Liked: 73

Default FF and CF event at NJMP in August

Can we get 20-plus cars?

The SCCA regions running the events at NJMP are very formula car friendly (the race chair drives a CF!) and as a result I think we ought to thank them by having a good turnout for the Summer Thunder races on the Thunderbolt circuit at NJMP.

With an SCCA sanctioned test day the Friday before and a format of Qualify-Qualify Race-Race it is plenty fun.

August 17(test), 18 &19, 2012.

An open and spacious paddock, a smooth fast track with smooth runoff areas, a nice social with great local beer on Saturday night. What more could you want?
    JD
    Zink Z10

Liked: 280

Hi JD,

Regardless of the points situation in MARRS, I will be there .

Joe M.

Liked: 127

I am in, as well as some of the NARRC guys per discussions today at the LRP Regional!
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 18

Default Club fords in JUNE

To all those SCCA C/F drivers that are looking for a large field of racecars come to the FRCCA event on June 23 & 24 at the Summit Point Raceway in Summit Point, WV and join 23 other club fords. Plenty of track-time and plenty of safe fun. We are hoping to add to those drivers from SCCA that have raced with us before AND you do not need to change anything.

Lost a motor today on the last lap of the afternoon race at LRP. Threw everything right out the oil pan. Big mess. The rest of my season is now very unknown.
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 157

Default Condolenses

Will,

that is not good news. I am surprised that we still break cranks with the lightened flywheel. I have found a crack in one of mine just recently and have sourced a used replacement. It seems we still have to pull these things once a season to mag them

How was the weekend up till then? No rain I hope. Who won FF and CF?

Everything was fine up until then. The motor didn't skip a beat. Just went BANG. Will have to do some investigation on the real cause of the failure once I get it out of the car and onto the stand.

Rand swept everything, winning both CF and FF.
    Will Velkoff

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Online registration for the Summer Thunder regional at NJMP is now open at on the DLB site - Select South Jersey Region as the Club to see the event calender.

Supps and Schedule ... Register ... Entry List

We have established a single Club Ford class for this event which references both the MARRS and NARRC rules - cars must completely conform to one of the two rulesets. Less confusion, more competition.

Come to New Jersey and try to beat JD on his home track.

Hope to see ya at Summer Thunder

Terry

Liked: 23

I think I could be there. Just gotta fix the nose.

Anyone know if Peter Moody got his Royale fixed?
    Did Wayne Nicolette fix his engine?
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

Liked: 29

We plan on bringing two (new to us) FFs or their first outing...

Default Not sure about Peter ....

.... but I sold him an upright, a nose and let him borrow my nose-mold which he returned yesterday. My assumption is his car is on the mend.

I do not have an engine for my RP31, so I will have to watch from the sidelines. Sounds like there will be a decent turnout. Unless Rand shows up, my bet is on JD for the win

Liked: 20

Motor is on the dyno today . I will be there ... and looking forward to it.

Motor is in pieces and have not had a minute of time to work on it

Needless to say I won't be making this one. Hoping to get out to NJMP Thunderbolt for the late October event.
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 280

Hi,

I have entered the August NJMP event and I believe that Chuck VanNostrand & Wayne Nicolette will also be entering soon. Mike Kelly was defintely going to race that weekend, but his unfortunate accident at the Summit Point MARRS event a few weeks ago have altered his plans. I believe that Doug Fisher in his beautifully rebuilt DB-1 is going to make this his first race back after an all too long lay-off from racing.

Who else is planning on attending? This is a great opportunity to see how many CF & FF folks in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic we can pull together to support the classes and South Jersey Region at NJMP.

Joe Marcinski
    #04 Tiga Club Ford

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Not this time

If it wasn't the weekend between the Mt Equinox hill climb and the Pro1600 at Summit I would be there but 3 back to back to back weekends in a row is too much for me. Sorry, maybe I can make the fall race.

Ed Callo

Definitely out for this event. As of now I have a block, new SCAT crank, and rods/pistons on the way. Need to prepare the block, assemble the engine, dyno it, and get it back in the car. So I should be out for the NARRC Runoffs and the late October NJMP Thunderbolt race. Hopefully we get a solid showing of cars to finish off the season. Have fun in a few weeks everyone!

-Will
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 32

I'm out until Sept. I have commited August to a long over due (to much racing) construction project. I'm have the Oct NJMP in my plans.

Quote Originally Posted by AJWALKER View Post
    I'm out until Sept. I have commited August to a long over due (to much racing) construction project. I'm have the Oct NJMP in my plans.

You doing the NARRC Runoffs AJ?
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 32

That is the plan. I love fall racing.

I plan for the Fun One, The NARRC-offs. The early NHMS and later NJMP are pluses but they depend on a ready car. The Z16 will be ready, but I'm concerned about the licks it has taken this season. Once the Swift is back in action the Z16 is slated to be kicked out of the fleet.

Liked: 13

Default Formula Car racing

I hope that you formula car racers can have a large field, I know the FRCCA has been trying to get a large turn-out as well. It sure would be enjoyable to see a return of the large fields the formula car once had.

Steve, u can't pick JD for the win. The kid's runnin the #39!

Well, can you guys fill in those who could not attend?
    Will Velkoff

Default Max King wins CF

So the kid wins his first race, running faster than his old man ever went at T-bolt in his first event!
    Of course my fellow competitors and friends couldn't wait to tell me my days are numbered as the #1 driver in the family

We had a decent turnout of fords, a few f500 cars (notably Jay Beckley bested Don Colanero with a great battle and a really quick 1:27.2 fast lap), and a nice bunch of vees.

Max led the race most of the way and was gapping the field quite nicely until an off in the right hander that enters the devil section. He slid off drivers left and bent some sheet metal under the left side-pod of the Zink Z10 and stalled it. It was his first off and in his defense some others spun there too and mentioned oil or coolant being the culprit. But the kid got it re-fired and set off to chase down Marcinski for the #1 spot, they battled a few laps and Max was able to gain an advantage in traffic and got clear of Joe.

In the last few laps the car started sputtering as a plug wire had decided to escape the distributor cap, but the kid soldiered on to win CF.

Bill Atherholdt claimed the FF win, his main competition Dave Petzko dropped out after pace lap due to carb trouble.

I don't have results with me for exact details, but I can say I'm proud of my boy, he worked hard on the car with me and had earned a chance to drive by keeping on the honors classes honor roll all year.
    JD
    Zink Z10

Default Sounds like he had a whole season in one weekend!

Nice going Max, and the King family!!

I am guessing that Max had the Z10 right at minimum weight whereas the old man is always on the heavy side. Not a fat joke, JD is built like a tank.

What was Max's path to getting licensed? SCCA schools or Skip School?

I had qualified poorly, 10th of 22, early on Saturday, which is where I started for the Saturday qualifing race. I had a good start and a great race with Ed Del Monico and finished 6th.
    Sunday I ran with Doug Fisher's Swift, and then chased down Joe with 2 or 3 to go, only to lose him in Vee traffic. I had a blast!

Um, after the start, I never saw "the kid".

Thanks Steve.
    He used the Zink and took the SCCA March school at Lightning NJMP.
    The car went over the scales at 1126 with Max in it and about 2 gallons of gas left in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    Nice going Max, and the King family!!

I am guessing that Max had the Z10 right at minimum weight whereas the old man is always on the heavy side. Not a fat joke, JD is built like a tank.

What was Max's path to getting licensed? SCCA schools or Skip School?
    JD
    Zink Z10

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

Tell Max I said congratulations. Now you'll have to get that 2nd Zink together so you two can go head-to-head!

Liked: 18

Default One more 20 c/f chance

C/F drivers, it seems like those of you that went to NJMP had a good time BUT not 20 C/F racecars. The FRCCA had 19 C/F the last time we were at the Summit Point Raceway; the FRCCA will be racing there again on Oct. 13 & 14, maybe we can exceed the 20 C/F racecar field that we all are hoping for.

JD, haven't had the pleasure to meet your son, but congrats to both you and Max. Best of luck the rest of the season, I'm sure you will be able to give him a run for his money next time out.

Thread Information