Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Liked: 78

Default Great news

Brian,

I'm glad you're doing well and that you've had such a great recovery.Racing will always be here whenever you're ready to come back.
    Keep up the positive attitude!

-Meg Sauce
    Texas Region FF #10

Liked: 127

a message to all.
    One year ago on Friday June 8 our life was changed in a split second. Brian our son was involved in a horrific crash. I was watching from the tower, I watched as he lost control and hit the wall. When I arrived on the scene I knew that it was bad, I thought I had lost my son.
    What occurred next was a miracle. The corner workers, safety crews, ambulance attendants were already on the scene. With the help of a Dr. who, through the grace of god was in the next race, they were able to extricate him and get him ready for transport. He was not responding, and needed to be bagged all the way to the hospital. The ride to the hospital was not without it's pitfalls, but due too some remarkable driving was completed. My wife and I will be eternally grateful to everyone involved that day. Thank you for giving Brian the chance to live. The picture below is of Brian today. The other one is Brian in intensive care.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Awesome !!! Truly Awesome
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 79

Great news!. Thanks for the update.
    Now I am wondering how to install side protection for your helmet in a Swift.

Liked: 3787

It was a great pleasure to meet with Brian and his dad at the F1600 Championship Series event at Lime Rock Park a few weeks ago.
    Brian first raced with us at the inaugural F1600 event at VIR in 2011.
    The past weekend Brian cruised the paddock and pit lane thanking everyone he could find.
    He also re-emphasized throughout the paddock his focus on making others in our community employ the best head/neck protection available.
    Great people.

Guys,

I hate to bring up this thread again, but I figure you guys would wanna know!

I went to my eye doctor again yesterday to see if my eye is still healing/moving or not, and it finally stop moving. I was able to make a date to get my vision repaired next Friday, because someone had cancelled their operation date

It's hard to believe that my crash happened over 18 months ago and I'm still healing! After getting rushed back to the hospital 911 last December, then checking myself back in for a day a few months ago, I'm almost ready to put this all behind me. Although I did get to use the newest MRI machine a few, months ago which has enough room in it like your in a limo

Sadly my neurologist told me that I shouldn't race again. He actually told me that if I get involved in a bad enough crash with a street car that I could die instantly, so I should really consider safer things! Hhhhmmmmmmm skydiving? I do plan on returning to do some Skip Barber lapping at LRP next year. I will do the lapping at a slower speed with my damaged helmet on to cross start/finish, so then I'll feel like I beat the track, it didn't beat me!!

I should also point out that the SCCA benefits are amazing! They have covered every expense 100% though out this crazy ordeal. They told my father that they'd cover every expense up to a million dollars, so it's good for me! I'm just letting everyone know for that safe piece of mind, so if something crazy every happened you would be covered!

Thanks again everybody for your cards and support!! Being I can't race again I still plan on being involved in it.

Brian

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Brian, that's actually phenomenal, and I think I can speak for all of us in appreciating the updates. I used to deal with people suffering from your injuries on a daily basis. When I visited after you first arrived at rehab, it was my professional opinion you'd never be able to live unassisted, let alone write a coherent paragraph, and most certainly never get back in a race car, at any speed. I rarely saw my patients after their initial hospitalization, but when I did, they always had significant impairment. You're one in a million and I know every here is thankful for that. Hope to see you at the track next year. Good luck with the procedure......and Merry Christmas

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by Brian331 View Post
    I do plan on returning to do some Skip Barber lapping at LRP next year. I will do the lapping at a slower speed with my damaged helmet on to cross start/finish, so then I'll feel like I beat the track, it didn't beat me!!
    You're a racer for sure Brian
    aaron

Rick, Aaron....guys,

Why I'm still even alive??? When my neurologist looked over my first MRI results from after my crash he called me a "miracle"! He pointed out 2 different things that could have been fatal by themselves, so the fact that I was alive with both of them amazed him. Sadly after my most recent MRI a few months ago he did point out some brain damage that will never heal, so only the people I'm really close with would see a difference While I don't notice any real difference, my parents say my "filter" has changed

When I do go back to LRP I will get a video of it to post. I always knew that racing could be extremely dangerous, but I always thought I'd break a bone or something. It's still hard for me to believe that I hit my head hard enough to make both of my eyes move a few millimeters in different directions. I always thought that those NFL hard hits were hard, but they have nothing compared to mine

Yes it sucks to think that I'll never race again, but at least I can say that I did. It sucks that I have no memory or video of me running the DB3, just a picture of me strapped into it. I still have a video posted on Youtube of me running the first F1600 pro series race at VIR in my old Citation to remind me.

Brian

Liked: 553

I remember seeing your red/blue Citation at the VIR pro race. I was happy to see the car in person (after seeing impressive pictures of it here) and to meet the guy who owned it. It was fun to meet you, talk to you and your crew. I also remember that car going faster than it probably should have. Good memories.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

While I don't notice any real difference, my parents say my "filter" has changed:confused
    That's not necessarily a bad thing

Glad to hear you are continuing to progress.

Liked: 322

inspiring..... I'm glad you are doing well and thanks for the continual updates. I hope to someday meet you and shake your hand (and maybe have a beer or two )
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Fantastic news ! And you still have more great news to look forward to. You will continue healing and in another 18 months you'll be equally amazed at how well you feel ! Congratulations on making your way back to the track.

Guys....

there's no question that my determination drives my recovery!

My life was semi-perfect in a way before my accident. I was living my lifelong dream of racing, had a great job, lived on my own and could drive a damn street car, but it wasn't "my time". I refuse to believe that god allowed me to live and take away everything good going for me, so I could lead a tougher life now. I don't know what is better waiting for me or when it will happen, but those thoughts currently drive me!

Once I'm able to start driving again I'll go back to Helen Hayes to see about offering my help. I'll let them know that if somebody with a similar brain injury needs some support, that I could give them some encouraging information. I'd tell them that their recovery isn't done once the doctor leaves the room. That they'll need to always be pushing themselves to go farther. The therapist that would help me to improve my walking etc once I was released from the hospital, would tell me to never walk around my parents house unless she was present. My dad also told me to never walk downstairs in their house period whether their home or not. I blamed me doing those certain things on my "massive" brain injury for any lapse of judgement! While I clearly did go against my father and therapist, I did wait until I felt personally ready.

I would tell whoever that whenever somebody tells them that they can't do something, that "can't" should be their motivation to push themselves further. I couldn't even do 1 single push up once I had got home, so that was also my motivation to improve myself. Actually that's a lie being I could do half of a push up. I found it very easy to go down but I couldn't get back up

Also once I can drive again I'll be able to start looking for another job. I busted my ass at my last job and always got positive reviews, never called out once in 5 years, was never even late to work once, but I clearly died to them on 6/8/12 so I won't waste my time. I did talk to my old boss who informed me that I'd have to fill out another job app, and would have to take a pay cut to starting pay if I did get rehired. He went on to tell me that it would be the same for any employee who left their job. I went on to tell him that I DIDN'T leave the job, they left me Luck for me I kept all my good reviews and perfect attendance forms that I will show my next future boss.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian331; 12.22.13 at 2:40 PM.

You may have a new career as a motivational speaker

Guys,

In spite my positive outlook on current things or the way things have gone, I feel like I should warn you guys......

Right after my crash while I was still in my coma, somebody that had access to my debit card account number was trying to use it. While I was credited for everything they charged, it did make things tougher on my dad. My dad had to become power of attorney of my bank account. . Clearly somebody that was at the track after my accident, took it upon them self to use my debit account thinking I was going to die.

While I find it extremely low that someone would think they "hit the lottery" because of my crash, but it happened!! I couldn't imagine ever even being happy if someone got hurt, let alone trying to screw that person out of money.

I just feel like I should warn people of what could happen. I just hope that whoever did try to screw me actually does reed this post, so they know their a serious POS.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian331; 12.20.13 at 1:37 PM. Reason: My "filter" is broken!

Racers are people. Some good. Some bad. Those of us with a 'good' paradigm find it difficult to understand those with a 'bad' paradigm. Unfortunately, the 'bad' ones understand the 'good' ones all too well. The Hoosier thing may have been a coincidence.... Remember, 'Internet Security' is a myth & 'bad' guys are found in EVERY walk of life. Any number of people would have access to your valuables during your crisis. You're one of the 'good' guys & the world is a better place for it !

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Brian, your entire story is one incredible and wild ride. I'm glad to hear that SCCA stepped up to the plate in terms of their obligations to you and your family, that is very reassuring to hear.

Dennis, guys,

My story is long for sure! Between everything that I went through in life before my crash and after my crash would make a good movie for sure IMO.

The first race I ever attended was the 1986 SCCA National Runoffs at Road Atlanta, so the love for racing started there. I remember waving to every driver that passed me on their cool down lap, thinking I'd never be one of those guys. I truly thought every driver that passed me was a millionaire!! So it sucks for sure that I'll never race in the runoffs, but that's life I guess. At least I have a few good movies and pictures, and my NARRC coat that I won in 2010 to remind me that I did get a chance to fulfill my dreams of racing. It's sad in a way, but I'm just thankful to still be alive!! I will always be around to offer any future kid who races any information I can give about safety.

And yes the SCCA benefits are great! Somebody gave my father a benefits card before he ever left the track, so I'm thankful to that person for sure. They have covered every expense right down to the copay, so rest easy racers. Have you ever wondered what would happen if you ever did get hurt bad? Now you know that the SCCA benefits will take care of it!! I wasn't even aware that the SCCA even offered any kind of benefit, so having them has made things easier. Then factor in all the help and support you'd get from other racers!! The Apexspeed community is awesome, so a big thank you to Doug and the other Carters

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone out there that sent some cards, money, or said a prayer for me.

Brian

Liked: 99

Default Brian

Brian- I am sure glad to hear you are doing well. We rarely think about the down side to motor racing. Having seen my brother and his road to recovery I appreciate more than ever the strength and conviction it takes to recover and move on. From time to time I think about when I sold the car to you. There is a lot of life after racing. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Liked: 36

All:

Today Brian undergoes a surgery to help restore a more normal vision. Let's pray for him that all goes well.

John D.

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Praying

Praying in Texas.
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Mn is in prayer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Here too , best wishes,,,,,,

Liked: 1112

Godspeed, Brian.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Looking forward to hearing the good news.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

Liked: 183

Hey Brian,

good to hear that you are doing so well.

Just remember that your doctor only said "shouldn't" and not "can not".
    You will always be a racer, you just need a slightly safer sport to compete in...

hmm.. If you are thinking of track days, maybe you should try hill climbs and autocross after you get your license back. You can't get hurt in autocross unless you do something that is truly stupid.

merry christmas, and happy new year!

Liked: 79

Praying in Florida too!

Guys,

Apexspeed is a amazing.....good....great.....awesone website, that I'm proud to be apart of! Did I sum up Apex OK, or did I miss a word? haha!

You racers are amazing offering me more prayers and support! I totally forgot about doing some auto crossing, so you have me thinking now! Regardless I'll be involved in racing in some way so I can continue to see you guys. I may even have a chance to travel with John D, so his son Dave can run the F2000 series at Road Atlanta. Any excuse I can find to tag along with somebody to some racing event will be awesome, even if it's to be their pit bitch/whore

My eye surgery went off without a hitch according to my doctor. This eye doctor has a really good reputation that people drive from out of state to come see! I also believe that god got inundated with prayers from you guys at Apex, so he had no choice really haha! It will take around a month to completely heal from the surgery, but I believe it will be good/great!

The only reason why not having to wear a eye patch anymore will suck, is because it will break all the little kids hearts that I see. Every little kid that I walk by just stares at me I ask them "haven't you ever seen a pirate before?", so their response is usually priceless. My 2 year old niece and my 2 year old godson actually think I'm a pirate!

Thanks guys for your continued support! While the SCCA benefits are really good, all you guys on Apex are amazing. I will never throw out any of the cards that were sent to me while I was at the hospital.......NEVER!!

Brian

Liked: 3279

...My eye surgery went off without a hitch according to my doctor. This eye doctor has a really good reputation that people drive from out of state to come see! It will take around a month to completely heal from the surgery, but I believe it will be good/great!...
    Great news! Happy to hear it!
    Dave Weitzenhof

-John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

Most Excellent !!!

Liked: 78

Default Great!

That's awesome to hear Brian!

-Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF 10

I just noticed that the "What gearing do I run at this track?" thread has 245 replies. After this post I'll have 233! So being I can't race again, and I never won a race.....I feel like I'm racing for the lead again

Brian....former NARRC champion.....future thread leader

Liked: 1112

Default 233

+1 = 234

What a competitor.

I predict championship well before 2013 expires.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

And one more

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

In for one more.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member
    Liked: 11

Default 236

Add another and keep up the recovery
    Florida is pulling for you

Guys,

I didn't have any plan to become the thread reply leader until I oddly noticed it yesterday, so it's good to see that most of you could take my post about it, as a joke. I always enjoyed reading every crazy post by Coop, so I figured I would give it a shot! I'm not as crazy as Coop though. After everything I've gone through, and still going through, it's nice to still be able to have some fun about my current situation. While I could have never planned on an injury like I had, I still have no regrets about living my dreams of racing.

And it's nice to see your post Mike A! If I didn't have you prep my Citation, and fix the gears I installed backwards on my first test day, then I would have never done as good as I did. If there are any racers that need some help prepping their car, or help at the track on a test day, then I highly recommend Mike Agnif at Stonebridge!! That is one guy who knows all FF's like the back of his hand, so you can't go wrong with Agnif

Brian
    Last edited by Brian331; 01.03.14 at 2:08 PM.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Brian, Thanks for the endorsement. It looks like you have no problems with memory. That's great to see. Maybe a trip to the Kart track in Wallingford would be a good place for you to shake off some rust. Let me know if that might work for you. I'll come up there and go wheel to wheel with you any day!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information