he decided to give it a go, and I'm happy he did!

Once I see my eye doctor next month and know what he's going to do, if anything at all, than I'm going to try to get a job at the railroad. My cousin, who has always been more of a brother to me than a cousin, currently drives trains for, Metro North. He told me that once I'm ready to apply, not only would he help me out with their job application, but he'd put a good word in for me! He also told me, just because he puts in a good word for me he couldn't guarantee me getting hired, but his good word would help me out compared to some random persons application.

Whether my balance never gets any better than it is now, my current vision is as good as he can get it, or I don't get hired to work on the railroad, I still have NO complaints about my life. I am truly blessed to have healed so well, so I'll come out smiling, regardless!

Blessed former #31 FF,
    Brian

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member blackbmwk1200r's Avatar
    Liked: 9

Great pics Brian; love the artwork. Thanks for sharing the inspiration for each part.

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Best luck with the doctors and the RR. You deserve it.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Steve,

I have honestly never felt like I deserved or was owed anything because of my injuries. Every time I list my current issues or the things I've lost, it really makes me feel like I'm complaining! I am not saying that any of you ever thought that way reading my posts, but I feel like after rereading my posts, that it comes off as I'm just looking for, pity! Given everything I've lost and my current physical issues, issues I may have for the rest of my life, I truly couldn't be happier!

As far as me being owed anything? I feel like I already collected on anything owed, not only because of my amazing recovery, but because of the man I turned out to be!! I fought admitting that I had changed at all for a few months after, but in reality, I have totally changed for the better. Not that I ever felt like I was some kind of a$$hole before my crash, but it truly opened my eyes to other peoples problems. In a strange way, as bad as everything was that I went though and still going through because of my crash, I honestly feel like my crash was the best thing that could have happened to me! Weird, huh?

Blessed former #31 FF race car driver,
    Brian

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Attitude is all you really control in this world. But in the end,it is really all that matters. You are an impressive guy. Good luck with the job hunting, but if all else fails, you can always be a motivational speaker!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Brian,

No pity from me. Sympathy maybe for all you have gone through.

Although I hope something like that never happens to anyone ever again.

What I meant is with your record of hard work and great reviews at your last job and determination to recover from your injuries, you deserve an opportunity to show another employer just how much you can do for them.

Your last employer is not very bright in my humble opinion for not rehiring you as soon as you were able to return to work.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Default I got my old job back!

Guys,

It has been a few years since you have all heard from me, so if there was ever a day to post about my condition and things going on, than today would be the day!

For the last few years I've been working at a golf course that's directly across the street from my house. Anyway, a few weeks ago I was outside the clubhouse emptying all the empty cans and bottles out of the recycling can only to hear this familiar voice ask me, "you ever gonna stop playing in the trash"? I turned to see my good friend whom I used to work with at Ametek, and he went on to tell me that they're actually hiring with a sign out front saying 'now hiring'! He also informed me that the company in Wallingford was under new management, and that I should really try going back! So, I have been feeling well enough to work full time again, so I headed down there on the following, Monday. Now, after going to 3 separate job interviews over the past few weeks, my last interview with the guy running the plant now yesterday, had HR call me today to offer me a job! Of course, filing out a job application isn't the same anymore, that it's completely done online with a background check, drug test and physical, so my estimated first day of work will be next month around the, 16th.

Side note bonus: I haven't worked at Ametek since my crash, so I haven't stepped foot on the factor floor in over 7 years. I was making $23 an hour back in 2012 which allowed me to save and go after my lifelong dreams of racing, and they/re even going to give me back my $23 an hour as starting pay once I return!! I went from thinking that my really good job with good pay, that I had planned on retiring from was gone forever a few weeks ago, to them now telling me that I'm hired back to work there at my old pay!

Even better news: I have been dating this great beautiful in shape funny girl for a solid year on, September 1st! This girl not only didn't have a problem with me not only not having a job or me back living with my parents, but she has even started dropping that "L" word to me repeatedly? I have told her countless times that I'm the one with a bad brain injury, that she doesn't have any excuse?

After all of these years I not only found my future wife, but I even got my old job and pay back! I have always remained extremely positive over the years given the things lost, that I constantly tell people that I don't have any regrets whatsoever after losing so much to live out my livelong dreams of racing. That not only could it have been much worse, but it should in fact BE much worse!!

See, my positive attitude has proven itself once again!!

Brian

Contributing Member Darren Brown's Avatar
    Liked: 20

I have been following this thread for years and this is some of the best news on Apex. That is awesome turn of events.

Very cool and best of luck

Darren

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 79

Brian,

So happy to hear the news. As you already know, so many members of our racing fraternity had you in our thoughts and prayers. Hold on to your girl- as much as I love racing, I also realize that there is nothing more important in life than having family and friends. After losing my wife/crew chief/best friend to cancer on 2017, I realized that all of the things that we fretted about in life were not big problems at all.

Best wishes and good health!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Brian331 View Post
    Guys,

It has been a few years since you have all heard from me, so if there was ever a day to post about my condition and things going on, than today would be the day!

For the last few years I've been working at a golf course that's directly across the street from my house. Anyway, a few weeks ago I was outside the clubhouse emptying all the empty cans and bottles out of the recycling can only to hear this familiar voice ask me, "you ever gonna stop playing in the trash"? I turned to see my good friend whom I used to work with at Ametek, and he went on to tell me that they're actually hiring with a sign out front saying 'now hiring'! He also informed me that the company in Wallingford was under new management, and that I should really try going back! So, I have been feeling well enough to work full time again, so I headed down there on the following, Monday. Now, after going to 3 separate job interviews over the past few weeks, my last interview with the guy running the plant now yesterday, had HR call me today to offer me a job! Of course, filing out a job application isn't the same anymore, that it's completely done online with a background check, drug test and physical, so my estimated first day of work will be next month around the, 16th.

Side note bonus: I haven't worked at Ametek since my crash, so I haven't stepped foot on the factor floor in over 7 years. I was making $23 an hour back in 2012 which allowed me to save and go after my lifelong dreams of racing, and they/re even going to give me back my $23 an hour as starting pay once I return!! I went from thinking that my really good job with good pay, that I had planned on retiring from was gone forever a few weeks ago, to them now telling me that I'm hired back to work there at my old pay!

Even better news: I have been dating this great beautiful in shape funny girl for a solid year on, September 1st! This girl not only didn't have a problem with me not only not having a job or me back living with my parents, but she has even started dropping that "L" word to me repeatedly? I have told her countless times that I'm the one with a bad brain injury, that she doesn't have any excuse?

After all of these years I not only found my future wife, but I even got my old job and pay back! I have always remained extremely positive over the years given the things lost, that I constantly tell people that I don't have any regrets whatsoever after losing so much to live out my livelong dreams of racing. That not only could it have been much worse, but it should in fact BE much worse!!

See, my positive attitude has proven itself once again!!

Brian

26. The following 3 users liked this post:

Brian,
    My little brother has a sign on his fridge that frequently makes me think of you. It says "the only thing you can control in this world is your attitude, and the only thing that really matters is your attitude." It's kind of scary to see my little brother as...like...smart or something, but you have proven him to be right, to a degree I'd have hardly thought possible. Man it's good to hear such good news for you! Thanks for the update.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

28. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 295

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Brian,
    My little brother has a sign on his fridge that frequently makes me think of you. It says "the only thing you can control in this world is your attitude, and the only thing that really matters is your attitude." It's kind of scary to see my little brother as...like...smart or something, but you have proven him to be right, to a degree I'd have hardly thought possible. Man it's good to hear such good news for you! Thanks for the update.
    Brian, congratulations on your great recovery and getting your life back where you want it to be. Keep up the great work!

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Brian,

Reading this was such a great start to my day. Hope everything continues on an upward path for you.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

Brian, you are definitely a man to look up to in your attitude and take on life. It made me happy to read your latest post. Not many people could have come through this as well as you!

Keep it up!
    Dave Weitzenhof

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 7

Default Fantastic News, Brian!

Your great attitude gives me goosebumps!

May all of our hopes and prayers assure your continued progress.

Hurry up, I hear your Class has just been Called!

Much Thanks
    "You GO Now"

Rick

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kean View Post
    Your great attitude gives me goosebumps!

May all of our hopes and prayers assure your continued progress.

Hurry up, I hear your Class has just been Called!

Much Thanks
    awsome just awsome

38. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks guys! My neurologist told me having sustained such a bad brain injury that my attitude could have gone two ways.Sadly, if you research brain injuries, or just TBI, than it will tell you that the suicide rate is really high, or you could just come out of it looking at life or the problems in life, in an entirely different way. While I didn't select taking the suicide road, my optimistic attitude leaves my doctors friends and family shaking their heads!

Since my crash I have viewed life in a new way. If something bad happens to me now, then I'll usually dissect it until I can see the good that will come from it. No more getting mad about the stupid $hit in life that I can't control. Example: If I used to spill my drink onto the floor, then I'd get pissed off thinking, WTF? Now, I don't even let it phase me in the littlest way. My thought now is, while I could swear and mother F whatever, but I'll still have to clean it all up! Why let the stupid things in life ruin my mood or day? Better example: Racing was my lifelong dream to do so. So, in stead of looking at everything I lost like the job that I planned on retiring from, my dreams of racing were gone forever, losing my own apartment, not being able to drive a street car for just short of 3 full years, having to move back in with my parents, and the list goes on. How do I view losing everything listed and more including my lifelong dreams of racing? Remember, I didn't have a bad year by listing everything I lost, nope, just imagine waking up in a hospital and hearing about everything lost in just a few hours, not weeks or months, HOURS! Yes, I was crushed to learn about everything lost at first, esp that I'd never race again but that didn't last longer than a few days at most. This might sound crazy to you guys, but I woke up one morning looking at my crash and injuries in an different way?

I woke up one morning thinking about what all the doctors had told my parents. One doctor told my parents that I wasn't going to survive my injury, while the other doctor gave my parents the only goods news that they could possibly offer them at the time. The other doctor told them that I may not die, but I may not ever wake up from my coma! That was the good news! Then when I did actually wake up from my coma 23 days later, than the bad news just kept coming. Given the extent of my TBI and the fact that my entire left side of my body wasn't really working at all, it was like I had a stoke, that both doctors told my parents that I'd need medical attention for the rest of my life! It was after that talk from my parents that I decided, while the doctors MAY be right, that I would need to prove it to myself that I couldn't do certain things without the help of any doctors then if I tried my best and failed, than I would have to except my new life! See, they would just always seem to leave a perfectly mobile wheelchair in my room, but it was left out of my reach. It didn't take me long to figure out a way to get into that wheelchair to take myself to the bathroom not needing any help from any nurses. However, the nurses started to get wise of what I was doing, being they needed to check something on a computer about bringing me to the bathroom only according to the computer I hadn't used the bathroom in DAYS (LOL) I somehow managed to convince them that they had taken me but must have forgot to enter it onto the computer.

Sadly for me, the wheelchair days were over. See, on morning I decided that I wanted some ice cream which was only sold on the first floor (I think I was on the third or forth floor?) so I decided that I'd flee like a convicted convict from prison into the elevator to find the store that sold that ice cream contraband! I wasn't down there more than 15 minutes before a nurse came looking for me and tell me that what I did was a big no no. I told her that I just wanted some ice cream, so while that nurse seemed to buy my story she told me that the head nurse wanted me found so she could have a talk with me! So, I decided to play dumb when I got to talk to the head nurse, so while she wasn't happy having to send out a nurse search party to find me, she ended up confiscating my wheelchair haha!

Once I was released from the hospital to continue my recovery at home with a nurse that would come to my house daily, she would take me outside my house to learn how to walk again! That poor unknowing nurse would leave my house everyday after a few hours always telling me to never go outside by myself as I may fall and not be able to get up, so I would always just shake my head in acknowledgement as she left, but once her tail lights disappeared from view, then my real recovery would start. If I wasn't outside walking circles around my house, then I was downstairs in the basement working out on all my gym equipment. Now going downstairs was a BIG no no coming right out of my fathers mouth, so I would just take it really slow down the stairs and nobody was the wiser! Anyway, I'll stop there as this story could go on and on.

So how can I honestly say that I'm so happy given everything lost and recovering for my serious injuries? Easy: I realized that there was only two ways to look at this. 1) If the doctors were right about me either dying or needing medical attention for the rest of my life, than I would've lost everything that I listed, regardless! 2) Or, lose everything listed including my dreams of racing being over, but make a seriously insane good recovery that baffles all the doctors whom have treated me. See, I decided on number 2. I thank God on a daily bases for blessing me with this amazing recovery, so the hell with that other meaningless $hit! That everybody grows up having dreams of doing or becoming something, but at least I made my dreams a reality, while most people never obtain anything close to their dreams of whatever! My racing dream was short lived, but at least I got to live it! After getting to live out my childhood dreams of racing, then overcoming the serious odds that all my doctors told my parents and I, so that's how I can say that I'm not only blessed to be an actual miracle, and that I have NO regrets whatsoever for everything I lost or had to go through.

My life has been one hell of a ride, so while I wish I could meet you all personally to thank you all, that I'll just except what life has yet to offer me! Me getting my old job back and starting at my old pay is crazy to me, but it's par for the course for me in regards to my life! My life is just getting better by the day, so thank you God for the great memories! See not all problems now, but if something bad to one of you guys, than I seriously advise you to hunt for the good that'll come from it or out of it! It is all in the way that you personally view whatever problem, so just try to make the best of it!

Brian
    Last edited by Brian331; 08.27.19 at 8:33 PM.

40. The following 9 users liked this post:

Brian,

Your determination to come back from the devastating injury has simply been something for all of us to view with deep admiration. You deserve to have your old job back. they need help . You performed well for them before and there is no reason to believe that you will not do a great job this time around. all of us should be humbled in admiration of your positive attitude in the long recovery process. I personally think that I would have not had the strength to do it.

You are definitely one of a kind.

Now a question: Does Ametek make test equipment like tensile pull testers?

Liked: 1869

Brian, you attitude about this injury is incredible. I don't know how you do it.

Was wondering, though, if you might be able to get some support/advice from the Wounder Warriors Project, even though you are not a veteran - to say that they are rather experienced with TBIs is a massive understatement.

Now a question: Does Ametek make test equipment like tensile pull testers?[/QUOTE]

Steve, no Ametek makes specialty metals from drums of powdered metal. I would say that more than three quarters of what they make in nickel, nickel iron, cobalt etc. Just picture this huge rolling mill placed on it's side, then there's thousands of pounds of whatever metal mixture that they're making placed directly above the rolling mill to get dropped into the rolls. It is crazy to watch powder drop down, than watch it come out anywhere between 0.60/0.80 thousands thick by around 15 inches wide. Then those rolls come into the finishing building to get rolled, annealed and slit to the width wanted. I know that they make everything that will get converted to say Bic razor blades for shaving, down to 90% of all the cobalt in run down to like 0.10 x .50 strip that'll be made into welding wire!

Those are just a few of the job that I can think of now, so considering that I haven't been around there in over 7 years, then I'm surprised that I can ever remember those thing! haha

Do you think I should speak to wounded worriers? If not, than while I'd never say that I couldn't learn a thing from them, I really don't see any reason for me to have to talk to them for advise? I'm a very happy guy with my life, and it only seems to get better! I could only tell them if a doctor tells them that they won't or never be able to do whatever anymore, than to do their best to prove them wrong! Doctors are only talking about what they normally see given whatever injury, so they're just telling you what they think will happen. Maybe the doctors are right, or maybe they are completely wrong, but if you don't try to get whatever better just because a doctor told you that you can't or won't be able to do whatever again, than you'll never have a chance to prove them wrong! My doctors have told me personally that they like being proved wrong, that they could never tell somebody that they'll be fine like in in less than 10 years! IMO, a big majority of people in the world that can't do something anymore just because a doctor told them that they can't or won't be able to anymore, never try to improve their situation. If you never try, then the doctors will be proved right! Always want and need to prove to yourself that you can't or won't, then you'll know for sure. It is hard, but you have to TRY!!

44. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Was wondering, though, if you might be able to get some support/advice from the Wounder Warriors Project, even though you are not a veteran - to say that they are rather experienced with TBIs is a massive understatement.
    If Brian were one to take advice he'd still be lying in a bed somewhere...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

46. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 490

Default FF

Racers historically have refused to take Doctors negative opinions seriously. It is great to see that you have exceeded that tradition!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 1108

Forum Newbie here, so just caught this thread.

Brian, your story hit home about 100 times for me — and I hope it's okay to let you know a similar path. My wife had a minor stroke in 2005 that went untreated (malpractice-wise, to a disgusting degree), and almost killed her. If she'd been anything beyond her mountain climbing, granola girl, organic-eating workout queen she'd have never made it. Pulse in the 20s at one point and with 45% brain damage when 50% was said to be "always fatal." This was in 2005, but may have well have been yesterday.

I especially love your candor about not "listening to the doctors." My wife was predicted to never walk again, but is trekking and climbing mountains (I'm a wilderness photographer) as per our ICU goal. The only "recovery therapist" I allowed to be alone with her almost got decked when telling her what her recovery "will be." She immediately turned from a smiling patient, the "best we've ever had" according to several nurses, to screaming like someone cut her arm off, something any spouse would never want to hear. I was barely within conversational earshot and ran into the room, grabbed the guy literally by the scruff of his neck, and pulled him out like a threatening dog. I posted an international "No" circle around his name on a sheet of paper, pasted it to the door, and there it sat for over two weeks. The nurses loved it as they couldn't stand him any more than I, but rather were awed by what my wife and I were doing to get through this while being 1,100 miles from home.

The next day I arranged an emergency meeting with state heads of Neurology and a dozen others, ripping the guy before his associates and telling him his efforts can and may already have killed people. I understand they can't say "You will recover" either, too many variables of body and mind — and especially, legal liability — in these things. But Hope can be everything, as you know.

I empathize with you on many very-deep levels, having "been there." We lost a third of our giant circle, some immediately, like they all got killed in a plane crash. You've been there, too, and their "response" is their loss. This is hard to see, but so true. We all have our ways and some aren't programmed to help, but I've come to learn that is their decision over the course of years to just simply learn to care, and those types are simply not worthy of your affection ever again. It is not you or anything you did — ever. Reading here, you're decades ahead of them in the ways that really matter in life, and I applaud you.

Our recovery has been quite organic, me teaching her to walk again in the dark to remove eyesight from the equation, and speaking to her an hour a night for over a year while she was out cold, totally asleep, though her nodding in response and later "telling me" (speech is still mostly gone) of specific visions of recovery in places and ways that came in her sleep. I may have blundered onto a massive technique here, we all know the brain controls the body's response and I am 100% convinced the wheelchair predictions may have come true if not for her damaged brain seeing recovery at the end of what's a very dark tunnel.

There's reasons many of us never interact — or even ever see — people like you, and her, in public. It's because they listened, and gave up, and there's no judgment but solely pity for those that have. Nobody or at least very few want to live after things like this, and while we often credit ourselves for dramatic recoveries the fact is much of it comes from knowing we have support. Really, Love and Hope may be the two most-critical things in our lives whether we know it or not during our day-to-day lives.

Interestingly, our end goal matches yours — racing. We kart raced to great effect in the early '80s and again in 2001 and 2002, and it's all I've ever wanted since my first race in 1963; the June Sprints, when I was 35 months old. We almost bought a Formula Vee this Spring, but it's still a little early for a variety of reasons and it was a really hard time in realizing that. My first Runoffs was in 1972 and I've watched just about long enough. We are likely going to VIR for my 19th Runoffs to keep the dream up front.

I am soon to write a book about it all when other fish are fried, and suggest the same for you — but only if you feel passion for that. Your story is as strong as ours, and perhaps we might talk when you want to. The fact is there could be a million people your story could help, I have terrible issues with our medical system that many will doubt in print, though there are alternatives out there that others deserve to know about.

Keep that girl, anyone who can stand by you throughout this is as rare and good as the girl I've been with for 41 years and six days. Start counting.

Thank You for your candor within these pages, that, too is rare and you're a rock star for laying it out. You are quite a guy and I sense you'll be strapped into a race car as soon as it's right. Do It.

I hope you get a little something out of this post, and apologize for blundering into your thread. Good intentions only.

Happiness = Health = Happiness, and I wish you all the success I can in finding both.

49. The following 4 users liked this post:

Default Starting my old job tomorrow!

Guy

My road to recovery has been, LONG, but I finally feel well enough to actually move on by working! Not only haven't I had any kind of job in almost 7 fulls years, but I'll actually get to see my old friends again! I haven't even stepped foot on there production floor, so while this job isn't actually a new job for the first time, but I'm even starting to get a little nervous about working there again?

Wish me luck, guys!

Brian

51. The following 9 users liked this post:

With everything leading to up this, it'll be a great day.

All the Best.

53. The following 2 users liked this post:

It's natural to be nervous, and of course there will be speed-bumps along the way, but with your attitude and drive, I feel certain you will do well. Can't think of anyone I'd have less doubts about, to tell you the truth. Best of luck!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

55. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Hope your first day went well

57. The following 2 users liked this post:

+1.

59. The following members LIKED this post:

Guys, thanks!

Sorry, for my delayed response, as I was pretty darn tired! I actually did have a very good first day, and today went even smoother! Yeah, I was kinda nervous not only about working for my former employer again, but just nervous about working an 8 hour day again. Things went along so smooth on my first day in picking up where I last left off, but actually getting a chance to see all of my old work buddies to get caught up! My first day went so smooth in regards to how well that I was working, that they even asked me to work an extra 2 hours on Monday, so it turned into a 10 hour welcome home day! haha No extra hours today, but I am getting better and faster doing my old job again!

Brian

61. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Take your time getting back to your former regimen.You have the rest of your life to look forward to,

63. The following members LIKED this post:

Very happy to read this, Brian.

As posted, we know a bit about your challenges, and have to say, I don't even know you but am proud of what you've accomplished.

Your attitude will take you far, perhaps even further than you may have gone otherwise. You're making it happen, it's okay to be torqued at times, in fact, those are necessary to make the good times even better.

Keep going, it's all in your soul and within your reach if you think it is.

65. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Mind blown!!

Guys,

I just received this coat on Friday, so I apologize for the late response! As I was opening up this package with no name on the return address, I was shocked to find this coat inside? I'm sure that someone from the Apexspeed community is behind this, so unless the person comes forward to except my personal thank you by phone or email, than I'll just assume that he doesn't want or need the positive recognition for doing this for me! Anyway, thank you to whomever not only thought of having this coat made for me, but thank you for making this coat nearly identical too my NARRC coat that has been worn out! I did buy myself anther identical too my original NARRC coat to have it duplicated, but I haven't yet done so. Me receiving this new coat has been a blessing, as I now feel like I'm personally apart of the racing world again by wearing it! That is why my sleeves have gotten worn out on my NARRC coat. Not just because I was super proud of that accomplishment in just my first year of racing, but I really enjoyed peoples reaction to no only reading it but knowing that I actually raced cars! Me getting to wear my old NARRC coat, or the way I currently feel by wearing this new coat I just received from some mystery racer, reminds me that at least I got to live out my childhood lifelong dreams to race! Yeah, it really sucks knowing that I'll never race again due to my injuries, but I have no...none...zero regrets given my slight current problems! To me, at least I got to live out my lifelong dreams of racing given the hand that I was dealt, knowing my situation could/should be SO much worse off for me! So many people have asked me over the years "how can I remain so happy"? I tell them, easy! If the first doctor who told my parents that I wasn't going to survive my injuries, than I would have lost everything including my dreams of racing. Or, once I woke up from my coma 23 days later and the doctors who told my parents that I'd need daily medical attention for the rest of my live, again, than I would have lost everything I just listed. I took option, 3! Option 3 was never presented to me nor my parents to basically fully recover from my injuries while losing everything listed, so that's when the people who asked me, "how can I rain so happy" clicks for them. My neurologist told me in front of my father that I'm a living, "miracle"! My crash opened my eyes to the world and everyday problems for people, that racing just isn't as important to me anymore! <<<< That's the brain injury talking!

Anyway, thanks to whomever made not only this coat for me, but for making me so proud of the racing community. As my dad said after seeing this new coat with a huge smile, "it's nice to know there are still some good people left out there"! This coat also made my fathers year, too!

Some pics of the new coat front and rear, and a picture of my dad, my girlfriend for over a year now (maybe she has a bad brain injury too) and my little brother sitting in front taking the picture!

Brian FF #31

And I have NO clue why the pics are so BIG? Doug, can you make those pics small?

Attached Images Attached Images

Default My life

Guys, how is life treating you these days?

Me: I'd like to think somebody in the Apex community has wondered how I was doing?

I am sorry to tell you all 90% of what I'm about to write, but it all basically happened a year ago or longer, so if any blame is to be had, then it will all fall on me! As far as getting my old job and pay back at Ametek, that job only lasted 11 months before I was forced to leave. I wasn't forced by having been fired or anything, but because my Neurologist wouldn't sign any papers saying that I was fit to return back to full time work. See, I never questioned my doctor before starting, nor did Ametek request me to get signed off on before returning to work. All my problems started because I would constantly miswrite the material specs on all of my paperwork. Example: When a worker would tell me the weight of the coil that we just ran, say 1350 minus 250 for the steel reel, then I would write 1050 or something like that? The thing is, I could clearly hear whomever yelling at me out of the weight or size and repeat it back to him, but then I'd write something completely different? My neurologist gave me some medical phrases that talked about what I just wrote, saying a number but writing a different set, if I can remember what it was? haha That and I was having problems with my vision reading a micrometer? Meaning. I could only focus on the mic numbers by closing one of my eyes. Since my racing crash and after 3 eye surgeries, my vision is still doubled when looking at things close. Anyway, my Neurologist would not sign off on me returning back to work there, as I was an accident waiting to happen given the high weights I'd be working with. He also kinda bitched me out for not coming to see him before starting back to work there, as he wouldn't have ever given me his OK to return working there.I then told him that he was a ****ty Neurologist, and that he was suited to be working at a McDonalds instead! haha Kidding of course.

Once I became jobless again and boredom slowly consumed my soul, then I decided to start doing some big things around the outside of my parents house. I.E, tree work. I bet you can already see where this is going. No, I didn't cut myself with a chainsaw, nope, I did what sadly runs in my family thanks to my father, and that was to fall off a ladder! At the end of my parents' property there is a concrete pad like 50 like 20x50, and we were going to get a metal building put up on it, only there were a few good size branches in the way. So, there I was cutting a limb down maybe 8 to 10 feet off the ground, when the branch I cut either bumped me or caused me to jump off the ladder? To this day I'm unsure on which it was? Sadly, the branch wouldn't have ever fallen off to knock me off the ladder, as another branch was in the way of it ever fully getting to me. So in hindsight I wouldn't have had to jump off the ladder if it didn't bump me off, but I made my decision to jump in a fraction of a second, but once the branch came at me after cutting through it, it didn't leave me any time to consider my options! WOW, did I ever get injured.

As I'm sitting in a lot of pain in my back from landing on my ass on the concrete, I then work up the enbery to get up on my knees. Only then, after getting to my knees, did I not only notice that I had broken my left wrist, but I also had blood coming down my face. There is like a 2 foot tall wall going down each side of our concrete pad, so I must have hit my head against it as I fell from the ladder. So my girlfriend was there after I fell, so instead of calling an ambulance to come and get me, as a smart person would do which isn't me, I then had my gf drive me to the hospital. Not only drive me to the hospital, but I had her drop me off at the ER and I just walked in! Again, NOT smart! Once the head nurse saw me walk into the hospital, she immediately got me a wheelchair and rolled me into the ER

Once in the ER, I quickly told them that I had sustained a bad brain injury in 2012. They quickly brought me to get a CT scan or MRI (can't remember which) to see if there was anything wrong with my brain. Luckly, I had sustained no more of an injury to my brain, as being a complete idiot on a ladder with a chainsaw doesn't show up on any results taken, but that's another story! haha After scanning my brain came back good, then they took me in to get my wrist and back x rayed. Now, my back has been all F-ed up since I was a teenager, you know when your young enough to pick up any weight without bending the right way with your knees, so I never suspected anything wrong with my back, as it felt like I had thrown it out yet again. Nope, while waiting in the ER after getting 4 stitches to my forehead, I was then informed to stop moving around so much, as I had broken my back. The nurse heading the ER had told me that I had broken my back before any doctor could come in to tell me because I was moving around so much. See, I had thought that I had thrown out my back again, so I was constantly moving and stretching my back hoping to pop it back in.

So once the doctor walked in, to not only tell me that I had broken both my back and wrist, but I had broken them both so badly that I needed emergency surgery on both, and that I needed to just lay flat without moving around at ALL. Being the ER in Meriden didn't have any doctors available at that time to operate on my back. I was then loaded into an actual ambulance (not my girlfriend's car again lol) to take me to a different hospital. Once I was checked into my second hospital, I was first quickly worked on to straighten my left wrist, then I was prepped for surgery!

After waiting an hour plus for my doctor to finish the guy whom he was operating on, then I was brought in. Once the doctor had made his first cut into my back, it was then he realized that this broken back was going to need some TLC. The lowest vertebrae in my back had actually "burst" in doctor terms, so they not only had to find all of the pieces of vertebrae to take out of my back, but he then had to put a rod up my back to help strengthen everything! Once that surgery was done I was taken to the ICU. And I thought when I broke my shoulder back in 98 was pretty damn painful, WOW, was my back pain 10x worse! Once I was the ICU, it was then I found out that my wrist surgery was going to have to wait until tomorrow,

And I thought the bad news was done, wrong! Once the doctor cut into my wrist, he quickly noticed that my left forearm muscle would just want to roll up, meaning my muscle detached from my forearm bone. There's a medical term to describe what had happened, like my back vertebrae had "burst" but I can't remember so maybe someone can let me know, so he then reattached my forearm muscle and put a T looking brace on my wrist. Surgeries are done, right, NOPE! Apparently one of my wrist bones had a small crack in it where one of the screws used to hold my brace decided to pop out. Meaning, there would be a second wrist surgery to fix my wrist.

After getting my second wrist surgery and intense back surgery, then I was stuck in that hospital's ICU for around a week, then taken by ambulance to Gaylord Physical Therapy Hospital in Wallingford. I was then at Gaylord for 2 or 3 weeks recovering enough to finally go home, YAY! haha

John D? I know we haven't spoken in over 3 years, but every now and then you still pop into my memory! Around that time we not only changed our internet service, meaning having to change my email address, but I would also end up having to get a new cell phone and number. Those are my reasons for why/how we lost contact, but I always knew that I could get in touch with you by just driving over to your house, or just emailing you off this GREAT website! I put GREAT in capitals to impress Doug haha Did it work? Anyway, John, if you'd like to get back into contact with me, then please send me an email onn this site!

Former FF #31
    Brian

I will upload a pic of the tree that I was cutting branches out of when I fell or jumped, and a pic of my left wrist scars from surgery if you're interested in seeing them?

68. The following members LIKED this post:

Brian, It is indeed good to hear from you again. I had actually thought of you recently, when an article about Zanardi came across my information stream [more of a trickle, as I get older] Having Zanardi's story bring you into mind is about as big a compliment as I can think of, BTW. I am glad to know you survived your latest escapade. I have seen multiple people maimed or dead from tree-work, so glad you came out relatively "okay". Your "never quit" attitude is incredible, but try not to let it endanger you too much. Scares the rest of us, you know.

Best of luck in the future, and stay in touch!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

70. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 78

Brian,

Always good to see you post on here. Hopefully your recovery is going well and your spirits are still up. Sorry that you're not able to work anymore but hopefully you are finding several (safe) ways to spend your time.

Keep up the good work and stay in touch.

Megan Sauce
    SowDiv FF #10

72. The following 4 users liked this post:

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information