Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Speachless. That's not a good enough response I suppose.

Thanks for the compliments, and the humor.
    The races are tomorrow and Sunday. There are some fierce competitors behind me on the grid. The winner of these races will have worked for it.

Things have come together for us. We have found a "sweet spot" with the setup that rewards my driving style. The car is very flattering to drive...

Liked: 49

So is the Citation a friends and family only kinda thing, or are people still obfuscated by sweeping body curves? Surprised that there aren't more of them out there!

Liked: 23

I can only think of one word-synchronicity.

You guys are awesome!

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Thanks for making me look like a total jerk. No one is going to believe you can spell "australopithecus" but not "speechless."

Liked: 1871

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    Schwietz and I read each other's minds. For example, without either of us saying a word, we both know instantly whenever he farts.
    So do most of the adjoining counties.......

So is the Citation a friends and family only kinda thing, or are people still obfuscated by sweeping body curves? Surprised that there aren't more of them out there!
    You have to know the secret handshake and tap dance steps first.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon
    The car is very flattering to drive...
    For a second there, I read that as "fattening"!

Liked: 23

You know? While in college after all the beer parties and women, we searched high and low to get guys like you to help us cheat on our mid-terms... but all you smart guys wanted to do was drink our beer and date our girls.

That's why I can't spell sync.....

Liked: 3787

In my tribute post i did quietly mention Wren (one sort of had to read between the lines ):

"add high quality machined parts,"

A few years ago, while watching Langbien build his car, in my own little world, i invented the phrase "Citation Co-op". To own and successfully race a Citation you must become a member of the Co-op. Citations are not delivered as anything close to a roller, it has to be considered more of a 'kit' with parts of the kit being supplied by many different members of the Co-op. Uprights are built in one state, chassis in another, bodywork someplace else. Not exactly a car for a newbie looking for a turn-key car to rapidly take racing. Thus you usually see more experienced racers in them, and definitely racers that are able to turn their own wrenches with skill. Citations go way way back, but the turning point in FC started with the upgraded design of DaveW's '94(95?). Even his car has gone through many winter "alterations" since then. No two cars are exactly the same, but the heritage is obvious if you study them closely. I personally think the breed has improved a lot in the last few years because of even more sharing of ideas between members of the co-op. While attending the "ICP Seminars" of old, one would understand the critical attention to getting all the possible mechanical grip possible from the platform, but also quietly in the background much attention was paid to aero. A notable marque in small bore formula car racing.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 06.09.12 at 2:01 PM.

3 in a row

Liked: 14

car doesnt break, or he gets taken out he is gonna win them all. As the series continues people willl step up their game and close the gap but it will be hard to do this season.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 1397

Default "Citation Co-op"

Mike:

Do I have to pay royalties if I use that phrase?

You are exactly on the money with that description. I got the idea from the home built airplane industry. Brandon actually flew his RV up to see me when we mapped out the plan to produce cars. The first batch of 9 are out and we are in the planning stages for another batch.

The cars have their foundation in the work of ED Zink and later Chuck Mathews. I have learned something from almost every driver who has ever driven a Zink/Citation over the decades. What you see today is the collective effort of a bunch of good drivers all working on the problems of going faster. That is a lot of brain power applied to the same problems.

What is really interesting is the cross fertilization that comes from building the same basic car for three different classes.

Ok, they just sent out this message over Race Monitor. Fess up, who stole the results sheet?

Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

No doubt the Dixon/Steve/Wren combination has some of the similarities of the brain thrust of a Penske/Donahue and the out of the box thinking they searched for as detailed in the book "The Unfair Advantage". Are they beatable? Absolutely, but we have some work to do.

It is great to see 5 chassis in the top 5 today. The CitaDixon, Stohr, Firman, Van Diemen and Élan and the Piper that holds the Mid Ohio track record and current National Champion Brain Novak will certainly show up at the top. I am sure the Factory supported Stohr and Firman are working their program. Us Van Diemen Nova conversion guys have the designer Jay Novak to leverage his knowledge and Mike Devins at HRP is working on our aero package. So I think we have a lot of energy in play that is great for F1000 and the Pro Series.

Michael
    Last edited by crowe motorsports; 06.10.12 at 10:47 PM.

Liked: 151

I feel like I am getting a little bit too much credit for helping belt Brandon in the car. All of the credit for his success belongs to him and Steve. I could be replaced with a well trained monkey.

Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Wren this is a set up

When Brandon starts losing, you don't think we would blame Brandon or Steve.

You will be the whipping boy

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I feel like I am getting a little bit too much credit for helping belt Brandon in the car. All of the credit for his success belongs to him and Steve. I could be replaced with a well trained monkey.
    Trust me, no one of sound mind is giving you any credit. Monkeys are way more accurate when it comes to feces throwing.

I could be replaced with a well trained monkey.
    Hell, even a badly trained monkey..........

The food and drink bill would be lower as well.

Liked: 49

Whatever it is, it's obvious that the combination is working incredibly well. Congrats to everyone involved and please let me know when a spot in the Co-Op opens up, I want in!

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    Whatever it is, it's obvious that the combination is working incredibly well. Congrats to everyone involved and please let me know when a spot in the Co-Op opens up, I want in!
    It only takes a phone call to get started

Liked: 0

True dat

Quite a lead already

Liked: 43

Wow!

Looks like the big guns loaded up with the wrong bullets today.

Liked: 59

Congrats to Bill McLaughlin! Great jobs to Richard and Jason, and to all the drivers! Look forward to a race recap.

Yep

So what happened?

Liked: 3787

Pure guess: a flock of Suzukis quit flying.

Broke a valve. Lots of attrition today.

Liked: 6

Interesting vid from this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_N9RiL9uDw

And he "barley" miss the bridge?

Liked: 2

I thought Verra rented a full season from TTM in the Elan that they bought. Has he changed to Philly Motorsports? Is that car still with the Honda engine?

Ken
    Ken

Liked: 0

Congrats to bill. Way to represent the Firman crew. Awesome job
    Last edited by Alex Pate; 06.11.12 at 8:44 PM. Reason: IPhone auto correct

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Man, the Kink is so much more fun than that Chicane!

TTMRacing

Quote Originally Posted by KenT View Post
    I thought Verra rented a full season from TTM in the Elan that they bought. Has he changed to Philly Motorsports? Is that car still with the Honda engine?

Ken
    TTMRacing had trouble with their transporter for NJ, so they rented Philidelphia's car for the event for Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Valet View Post
    Man, the Kink is so much more fun than that Chicane!
    The ladies at narra weren't comfortable with it, so they had to run the chicane. It would have been much more interesting with the full track.

Has anyone heard what happened to JR or Slahor's engines? Coop and Verra were out with non-engine related issues. Brandon broke a valve in an engine that was brand new at the runoffs last year and Mayer was an electrical issue.

Liked: 30

Novak Cracked cases on Saturday..

Liked: 16

Something went in the valve train during the standing start. Right after the start, the engine started missing and was down 1000 rpm on straight. I pulled in on 2nd lap so not to totally grenade the engine.

Not sure what's going on but man it sure is getting old. Left the car at a friends in Jersey so I'm not gonna dig into it for a while. If we get our checks I'll head to VIR. Good seeing/racing with the group. Hope everyone made it home ok.

Take Care,

J.R.O

How come no one told me we aren't ignoring the elephant any more?

Liked: 43

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    For the afternoon one and only Q the car feels like an animal on fresh skins, and the times were definitely going to come down. On my one and only flyer I came up on one of the newer drivers, running a car new to him for this one event only. As we approach the bridge, a place where you are flat up through the gears, he lifts massively, riiiiight as I am about to pop out to go by(e).
    It was a pretty solid ass packing - spun hime right round, took out my front nose, wing, damper cover which flew off and landed in the track, shiny side up , juuust off line and NO ONE ran it over - mirrors still attached and not broken, beat THAT!
    Further inspection back in the paddock revealed a tweaked/creased left lower A arm as well.
    GC
    Coop,

I was wondering when there would be some noob-entangulation in the series. It's unfortunate that it always a fast guy getting taken out. Hopefully some of that Mo$port podium money will cover the damages.It sounds like it was a frustrating weekend for many.

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Coop,

I was wondering when there would be some noob-entangulation in the series. It's unfortunate that it always a fast guy getting taken out. Hopefully some of that Mo$port podium money will cover the damages.It sounds like it was a frustrating weekend for many.
    Don't forget the tow fund.
    Ken

Liked: 14

Wren, were the valves new then,before the Runoffs, thanks jrm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information