Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FF results

Liked: 9

Default FF results

I moved down to 5th overall today from first 2 wks ago, but, the good news for me, moved up from 28th PAX 2 wks ago to 13 today. My co driver got 1st and top PAX. Boy, do I love my Formula Ford
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

To encourage others to participate in this thread, I was first by about 3 sec yesterday. I worked the course for the first time in quite awhile and was amazed at how fast the other cars were at 3 sec behind me. Here is a link to video, 3rd gear course. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHeox14K--g
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 15

Seems slow to me. Hope you don't mind if I post a vid. http://www.flickr.com/photos/yspect8/7339086748/
    TeamFRD-1988 Van Diemen RF88-1267 FF1600 Solo:CM#99/199 http://yspect8.weebly.com

Liked: 183

the more the merrier!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamFRD View Post
    Seems slow to me. Hope you don't mind if I post a vid. http://www.flickr.com/photos/yspect8/7339086748/
    Your run did seem faster Interesting course. Is that an air strip?
    Also, I run my video through image stabilization. I just ordered the GoPro wifi back for remote control and eventually control via iPhone as well as video watching on the phone!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw52 View Post
    the more the merrier!
    Chris,
    Have you sold your evo yet?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    image stabilization.
    It's a Navy airstrip. Lovely concrete. But out and back. I'm not sure why it wobbled this time. Here a previous event where it was solid but I forgot to rotate the Contour lense. At European Rally School road course.... http://vimeo.com/38755124

It's a Navy airstrip. Lovely concrete. But out and back. I'm not sure why it wobbled this time. Here a previous event where it was solid but I forgot to rotate the Contour lense. At European Rally School road course.... http://vimeo.com/38755124
    Nice use of a road race course for autox. And now I know what your rev limiter sounds like
    Mark

Chris,
    Have you sold your evo yet?
    Mark
    I just passed smog yesterday, (I am so excited) and the registration will be renewed later this morning.

Then I have to clean up a few items, get the car professionally details, then it's onto craigslist.

Liked: 10

Default Sunday Drive

Also, I run my video through image stabilization.
    Mark
    Mark,

Can you elaborate about running the video through image stabilization? I'm using Race Technology Video 4.

The linked video is my best Sunday (Day 1) run from the Blytheville Tour. It was 2 - 3 seconds off the pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le4lazYLYRk&feature=plcp

It would be nice if one or more of the fast drivers posted their videos . . . I would love to see what my car could have done in the right hands.

Thanks,

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    Mark,

Can you elaborate about running the video through image stabilization? I'm using Race Technology Video 4.

The linked video is my best Sunday (Day 1) run from the Blytheville Tour. It was 2 - 3 seconds off the pace.

It would be nice if one or more of the fast drivers posted their videos . . . I would love to see what my car could have done in the right hands.

Thanks,

Dick
    I process my video in iMovie and it has an "Analyze for Stabilization" command.
    You did not ask for feedback on your drive, but I have some suggestions if you want them.
    Mark

You did not ask for feedback on your drive, but I have some suggestions if you want them.
    Mark
    Have at it! Comments welcome!

Thanks,

Dick

Have at it! Comments welcome!

Thanks,

Dick
    OK.
    You seemed to be several ft away from the inside cones in some of the turns. I may be off the mark here, but an AM guy told me I needed to carry more speed through the turns. Your run seemed to qualify for more. I am still working on this myself. It seems that failure to make the turn would be the indication of reaching the limit. I seldom fail and I can do an 8 run event without knocking down any cones, must push the envelope more.
    Mark

Thanks!

Here is my '90 Reynard (FC) running at a local event on a very bumpy parking lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TsrEuRQPzM

Quote Originally Posted by jdp526 View Post
    Here is my '90 Reynard (FC) running at a local event on a very bumpy parking lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TsrEuRQPzM
    That's a big lot. The slalom looked like it was spaced so long that it didn't slow you down at all. Thanks for sharing.
    Mark

Here are my four runs from today. I DNF'd two runs because I didnt drive through all of the gates after the finish so I didnt get any times. But my last run was good enough to beat the other BM by .3. There were two SSM cars both with co-drivers that outran me so I was 1.1 sec behind FTD. We had 134 entries even in the 100+ heat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-6DWCitpAk
    Last edited by jdp526; 06.24.12 at 10:16 PM. Reason: add

Here are my four runs from today. I DNF'd two runs because I didnt drive through all of the gates after the finish so I didnt get any times. But my last run was good enough to beat the other BM by .3. There were two SSM cars both with co-drivers that outran me so I was 1.1 sec behind FTD. We had 134 entries even in the 100+ heat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-6DWCitpAk
    Very open course. I can see why SSM did so well.
    Mark

Liked: 2

Mark,

Thanks,

Dick
    Dick,

Instead of banging the rev limiter through the wallom, it would be better to shift. Faster, and easier on the motor. Try to stay closer to the cones in the turn around, especially the last one. Sounds a little bit like you're coasting; running one constant speed through a section rather than being on the gas for the fast parts, then back on the brakes for the turns. Second day, need to slow at the end of the 6 cone bent slalom to get behind the apex cone of the left hander to get a better drive into the fast sweeper. Hope this helps.

Don

Hold on, it's wobbly. http://vimeo.com/45379396

Tell your starters to give you plenty of room. AKA how not to start the next car...

Wow, that was close! Good thing the other driver was experienced and paying attention.

That was close. Looks like an airstrip, so limited course design. We are spoiled in San Francisco region; big parking lots and not much for our Safety Stewards to do
    Mark

Liked: 3

That was close. Looks like an airstrip, so limited course design. We are spoiled in San Francisco region; big parking lots and not much for our Safety Stewards to do
    Mark
    We're spoiled? Mark, you are one positive human being. Most people in our region think our sites are marginal, at best, with 35-40 second courses and sub 60mph max speeds (average car, not mods/preps) the norm. We don't have anything big enough in all of NorCal to run a Tour or Pro, at this time. Hopefully, that changes.

I agree that our Safety Stewards don't have a bunch to do, but I think that is more because we tend to have experienced course designers who know how to work within the lots we do have available.

Quote Originally Posted by mwood View Post
    We're spoiled? Mark, you are one positive human being. Most people in our region think our sites are marginal, at best, with 35-40 second courses and sub 60mph max speeds (average car, not mods/preps) the norm.
    Can you do multi-lap runs like we used to run at the Alameda County Fairgrounds lot in Pleasanton? These were great when I ran there in the mid 70's through mid 80's. I know that site is gone but the concept might work on your current sites. Doesn't solve the Pro or Tour issue of course.

Dick

Can you do multi-lap runs like we used to run at the Alameda County Fairgrounds lot in Pleasanton? These were great when I ran there in the mid 70's through mid 80's. I know that site is gone but the concept might work on your current sites. Doesn't solve the Pro or Tour issue of course.

Dick
    We have a few places where we can run a loop, but that often limits the number of cars we can run on course. Our turn outs have historically been well over an average of 250+ so many times multi-lap runs are not practical.

its kind of hard to see the cones without headlights.

Dick
    Dick,
    Once a year the Sacramento chapter does an "Enduro" with multiple laps at the Stockton Fair grounds. We usually opt for 4 runs and fun runs at the end of the day.
    Mark

Default July 15 Autox

I got my butt kicked yesterday by a bunch ofl drivers, a few that are national champions, driving various cars. I guess I just have to get more aggressive in my old age. After looking at my runs on video, it looks like I am coasting too much. I try to drive smoothly, even tho it may not look like it in all of my runs. I am not using brakes like I should. Looks like I need to stay in the throttle longer/harder, and deeper into turns and start using the brakes harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvMLmpERahc

I got my butt kicked yesterday by a bunch ofl drivers, a few that are national champions, driving various cars. I guess I just have to get more aggressive in my old age. After looking at my runs on video, it looks like I am coasting too much. I try to drive smoothly, even tho it may not look like it in all of my runs. I am not using brakes like I should. Looks like I need to stay in the throttle longer/harder, and deeper into turns and start using the brakes harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvMLmpERahc
    Good plan, I don't even have to watch the video to concur I could also use some of the same plan.
    Mark

TeamFRD-1988 Van Diemen RF88-1267 FF1600 Solo:CM#99/199 http://yspect8.weebly.com

That "almost stop" right/left makes a 50 ft wide taxiway pivot cone look like fun in comparison. Ugh.

What camera are you using and how is it mounted? My GoPro's would do stuff similar to what your's did due to even slight "freedom of movement" on the roll bar. Fortunately the Race-Technology cameras "like" rigid mounting using their solid plastic mount.

Dick

You seem to be moving sideways in your car a lot. Are you ok with that?
    Mark

That "almost stop" right/left makes a 50 ft wide taxiway pivot cone look like fun in comparison. Ugh.
    What camera are you using and how is it mounted? My GoPro's would do stuff similar to what your's did due to even slight "freedom of movement" on the roll bar. Fortunately the Race-Technology cameras "like" rigid mounting using their solid plastic mount.Dick
    We've done every design possible on that runway. That course was modeled after Silverstone. http://www.buccaneerregion.com/bb/vi...start=15#p6212 Hint: decrease your view to see the image.
    It's a Contour Roam on a suction cup mount on the flat part of the body. The end of video has a still pic of it. The first 3 events with it turned out better. Not sure why.

You seem to be moving sideways in your car a lot. Are you ok with that? Mark
    My neck is long and has always swayed, even in street cars. Otherwise, I'm in tight. But I have removed the seat to allow others to 'try' to fit. I'm Pete's size.

TeamFRD at Buccaneer Region North v South Solo Shootout. Roebling Road Raceway. My third run took 5 th of 70 on PAX. 5th run was faster but coned. (Sux to find that out at the awards presentation when you expect your name called for FTD and PAX FTD)

Runs 3 & 5 - http://vimeo.com/51388286 Loads of fun.

For my run 5, I could have hit the Chicago box cone or the last one in the 5 cone slalom or the last one on the left before the finish. or all of them. All runs had trouble shifting.
    I wish I had video of driving back to grid. The infield roads were covered in pine tree needles which loved my hot sticky tires. The start line shots in the video only show 10% of the needles stuck to the tires. I knew I would try to rasp off some OPR/klag but not that.
    Last edited by TeamFRD; 10.14.12 at 6:22 PM. Reason: add comment

Liked: 235

Dick
    Off topic, sorry, just had to add to Dick's comment. Just punishment.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

TeamFRD at Buccaneer Region North v South Solo Shootout. Roebling Road Raceway. My third run took 5 th of 70 on PAX. 5th run was faster but coned. (Sux to find that out at the awards presentation when you expect your name called for FTD and PAX FTD)

Runs 3 & 5 - http://vimeo.com/51388286 Loads of fun.

For my run 5, I could have hit the Chicago box cone or the last one in the 5 cone slalom or the last one on the left before the finish. or all of them. All runs had trouble shifting.
    I wish I had video of driving back to grid. The infield roads were covered in pine tree needles which loved my hot sticky tires. The start line shots in the video only show 10% of the needles stuck to the tires. I knew I would try to rasp off some OPR/klag but not that.
    Looks like lots of fun. Out here we are competing with the National XP champs for TTOD We should be faster. Must try harder
    Mark

Default FC run yesterday

Here is my best run yesterday, .28 behind the EM Stalker that took first place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3YxgKfbE7I

And, last week we ran with the Spokes club at Harris Hill Raceway in San Marcos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1P5OtzmA3o

My last event of the year. The site is very bumpy even with relatively soft springs. The vertical lines are from the November late afternoon sun. Fastest time of the event (no competitive mod cars but only 7th in PAX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBI-...Q&feature=plcp

Dick
    Last edited by Dick R.; 11.13.12 at 8:09 PM. Reason: New link

Here is my best run yesterday, .28 behind the EM Stalker that took first place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3YxgKfbE7I

And, last week we ran with the Spokes club at Harris Hill Raceway in San Marcos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1P5OtzmA3o
    Nice job. Sounds like your first gear is too tall and/or you aren't willing to "abuse" the clutch, etc. like those of us who do Pro Solo drag race starts do.

Dick
    CM85

My last event of the year. The site is very bumpy even with relatively soft springs. The vertical lines are from the November late afternoon sun. Fastest time of the event (no competitive mod cars but only 7th in PAX.

https://www.youtube.com/my_videos_ed...id=tBI-i8izz-Q

Dick
    I think you put up the wrong link. I can't upload videos to your profile

OK. Now I understand. Link corrected.

Thanks!

Dick
    Last edited by Dick R.; 11.13.12 at 8:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information