Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Coop,

I was wondering when there would be some noob-entangulation in the series. It's unfortunate that it always a fast guy getting taken out. Hopefully some of that Mo$port podium money will cover the damages.It sounds like it was a frustrating weekend for many.

Amen. The last "accomplishment" I need on my racing resume is to take out Dixon, JRO or Coop. I wouldn't have been able to hold my head up calling Wayne at the factory for parts if I had tangled with JR, so I was especially careful to stay out of their way.

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by JRMarchand View Post
    Wren, were the valves new then,before the Runoffs, thanks jrm
    That engine was a true 0 miles Suzuki at the Runoffs, so it was all new parts.

Contributing Member blackbmwk1200r's Avatar
    Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    How come no one told me we aren't ignoring the elephant any more?
    Which elephant?

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

The big, expensive one.

Contributing Member blackbmwk1200r's Avatar
    Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    The big, expensive one.
    Noob entanglement expensive or new engine blowing up expensive?

Liked: 3787

Default engine duty cycle

I was talking to Coop after the event. He has a new self-imposed standard based on his experience. He now believes 8 races is the upper limit on the Suzuki. After 8, he pulls the engine and sells it to DSR guys as a parts core. (they only want the cases, gearbox, etc., everything else they replace).

While this may sound expensive, doing the math, it is about the same as what high end national drivers were doing with pintos in FC 6 years ago. Back then they would refresh a pinto before the Runons, then use that motor to race in the next spring, early summer. Late summer they would send it in for another refresh. OBTW, those pinto refreshes 6 years ago were probably more expensive than buying street Suzukis today.

The elephant did come up in the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbmwk1200r View Post
    Noob entanglement expensive or new engine blowing up expensive?
    Hmm, I know lots of elephants...

Liked: 14

if you were really clever you would have edited the color of the elephant in that image. I am losing faith in you my son.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Too much work.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Yeah, Phunny thing about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivinsea View Post
    Amen. The last "accomplishment" I need on my racing resume is to take out Dixon, JRO or Coop. I wouldn't have been able to hold my head up calling Wayne at the factory for parts if I had tangled with JR, so I was especially careful to stay out of their way.

Sure I was pissed as all get out when the "incident" occured, but bottom line - TOTALLY my fault.

Placing oneself in harms way (very close proximity to a driver new to these cars and open wheel cars in general) was not smart.

Not to mention the whole "It is the overtaking driver's responsibility to ensure... blah blah".

Coop,
    You are a honorable fellow. Not all would admit error.
    I knew there was some reason i liked you other than BG products.

the incar youtube version of the crash was bizarre to say the least. Coop is doing the right thing in taking the blame but there was something weird going on in the car he hit. Zero reason not to be on the floor there.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

I am reminded of an incident years ago at Summit Point where a GT1 driver was complaining that a GT3 driver repeatedly hit him in the rear under acceleration.

Could be the poor chap was searching for the entrance to pit lane. Who knows? Can be confusing on a new track for the first time.

Liked: 1872

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon View Post
    That engine was a true 0 miles Suzuki at the Runoffs, so it was all new parts.
    not sure exactly what the life expectancy should be for valves in these motors, but in talking with a DSR friend a while back, he stressed that the EXACT valve lash is critical because of the way the valve is closed ( ie - cam profile.) Being off by .0005 will reduce the life span a lot.

Liked: 159

Default question for coop

Coop,

Is that self imposed engine lifespan 8 races or 8 weekends?

Thanks,

Jerry

Eight race weekends: test day, q's and race = 1 race
    A double National or one F1KCS weekend which sees 2 races is = to 2 races, except in the case of NJMP or the like where there was no test day, and race two was abreviated - that would = 1.

Brandon, hope you guys can get a replacement in for the Sprints. I just had to cancel our FB entry because we ran into a huge wall of problems a few hours ago with the rear sprocket and the chain touching the chassis, it was the last blow we could take, it was past midnight when I asked my two technicians to put the tools down and we just didn't get everything in on time to do a maiden run in Elkhart. I haven't turned a lap yet on the car, it is still going to need about 18 hours of sorting out before it can take a lap safely or even come off the stands. We worked straight for the last week or more, and came up short, quite the learning experience for me and the young crew. So close, but there is always next time

Here is a pic of the car 85% complete at 1:30am after calling it quits, i'm too tired (physically and emotionally)to think about racing now or even be on track with other competitors. you guys have a safe race at the Sprints.

Marchand Juan R
    Last edited by JRMarchand; 06.18.13 at 4:28 PM.

Liked: 43

Sounds like you are trying to run a sprocket that is larger than a 45 tooth in the rear or you have your chain to long and dont have the diff shims that you need in place. you may need to have a .250 and or a .125 thck shim between the pillow blocks and the rear bulk head. I hate to see you miss the event. It would have made three of us nova diemens running. probably the largest gathering of us yet. post or call if you have issues. I've probably seen the issue and can help you out.

Liked: 0

After following FB / F1k for 3 years on Apex speed I finally had the had the opportunity to witness the F1K series in person in my home state at the NJMP on Saturday ( 6/9/12 ) and would like to share my prospective from a fans point of view.
    The People of F1K:
    The people of F1K were very friendly and all willing to take time out and from working on their cars to chat. Anna and Glenn Cooper were the first I chatted with, they were willing to take the time to talk to a fan even though Glenn was busy working on his car because of a shunt he had the day before and even stopped work for a photo opt with this fan, and I also got to take a picture with the lovely Anna, Thanks a lot and I hope your trip home was easier. I also met Jay and Brian Novak and again, they stopped working to chat with this fan, Jay and I discussed about everything from F1K to F500/600 to NYC.
    I also had the opportunity to chat with Brandon Dixion, and Jon Lewis, thanks all for taking the time to chat.
    The cars of F1K:
    These cars have to be seen in person to appreciate the detailed work that these teams put into them, and one can not appreciate the detailed engerineering that has gone into these cars by just looking at pictures.
    The sound of these cars are fantastic, idling in the garage, they sounded assume, but on the track the sound they produced at 13,000 rpm was second only to a formula 1, I actually closed my eyes during the race and it sounded like I was at the Canadian F1 Grand Prix again.
    The F1K series:
    Jon Lewis has put together a great series and to have a 13 car count in it’s first year is a tribute to his hard work. Jon looked totally exhausted but still took the time to chat with this fan and explained the delay in the speed cast tv shows. If the shows turn out to be as good as the race I just witness, it’s going to be fantastic
    Thanks to Mr. Lewis and all the F1K teams
    Craig / F1K fan

Robinson, thank you for shedding light on the diff carrier shims, I had no idea and if it was mentioned before, anyways it sucks for me now. I tried installing a 46/16 and 46/15, We still had too much on the plate to overcome before leaving by 3pm in just a few hours. The car just isnt ready and would be unfair and a bit of a concerned because I've never driven a car like this. Instead we are finishing the car sometime next week so I can start doing laps at GingerMan and get comfortable in the car.

Default Dif shims

Juan the dif shims that Dan speaks of are basically the rectangle fromed by the end of the pillow blocks, about 1" x 6" or so. Make a pair out of 1/8" and a pair out of 1/4" aluminum. Then slot the mounting holes (I sloted mine on an angle so they could then just hang and not fall out) so you merely need to loosen the 4 dif mount bolts and slide in the thickness required, which will then space the dif that much away from the rear bulkhead/dif mount plate.

GC

That car is lookin' pretty sweet - who's floor or floor extensions are those?

Glen, thanks for the info on the shims, i think MikeB made some, but i sure seem to forget things. Using the shims is not so a 46 sprocket can be fitted, right, it is so a particular chain length can be installed, si? i spoke to Jay and his chassis can only use up to a 45, but recently i spoke with other owners that do use a 46 without problems or shims.

The sidepods and modular floor extensions is something we carried out at our shop, there are way too many things we have done that had made it hard to finish the car , for example, building an exhaust system that sits inside the the frame has taken over 25 hours. One can get carried away, but when the work is done, it is almost a pleasure to look at, my two new employees have been able to help me through this exercise, without them there is no way, no way. later
    Last edited by JRMarchand; 06.16.12 at 10:29 PM.

Liked: 703

Quote Originally Posted by JRMarchand View Post
    Glen, thanks for the info on the shims, i think MikeB made some, but i sure seem to forget things.
    Yup, I have some shims like Glenn described, if you need them. Get that car ready for the double at GM!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information