Liked: 9

Default Bump Steer and car rake

How important is rake during bump steer set up? It's been a while since I did it, so I don't remember the prep details. And my notes don't mention rake as a critical parameter, but it would seem to me that it might be important, no?

The Long Acre instructions say to place the frame on blocks at "ride height" and jack the A-arm to where the hub height is for normal set up conditions (w/ driver/fuel weight etc). It could be argued that that means at all 4 corners to get the rake right, but it doesn't specifically say that. My first thought was that the point was to get the hub height correct relative to the frame height for one corner at a time.

Reason I ask is, I was going to leave the car on the stands (frame level) for convenience. I would then take that (stand height) difference from ride height into account when jacking up the A-arm to have the correct hub height relative to the frame height. But that convenience doesnt' simulate the rake. I guess I could mess around with wedge shims, but my Lazy Man's credentials might be forfeited.

I run at 1 to 1-1/8" rake. How critical to bump steer set up is having the car on the rake?
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 27

Rake is not important to bump steer. Adjusting the caster via manipulation of the uprights can have effect on the bump steer. I always bump steer on stands and just run the suspension through it's normal travel as if it was on the ground.

Chao

Liked: 9

Default Thanks Darryl,

That makes it much quicker.

(I coulda sworn I posted this yesterday.......guess it sank into the Apex Triangle )
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Thread Information